Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Best Bluetooth Mouse for Powerbook 12"

Best Bluetooth Mouse for Powerbook 12"
rsgunther
Feb 1, 2004, 06:39 PM

My wife & I just got a 12" powerbook (1ghz, combo, 768 RAM). I bought the Apple Bluetooth mouse, but had me return it since it only has 1 button. She wants a multi-button Bluetooth mouse. I looked at the Logitech MX-900 & the Microsoft Bluetooth Optical in the store. However, neither of them show OSX Support on the box (or any type of Mac support).

Are there any Bluetooth multi-button mice available for OSX with Software for OSX? (So I can configure the buttons & such) I figured both the Logitech & the Microsoft Mouse would work, but I didn't buy them since I didn't think I would be able to get all the buttons to work, or be able to configure them properly.

KidKit
Forum Regular
Feb 1, 2004, 07:00 PM

The microsoft bluetooth mouse works out of the box, but it doesn't have specific software drivers for you to configure keys and stuff.

Belkin also makes a BT mouse that is OS X compatible... you might want to check out if they have software for customizing your mouse buttons.

If you don't mind an adaptor in the USB port, kensington makes excellent RF mice, and their mousework sys prefs pane addon is very customizable.

NYGEO18
Forum Regular
Feb 2, 2004, 12:29 AM

MS Bluetooth mouse works very well for me. The only gripe I have is the slightly long wakeup time...about 3 seconds after wake. Otherwise tracking is fast with little lag, and I have expose set to my thumb buttons. I had the MX900 too from logitech. Also a great mouse with less lag and a bit more customizable. Also the MX900 is rechargable.
All in all for the $$$ the Microsoft was the choice for me...and I havent looked back.
Awaiting a new driver to really take this thing to the next level...
G
"Drinking and driving is wrong, but hey, the kids gotta get to school right?"
-Dave Attell

thirsty
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 2, 2004, 10:37 AM

I just purchased the MX-900 for my new 15"AL and find it superb. Unfortunatley there are no OSX drivers to configure the buttons but i still have right clicking and the scroll wheel, the rest will come later. It was $30 dearer than the apple pro but it had the 2 extra buttons I wanted. Plus it's rechargeable, I'll wait for the drivers and it will be perfect in my book!
if you can't be part of the solution don't be part of the problem!!!!

DeRobeHer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 2, 2004, 12:29 PM

I have the MS BlueTooth mouse. It doesn't require any drivers, but you don't get as much button customization as you might want. The scroll wheel works fine, and the two thumb buttons are usable with Expose, but that's about it, as far as I can tell. Still, I love having the Expose buttons right there.
--
Donald Roeber
Generating 2048 bits of randomness...

HvyMtlMdns
Forum Regular
Feb 2, 2004, 08:24 PM

I purchased the MX-900 about two weeks ago and really love it. Though there are no drivers for OS X, I have all of the buttons except for three programed using Expose. It is very responsive and comfortable. I use the cradle only for recharging as the built in Bluetooth on my 17AL recognizes the mouse without any problems.
MacMini 2.0 Ghz C2D/160GB/2GB RAM/8x Dual-Layer SD/3X 1 TB Ext HDs; iMac C2D 20" 2.66 GHz/320GB/2GB RAM/8x Dual-Layer SD/20" Display with external 20" Apple Cinema Display; PB G4 1.67 GHz 17"/250GB/1 GB RAM/8x Dual-Layer SD; 5G iPod Classic 160GB; 2G iPod Shuffle; AppleTV

rsgunther  (op)
Feb 2, 2004, 08:52 PM

thanks for all the replies. We are still debating. For right now, I have the logitech studio mouse (wired) and it is great. We considering options & will probably get either the logitech or the MS mouse and sell the logitech. Not sure which one to get yet.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 3, 2004, 06:18 AM

I'm interested in such a mouse for my rev b 12" PowerBook too, but I haven't seen these mice at the store actually. So let me ask a couple of questions concerning the MX900 and the MS mouse (because some of the posts aren't quite clear to me):

- How many buttons apart from left, right, middle/wheel?

