Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Help!

Help!
innerimager
Forum Regular
Oct 1, 2006, 10:40 PM

Brought my dual 2.5 G5 to my local Apple Store. It wouldn't boot, after spinning circle, blue screen. They ended up replacing the logic board and processor, under apple care. Got it home tonight with the following problems...
1. It acts like new computer, asks me to log in under my old username, then none of my preferences such as dock are there. Photoshop asks me to validate, etc.
2. I have a working airport that my laptop is seeing, the tower sees no network. My airport card is in place.
3. It finds my Wiebetech dock of 4 external hard drives and mounts them. But it won't let me boot from my back up start disc in this array, either by selecting it in system pref or holding down option key. It chimes then nothing, dark screen. Then after disconnecting the external drives, it still doesn't boot, after several tries it does from the internal start disk.
4. Least of my worries, but the tower had 2 1gig apple ram chips, and 6 .5gig crucial, total 5gigs. They said an initial diagnostic indicated a possible ram problem. They removed the crucial ram and did the repair, and would not put the crucial ram back, and gave ominous warning that if I did, and there was a bad stick, it could damage the logic board. Is this so? I have not done anything about this yet with the bigger problems I'm having. Do I need to see if crucial will replace the ram?

Frankly, I am not real impressed by the very young techs at the store. I'd like to have a few ideas when I go back tomorrow. Thanks for any input you may give.
Best....Peter

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2006, 11:44 PM

1. They may have trashed all your preferences.
2. Airport card could be mis-seated?
3. Looks like you may just have a defective Logic Board.
4. I would put the Crucial back in, run memtest to make sure it's ok or bad, whichever.

Try reinstalling Tiger, and see if any of that helps. I'm not sure what you should do other than that. Sorry I couldn't help more!
Linkinus is king.

Forum Links
Forum Rules