Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > An Open Letter To MacNN Administration and ALL Posters!

An Open Letter To MacNN Administration and ALL Posters! (Page 4)
chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2004, 07:42 AM

2 points:

1. No forum member has EVER been influenced enough to change their vote based upon what someone else's opinion here was.

2. Try these simple little words: "Hey! Where are you from?"

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

andi*pandi
Oct 5, 2004, 08:12 AM

CD: If the forums don't matter enough to put in some time, then it shouldn't matter where people are from. Either it matters or it doesn't. Most people's posts I just skim over.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2004, 08:32 AM

Hi andi. How're you today?

I like the forums and I like most of the people (I might like more of the posters here if I met them, I'm sure) even when I disagree with what they're saying because I like to see different perspectives.

Unlike other people, I'm not here to convert opinions or change perspectives. I think people here are interesting. You get someone like ebuddy or MacNStein or others and they're very intelligent. Even your posts are really great. I enjoy reading the humor and even this thread has made me laugh - and laugh pretty hard - throughout it. You have to admit that it IS funny, right? I mean, even Demonhood got in on it!

aberdeenwriter was trying to be humorous (though it didn't play that way because humor is hard to translate sometimes) but make a point at the same time that we don't know where people are from. No, I wouldn't have posted what he did, but what the heck. That's what he did.

The truth is that if Zimphire were still here (I miss Zimphire here) we would have had even more of a laugh about it -- Zimphire would have posted his tinfoil had dude.

Have a good one!

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Oct 5, 2004, 09:25 AM

I think you know a person by their fruits. To me, it matters not where they are from. It seems many from ALL walks of life are capable of insensitivity, ignorance, and hatred as well as the opposite. I do echo your sentiment Aberdeenwriter, that it is at least intriquing the amount of interest in foreign elections, but it's important to remember that it might be illegal for them to discuss issues in opposition to their own governments. What to do? Discuss American politics with Americans who are free to do so. (just to clarify; teasing of course.)

I've started a; where are you from thread. It's been done before I'm sure, but let's take another look with today's current, but frequent posters...I'll start-okay-on your mark-get set...GO!
ebuddy

moodymonster
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2004, 09:40 AM

but you do have to bear in mind who the president of USA is does have an effect on the rest of the world. Therefore it is not unreasonable for johnny foreigner to have an interest in the US elections.

When Jean-Marie Le Pen looked like he could become the President of France people all over Europe sat up to watch cause it effected everyone. He was the far right's candidate.

In the UK it would have been uncomfortable sitting opposite a neighbour with Fascist leanings. We've been there before.

People everywhere have an interest in things that affect them.

As to knowing where someone is - you're still only knowing what they tell you, ultimately it is up to you to 'process' their information - everyone has bias in what they say, some have more than others.

But things like this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3715396.stm

make people not trust Bush (or Tony Blair).

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2004, 09:53 AM

Originally posted by aberdeenwriter:
I had a hard time understanding why in the world spacefreak had a problem with my cutting n pasting.
Mostly because much of what you cut-and-pasted had previously been posted and argued to death. I realize that you had no way of knowing (you were new to these forums), but for me it was like Groundhog Day.

Also, I was trying to prod you into revealing some thought for yourself in your posts. Anyone can cut-and-paste (or say in a debate "if you want to know my plan, go to so-and-so website"). I wanted to hear your positions in your own words.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Oct 5, 2004, 10:32 AM

11/07/00 - Voted Gore. (Previous votes went to Dems, Repubs, and Perot.) Viewed results with a shrug. New President deserves our support.

9/11/01 - WAR! President deserves our support. Employed by a Clear Channel radio station.

2/23/04 - Howard Stern fined by FCC after "King Of All Media" withdrew support for Bush Administration. Smacked of censorship, right-wing manipulation of 1st Amendment and possible collusion by Clear Channel when CC removed Stern show from 6 markets. OUTRAGE at Bush Administration.

6/27/04 - "Fahrenheit 9/11." Convinced of need to remove President Bush from office.

8/16/04 - 1st MacNN post.
9/6/04 - Claimed to be a "FORMER Bush supporter'
9/8/04 - Discovered PNAC website.

9/11/04 - Nominated for first "Golden Troll"

9/12/04 - Awarded "Golden Troll" for a different post.

