Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > [ANN] new BBX GUI Overlay Kit - BBX OMEGA�

[ANN] new BBX GUI Overlay Kit - BBX OMEGA� (Page 13)
dialo
Senior User
Dec 18, 2003, 02:18 PM

Originally posted by phillryu:
I am a lefty, but I use things like forks and mice with my right hand, only pencils I use with my left. (And my tennis racquet I guess.) In fact, the 2 or 3 people I do know who are lefties do the same, I've never seen a person using the mouse on the left side in my life, personally.
I have a coworker right here using the mouse with her left hand.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Dec 18, 2003, 02:19 PM

Originally posted by Kujo:
IF/when you release it i hope you make a new thread.
Explain what people's problem with big thread is! I'd much rather have one big thread than dozens of little ones with similar names. In fact when people start new threads people always jump on them for cluttering up the board. What gives? Why would you want a new [ANN] new BBX GUI Overlay Kit - BBX OMEGA� Redeaux thread??? (passing the time arguing about nothing waiting for the actual theme release here)

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Dec 18, 2003, 02:20 PM

Originally posted by dialo:
I have a coworker right here using the mouse with her left hand.
Yeah, there's three people in my four person cubicle at work that have their mouses on the left.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 18, 2003, 02:23 PM

Originally posted by mrtew:
Yeah, there's three people in my four person cubicle at work that have their mouses on the left.
weirdos.

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 18, 2003, 02:40 PM

Originally posted by jerseyfreeze:
[BPosting them is wrong, but not viewing them [/B]
I totally agree on both points My stupidity - I deleted my index.html file in a cleanup... just not thrilled with people creating links to my directories without permission.

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 18, 2003, 02:43 PM

Originally posted by Kujo:
IF/when you release it i hope you make a new thread.
I was planning on doing this - that way the actual full-on reveal and links will be available front and center on the first page and the new thread will be based on actual user experience and reactions. I will be posting sneak peeks and teasers here though... this will be the place for everything right up until launch day.

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 18, 2003, 03:53 PM

This thread is... umm... long. I haven't followed it since page 2.

I glanced through some pictures and stuff. This looks like it surely is going to be the most kick ass theme ever made for anything.

Hopefully everyone isn't blowing this out of proportion and then be disappointed. If it doesn't turn out the way you imagined, don't get mad because a man can only do what he can do and I'm sure Will is doing his best.

I think it's gonna be killer though. Very interesting stuff going on in this forum.

BBX, Do you have an estimate of when it may be released? Time frame? Anything?

It will be ready for the contest entry probably. (hopefully)

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 18, 2003, 04:34 PM

and half a dozen application skins
: DROOL! :

-Owl

Seion
Dec 18, 2003, 05:01 PM

bbx, remember you promised a 5 day warning before release
Normal People Worry Me.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2003, 05:37 PM

Originally posted by Seion:
bbx, remember you promised a 5 day warning before release
That's why there hasn't been a warning yet.
click one

Seion
Dec 18, 2003, 06:03 PM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
That's why there hasn't been a warning yet.
Just a friendly reminder =)
Normal People Worry Me.

MetalSnake
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 18, 2003, 06:36 PM

Originally posted by mrtew:
The lefties that swap their mouse buttons are the ones that I don't understand at all though.
I swap my buttons. So you always press the left button with your ring-finger or do you have your forefinger on the left button?

I think a lefty cursor and an option to swap the buttons should be built into the os but apple will never learn to add some options which they don�t need

Frisbee
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 18, 2003, 09:38 PM

http://www.theskinsfactory.com/skins...o&id=77&view=5

BBX, did you make this for them, copy them (never!), or did they copy you?

fireside
Professional Poster
Dec 18, 2003, 09:41 PM

bbx made that for warner bros. if im not mistaken. i know he made it, but im not sure if he made it for warner bros. or not. anyway, its totally awesome.

