Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Cannot Clear "Firewire not supported" msg - 2GB Nano

Cannot Clear "Firewire not supported" msg - 2GB Nano
steveinva
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 6, 2006, 09:41 AM

Thanks in advance for help on this.
My 2GB Nano has this msg on screen that I cannot clear:
"Charged" (in menu bar at top) "Firewire connections are not supported. To transfer songs, connect the USB cable provided. Press center to dismiss."

Pressing center doesn't clear msg. Have pressed everything...No such luck.
Any idea how to clear screen and regain use of this pesky -pod.
Guessing my kid plugged into the firewire cable from her old Mini...

THANKS -- steveinva

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2006, 10:49 AM

I had the same problem with a nano and an existing FireWire cable. I had to plug it into the USB cable and restore it. But I have used the FireWire cable many other times to charge them without a problem.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 6, 2006, 10:51 AM

Try resetting it by holding down the play and menu buttons.

steveinva  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 6, 2006, 11:39 AM

Tried the 'play and menu button' combo, Icruise. Didn't reset -- screen is the same. What do I do to Restore as suggested by Sherman....?
THANKS

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 6, 2006, 11:47 AM

Sorry, try the select button (middle button) and the menu button (play was used for some earlier models). And make sure you have the hold button off.

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2006, 11:51 AM

steveinva  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 6, 2006, 02:16 PM

THANKS to both of you. That worked.

rickhurley12
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2007, 11:23 AM

I am having this same problem. Message does clear but returns almost immediately. I only use the cord that came in the box when i purchased device, so i am unsure why it is saying this. If anybody has any suggestions i would really appreciate it. My device is a 1gb Nano

schwarz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 21, 2007, 02:39 PM

Well I've had very simmilar problem with my video ipod 30gb but I found out that it may have been caused by ipod port having contact with water. It's best to put your ipod on the sun for some hours so the water can evaporate.

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2007, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by schwarz View Post
Well I've had very simmilar problem with my video ipod 30gb but I found out that it may have been caused by ipod port having contact with water. It's best to put your ipod on the sun for some hours so the water can evaporate.
Quoted For Truth

kirstarr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 6, 2008, 08:47 AM

I also have a 30GB Ipod Video that has this problem of the "Firewire connections are not supported. To transfer songs, connect the USB cable provided" message coming up when i am just playing songs. I don't own a firewire cable and have never used one.

On top of this error coming up, my laptop now doesn't recognise my Ipod and says that it's an unknown USB device which has malfunctioned. I've tried resetting many times, and draining my Ipod's battery, but this doesn't work.

Any ideas??

thewagners2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2008, 08:44 PM

I also have a 4GB Ipod that has this problem of the "Firewire connections are not supported. To transfer songs, connect the USB cable provided" message coming up when i turn it on or plug it into my usb cord. I don't own a firewire cable and have never used one.

On top of this error coming up, my laptop now doesn't recognize my Ipod and says that it's an unknown USB device which has malfunctioned. I've tried resetting many times, and draining my Ipod's battery, but this doesn't work.

Any ideas??

victor10
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 22, 2008, 06:27 PM

well my ipod says Firewire connections are not supported. To transfer songs, connect the USB cable provided press center to dismiss" and my ipod is not detected on my computer and my ipod only charges when connected to a computer and i really want to put songs on my ipod before my flight and {menu and center} doesnt work

victor10
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 22, 2008, 06:27 PM

well my ipod says Firewire connections are not supported. To transfer songs, connect the USB cable provided press center to dismiss" and my ipod is not detected on my computer and my ipod only charges when connected to a computer and i really want to put songs on my ipod before my flight and {menu and center} doesnt work

Forum Links
Forum Rules