Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Can anubody tell me why Safaris caching is so aggressive?

Can anubody tell me why Safaris caching is so aggressive?
Macadvo
Forum Regular
Jan 14, 2006, 07:14 PM

Hi all,

Although my post count would suggest I'm a new Mac user I have in fact owned a Powermac for almost 3 years and am typing this on my partners iBook. I've been a long time lurker on the MacNN forums

Can anybody tell me why Safari seems to so aggressively use its cache?

Whenever I update my site at http://www.the-point.org.uk or using iWeb to update my blog on .Mac the changes do not show in Safari and I have to launch Flock or Mozilla and refresh the page in one of those two apps before the updates will show in Safari with a refresh.

This annoys me. Any way round it?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 14, 2006, 07:16 PM

I have never had Safari fail to update a site when I reloaded it. It's even more odd that loading the page in Mozilla would make Safari notice the change. Are you sure this isn't something your router or ISP is doing?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 14, 2006, 08:07 PM

I have noticed Safari is particularly difficult to get to update CSS and Javascript files sometimes. It is not uncommon that I'll need to force refresh multiple times to get it to update the CSS or Javascript. Sometimes I have to load the Javascript by itself and force refresh that to get it to use the latest version on the page itself. You just kind of learn to live with it.
The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing
- Edmund Burke

Macadvo  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 15, 2006, 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
I have never had Safari fail to update a site when I reloaded it. It's even more odd that loading the page in Mozilla would make Safari notice the change. Are you sure this isn't something your router or ISP is doing?
Tell me about it. At first I thought this was just particular to my PM but now have noticed the same behaviour on my partners iBook. I agree it is very strange that I have to use Mozilla or Flock to refresh first (which maybe points to it being an ISP problem?).

FireWire
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2006, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by madmacgames
I have noticed Safari is particularly difficult to get to update CSS and Javascript files sometimes. It is not uncommon that I'll need to force refresh multiple times to get it to update the CSS or Javascript.
In that case, it could save you some time to use Safari's advanced cache settings, by enabling the Debug menu, as described in this Apple document or this MacOSXhints page.

Then, select "Show Caches Window" from the Debug menu. You have access to many levels of caches, including the WebCore cache (which includes the style sheets) and the JavaScript Objects Cache. You have the opportunity to delete them separately, and more efficiently than using the general "Empty Cache" option.

Forum Links
Forum Rules