- Built in rechargeable battery or normal exchangeable batteries? What kind? How many? How long do they last?

- Cradle necessary? Is the internal BT module enough? Or is the cradle necessary to charge batteries only?

- To use left, middle, right, wheel (and maybe expose on other buttons) do i need special driver software or can i just use it with panther w/o any software install at all?

Thanks in advance for the clarification.

HvyMtlMdns
Forum Regular
Feb 3, 2004, 12:47 PM

Originally posted by Simon:
I'm interested in such a mouse for my rev b 12" PowerBook too, but I haven't seen these mice at the store actually. So let me ask a couple of questions concerning the MX900 and the MS mouse (because some of the posts aren't quite clear to me):

- Built in rechargeable battery or normal exchangeable batteries? What kind? How many? How long do they last?

- Cradle necessary? Is the internal BT module enough? Or is the cradle necessary to charge batteries only?

- To use left, middle, right, wheel (and maybe expose on other buttons) do i need special driver software or can i just use it with panther w/o any software install at all?

- There are 8 total (left, right, scroll wheel, one forward of scroll wheel, two behind scroll wheel, and a forward and back set of buttons on the left hand side)

- 2 AA replaceable batteries - you can use regular or rechargeable batteries. I've been getting several days use out the rechargeables that came with it.

- The cradle is necessary only if you want to use the recharging capability. You could ditch it if you have a second set of batteries and a recharger, but it is convenient to just drop it in the cradle at night.

- The only two buttons that don't work are the forward and back buttons on the left hand side. You can program the rest via Expos� (though you won't use all of them). This is all done using 10.3 without additional drivers.
MacMini 2.0 Ghz C2D/160GB/2GB RAM/8x Dual-Layer SD/3X 1 TB Ext HDs; iMac C2D 20" 2.66 GHz/320GB/2GB RAM/8x Dual-Layer SD/20" Display with external 20" Apple Cinema Display; PB G4 1.67 GHz 17"/250GB/1 GB RAM/8x Dual-Layer SD; 5G iPod Classic 160GB; 2G iPod Shuffle; AppleTV

NYGEO18
Forum Regular
Feb 3, 2004, 05:29 PM

Originally posted by Simon:

That previous answer was for the MX900...
Heres the MS BT...

1) there are 2 buttons besides the 3 standard (L,R,SW). They are below the right thumb area.

2) the MS mouse uses regular alkaline but has really superb lifespan. I have changed mine once in the 2 months I have owned it...never been a problem for me.

3) Internal BT module is all you need to use the mouse. I gave the BT module to my girlfriend so she could use the mouse on her ibook if she needs to.

4) No drivers are neccessary to use the buttons on the mouse...provided you program the thumb buttons to expose features. The preference pane for expose recognizes these thumb buttons.

i have owned both the MX900 and the MS BT. I chose the MS mouse because of its cheaper price, nicer styling, better feel. The MX900 gives you the rechargable batteries and cradle for $30 more.
-Dave Attell

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 4, 2004, 05:49 AM

HvyMtlMdns & NYGEO18, thanks to both of you for sharing your knowledge.

So I guess in the end both work fine with Panther, there is no need bto install additional drivers and it all boils down to one is cheaper, the other is more expensive but comes with a recharger cradle.

Great. I'll take a look at both at the shop. Thanks guys!

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2004, 07:06 AM

Yup, got the MS BlueTooth Explorer Mouse, nice mouse, but don't get to use the back/forth buttons which I did with my RF one. . .

Kinda got use to it though.
PowerBook G4
1.25GHz/512MB/80GB/SuperDrive/BT/APX/Backlit KB

curmudgeon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 5, 2004, 04:58 PM

Am I the only one that really likes the bluetooth mouse that Apple makes?

