Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > "Kung Fu Hustle" rules

"Kung Fu Hustle" rules
ReggieX
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2005, 11:40 PM

Saw the 2:10 show this afternoon, and it friggin' rocks. Everyone who likes silly kung fu movies must run and see it NOW.
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2005, 11:52 PM

well.. I got the region 3 official DVD. I love it.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2005, 12:05 AM

it does indeed "friggin' rock." i could not agree more.

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 23, 2005, 01:00 AM

I thought it was meaningless tripe. Some Chinese production house trying to impress western prodcos to get them to use their cheap but very talented special effects artists. It was an advert for outsourcing. It's like the Nike or Adidas film industry.

Here's a question for you with a shocking answer to follow later. Why are Chinese movies released in the US with subtitles but Japanese, Korean and other Asian films normally remade with western actors?

Mafia
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2005, 01:06 AM

despite rotr's remarks i still want to see it.
http://www.mafia-designs.com

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 23, 2005, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by Mafia
despite rotr's remarks i still want to see it.
I'm not saying don't see it. Grab and coke and popcorn and see it if you want. But I would recommend Oldboy over it any day.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2005, 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by RonnieoftheRose
Here's a question for you with a shocking answer to follow later. Why are Chinese movies released in the US with subtitles but Japanese, Korean and other Asian films normally remade with western actors?
I guess it's up-to the distributors.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2005, 02:14 AM

is it dubbed? I would like to hope not .

-Owl

Mafia
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2005, 02:20 AM

I'm not saying don't see it. Grab and coke and popcorn and see it if you want. But I would recommend Oldboy over it any day.
oldboy is old school. seen it 30 times atleast.

ReggieX  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2005, 10:57 AM

Nope, not dubbed. This ain't Miramax.

I thought it was meaningless tripe. Some Chinese production house trying to impress western prodcos to get them to use their cheap but very talented special effects artists. It was an advert for outsourcing. It's like the Nike or Adidas film industry.

WTF are you going on about?

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2005, 11:10 AM

being "chinese" on a technicality....

i can vouch that the chinese folk have their heasd up their asses. but i am assuming you mean that chinese movies are released here with subtitles because they are not worth re-making with western actors? it's true but it doesn't mean that kung fu hustle was not made without some love and care. stephen chow is a big deal in asia, he makes sure all his movies are top notch as he sees it. this may not not win oscars in america but i dont think any lindsay lohan movies are changing chinese cinema history either.

[i am unconfirmed on this but i think this film made a **** load of money in asia, perhaps most of all time in china.]

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2005, 11:11 AM

i don't agree ronnieoftherose.

stephen chao(sp?) did shaolin soccer before he did kung fu hustle. both movies had amazing special effects, but they were not what the movie was about.

but that's just my 2c

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2005, 01:43 PM

The bubblegum blonde Lindsay Lohan..

Stephen Chow is so much better.. not to mention, he likes Bruce Lee

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 23, 2005, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Apple Pro Underwear
being "chinese" on a technicality....

i can vouch that the chinese folk have their heasd up their asses. but i am assuming you mean that chinese movies are released here with subtitles because they are not worth re-making with western actors? ]
The actual reason is strongarm tactics by China's government (they same guys bullying Japan and Taiwan). Because it's centralised they have basically bullied the West into accepting that if western products and companies want business in China then they must be allowed to flood the west with their products and also be given outsourced jobs from which Chinese politicians make more money than Chinese workers. This has been going on for about six years now. Hence we get Chinese films getting good distribution in the US whereas Japanese, Indian and other Asian films get very limited release or are remade with western actors.

The films coming out of China since this policy began may be cool to people who like to see skinny Chinese warriors and mafias screaming their heads off but they are not as good as the films Hong Kong was putting out before it became part of China again and also not as good as the films China was making before Chinese trade opened up. They are draped with some great special effects but they come off as more of an advert for western production companies to use cheap Chinese post-production facilities and labour. So far it has worked a little but because America has unions to protect some of its workforce from being dumped the effect has been minimal unlike other sectors such as textile factories.