9/14/04 - After reading rightweb site (critical of Bush Administration) describing the New American Century plan, I was excited by the boldness of the plan but wondered if it could work and what the dangers of such a plan would be. Still for Kerry.

9/18/04 - Started thread, (Why do THEY hate US?) to further explore radical Islamic terrorism. Personal belief was that a more enlightened foreign policy and smart, strong leadership was the key to defusing terrorism. Had to search my soul to find my one non-negotiable issue: PEACE. Saw the possibility of peace through NAC plan as well as Kerry plan. Still leaning toward Kerry.

9/19/04 - Read article posted by Zimphire; "Al Qaeda's Fantasy Ideology" by Lee Harris and was blown away! I was disabused of my previous belief about the cause and solution for Islamic terrorism. FLIP-FLOP COMPLETED! I do not support many of the President's policies and yet I believe he will best deliver peace through global dominance. Because of his strong plans to make US & the world safe for democracy and his aggressive WOT, I now support BUSH.

9/20/04 - Awarded a coveted, "SMACKDOWN!!" for posted reply to MacNN member questioning my switch to Bush.

y0y0
Forum Regular
Oct 5, 2004, 01:27 PM

Originally posted by idjeff:
Wow! Nice use of adjectives

Are you trying to win hearts and minds my dear friend? Lose the attitude and it might work.

"Oh woe is the lad"?

My goodness...
Shock! You mean there's actually a functioning mind to be won here?

Oh, woe is me!

But what about POLAND?

y0y0
Forum Regular
Oct 5, 2004, 01:34 PM

Originally posted by ebuddy:
...I do echo your sentiment Aberdeenwriter, that it is at least intriquing the amount of interest in foreign elections, but it's important to remember that it might be illegal for them to discuss issues in opposition to their own governments. What to do? Discuss American politics with Americans who are free to do so. (just to clarify; teasing of course.)

The USA: the only country in the world where you can criticise your own government???

I don't know what's more painful about this, the fact that someone is so insular to even entertain the notion that the US is the only country where freedom of speech is guaranteed, or the realisation that the lack of American interest in foreign affairs is part and parcel of America's problems.
But what about POLAND?

OreoCookie
Oct 5, 2004, 01:45 PM

What does nationality have to do with opinion? Is my opinion weighed differently depending on my citizenship? Nonsense, if I were American (and I don't pretend to be), then my opinion would be as valid as it is now as German.

If you stay in the forums long enough, you know where people are from, and I don't think just because the location says `The Sar Chasm' (chris v), you can accuse the people of `hiding' their nationality.

Plus, I think you are taking all these discussions too seriously. Take it easy and have fun, don't try to be always right.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

GoGoReggieXPowars
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2004, 02:06 PM

Originally posted by MacNStein:
I would like to see others put some location info in their profile... but that's probably asking too much.
It's none of your business, and neither are our real names.
Would it help if I told you I was born in Iran? I doubt it.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 5, 2004, 02:47 PM

BTW, everyone, don't be angry with Cody Dawg. She was just trying to keep me from getting hurt. You have to admire that loyalty. And even if YOU may not...

I DO!

Thanks, Cody!

"She", eh?

So LBK perchance "thought" right, eh?

I'm getting tired of you people.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2004, 02:50 PM

aberdeenwriter doesn't know my gender, SH.

The truth is that I have never formally introduced myself to aberdeenwriter.

Let's just assume that I am gender-less.

If nationalities aren't supposed to matter, then why does a gender matter?

aberdeenwriter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2004, 02:51 PM

Originally posted by GoGoReggieXPowars:
It's none of your business, and neither are our real names.
Would it help if I told you I was born in Iran? I doubt it.
It would provide me with information which might help me better understand your pov.

This information is usually apparent in a face to face, but is denied us online.

This information is only somewhat important if we're discussing the weather or tech stuff.

But more so when/if you begin "lobbying" for or against a political candidate (based on your real concerns which you may or may not disclose) with people whose vote might be influenced by your statements.

If I knew you were from Iran I would then wonder, "Are you still there? Are you a recent immigre? Are you a US citizen now? Do you LOVE the freedoms guaranteed by the US Constitution or do you maintain an allegiance to their system of govt?