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2004, 05:06 PM

Originally posted by curmudgeon:
No But now that I've gotten used to 2 buttons I can't go back to using 1.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

NYGEO18
Forum Regular
Feb 5, 2004, 11:01 PM

Originally posted by curmudgeon:
I love the design but cannot accept the single button. Apple is out of their minds not offering more options on its mice. They have probably lost untold money on people who in their heart of hearts DONT WANT TO buy non-mac peripherals...especially microsoft ones...but have to beacuse in 2004 a one button mouse is not sufficient. If their choice is based on remaining true to classic macs they are working contrary to their forward thinking spirit and mentality in every other endeavor. In that case why not just revert to CRT monitors and 3.5 diskdrives....heck why not go back to os8?
also...If I can think of one gripe that windows users have about macs...one reason why they wouldnt switch...its the one button mouse (they rarely understand that OSX supports as many buttons as windows its just a matter of buying a multibutton mouse)
Bottom line...Apple WILL fold on this issue. WHEN that occurs will determine "win-mac switcher" percentage and profits in the future.
-Dave Attell

hostvisions
Feb 6, 2004, 11:07 AM

Apple is out of their minds not offering more options on its mice.
Amen bro-tha! Completely insane that they haven't introduced a multi-buttoned critter yet.

rsgunther  (op)
Feb 22, 2004, 11:27 PM

Well after much debate, I went ahead & bought the Microsoft Bluetooth.

I ordered it from amazon today for just under $63.00 shipped.. seemed like a great deal.

I tried the Belkin in person and didn't like it too well. I have seen both the MS & the logitech. I like the Logitech, but don't like having a dock (wireless means no wires!). So I ordered the MS.

Will let everyone know how it works.

mism
Feb 23, 2004, 09:59 AM

is the MS bluetooth mouse only available as a right handed model?

hostvisions
Feb 23, 2004, 10:08 AM

I picked up the Apple BT mouse/keyboard this weekend. BOth work very well with my 17" PB.

rsgunther  (op)
Feb 23, 2004, 09:37 PM

As far as I know the MS mouse only comes in one configuration --- right handed.

I had bought the Apple Mouse & Keyboard (bluetooth) - but my wife made me return them... she didn't want the keyboard, and the mouse only had 1 button (so she didn't want it). I never even opened them up.

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2004, 12:37 AM

i'll grab a BT mouse when I know all the button will be working...

only thing holding me back from some of the models discussed here...
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

crispinwilliams
Feb 26, 2004, 07:56 AM

I have just bought a BLUETAKE bt500 mouse.. this works without problem out of the box. it has 3 buttons (left - right - centre is coupled to scroll wheel) + scroll wheel. It takes two of these small AAA batteries (no base station - no way of charging them) - but it has an off/on switch. It is small - half the size of other mouses I have used; but I think that I will like its smallness once I am used to it.
see link below for a full review
http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content_mo...contentid=2102

anaphora68
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 26, 2004, 09:30 AM

I have the MS Bluetooth Mouse and it works like a charm. All of the buttons work, I have some of the extra buttons configured for use with Expose.

Now I'm just waiting for my second display and bluetooth keyboard to come in from apple...

hostvisions
Feb 26, 2004, 09:58 AM

Where did you buy that mouse? I can't seem to find any order info/pricing on their website.

Keda
Senior User
Feb 26, 2004, 10:02 AM

How are the weights of the BT mice?

i use a Kensington USB Studio Mouse. I was turned of by the wireless version (non-BT) because of the weight. Do the BT mice feel heavy in your hand?

<side note> I wish Apple would give up the 1-button. It seems that even the OS is designed for 2 button, not to mention apps</side note>

anaphora68
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 26, 2004, 10:12 AM

I bought the mouse at Best Buy. They had a few other bluetooth mice as well.

crispinwilliams
Feb 26, 2004, 11:21 AM

Originally posted by Keda:
How are the weights of the BT mice?

i use a Kensington USB Studio Mouse. I was turned of by the wireless version (non-BT) because of the weight. Do the BT mice feel heavy in your hand?

