Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Dealing With Crazy Neighbour With Hypersensitivity to Bass?

Dealing With Crazy Neighbour With Hypersensitivity to Bass? (Page 2)
davemchine
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 26, 2012, 10:21 AM

I know I'm super late to the thread but I'll add my voice that subwoofers and close neighbors just don't mix. Besides the sound they cause vibrations that can be felt and even seen if your old lady neighbor has delicate items on display. Now I like subwoofers as much as the next person but I just don't think they have any place in a multi family dwelling. You just have to be considerate of your neighbors.

As far as helpful input goes my first suggestion would be to use headphones. I know that sounds ridiculous but when I became a family man that's what I had to do. Can't be blasting loud music or movies at all hours when the family is trying to sleep. The good news is that a really good pair of headphones can be had for under $200 which is way cheaper than speakers.

If you are stuck on using the sub then there are lots of options to be found via an easy google search. Here is one such response. http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090201152316AAcpQua

Another option would be to talk to the lady and agree that you will only use the sub during a certain hour range. That way you can watch a movie at night and she can be assured that by 10pm (or whatever) that things will turn quiet and she can go to bed. I've lived in places like this and found it to be a reasonable compromise.

Good luck. I honesty hope that you find a compromise that satisfies both you and your neighbor.

SegNerd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2012, 05:16 AM

Your neighbor is not crazy. You are. If your neighbor can hear your music at all, it is too loud. Just turn the music down.

You do not have a right to seek a compromise on this one. You have no right to harass your neighbors. That doesn't mean you can compromise and harass them 50% of the time. In this case, you are simply 100% wrong.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2012, 11:09 AM

Sounds like a genetic inability to turn down the bass. Clean your ears lately?

Bass is omni-directional from 125Hz down.
Next try should be a compressor/limiter for the sub-woof.

Most of the little 'toy' multi-channel audio systems for your 'theatre' system are poorly designed and boom in the bass.

Hell, most have never heard a flat audio system, or at least within 2-4 dB.

If you have a pair or two of some mid-sized AIR SUSPENSION type loudspeakers, put them in the corners, facing the walls and NOT connected. These will be bass traps and can cut down your radiated low end by as much as 15dB.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 27, 2012, 11:22 AM

I want him to do that just so the landlord can come in and see speakers facing the wall.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2012, 11:29 AM

But........

they shouldn't be connected. sitting in the corners they suck bass.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 27, 2012, 11:58 AM

I know.

Forum Links
Forum Rules