Without that initial information, I HAVE to assume you are a US citizen and a registered voter and have the same concerns most every US citizen has. The protection of the US people and property and the continuance of our nation and form of govt.

Those assumptions MAY NOT be accurate.

Without knowing your orientation I may consider your arguments and make a decision which I might not, given more info.
Consider these posts as my way of introducing you to yourself.

Proud "SMACKDOWN!!" and "Golden Troll" Award Winner.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 5, 2004, 02:51 PM

Originally posted by spacefreak:
Mostly because much of what you cut-and-pasted had previously been posted and argued to death. I realize that you had no way of knowing (you were new to these forums), but for me it was like Groundhog Day.

Also, I was trying to prod you into revealing some thought for yourself in your posts. Anyone can cut-and-paste (or say in a debate "if you want to know my plan, go to so-and-so website"). I wanted to hear your positions in your own words.
The logical conclusion here is that, of course, they weren't his positions.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Oct 5, 2004, 02:53 PM

Originally posted by Cody Dawg:
But, if nationalities do matter in evaluating a person's posts, gender should as well.

aberdeenwriter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2004, 02:56 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
"She", eh?

So LBK perchance "thought" right, eh?

I'm getting tired of you people.
OK, maybe we should start a new thread. But, I'll take the advice of those who suggested I just ask.

A harlot is a woman. Are you female?

aberdeenwriter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2004, 02:59 PM

aberdeenwriter doesn't know my gender, SH.

The truth is that I have never formally introduced myself to aberdeenwriter.

Let's just assume that I am gender-less.

When I saw your posted photos of the children and you said you weren't married and everyone was accusing us of having a thing, and references to past events with a (former/present?) (husband/wife?) I assumed you were a single mom.

Are you a man or a woman?

aberdeenwriter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2004, 03:01 PM

Originally posted by Wiskedjak:
But, if nationalities do matter in evaluating a person's posts, gender should as well.
Wiskedjak, you sound like a guy, but I don't want to insult you by assuming. What is your gender?

BTW, I notice you've moved since last nite. Aberdeen is a lonlier place without you!

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2004, 03:03 PM

Definitely not a single mom.

Not a man OR a woman...

I'm a Dawg!

aberdeenwriter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2004, 03:05 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
The logical conclusion here is that, of course, they weren't his positions.
A LOGICAL conclusion???

As I know the REAL truth of the matter, I can only make the following "logical conclusion:"

You LIKE me! You really, really LIKE me!

LOLOL

aberdeenwriter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2004, 03:07 PM

Definitely not a single mom.

Not a man OR a woman...

I'm a Dawg!

If we ever debate female reproductive rights I hope you will declare your gender.

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2004, 03:13 PM

A LOGICAL conclusion???
How about the logical conclusion to be drawn from Wiskedjak's timeline?

andi*pandi
Oct 5, 2004, 03:30 PM

If we ever debate female reproductive rights I hope you will declare your gender.
while confirmation of LBK's theory would be amusing, please oh please let there be a 6 month moratorium before the next 12 page monster reproductive rights thread.

and this thread is still funny.

aberdeenwriter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2004, 03:35 PM

Originally posted by OreoCookie:
What does nationality have to do with opinion? Is my opinion weighed differently depending on my citizenship? Nonsense, if I were American (and I don't pretend to be), then my opinion would be as valid as it is now as German.

If you stay in the forums long enough, you know where people are from, and I don't think just because the location says `The Sar Chasm' (chris v), you can accuse the people of `hiding' their nationality.

Plus, I think you are taking all these discussions too seriously. Take it easy and have fun, don't try to be always right.
Sorry, but it DOES matter when we're talking about influencing voters.

Especially if that someone's allegiance is to govts. or ideologies commited to the destruction, downfall or to cause harm to the US, it's peoples or our way of life.

There is a law which forbids electioneering within a certain distance from polling places on election day.

Do you REALLY think a little old man holding a sign is going to influence the way I vote? HA! Of course not.

But WHY does the law exist?

(Another rant for another time, perhaps.)

I see you are involved in two disciplines where being right is the standard of measure, Judo and Physics.

When I mess around in martial arts it's no longer a matter of life and death, so I do it to have fun. When I simultaneously drop a bottle of vitamins and a book of matches onto my sofa to test the "whatever-it-is" theory, I'm just having fun.