*dls and sees if it works for windows media player 9 for mac*

aaannnddd it doesnt.
( Last edited by fireside; Dec 18, 2003 at 09:50 PM. )

MDZ61384
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 18, 2003, 09:47 PM

hate to go off topic about the omega skin, but that skin is incredible (the T3 skin for WMP)...wish I had that kind of talent and creativity! (alas I am a coder, not a graphic artist )
Webmaster - AgoroDex Network
Version 2.0 Coming to you Summer 2004

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 18, 2003, 10:15 PM

Originally posted by Frisbee:
http://www.theskinsfactory.com/skins...o&id=77&view=5

BBX, did you make this for them, copy them (never!), or did they copy you?
All of my WindowsMediaPlayer work is done in through the SkinsFactory... they're my partners in crime.

phillryu
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2003, 11:47 PM

Every single one of those windows media player skins are amazing actually... there's unfortunately nothing like them for the mac

That is... until sometime in the near future

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2003, 09:41 AM

Damn you phillryu!! You're killing me here. Quit teasing!!

<--- /wants SS 1.1 and Omega so bad he can taste it.

ti jen-tsie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 19, 2003, 06:37 PM

A little post, just to say that I wish Omaga will come soooon, because I'm fond of it.. I'm like a kid waiting for santa Claus... So Dear Santa BBXaus, for christmass.... guess what follow ?

Ti Jen-tsie

P.S: excuse my poor english... I'm shure it will get better with time...

onlooker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 19, 2003, 08:01 PM

Originally posted by ti jen-tsie:
A little post, just to say that I wish Omaga will come soooon, because I'm fond of it.. I'm like a kid waiting for santa Claus... So Dear Santa BBXaus, for christmass.... guess what follow ?

Ti Jen-tsie

P.S: excuse my poor english... I'm shure it will get better with time...
I know how you feel. The first thing I do when I come home from work every day is come to this thread to see if it's been released.

Lord Sith
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 19, 2003, 10:05 PM

Well, I was just reading Unsanitys blog page and it was saying that they had a lot of features in the queue for "SS" that would be revealed closer to MWSF.

So, looking like a 2004 release for SS 1.1 and Omega?

MDZ61384
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 19, 2003, 10:50 PM

Anything worth it in life takes time and effort, and Omega is no exception IMHO. Lets all remember that

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 19, 2003, 11:06 PM

Originally posted by Lord Sith:
So, looking like a 2004 release for SS 1.1 and Omega?
Seeing as it's been revealed in Unsanity's blog I guess I can comment - yes, SS 1.1 is deep into production and (for all I know) may very well be so right up until MW. When I was in the early stages of designing Omega, I sent along something I had imagined up to Jason and asked him what the possibility of making it a reality would be (after some discussions that convinced me there was very little he could do - the guy's a mad scientist). Not only was it possible, but it coincided perfectly with some advanced features he had already devised and had planned to incorporate into SS. According to the original plan, Jason was going to hand-code this functionality into Omega and then go back and do the coding within TP/SS to support the changes... but as we all know, things change - to save time and effort these abilities are now being built directly into TP/SS first, after which I will be using the same tools everybody else will eventually use to incorporate these features into Omega myself.

So, it may very well be the case that SS 1.1 will be publicly available before Omega will be. Considering that it will take me some time to build this functionality and the new graphics required into Omega and get it all spiffy perfect for release - and just how silly it would be for Unsanity to hold back the SS 1.1 release date and these new features for a single theme - this will most likely be the case.

Bottom line - sorry babies, no Omega for Christmas

*But* I do promise that there will be a significant revelation on or around Christmas day that will whet your appetites and either (a) make you realize that Omega is going to be worth waiting for - even if it takes a bit more time or (b) cause you to go into fits of rage because you can't have it right this second Wherever you end up, you'll have PhilRyu to thank for the revelation (but that's all I'll say).

Hobeaux
Dec 19, 2003, 11:10 PM

Originally posted by bbxstudio:
Bottom line - sorry babies, no Omega for Christmas
haha. he called us 'babies.'

should have been, babies.

damn straight--or on the rocks, i'm not picky.

phillryu
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2003, 12:09 AM

Umm no comment, except that it'll be closer to January 1st...

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

Mike S.
Senior User
Dec 20, 2003, 12:25 AM

Originally the release was promised for two months or so (if I remember correctly) and that was a firm date because you were going to treat it like a work contract.

I'm not trying to hassle you or be a jerk but it's best not to make promises if they can't be kept. It's like you've inherited Apple's "available-today-but-wait three-months-for-shipping" syndrome

I won't even bring up Mirai, OK I will, is that still going to come out?

To avoid using the P word, what's your current guess as to an Omega release date now that you have to add significant new "features".

