Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > control panel crash w/ screen saver

control panel crash w/ screen saver
DoGoodDrugs
Feb 21, 2006, 04:27 PM

everytime i try to go to the screen saver to change it, at first the system preferences crashes 3 times, then when i change it it says to you want to keep the new settings or original settings, either way it never changes..
anyhelp?

intel imac 10.4.5

~DGD
( Last edited by DoGoodDrugs; Feb 21, 2006 at 09:18 PM. )

DoGoodDrugs  (op)
Feb 27, 2006, 01:17 AM

any help at all? where do i start?

JKT
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2006, 06:54 AM

1. Go to ~/Library/Preferences/ and temporarily remove the ByHost folder to your Desktop. Re-launch Sys Prefs and try to access the screen saver prefs. Not crashing anymore? Quit Sys Prefs and delete the preferences for the various screen savers from the ByHost folder on your desktop and replace it in the ~/Library folder. Re-launch Sys Prefs etc and see if crashing returns or not. If not then reset your preferences for all your screen savers.

Still crashing?

2. Scan through the preferences files in ~/Library/Preferences to make sure you have removed all the screen saver prefs.

3. go to /Library/PreferencePanes folder and ~/Library/PreferencePanes folder and temporarily remove any items in them to e.g. your Desktop. Re-launch Sys Prefs and try to access the screen saver prefs. Not crashing anymore? One of your third party screen savers is conflicting with the system - do you have the latest versions of each and when were they last released (maybe they are no longer compatible with the system at all)? Trial and error should show which one(s) you need to update or remove permanently.

That should do it.

P.S. As you are on an Intel Mac, it is likely that no.3 is your problem if you migrated an older system over as it is 99% probable that any third party screensavers have not been updated for the Intel systems yet.

DoGoodDrugs  (op)
Feb 27, 2006, 01:40 PM

awsome help my friend... it was the first one... i had tried deleting the preferences in the pref folder with no avail... but going into the ByHost folder worked... it seemed to be a problem with the itunes ablum art screensaver, and although its good, im glad i can change it now.

kat81
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 19, 2006, 03:35 PM

Great advice. Worked for me too. I've only had my new intel iMac for a few days when after setting my screensaver to iTunes artwork it started to crash everytime I used screensaver system preference. I also got my scroll wheel working again after it stopped scrolling down. Found in another forum to hold the button down.... scroll and it worked again. Thank you MacNN forums

Forum Links
Forum Rules