Do you take Judo and Physics too seriously?

aberdeenwriter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2004, 03:38 PM

Originally posted by andi*pandi:
while confirmation of LBK's theory would be amusing, please oh please let there be a 6 month moratorium before the next 12 page monster reproductive rights thread.

and this thread is still funny.
Your turn, andi*pandi, fess up!

M or F?

andi*pandi
Oct 5, 2004, 03:43 PM

Your turn, andi*pandi, fess up!
I bring home the bacon. I also occasionally fry it up in a pan.

aberdeenwriter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2004, 03:43 PM

Originally posted by y0y0:
The USA: the only country in the world where you can criticise your own government???

I don't know what's more painful about this, the fact that someone is so insular to even entertain the notion that the US is the only country where freedom of speech is guaranteed, or the realisation that the lack of American interest in foreign affairs is part and parcel of America's problems.
Should I be able to go to a Polish online forum and lobby in favor of the candidate I feel is best for Poland, without disclosing the fact I'm not Polish and can't vote there and have a vested interest in the issue which is different from the interests of many of the Polish electorate?

aberdeenwriter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2004, 03:47 PM

Originally posted by andi*pandi:
I don't eat pork.

To finish the tune...
"Thanks, now I'll never forget if you're a gal or a man..."

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2004, 03:51 PM

Should I be able to go to a Polish online forum and lobby in favor of the candidate I feel is best for Poland, without disclosing the fact I'm not Polish and can't vote there and have a vested interest in the issue which is different from the interests of many of the Polish electorate?
Yes of course you should.

Since a foreign agent has to be employed by a foreign principal, who is it that I am working for?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 5, 2004, 03:53 PM

Why not? But you also have to remember that the US and Poland are not in the same position. What the US does dramatically affects the rest of the world. Poland, less so.

I don't appreciate the insinuation that anyone who disagrees with you must be a foreign agent with some kind of agenda. For the record, I am a genuine 'merican who thinks you are full of crap.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 5, 2004, 03:56 PM

Originally posted by Troll:
Yes of course you should.
No, you shouldn't. And that's the point we're making. There's a reason why you don't get to vote in our elections.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2004, 03:57 PM

aberdeen are you still pursuing this line of shit? Well, stop it.

aberdeenwriter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2004, 03:57 PM

Originally posted by y0y0:
Shock! You mean there's actually a functioning mind to be won here?

Oh, woe is me!

The MINUTE I no longer am open to being changed (except by those who cause me great consternation and mental anguish) by what I read and hear, is a sad, sad day for me, aberdeenwriter.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2004, 03:59 PM

No, you shouldn't. And that's the point we're making. There's a reason why you don't get to vote in our elections.
You too? What the hell is wrong with you people? We discuss international issues like the war in Iraq on an international forum. We all know where people like Troll are from anyway. What the hell is wrong with you people?

aberdeenwriter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2004, 04:01 PM

Originally posted by BRussell:
aberdeen are you still pursuing this line of shit? Well, stop it.
"Should I be able to go to a Polish online forum and lobby in favor of the candidate I feel is best for Poland, without disclosing the fact I'm not Polish and can't vote there and have a vested interest in the issue which is different from the interests of many of the Polish electorate?"

Are you still flying by dropping your "pearls of WIT" in this thread which you have no interest in, which you make less interesting?

lil'babykitten
Professional Poster
Oct 5, 2004, 04:01 PM

I don't eat pork.
...which could suggest that you're Jewish. iWrite was Jewish...Cody Dawg is probably iWrite...so chances are that she married a Jewish guy....which could be you.

My theory doesn't seem totally improbable now does it?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 5, 2004, 04:03 PM

You too? What the hell is wrong with you people? We discuss international issues like the war in Iraq on an international forum. We all know where people like Troll are from anyway. What the hell is wrong with you people?
I just find it comical how worked up they (the Europeans, Asians, etc.) get regarding our (meaning the US) political process. How they sling their crap about our domestic matters when they really don't have any say regarding these issues.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

aberdeenwriter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2004, 04:04 PM

DISCUSSION IS GOOD!

WE LIKE DISCUSSION!!!!