As for this big surprise it would appear to be some kind of media skin program with a matching Omega theme which to me, personally, is a big yawn but I'm sure others will love it

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 20, 2003, 12:45 AM

Originally posted by Mike S.:
I'm not trying to hassle you or be a jerk but it's best not to make promises if they can't be kept. It's like you've inherited Apple's "available-today-but-wait three-months-for-shipping" syndrome
Well, if people would stop pressing me for firm release dates I'd probably stop trying to guesstimate them It's true it's taken me longer to get done that I had originally anticipated - but it's evolved from what it was into so much more... it's like a giant black futuristic snowball gathering momentum (and getting cooler by the minute) as it goes (I've gone over all of this already more than once and I'm no longer apologizing for taking the time to make it the best I can). Be patient and your patience will be rewarded... or be impatient and suffer unecessarily. Your choice

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 20, 2003, 12:50 AM

Originally posted by Hobeaux:
haha. he called us 'babies.'

should have been, babies.

that was babies in the 'hey baby' sense not the 'you pathetic babies' sense

cloudaj
Forum Regular
Dec 20, 2003, 02:35 AM

dont you mean "babes" then?

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2003, 06:46 PM

I'll be using DSX plus to satisfy my dark theme needs for now. I love that theme now that it's not only that crappie yellow color for the hi-lights.

BBX I'm sure you'll raise the bar of quality for interface design once again. If we have to wait until Jan, then so be it. You sure have been stringing us along though BBX, first it was a month from halloween, then pre-Xmas, now post Xmas. It's true you can't set a creative project's release date in stone if you want it to be the best it can be.
click one

kidrocky7
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 20, 2003, 06:49 PM

So this is only gonna come out in Windoblinds for PC users? what if someone ported it with your permission and approval for a msstyle (VS) formanT? would you allow someone to do that?

bluevertical
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 21, 2003, 08:01 AM

erm.... is this really coming? seems like a little tease but all things good are worth waiting for right?
blueverticalstudio_ boston new york los angeles
www.blueverticalstudio.com
www.theblogproject.com

Frisbee
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 21, 2003, 11:55 AM

Originally posted by kidrocky7:
So this is only gonna come out in Windoblinds for PC users? what if someone ported it with your permission and approval for a msstyle (VS) formanT? would you allow someone to do that?
I'm on a mac, but in my experience... Windowblinds OWNS MSstyles

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 21, 2003, 12:14 PM

There will be no MSstyles - only WB.

MDZ61384
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 21, 2003, 01:43 PM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
It's true you can't set a creative project's release date in stone if you want it to be the best it can be.
I agree...as a programmer and webmaster/designer (I'm sure many of you share the same hobbies too) I hate more than anything to set deadlines...I had to set one for the latest website I've been working on, and something came up where the password to the server was changed, and I had promised a site on a friday that eventually came up on a monday. I felt quite crappy seeing as I don't like letting people down like that.

The suprise approach, on the other hand, always seems to work wonders

MDZ61384
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 21, 2003, 01:46 PM

Correct me if I"m wrong, but a few pages back I think Bill said that MSStyles didn't support the advanced features/animations that Omega will support, thats why it will be available for us Windows people on WindowBlinds only.

Work a little, save up and buy it. I did (granted the 50 or so bucks for the Network Edition was a little expensive...I think it was 50 bucks anyway )...Stardock is quite a good company and I see no reason to support them (they do make a great program like objectdock for free).

Kujo
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 21, 2003, 03:04 PM

Originally posted by MDZ61384:
Correct me if I"m wrong, but a few pages back I think Bill said that MSStyles didn't support the advanced features/animations
animations in windows blinds? i cant say i have seen this. its true WB can do a few little extra things like add a 4th button to collapse the window, but there is a free little haxie called free shade that does the same thing, and i think everyone has it installed.
all in all i think WB sucks in comparison to the simplicity and ease of use of visual styles. its also much easier to make a VS. this is why everyone uses VS.

kidrocky7
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 21, 2003, 03:40 PM

yah, msstyles seems to run a bit smoother than WB from what ive seen. WB is a great program but I seem to be attach to StyleXP for the moment.

