Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 'Cannot Copy Into Itself' !? WTF?!

'Cannot Copy Into Itself' !? WTF?!
tdominey
Forum Regular
May 1, 2001, 08:36 AM

I've developed an odd behavior in 9.1. Whenever I insert a CD and try to copy the contents to my desktop, or to any other mounted drive (internal and external firewire) I get an error that reads "Cannot Copy File Into Itself."

Nothing I do can move the files except creating a stuffed archive from the CD onto my HD, then unstuffing. Ridiculous, but it's the only way I could get them off.

And this happens with many CDs, not just one. Any ideas?
---------------------------------------
Dominey Design
http://www.domineydesign.com/

Gregg
Mac Elite
May 1, 2001, 12:21 PM

Well, you can't copy from any removable media to your Finder's desktop. All you can do is move it to the medium's desktop. So, if I put in a floppy, and drag something from it to the "desktop", then eject the floppy, the item on the "desktop" disappears.

As far as copying to another drive, I can't say what the problem is there. Does it only happen with CDs? How about a zip or floppy? (Perhaps you only have one type of drive for removables.)
Ya gotta applaud those bunnies for sacrificing their hearing just so some guy in Yonkers can have better TV reception.

chucke
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2001, 05:46 PM

I know exactly what you mean! I have the same problem in 9.1 when copying from CD's to my hard drives.

I don't know why it is happening or how to get rid of it. But, to save you from stuffing.... if you make a new folder and copy the contents into that folder it usually works. Something to do with copying 'certain' folders as a whole. Wish I could help more.

[This message has been edited by chucke (edited 05-01-2001).]

Allah
Forum Regular
May 4, 2001, 08:56 PM

I have a G4 AGP DVD-RAM and don't experience this problem my self. In fact I don't experience many problems at all.

------------------
Carp� Bandwidth
Carp� Bandwidth

Forum Links
Forum Rules