Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Massive repairs to a new 15" PB!!!

Massive repairs to a new 15" PB!!!
acedloring
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2003, 03:03 PM

I have posted many times already in this forum as to my woes in having to send my powerbook in twice to repair white spots on the screen. I called up apple repair this morning to inquire on the status of repair, since they have had it now for over a week. Apparently it is on hold awaiting parts. The interesting and extremely frustrating part of this conversation was the apple rep listing to me the number of repairs being performed on my powerbook. Mind you I have already sent it in once for repair and I have used the computer for less than 5 days since I purchased it a month ago.

1. Replacing the screen
2. Replacing the "screen bezel" - unclear what this is
3. Replacing the screen latch
4. Replacing the logic board.
5. Replacing the hard drive.

This to me is unexceptable. I refrained from complaining because everything is being repaired/replaced, but honestly, if this many repairs for a new computer does not constitute a "lemon" then I don't know what does. Apple still refused to replace the computer.

machem
Forum Regular
Oct 24, 2003, 03:16 PM

At this point, a repair is better than a new machine.

Trust me.

Often other repairs come about because a) they scratched or damaged something while making the repair (Wouldn't you be pissed if the machine came back scratched?), or
b) they found something wrong while doing the final testing.

It appears that the system check found some faults in your logic board and maybe HD. Wouldn't you be pissed if those two items failed in a week/month/90 days?
1.25GHz 1024M SD 15" AlBook

art_director
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2003, 04:14 PM

they've had mine less than a week but will not specify a day i will get it back. i understand that the apple care official turn around time is 5-7 business days but the fellow who checked in my *brand new* machine at the apple store said i should have it back by wednesday (as in two dyas ago). now all i get is a company line about how they're *trying* to get the parts (replacementscreen). they have already replaced the logic board.

machem
Forum Regular
Oct 24, 2003, 04:21 PM

They are backlogged because LCD supply in general is constrained; add to that everyone turning in their 15" for a repair, and you have a supply problem.

*shrug*

art_director
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2003, 05:05 PM

Originally posted by machem:
They are backlogged because LCD supply in general is constrained; add to that everyone turning in their 15" for a repair, and you have a supply problem.

*shrug*

then perhaps they ought to give us new machines.

machem
Forum Regular
Oct 24, 2003, 05:10 PM

Originally posted by art_director:
Look, I know it's upsetting, and it is ultimately Apple's fault, but supply is supply. If it takes longer than 5-7 days, don't be suprised.

My initial repair took 5 business days exactly, including three days of sitting around waiting for parts. If you do the math, you can see the turnaround is actually pretty damn fast.

Stomp your feet, scream and shout, send your kids to bed early without their cookies, post here if it makes you feel better.

Push for a new machine if you really feel you need a whole new machine, that's my advice.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2003, 08:10 PM

Originally posted by art_director:
Do you really want a new machine that is the same as the one you've got and habe to fix all the same problems?

A "new" machine might be just as bad as the one you got or worse.

art_director
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2003, 09:52 AM

Originally posted by KeriVit:
Do you really want a new machine that is the same as the one you've got and habe to fix all the same problems?

A "new" machine might be just as bad as the one you got or worse.
perhaps a new machine would have the same problems. then again, perhaps not. i haven't heard about anyone else having the logic board replaced two weeks after purchasing their new machine, have you?

as for getting a new unit, well, apple gave me the middle finger. so here i sit, a copy of panther, an empty powerbook box and a wallet that's $3,000 lighter. wow, great deal.

Podolsky
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2003, 02:19 PM

Get you money back, get the Rev B. 17 or wait for the Rev B 15. While not all Rev As are flawed clearly some are and they typically have several things wrong - read - lemons. So, I would just wait or jump to the 17 which I can tell you from personal experience and from reading, is very solid. However, it is BIG!

