Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > DropBox, SugarSync, SomethingElse?

DropBox, SugarSync, SomethingElse?
Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Jun 4, 2010, 10:04 PM

If you never used either program, they are both programs that make syncing files between multiple computers simple and integrated into the Finder. My department at work is looking at using such a program to help with collaboration, as each user can get 2 gigs free and can share the folder with other people. I haven't fully vetted SugarSync yet, but I do know that DropBox automatically downloads all the files from another person's shared folder.

We do NOT like that feature. We'd rather have files shared by person A to be downloaded on person B's computer when person B tries to open them. Our issue is we have about 25 people in our department, and if everyone uses 1 gig of their space, then everyone's hard drive is going to have 25 gigs of data downloaded locally and constantly updating.

Does anyone know if SugarSync does this, or if there is another program that could?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 4, 2010, 10:53 PM

Dropbox has LAN sync; once the file is uploaded from the creator to the cloud, all the other clients on the local network download it from the creator not the cloud. Also note that shared folders data counts against every subscriber's quota. If three users have a shared folder with 1GB in it, they each only have 1GB left for their private files. Otherwise you could churn accounts for infinite free storage by sharing it back with your main account.

-Q-
Jun 4, 2010, 11:31 PM

Not sure if this meets your needs or not:

CloudApp

I've played with it, but not extensively.

Ghoser777  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2010, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Dropbox has LAN sync; once the file is uploaded from the creator to the cloud, all the other clients on the local network download it from the creator not the cloud. Also note that shared folders data counts against every subscriber's quota. If three users have a shared folder with 1GB in it, they each only have 1GB left for their private files. Otherwise you could churn accounts for infinite free storage by sharing it back with your main account.
This is what I was afraid of. Oh well, back to square one.

israces
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 5, 2010, 12:53 PM

I've been using Jungle Disk for about 6 months now and have been pretty happy with it. They got bought by Rackspace, but I think they're keeping Jungle Disk as opposed to switching everything over to Cloud Files or something like that.
Backup your Backup

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 5, 2010, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Ghoser777 View Post
This is what I was afraid of. Oh well, back to square one.
Why not use a NAS ?

-t

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 5, 2010, 10:58 PM

Huge fan of DropBox here personally. Love it!

cgc
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2010, 08:41 AM

DropBox rocks for sharing files...not my first choice for backing up large amounts of data though.

Ghoser777  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2010, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Why not use a NAS ?

-t
Well... yes, that would make the most sense. Here's the history of how we used to share files:

2 years ago, our IT department had a server setup where everyone could connect to, open files from, save to, etc. It was a simple File Server, and we were all very happy. Last year, our IT department didn't want to support the File Server anymore, and "encouraged" us to move all our sharing to sharepoint... which sucks. No one shares anything anymore, because it takes extra steps to upload files. I know that sharepoint has the "explorer view" that is supposed to make working with files easier, but it still doesn't work well.

So when my boss found out about DropBox, he thought it might be an easy solution that circumvents our IT department.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 6, 2010, 01:04 PM

Uhm, yeah, WTF @ the IT department.

Tell them you need a shared drive for the department, and that Sharepoint isn't suitable due to extra steps involved.

I personally hate Sharepoints. WTF, Microsoft ?
You want people to collaborate, and you come up with that crap ?

-t

Rumor
Jun 6, 2010, 03:28 PM

I've messed around a little with Adrive. Free it is a web interface with 50 GB storage. If you pay, you can get a desktop client. Not the best solution, but may work.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 6, 2010, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
I've messed around a little with Adrive. Free it is a web interface with 50 GB storage. If you pay, you can get a desktop client. Not the best solution, but may work.
Nah, that's even more painful than Sharepoint.

You can't even open files directly from the online source, edit and save back.

-t

Rumor
Jun 7, 2010, 12:08 AM

Didn't know that. Interesting.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Forum Links
Forum Rules