THE MORE VOICES AND OPINIONS HEARD THE BETTER!!!!!!

(except for those who have a hard time keeping up, perhaps)

"Should I be able to go to a Polish online forum and lobby in favor of the candidate I feel is best for Poland, without disclosing the fact I'm not Polish and can't vote there and have a vested interest in the issue which is different from the interests of many of the Polish electorate?"

aberdeenwriter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2004, 04:13 PM

I just find it comical how worked up they (the Europeans, Asians, etc.) get regarding our (meaning the US) political process. How they sling their crap about our domestic matters when they really don't have any say regarding these issues.
I find it comically sad that "they" can't understand the PRINCIPLE nor can "they" seem to get beyond their own PRECONCEIVED idea of what we're saying.

What we're saying is different from what you are reacting to.

It might help to start anew, with a fresh mind (preferably open) then read MacNStein or Cody Dawg or (as I'm the thread starter) MY POSTS.

This really is an interesting look at the way people react, behave, think/not think, jump to conclusions, allow their fears to cloud their perceptions...

And, I REALLY HOPE It isn't representative of ALL the Kerry supporters, eventhough they seem to be those who are most unable to understand or see this clearly!

(Sorry, I couldn't resist the dig! lolol)

aberdeenwriter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2004, 04:18 PM

Originally posted by lil'babykitten:
...which could suggest that you're Jewish. iWrite was Jewish...Cody Dawg is probably iWrite...so chances are that she married a Jewish guy....which could be you.

My theory doesn't seem totally improbable now does it?
LBK!

I was hoping you'd stop by!

You are the most intriguing of all!

I have asked for your gender in the past and even made you an offer (which you WERE able to refuse) but it didn't REALLY occur to me you weren't a woman.

So, now I'm asking...

Are you a:

Little baby Tom cat?

Or a Little baby Tomasina cat?

aberdeenwriter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2004, 04:22 PM

...which could suggest that you're Jewish.
Which could suggest I was raised Muslim (and am in denial or am self-hating), or that I'm a 7th Day Adventist, or that I have high blood pressure or that I don't like tape worms, or that I dream of squealing pigs and I can't silence the pigs...

aberdeenwriter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2004, 04:26 PM

Originally posted by Icruise:
Why not? But you also have to remember that the US and Poland are not in the same position. What the US does dramatically affects the rest of the world. Poland, less so.

I don't appreciate the insinuation that anyone who disagrees with you must be a foreign agent with some kind of agenda. For the record, I am a genuine 'merican who thinks you are full of crap.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2004, 04:36 PM

That was THE post of the day, andi * pandi.

LBK: I liked your logic.

lil'babykitten
Professional Poster
Oct 5, 2004, 04:45 PM

LBK!

I was hoping you'd stop by!

You are the most intriguing of all!

I have asked for your gender in the past and even made you an offer (which you WERE able to refuse) but it didn't REALLY occur to me you weren't a woman.

So, now I'm asking...

Are you a:

Little baby Tom cat?

Or a Little baby Tomasina cat?

I'm a female kitten.

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2004, 04:53 PM

If the rules of a private forum allow you to do that and it's not illegal for the forum to do that, then absolutely you should be allowed to. Makes no difference that you can't vote there. If people want to come to the forum and listen to you, then that's up to them. No one is forcing them to listen to you.

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2004, 04:54 PM

If you don't want to read other people's opinions about your politics then it's really quite simple. Find an Internet forum that is for Americans only. No one is forcing anyone else to come to MacNN to read other people's PERSONAL ideas about politics. And everyone with more than two brain cells realises a) there are non-Americans here and b) they shouldn't assume anything.

Besides, this forum is not about American politics!

I've had enough of you fruitcakes. You are the weakest link, goodbye.

aberdeenwriter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2004, 04:56 PM

I'm a female kitten.
Like I said before, there's always been something about your feminine, felinity that appealed to me!

MEOW!

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2004, 04:58 PM

Oh, so now you like LBK and not me?

Oh well!

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2004, 04:59 PM

That would be entirely up to the owners of the Polish on-line forum. I s'pose if it were managed by people similar to the people who manage MacNN, then the answer would be yes.

Why don't you go learn Polish, and give it a try?

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Forum Links
Forum Rules