<side note> I wish Apple would give up the 1-button. It seems that even the OS is designed for 2 button, not to mention apps</side note>
The bluelake bt500 mouse is light and small.. Maybe 18 months ago I bought a wireless (non BT) mouse made by logitech - and I agree it was irritatingly heavy...

Info about where I bought it: ARP Datacon in Switzerland ... but I had to ask Bluelake for a name of a reseller... it was not possible to find otherwise.

anaphora68
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 26, 2004, 12:11 PM

The mice are a bit heavy, but honestly it beats using the cramped trackpad on a powerbook. Plus it's nice to have more than one button.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2004, 10:40 AM

Hi all, I am looking for a wireless mouse with some buttons, so about the two ms mices: (rf versus bt):

- the Bluetooth model doesn�t look so ergonomic as the rf model.
- the Bluetooth model comes only in one patern/color, and it is pc-ish
- the Bluetooth model seems less responsive that the rf model.
- the Bluetooth model lacks Intellipoint software, at least actually.
- the Bluetooth model lacks Tilt Technology.

Fozz_uk
Forum Regular
Feb 27, 2004, 11:56 AM

Yeah Microsoft's BT mouse does seem a bit lacking compared to their RF ones. I guess the lack of a tilt-wheel is due to the fact that the BT model has been out for some time now and thus dosen't have the newer features. They'll probably update it eventually...

Jerome
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 27, 2004, 05:03 PM

I have the Logitech and installed USB overdrive. You will be able to customize everything on the mouse. You can have specific settings for some applications (like I do with After Effects, Photoshop and Safari). Get it on www.versiontracker.com

direktor
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 27, 2004, 05:15 PM

I have the MX900, and managed to get all the buttons working to my liking.

The key is using Gamepad Companion to assign actions to the buttons that USB Overdrive can't see. I grew accustomed to the forward and backwards buttons on the side of an MS mouse, and was dying to get the same working on the MX900.

10.3 sees the extra buttons via the HID interface, but there's no mouse utilty that can access those except for Gamepad Companion, to my knowledge.

CyberDave
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 27, 2004, 05:21 PM

Originally posted by Jerome:
I have the Logitech and installed USB overdrive. You will be able to customize everything on the mouse. You can have specific settings for some applications (like I do with After Effects, Photoshop and Safari). Get it on www.versiontracker.com
So you're saying that USB Overdrive allows full configuration of the Logitech Bluetooth mouse's buttons under OS X?

Has anyone tried it with the Microsoft Bluetooth mouse?

I've been wanting to get a BT mouse for quite some time now, but the thing that's holdng me back is the lack of full driver support from the vendors. I've gotten so used to the side buttons on my MS Intellimouse Explorer (programmed as forward/backward) that I couldn't stand to be without them at all.

Being able to use USB Overdrive would be great.

Also, for those using external Bluetooth modules, do you have to re-pair the mouse to the computer every time you plug it in (I ask because I currently share my keyboard/mouse with my PC through a simple USB KVM...just wondering if a BT mouse would work well in that setup.).

CyberDave

direktor
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 27, 2004, 05:50 PM

USB Overdrive doesn't allow access to the extra buttons (4 thru 8) on my MX900

EdipisReks
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 27, 2004, 05:51 PM

does gamepad companion work with the M$ Bluetooth intellimouse Explorer? thanks.

EdipisReks
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 27, 2004, 05:52 PM

Originally posted by direktor:
USB Overdrive doesn't allow access to the extra buttons (4 thru 8) on my MX900
gamepad companion apparently does. i would suggest snagging it off versiontracker.

LordJohnWhorfin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2004, 07:08 PM

You gotta love how these days every crappy little idea gets pompously labeled "technology". Despite what they call it, it's not a "technology", just a feature, and I have only read fairly negative reviews of it so far.