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 21, 2003, 03:59 PM

The WB skin will take advantage of some stuff that (as far as I know) not many (if any) skins have. You'll see

MDZ61384
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 21, 2003, 04:44 PM

yah, msstyles seems to run a bit smoother than WB from what ive seen. WB is a great program but I seem to be attach to StyleXP for the moment.
uxtheme.dll? they made a great new installer for it too...I'd google it and see what you find. One less extra program to use, ya know

MorphOSX
Forum Regular
Dec 21, 2003, 05:06 PM

Far as StyleXP vs. WB goes...StyleXP does run smoother, for the same reason that you could argue ThemeChanger/.dlta runs smoother than ShapeShifter does: It changes system resources and forces the OS to read the resource, rather than simply applying skins and other such things over top of the current WinXP theme.

Now, here we come to a fork in the road. .DLTA/MSStyles, etc. all have the same limitation: The OS. Any theme that REPLACES the original resources is bound by the OS to fit EXACTLY what the OS expects to see (in size and shape) and cannot be altered radically.

Using Shapeshifter's guiKit format, or WindowBlinds/Object Desktop, you don't have that limitation. Since it's literally overriding the OS's default interface, you can do far more with the themes you're creating and go so far as to alter the entire environment the user has access to.

Sure, you can keep changing resources and have the same-ol with a different color. But personally, I'll live with a wee bit of lagtime in order to change the entire OS's look and feel and environment.

Besides, think of it this way, in the future, we may just be able to use these apps to swiftly trash the entire desktop model that comes stock, and replace it with an entirely new model. Now THAT would be cool.

Dave

timdorr
Dec 22, 2003, 03:08 AM

Gah, you people have WB vs. MSStyles all wrong.

First off, they both use the same skinning methods. They both use hooks in Windows to intercept drawing calls on windows and do their own drawing of windows. It's something a step up from what ShapeShifter does (SS does just in-memory resource replacement, not actual drawing). MS actually got the idea from Stardock (the WB people) and used it for their XP release. They also locked it off from people using it by making the only themes that work out of the box those that are digitally signed by Microsoft. The uxtheme.dll thing you do swaps the file for a patched one which will load up any theme, signed or not.

Now, about resource usage and such: MSStyles uses a LOT more memory than WB. Upwards of 20-30 meg. WB uses around 2-3 meg. A big difference. The thing is, MS hides away MSStyles usage in two ways: 1) The themeing runs as a service, so it's central memory usage is hidden under svchost.exe 2) additional memory is used as it attaches itself to each running process (sort of like APE) and hides more memory in the application's usage itself. WB uses one central process for memory and processing that's visible in your process list, so you get a true memory usage report.

Also, WB is actively developed (unlike MSStyles) and has improved the drawing engine beyond MS's. WB can paint using video hardware and avoid un-neccessary paints (reducing flicker). Much of this optimization has come in more recent versions (4.x), so for those that have known WB as being slow on their systems (I definitely used to be for me), I would *highly* recommend trying the newest versions. They are siginificantly better and totally converted me from being an MSStyles user to being a WB user. Also, WB can colorize themes, which has turned some poorly colored themes into ones I use regularly. Also, you can have animated elements and even use plugins that allow for things like in-theme MP3 players (a bit excessive, but very useful if people would develop more plugins).

Oh, and one more thing about ease of use: Installing MSStyles requires unzipping files to a specific location on your hard drive; there is no installer (well, some themes have gone all out for this...). WB files automagically install themselves after download (it's pretty much click a download link, wait, and it's installed). Both MSStyles and WB themes can be accessed from the Display Properties, but WB also has it's own utility to manage themes with. So, I fail to see how WB themes are harder to use at all. I would think it would be the other way around. Creating themes is equally hard between MSStyles and WB. I've used both SkinStudio and StyleBuilder, and find them equally useful. Either is difficult to get used to (themeing is in general), but I wouldn't place one above the other.

Anyhoo, I wanted to clear all that up. The WB format would definitely be the way to go for Omega. There would be a LOT lost with an MSStyles port.

WICKEDfour
Forum Regular
Dec 22, 2003, 09:11 AM

Hey BBX, I remember you saying that the Mac OS X theme was kind of a pain while you had seemingly no problem with the Windows port. Just for clarification, will the Mac OS X version be the "full deal"? Which is to say, will it contain all the animations and such (except for those that of course don't exist on a Mac when compared with Windows)?

