Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Gas stoves rock!

View Poll Results: Gas stoves rock!
Poll Options:
Yes, gas stoves rock! 28 votes (73.68%)
Yes, electric stoves suck! 10 votes (26.32%)
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll
Gas stoves rock!
ReggieX
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2005, 11:48 PM

Electric stoves suck!
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2005, 11:49 PM

whoa. that's heavy man.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2005, 11:56 PM

I voted yes.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2005, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by d4nth3m4n
whoa. that's heavy man.
There's that word again; "heavy". Why are things so heavy in the future? Is there a problem with the earth's gravitational pull?

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2005, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by Ghoser777
There's that word again; "heavy". Why are things so heavy in the future? Is there a problem with the earth's gravitational pull?
great quote.

but yeah....i much prefer a gas stove.....unfortunately not available to me where i am without a *very* hefty premium that is not really worth it to me at the moment
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2005, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by Ghoser777
You're not thinking fourth-dimensionally.

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2005, 12:34 AM

I never had a gas stove until I bought the house I'm in now, and I gotta say I much prefer it to electric.

Having gas is the sh1t

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2005, 12:43 AM

I have paranoid delusional fantasies and I'm always worried the pilot lights are out and I'm going to blow myself up when I light a candle or something. But, I can make smores with my stove so that makes it trump the marginal safety of electric.

Railroader
Banned
Aug 2, 2005, 03:13 AM

MY wife once convinced me to get one of those flat top glass ranges. ARG!!! It was the most miserable appliance I have ever used. It was a very expensive Maytag model. I thought it was defective it sucked so bad. The old coil top electric model was 1,000 times better than that thing.

"Now we're cooking with gas!"

jebjeb
Senior User
Aug 2, 2005, 03:19 AM

Gas cooktops (the actual table top burners) do rock. I have pretty much always had a gas cooktop.

However, gas ovens suck the big one. Electric ovens are much better. I guess that makes my kitchen a hybrid

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Aug 2, 2005, 03:38 AM

Well, with electric, you have to specify whether it's a normal heating coil unit, the kind with the big iron circles, the glasstop type, or induction.

Induction stoves are amazing: they heat faster (!) than gas, and release FAR less waste heat into the room, saving lots of energy if air conditioning is in use. They're also really safe, since a burner can be turned on, but with no pan on it, it will not get even the tiniest bit hot. It really is like the best of both worlds. The only downside is that they cost a lot and require all your cookware to contain iron (be it the whole piece, or an iron core). These work by using a big electromagnet that excites the iron molecules in the cookware, causing them to vibrate, causing friction which creates heat. Since the heat is created in the pan (rather than being created elsewhere and then transferred to the pan), it's very efficient and speedy.

Exposed-coil electric works pretty well, but has terrible heat control, and are a witch-with-a-capital-B to clean.

The electric with the solid iron rounds reduce "hot spots", but have absolutely terrible temperature control, taking forever to heat up or cool down. Cleaning is easier, though.

Glasstops I like. They heat fairly quickly, cool fairly quickly, and are super easy to clean -- just wipe it down, use a razor-blade scraper to remove anything that cakes on. No gaps = nowhere for food to get stuck.

Gas stovetops are great (my personal favorite), have superb heat control, but can get really gunky with so many places for grease to hide. They also allow a lot of waste heat into the room.

Electric ovens come in two kinds: regular and "convection". The regular kinds just have coils in the top and bottom, but the heat can sometimes be uneven. Convection models use forced air to even out temperature within the cooking cavity, allowing much more even cooking. Electric heat is true dry heat, making it great for all types of baking. (Moisture can be added if needed.)

Gas ovens also can have uneven heating. But the biggest problem with gas ovens is that the combustion of gas creates water vapor as a combustion byproduct, so it's not true dry heat. This makes it harder for some types of things to bake or broil properly.

There's also another type of oven, which uses light to cook. Various wavelengths of light are used, some of which penetrate, while others crisp the surface. These ovens cook with convection-like results but in microwave-like time. I want one when i grow up.

tooki

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 2, 2005, 07:35 AM

Given what tooki says about induction stoves, I'll temper my hatred for electric cooking by saying that I've hated every coil-type electric stove I've ever had to use. They take too long to heat up, they stay hot too long after you've turned them off, and they're much harder to control the heat from. Gas is what I learned to cook on, it is much easier for me to control, and when it's off, it's OFF. Further, I spend a lot less per BTU for natural gas than I would for electricity to cook with.