I remember watching Crouching Tiger before the hype machine made the public accept that it is a great movie. The audience laughed at how ridiculous and illogical it was. I mean, the characters should have taken a chill pill. Forget Stephen Chow. Watch Wong Kar Wai's work instead. if that kind of cinema gets more attention we'll get better movies and less choppy socky.
( Last edited by RonnieoftheRose; Apr 23, 2005 at 02:17 PM. )

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Apr 23, 2005, 02:18 PM

... The films coming out of China since this policy began may be cool to people who like to see skinny Chinese warriors and mafias screaming their heads off but they are not as good as the films Hong Kong was putting out before it became part of China again and also not as good as the films China was making before Chinese trade opened up. They are draped with some great special effects but they come off as more of an advert for western production companies to use cheap Chinese post-production facilities and labour. So far it has worked a little but because America has unions to protect some of its workforce from being dumped the effect has been minimal unlike other sectors such as textile factories. ...
You mean one "on-its-way" monopolist attempting to steal business from the "already-existing" monopolist?

Outrageous, indeed.

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 23, 2005, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by effgee
You mean one "on-its-way" monopolist attempting to steal business from the "already-existing" monopolist?

Outrageous, indeed.

Indeed. But on one side it's private and public enterprise while on the other there is government influence. Japan and India, being free economies, allow western distribution without any demands in return.

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Apr 23, 2005, 02:34 PM

Indeed. But on one side it's private and public enterprise while on the other there is government influence. Japan and India, being free economies, allow western distribution without any demands in return.
Nice dance around the issue ...

You're of course 100% correct that we're talking about two entirely different systems here - and the Chinese (imho) have by far the greater need for improvement.

But let's not really get into economics and related bullying tactics - because, aside from using (mostly) different tactics to excert pressure, the "Monopolists" in that case aren't really that different from each other. Neither is any other economic power when it comes to protecting their respective markets, of course.

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2005, 02:56 PM

I remember watching Crouching Tiger before the hype machine made the public accept that it is a great movie. The audience laughed at how ridiculous and illogical it was. I mean, the characters should have taken a chill pill. Forget Stephen Chow. Watch Wong Kar Wai's work instead. if that kind of cinema gets more attention we'll get better movies and less choppy socky.
in addition to your political stance you are also degrading stephen chow and his type of movie. your force is blocked, young padawan. your taste in movies is like my mom telling me eat broccoli. yeah, the movie you reccomend is "good" (good for you culturally/artistically)... what would i rather be seeing/eating? I'd rather be eating steak (and watching a movie that has a focus on entertaining as that is why i am in the theater).

i've been a great supporter of the "comedy" as a work of art. thats means, a comedy should be able to win an oscar as best picture in my opinion. a comedy should be looked upon with as much respect as a drama.

[edit: i have not seen KFH but know SC movies in general]

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 23, 2005, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Apple Pro Underwear
in addition to your political stance you are also degrading stephen chow and his type of movie. your force is blocked, young padawan. your taste in movies is like my mom telling me eat broccoli. yeah, the movie you reccomend is "good" (good for you culturally/artistically)... what would i rather be seeing/eating? I'd rather be eating steak (and watching a movie that has a focus on entertaining as that is why i am in the theater).

i've been a great supporter of the "comedy" as a work of art. thats means, a comedy should be able to win an oscar as best picture in my opinion. a comedy should be looked upon with as much respect as a drama.

[edit: i have not seen KFH but know SC movies in general]
Yes, and Jackie Chan is the king of Chinese comedy. Movies like Project A (1 and 2) and his Lucky Stars movies with Samo Hung and Yeun Biao were much better than the stuff out now. Jackie knows how to chill unlike those grey teeth fugly people in Chow's movies.

andretan
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 23, 2005, 03:00 PM

I preferred Kung Fu Hustle over Shaolin Soccer. I thought the latter was pretty lame.

Too many special effects kinda makes the show bloated. I still think old-school Stephen Chow movies rock.

BTW, if you understand Cantonese, KFH's much more enjoyable.
( Last edited by andretan; Apr 23, 2005 at 03:09 PM. )
mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
iBook R.I.P. 20 Nov 2002 - 2 Aug 2005
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 23, 2005, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by andretan
I preferred Kung Fu Hustle over Shaolin Soccer. I thought the latter was pretty lame.

BTW, if you understand Cantonese, KFU's much more enjoyable.
I'm sure it was Mandarin...???

andretan
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 23, 2005, 03:10 PM

I'm sure it was Mandarin...???
The Region 3 version is Mandarin, but the "original" show was recorded in Cantonese... and I think it's available as a D9...
mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
iBook R.I.P. 20 Nov 2002 - 2 Aug 2005
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2005, 04:07 PM

I'll see it tomorrow....

