Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Has anyone had any problems with battery after spanning hack?

Has anyone had any problems with battery after spanning hack?
designfreak114
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2004, 11:37 PM

I just recently (this wednesday) applied the spanning hack to my iBook 900mhz. And I must say that I love using it. But then after having used it on batteries yesterday (5-13-04), when i go to plug in the adapter, it only works on that. It won't let me use it on batteries...it's been plugged in for like a whole day now, and the battery status is still at 47%. Only two of the green lights on the battery lights up!

Could this have something to do with my battery failure? If it is, will I be able to get a new battery from apple? I have the apple plan, and i get my computer serviced at CompUSA and they have handled my issues really well before.

Can anyone give me some feedback? Will removing the hack restore my computer's battery life? Please help. Your time and advice is really appreciated?

If you would like to respond to me directly, email me at [email protected] or reply to this post. Thanks!
Image is Everything. Design. Mac.

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
May 14, 2004, 11:44 PM

it should have no effect on your battery. if you want to check this, reset your open firmware. if the problem persists, you can always take your machine to a service center. they won't be able to tell that you've reset the open firmware.

-r.

BobVB
Forum Regular
May 15, 2004, 03:07 PM

Originally posted by designfreak114:
ICan anyone give me some feedback? Will removing the hack restore my computer's battery life? Please help. Your time and advice is really appreciated?
I agree that the spanning hack is unlikely to be the source of your problem. I applied it the first day I got my new 1 GHz G4 iBook and my battery life is great - get 4 hours with full lit screen, Bluetooth and Airport all active. A PMU reset would probably be something to try.

Stinkysteve
May 16, 2004, 12:15 AM

I have been using the spanning hack since November and have had no issuse to speak of.
I can't live without this now.

designfreak114  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2004, 03:12 PM

Thanks you guys!

But, Quick question! and it's probably sounds stupid.

What is PMU? And how do I reset it? I should probably give it a try! Thanks again!
Image is Everything. Design. Mac.

BobVB
Forum Regular
May 18, 2004, 10:02 PM

Originally posted by designfreak114:
Thanks you guys!

But, Quick question! and it's probably sounds stupid.

What is PMU? And how do I reset it? I should probably give it a try! Thanks again!
Power Management Unit. Here are the reset instructions for portables:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=14449

Forum Links
Forum Rules