Themer | Metroid 2002 Supporter | Switchboard Operator | A Special K | Professional Lurker

Frisbee
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 22, 2003, 09:13 AM

Originally posted by timdorr:
Gah, you people have WB vs. MSStyles all wrong.
Haha...

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 22, 2003, 09:50 AM

Originally posted by WICKEDfour:
Just for clarification, will the Mac OS X version be the "full deal"? Which is to say, will it contain all the animations and such (except for those that of course don't exist on a Mac when compared with Windows)?
The Mac version will do things the Windows version can't and likewise the other way around. What I've done is create a 'styleguide' - that is to say a basic set of guidelines and a look and feel that's widely adaptable and lends itself to all sorts of elaboration. The Mac version takes advantage of Mac features like animated scrollbars and default buttons, whereas the Windows version does things that just can't be done on a Mac (yet). The main difference is that I myself am assembling the Mac version in its entirety (with the exception of coding being done by collaborators) and somebody else is assembling the Windows version with me art-directing and creating unique graphics wherever necessary. Both interfaces will be up to snuff on their own platform but look like they co-exist in the same imaginary world. Things like desktop art and icon archetypes will be standard across both platforms but each will have its own totally unique media player skins and integrated theme. Luckily for me I just get to do the fun stuff (well, building an OSX theme is borderline maddening) like graphics and have other people do all the necessary coding.

Just to clarify, while this may seem like a huge undertaking (and it is) all the graphics have been handed off and we're way way into development at this stage. The Mac version may hold up the Windows version but the opposite will not be true... so Mac users can relax, when Omega for OSX is ready to go it will be released immediately. When that happens we'll be vigorously defending the design from unauthorized ports and adaptations for Windows until that platform's release follows shortly after. Unlike Mercury, which I freely allowed to be adapted and ported by everybody and their brother as long as permission was granted, there will be no unofficial ports of Omega.

MetalSnake
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 22, 2003, 10:36 AM

Things like desktop art (...)
What resolution will the wallpaper be? All theme wallpapers have only a 1024x768 resolution that would look bad on a 1600x1200 or even bigger resolution, so I hope yours will be bigger

mrtew
Professional Poster
Dec 22, 2003, 11:06 AM

The Mac version takes advantage of Mac features like animated scrollbars ...
That sounds great! I don't think I've ever seen another OSX theme take advantage of this capability aside from Aqua clones. Apple built in this amazing feature and then the way they used it themselves just looks like a bug. Those ripples in the Aqua scrollbars are either not noticed by most people or are just perceived as a rendering error or flicker in the display. So sad. I can't wait to see what you've done with it! Does anyone know of any theme that's out now that's got animated scrollbars different from Aqua's?

MorphOSX
Forum Regular
Dec 22, 2003, 11:53 AM

Thanks for clearing up the WB vs. MSStyles thing. I posted from what I understood from reading papers on the technology, guess I misunderstood. Glad someone understands it. ;-)

Dave

timdorr
Dec 22, 2003, 01:22 PM

When that happens we'll be vigorously defending the design from unauthorized ports and adaptations for Windows until that platform's release follows shortly after. Unlike Mercury, which I freely allowed to be adapted and ported by everybody and their brother as long as permission was granted, there will be no unofficial ports of Omega.
You've got my word over at Neowin.Net that we'll be keeping an eye out, too. People can whine all they want about not having an MSStyles version, but we have strict copyright protection rules for a reason.

Oh, and MorphOSX, at neowin, Brad Wardell, the CEO of Stardock, is a mod to manage our WindowBlinds forum and talks with us regularly, so I tend to know a lot. You guys should hear the crap out the TGTSoft lawsuit :S

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2003, 02:30 PM

$10 says it will be ported from WB in a week and spreading like wildfire though the PM system...they won't be stopped albeit privately...

Originally posted by timdorr:
You've got my word over at Neowin.Net that we'll be keeping an eye out, too. People can whine all they want about not having an MSStyles version, but we have strict copyright protection rules for a reason.

Oh, and MorphOSX, at neowin, Brad Wardell, the CEO of Stardock, is a mod to manage our WindowBlinds forum and talks with us regularly, so I tend to know a lot. You guys should hear the crap out the TGTSoft lawsuit :S

Forum Links
Forum Rules