Anyway, the M$ keyboard + mouse combination is only $75 at Amazon, so it doesn't really make sense to get the standalone mouse: for an extra $10 you get a bluetooth keyboard.

I am not exactly 100% thrilled with the performance though. From time to time I get a "connection lost" message and the mouse stops responding (it doesn't happen too often though, maybe once every two or three days). Also the keyboard doesn't have an on/off switch and pressing keys constantly (like when you carry the keyboard in a bag or when the cat takes a nap on it) drains the batteries in less than a day.

Other than that, they work OK. I wish I could buy the Apple mouse but until they offer a mouse with right click and scrollwheel it ain't gonna happen.

VirtualWolf
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2004, 08:44 PM

I've got a 17" PB and MS Bluetooth Intellimouse.

I'm mostly satisfied with it...the main problem is the lack of drivers for it, so I can't set it up like I had my old Logitech Mouseman Wheel.

And now that it's a Bluetooth mouse, and USB Overdrive doesn't work with it, I'm back to the normal Apple settings for the mouse speed...

The cursor feels really...inaccurate, I guess the best term is. I had USBO set to 180dpi speed and 100% acceleration, and with my Mouseman Wheel it's smooooooth, and very accurate. Whereas going back to just the Mouse & Keyboard prefpane settings, the cursor feels like it jerks around a bit, and I can't get it as fast as I prefer.

I am not exactly 100% thrilled with the performance though. From time to time I get a "connection lost" message and the mouse stops responding (it doesn't happen too often though, maybe once every two or three days). Also the keyboard doesn't have an on/off switch and pressing keys constantly (like when you carry the keyboard in a bag or when the cat takes a nap on it) drains the batteries in less than a day.
::nod::

The MX900 was almost twice the price of the Intellimouse, though. AU$200 is a bit much for a mouse!

deasys
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2004, 02:47 AM

Originally posted by LordJohnWhorfin:
You gotta love how these days every crappy little idea gets pompously labeled "technology"...I wish I could buy the Apple mouse but until they offer a mouse with right click and scrollwheel it ain't gonna happen.
Apple uses the new single-button technology that provides:

o Simplicity
o Equal treatment of left and right-handed users
o Higher productivity
o Better efficiency
o Better ergonomics

Seriously.

I find multi-button mice bulky, needlessly complicated, and ugly.

justinp
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 28, 2004, 03:09 AM

Originally posted by deasys:
I would say antiquated and stubborn.
o Simplicity
That it is.
Easily possible with two buttons.
o Higher productivity
False.
o Better efficiency
False.
o Better ergonomics
False.

wy4tt
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 28, 2004, 05:04 AM

true. make it equally difficult to use. honestly, i'm a recent switcher, and i just do not understand this one button mouse thing. is it really just stuborness on apple's part?
15 inches of aluminum fury

nagromme
Senior User
Feb 28, 2004, 05:54 AM

A lot of people do prefer one button--it's just personal choice. I prefer more buttons--but I like the shape and simplicity of Apple's mouse so much that I still use it a lot even though I have other mice. Most people I know prefer the one-button--they just don't use the other buttons enough. They aren't as into maximizing their shortcuts as your average forum devotee And Page Up / Page Down keys scroll very well--better in some ways than a wheel.

Now, whether Apple should leave the multi-button option to 3rd parties or do it themselves is a question I will leave to them. EXCEPT FOR BLUETOOTH. Clearly, 3rd parties are not stepping up to the plate with any kind of decent selection of well-supported BT mice. So maybe Apple should step in!