Sakino
Senior User
Oct 25, 2003, 03:12 PM

Originally posted by Podolsky:
Get you money back, get the Rev B. 17 or wait for the Rev B 15. While not all Rev As are flawed clearly some are and they typically have several things wrong - read - lemons. So, I would just wait or jump to the 17 which I can tell you from personal experience and from reading, is very solid. However, it is BIG!
Actually to tell you the truth, I just sent back my powerbook to have a replacement sent. Well it was supposed to be here on Friday, the Fedex tracker said apple missed the deadline for pickup date.
If my powerbook is not flawless I will ask for a refund and then get a 12 inch powerbook. :/ It's just sad that I had waited around since Jan. to get some bad products.
I just hope mine is flawless.
I have talked with apple reps at the panther deal yesterday, and they said they see a powerbook about ever 2 days with problems. If you think about that, that is quite a lot of machines IMO. Although around campus I have seen 15 inch als that have been flawless. Well monday will only tell, if there is whitespots apple can kiss their 3k good-bye.

Podolsky
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2003, 11:40 PM

Originally posted by Sakino:
Actually to tell you the truth, I just sent back my powerbook to have a replacement sent. Well it was supposed to be here on Friday, the Fedex tracker said apple missed the deadline for pickup date.
If my powerbook is not flawless I will ask for a refund and then get a 12 inch powerbook. :/ It's just sad that I had waited around since Jan. to get some bad products.
I just hope mine is flawless.
I have talked with apple reps at the panther deal yesterday, and they said they see a powerbook about ever 2 days with problems. If you think about that, that is quite a lot of machines IMO. Although around campus I have seen 15 inch als that have been flawless. Well monday will only tell, if there is whitespots apple can kiss their 3k good-bye.
Good luck Sakino. I think the 12 will be just fine. Keep us posted.

x user
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2003, 01:38 AM

I've had no complaints with my RevB 12", and I haven't even updated the RAM yet.

beefstu01
Oct 26, 2003, 02:50 AM

To tell you all the truth, I'd rather get a repair over a replacement. Why? Well, the main reason is that a human SEES the final result before shipping your laptop back to you. I sent my lappy in for white spots, a bad fit, latch problem, strange noises, and an issue with the backlit keyboard. With repairs, I get to nitpick, and the tech will see to all of the problems, and probably won't send the machine back until most of the problems are resolved. If you get a replacement machine, you may end up with the same problems, or more!

Of course, if your machine has massive PHYSICAL defects, like a dented case, then of course, a replacement will be better. But for stuff "under the hood," repair it foo.

art_director
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2003, 11:03 AM

Originally posted by beefstu01:
To tell you all the truth, I'd rather get a repair over a replacement. Why? Well, the main reason is that a human SEES the final result before shipping your laptop back to you. I sent my lappy in for white spots, a bad fit, latch problem, strange noises, and an issue with the backlit keyboard. With repairs, I get to nitpick, and the tech will see to all of the problems, and probably won't send the machine back until most of the problems are resolved. If you get a replacement machine, you may end up with the same problems, or more!

Of course, if your machine has massive PHYSICAL defects, like a dented case, then of course, a replacement will be better. But for stuff "under the hood," repair it foo.

i tend to agree that the loving hands of a tech make for a better machine. now if they would just hurry...

Sakino
Senior User
Oct 26, 2003, 11:36 AM

Here is my question then. Why is it that this powerbook has so many problems with certain people. I mean it should almost have been almost a rev b because of the other al pbs being out since March/April.
It seems as if the white spot problem is a growing problem. Apple should have had this solved after a month of sales? Shouldn't they?

This is my first apple and I am wondering if I should keep my 2nd al pb that is being sent to me, or just ask them to refund my money. I would then probably go with a 12 inch al pb, or maybe a 17.

acedloring  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2003, 01:34 PM

Originally posted by beefstu01:

While I normally would agree with the above statement, considering I sent it in the first time to fix white spots and the powerbook actually came back more broken than how I had sent it in (white spots, broken hinge, HD noise...etc.) I have serious doubts about the quality of service at the repair center. To ship back a computer that obviously was not tested to make sure its defects had been resolved is inexcusable.

As a suggestion to those yet to send their pb in to fix the white spots, request that the repair center keep your powerbook for at least a day or two after repair to make sure the white spot issue is not still there. It seems that in many instances Apple is replacing the screens and not properly testing to make sure there are no white spots. Anyway, just a suggestion so you don't waste your time and have to send it in twice for the same repair....

Forum Links
Forum Rules