However, I think this poll is poorly written; the options should be different, not equivalent!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2005, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by tooki
Induction stoves are amazing: they heat faster (!) than gas, and release FAR less waste heat into the room, saving lots of energy if air conditioning is in use. They're also really safe, since a burner can be turned on, but with no pan on it, it will not get even the tiniest bit hot. It really is like the best of both worlds. The only downside is that they cost a lot and require all your cookware to contain iron (be it the whole piece, or an iron core). These work by using a big electromagnet that excites the iron molecules in the cookware, causing them to vibrate, causing friction which creates heat. Since the heat is created in the pan (rather than being created elsewhere and then transferred to the pan), it's very efficient and speedy.
tooki
This sounds supercool, One of the main things I never liked about Electric was the way it all stayed burning hot for ages after it went out. Never seen this type though.
We have a Gas stove top (or hob), but it has a flat glass base (like an electric) on which the burners and 'pot stands' sit on top. All the cleaning plus points the glass electric hobs get, also aply to this.

SVass
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2005, 10:15 AM

I saw a show on Discovery HD yesterday that said that gas (open fire) stoves provide Chi to the house whereas electric stoves do not. Thus, they are superior. Now if someone can explain what that means, I will be satisfied. sam

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 2, 2005, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter
However, I think this poll is poorly written; the options should be different, not equivalent!
That was the point.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 2, 2005, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by SVass
I saw a show on Discovery HD yesterday that said that gas (open fire) stoves provide Chi to the house whereas electric stoves do not. Thus, they are superior. Now if someone can explain what that means, I will be satisfied. sam
Google for "feng shui".

ReggieX  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2005, 10:45 AM

Mainly I'm annoyed that I went to use the oven last night to bake my burritos, and it didn't turn on. I think it's a burnt fuse, but I didn't investigate to closely. And it was past 6pm, so not much was open by then.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 2, 2005, 12:06 PM

Baking with electric is the WORST! You absolutely NEED a good thermometer to set an electric oven, and you need to watch it carefully too-especially with older ovens. Gas ovens appear to be much more consistent and their knobs seem to be better calibrated too. And they warm up faster and more evenly, making it easier and quicker to get anything done with them.

Yes, I'm a gas cooking fanatic.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ReggieX  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2005, 01:03 PM

One tip I have heard to prevent burning your first tray of cookies or other baked goods: don't put them in the oven right away, open the door once, then close again, and wait for the temperature to equalize back to the thermometer setting. The theory being that by opening the door, you cool the oven enough that it has to kick the juice back on the get the temperature back to your original setting, thereby burning your first batch of cookies.

I'm not so much a fanatic as someone who's gotten very used to them over the years, and after 5 years in my old apartment, old habits die hard

Kevin
Baninated
Aug 2, 2005, 01:07 PM

I hate electric because there is no quick way to roast a marshmellow

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Aug 2, 2005, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
Baking with electric is the WORST! You absolutely NEED a good thermometer to set an electric oven, and you need to watch it carefully too-especially with older ovens. Gas ovens appear to be much more consistent and their knobs seem to be better calibrated too. And they warm up faster and more evenly, making it easier and quicker to get anything done with them.

Yes, I'm a gas cooking fanatic.
Sounds to me like you've been using defective electric stoves! A properly functioning one will maintain a proper temperature.

And as I said, gas combustion creates moisture which harms some baking processes.

tooki

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2005, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin
I hate electric because there is no quick way to roast a marshmellow
I use those ligther stick things to do a single marshmellow

Kevin
Baninated
Aug 2, 2005, 01:25 PM

Now that is dedication.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 2, 2005, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by ReggieX
One tip I have heard to prevent burning your first tray of cookies or other baked goods: don't put them in the oven right away, open the door once, then close again, and wait for the temperature to equalize back to the thermometer setting. The theory being that by opening the door, you cool the oven enough that it has to kick the juice back on the get the temperature back to your original setting, thereby burning your first batch of cookies.
And what happens when you open the oven door the *second* time to put in the cookies is different from that *how* exactly?

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2005, 02:11 PM

Get a baking stone or two and put them in the oven and it will stop the temperature from spiking when you open the door.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2005, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by BLAZE_MkIV
Get a baking stone or two and put them in the oven and it will stop the temperature from spiking when you open the door.

Yup, I keep a pizza stone on the bottom rack. Not only does it not take up space in a cupboard it keeps an even temp in the oven.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 2, 2005, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by residentEvil
Yup, I keep a pizza stone on the bottom rack. Not only does it not take up space in a cupboard it keeps an even temp in the oven.
Ha, I always kept it in the oven for storage. Didn't know there were other good 'side effects'

-t

spatterson
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2005, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by ReggieX
Mainly I'm annoyed that I went to use the oven last night to bake my burritos, and it didn't turn on. I think it's a burnt fuse, but I didn't investigate to closely. And it was past 6pm, so not much was open by then.
Where do you live... everything here is open till 11ish sometimes 24hrs

Forum Links
Forum Rules