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2005, 04:09 PM

NetFlix.

Mafia
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2005, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by ManOfSteal
NetFlix.
bittorrent... whoops, did i say that outloud. =X

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2005, 06:18 PM

Is whats in the theaters dubbed?!

-Owl

historylme
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2005, 06:50 PM

I saw the DVD and it's great! ... oh, wait, I mean, I saw it. Great message in the end.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2005, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Mafia
bittorrent... whoops, did i say that outloud. =X

I started to NOT supporting the torrent community.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2005, 07:52 PM

The Region 3 version is Mandarin, but the "original" show was recorded in Cantonese... and I think it's available as a D9...
Mine is Cantonese..

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2005, 01:12 AM

it rocks

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Apr 24, 2005, 01:36 AM

I thought Shaolin Soccer was frickin' hilarious, and better than Kung Fu Hustle, although I thought Kung Fu Hustle was not bad either. The best part of Shaolin Soccer was cut out of the North American DVD for some reason. The scene was a Thriller parody.

BTW, both of these movies would suck if you watch the dubbed version.

Confirmed! RonnieoftheRose has no clue WTF he's talking about when it comes to Chinese movies. What an insult to Stephen Chow.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2005, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by Kenneth
I started to NOT supporting the torrent community.
I started to not correcting people's grammar. Ooops.

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 24, 2005, 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
Confirmed! RonnieoftheRose has no clue WTF he's talking about when it comes to Chinese movies. What an insult to Stephen Chow.

You have teh small Chinese penis!!!!!11111

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Apr 24, 2005, 01:40 AM

You have teh small Chinese penis!!!!!11111
Defensive?

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Apr 24, 2005, 01:49 AM

-- other part of misleading rant deleted --

You mean like that awesome flick 2046?

[/sarcasm]

Yeah, I like Wong Kar Wai too, but he has no lock on good movies (as 2046 might demonstrate). Some of us can look past the snobbishness and enjoy other types of movies too.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2005, 06:10 AM

Ok, since no one answered me, I had to resort to asking my little brother.

And, yes, it is subtitled in theaters. (if anyone else wanted to know)

-Owl

ReggieX  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2005, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by OwlBoy
Ok, since no one answered me, I had to resort to asking my little brother.

And, yes, it is subtitled in theaters. (if anyone else wanted to know)
I answered you in my second post, sorry to sound harsh there.

RonnieoftheRose must be Kelly Hogan, and therefore worth ignoring.
( Last edited by ReggieX; Apr 25, 2005 at 11:05 AM. )

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2005, 07:11 PM

Very sorry! not use to replies on top of quotes, Even had trouble finding it the second time.

Yay for it not being Mirimax too I assumed it was, thats why I worried. They totally dropped the ball with Shoulin Soccer.

-Owl

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 24, 2005, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by ReggieX
I answered you in my second post, bud.

RonnieoftheRose must be Kelly Hogan, and therefore worth ignoring.

Looks like a Stephen Chow movie.

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2005, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by ReggieX
RonnieoftheRose must be Kelly Hogan
Wow. That takes me back.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2005, 11:18 PM

Kelly who?

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 25, 2005, 04:06 AM

The first rule of Gong Fu is, you do not talk about Gong Fu,

ReggieX  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2005, 11:06 AM

Very sorry! not use to replies on top of quotes, Even had trouble finding it the second time.

Yay for it not being Mirimax too I assumed it was, thats why I worried. They totally dropped the ball with Shoulin Soccer.
Nah, I was a bit harsh there. Sorry
Sony Pictures Classics also did "House Of Flying Daggers" which is why that didn't take 3 years to get released. Gah, after what Miramax did to all the Jackie Chan flicks and "Iron Monkey" I hope no Asian film maker ever deals with them again.

The first rule of Gong Fu is, you do not talk about Gong Fu,
Dude, you're talking about it again!

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 25, 2005, 12:00 PM

Isn't the movie a relatively old movie? I think it's been out in Asia for over a year now.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

ReggieX  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2005, 01:41 PM

It's not old, only came out in December: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0373074/releaseinfo

Forum Links
Forum Rules