Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Is ther a Mac App that will follow forum posts.... on mutiple sites/forums

Is ther a Mac App that will follow forum posts.... on mutiple sites/forums
carterx
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 6, 2010, 04:59 PM

I have no idea if there is such an app out there at all for Mac or Windows.

I find myself lately making a number of book marks for forum posts that I make and always going back to each to check if anyone has replied or get an email letting me know someone posted.

Would be cool to have an application that would work with the more popular forum softwares out there and allow you to keep track of posts. You enter your post link, user.password and the app updates when something has been added.

Long shot but figured I'd ask. I'm on so many forums that it would be really helpful!

Cold Warrior
Mar 6, 2010, 05:56 PM

The only thing I can think of is an RSS reader that would let you flag threads. It won't show new posts, but it'd let you keep track of threads you'd like to revisit.

ibook_steve
Mar 7, 2010, 02:23 AM

Don't most forums allow you to subscribe to a thread, sending you an email whenever someone replies? I'm not sure if ours does this...

Steve

EDIT: It does. When you reply to a post, you can set up a notification for the thread.
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Cold Warrior
Mar 7, 2010, 10:17 AM

good point -- the forums' subscription options. Pair the alerts with an email account and email client that support IMAP IDLE, and your thread alerts are pushed in real time (assuming the forum mailer keeps up).

carterx  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 7, 2010, 11:40 AM

I know about forum subscriptions but as I mentioned above that can get annoying with being swamped with emails. I think if someone created such an app that it would definitely get used.

Cold Warrior
Mar 7, 2010, 11:59 AM

You could use a separate email account and a separate email client. I use thunderbird for email but could see myself using Mail just to keep track of a lot of forum subscriptions.

Forum Links
Forum Rules