I need a BT mouse for my AlBook. But it needs to be a TRAVEL MOUSE--compact--and still have as many buttons as they can cram on And in silver, please!
nagromme

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2004, 10:38 AM

Originally posted by wy4tt:
true. make it equally difficult to use. honestly, i'm a recent switcher, and i just do not understand this one button mouse thing. is it really just stuborness on apple's part?
Thay might be part of it but also the other thing is I believe that they GENERAL home user gets too confused with 2 buttons. I also believe that MOST people don't have a need for a 2 button mouse. they usually just double click on things.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2004, 11:32 AM

Originally posted by typoon:
Thay might be part of it but also the other thing is I believe that they GENERAL home user gets too confused with 2 buttons.

That is a reality for sure. We must avoid to think that all people out there are geeks, my neighbour is no a computer girl and she much preffer the Pro Mouse over the multibutton pc mices she works with, they (mices) are just so confuse to use as a daily basis. By other way, my friend that is a naval engineer, needs a three buttons mouse to use Microstation and other more specifics apps under Virtual PC. I also think that as a PowerBook user, I / we will preffer a mouse with several buttons, I dislike to have my left hand over the nice Al just to clic 'ctrl' while my right hand is over the original usb Apple mouse. If only the mouse comes from Apple... time will tell.

ppayne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2004, 12:24 PM

By all means, consider the Bluetake mouse, at http://www.buypcdirect.com/ . I bought one for my 17", and it's great, once i found the company's instructions for what to do with assigning the device to my Mac. The only possible problem is, you can't set the timeout time, I'd like to set it to be a little longer so the mouse doesn't take a few seconds to wake up once I start to use it again.
You've got a friend in Japan
http://www.jlist.com

rsgunther  (op)
Feb 28, 2004, 02:04 PM

Hey all,

Just an update - I bought the Microsoft mouse from Amazon and so far so good! It works GREAT! The 2 buttons & scroll wheel work great, and I assigned the 2 side buttons to Expose.. very nice mouse, I like it a lot better than the belkin I used at a friend's house.

It was like $60 from amazon.. but like the earlier post said, I should have bought the keyboard & mouse for 75.00 although, I really don't want a microsoft keyboard.. I would rather have the apple wireless keyboard if I buy a bluetooth keyboard.

moosecue
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 29, 2004, 01:52 AM

the ms btooth IntelliMouse looks pretty good, and for an extra $10 i'll probably go with the mouse/keyboard combo, any experiences with using the keyboard with OSX? ive got a 15" AlBook, i can see from the picture on amazon there extra buttons on the keyboard, are these customizable? i cant see what theyre meant to do. but i have no use for launching ms media player...

also, i'll probably just leave the keyboard at uni (where i'll be doing most of my work) and take my pbook home, does anyone know whether there are any holes in it that you could loop a cable lock through? we've got good security against outside intruders, but students frequently have stuff go missing. defeats the purpose of having a wireless keyboard you say? nah, i'll just unlock it while im using it. and for $10.... i dont care.
lists and diagrams.

mbracing
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 29, 2004, 03:17 AM

I use both PC (sorry for me) and my Cube for work. I have just ordered an iPaq 5555 with BT and am in need of a BT adapter, as well as a new mouse.

My question, will the BT adapter that comes with any of the BT mouse in this thread be able to be used as the sync adapter for my iPaq as well? I'm hoping to streamline the connections a bit.

Thanks for such an informative thread everyone.

mbracing

prutz11
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 29, 2004, 02:12 PM

Ok... every time I think about this whole single button mouse thing I feel like I am going to freak out.

Why don't they offer a multi-button mouse as an build to order option and let consumers decide?

Seriously we should stage a sit in or something hippie like at the next macworld. Who's up for a verse or two of "all we are saying is give more buttons a chance"
Polar Express RE-MASTERED >>in 3D<< for IMAX! www.imax.com

iREZ
Professional Poster
Feb 29, 2004, 02:34 PM

Why is it that the Microsoft BT keyboard & mouse combo on Amazon gets such lousy reviews on their boards but everyone here seems to think that they're great. Im really wanting to purchase this if it is indeed compatible with my PB.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Forum Links
Forum Rules