Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Gaming News & Discussion

Gaming News & Discussion (Page 76)
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jan 27, 2014, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Yes, but it comes with an iPad with buttons.
That sounds entirely contradictory.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 27, 2014, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
That sounds entirely contradictory.
Fact.

P
Jan 27, 2014, 05:51 PM

In console war news: Performance analysis: Tomb Raider Definitive Edition • Articles • Eurogamer.net

Code:
Gameplay Analysis Xbox One PlayStation 4 Lowest Frame-Rate 24fps 33fps Highest Frame-Rate 30fps 60fps Average Frame-Rate 29.84fps 50.98fps
Max frame rate is probably ROP limited, and the PS4 has twice as many ROPs. Min framerate is probably shader limited, and the PS4 has 50% more shaders. Makes sense.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

P
Jan 28, 2014, 03:55 AM

Developer of the good Assassin's Creed game claims that Shadows of Mordor looks like it's using the same engine. There are worse ideas to copy, I guess.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 29, 2014, 03:32 AM

Microsoft acquirers Gears of War rights from Epic Games

Microsoft is now tasking Vancouver's Black Tusk studios with carrying Gears forward and have taken the bold step of bringing former Director of Production at Epic Games, Rod Fergusson, on board in a studio leadership role at Black Tusk.
I guess it's nice to see Gears have a future since obviously Epic Games didn't care about the series after releasing that last horrible prequel.

Black Tusk doesn't ring a bell to me. Anyone know what they're known for?

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 29, 2014, 03:35 AM

In other news EA has a publisher sale going on Xbox this week. Been waiting for the Citadel DLC for Mass Effect 3 to go on sale for what seemed to be an eternity. Finally got it for half price. Anyone here played it?

P
Jan 29, 2014, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by KCrosbie View Post
Black Tusk doesn't ring a bell to me. Anyone know what they're known for?
They used to be Microsoft Vancouver and was renamed as a branding exercise. According to what I can google up, the only game they worked on as a studio is the latest edition of MS Flight Simulator. For all intents and purposes, it's a new studio, which is why they saw the need to flesh it out with some light name recognition.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 29, 2014, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Developer of the good Assassin's Creed game claims that Shadows of Mordor looks like it's using the same engine. There are worse ideas to copy, I guess.
I saw this last night, and after watching the comparison footage, it definitely looks very, very similar.

They apparently don't want any legal teams involved — he just wants to be credited on the game.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 29, 2014, 11:28 AM

Also, long story short: I received a free XBox One last weekend.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jan 29, 2014, 11:34 AM

Also, long story short: I received a free XBox One last weekend.
Congrats on the cancer

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 29, 2014, 11:41 AM

I'm looking to sell it for $425 (still unopened) and pocket the cash.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 29, 2014, 01:26 PM

With that kind of money I could buy a PS4 and...like...five pizzas.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jan 29, 2014, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
With that kind of money I could buy a PS4 and...like...five pizzas.
Don't tell potential buyers.

And really I will laugh my ass off if JB follows through.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 29, 2014, 05:13 PM

And really I will laugh my ass off if JB follows through.
With selling it? Why? I don't really have a use for it.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jan 29, 2014, 05:15 PM

With selling it? Why? I don't really have a use for it.
You don't get to defend yourself with your history of selling and rebuying systems. Do you have a Wii U?

P
Jan 29, 2014, 06:35 PM

If you put it on eBay, you can probably get more than $500 for it.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 29, 2014, 06:35 PM

You don't get to defend yourself with your history of selling and rebuying systems. Do you have a Wii U?
...I did a few weeks ago.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 29, 2014, 06:36 PM

If you put it on eBay, you can probably get more than $500 for it.
Why would someone in N America pay that much for it?

P
Jan 30, 2014, 07:50 AM

It's what I saw when I looked in on eBay.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jan 30, 2014, 10:11 AM

...I did a few weeks ago.
You got rid of it since then?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 30, 2014, 02:39 PM

You got rid of it since then?
I bought it about a month after launch. Got rid of it a few weeks ago.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jan 30, 2014, 02:41 PM

Man, this just craps on the X1 further. "I bought a Wii U, but I won't even keep a free Xbox One."

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 30, 2014, 08:25 PM

Just trying to keep the legacy alive.

I don't know how I could sleep at night if a system existed that I hadn't sold.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2014, 08:35 PM

Better sell your PS4 before you lose anymore sleep.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 30, 2014, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
Better sell your PS4 before you lose anymore sleep.
Not a chance.

The PS3 was the only system I never sold, and I can't see it happening with the PS4 either.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2014, 06:43 AM

Not a chance.

The PS3 was the only system I never sold, and I can't see it happening with the PS4 either.
Thats a seriously good sentence for Sony's marketing dept.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 31, 2014, 10:51 AM

It's what I saw when I looked in on eBay.
BIN for $480

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 1, 2014, 04:32 AM

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

P
Feb 5, 2014, 09:31 AM

Titanfall won't be coming to the PS4, but it just might come to the Mac. Given that the system requirements are rather modest (minimum is 8800 GT/4770), it should run well too.

P
Feb 6, 2014, 10:01 AM

Sony's gaming division is making money. Buckets of it. Implies that they're making a good profit on each PS4 sold, because there aren't too many games out for it yet.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 6, 2014, 10:17 AM

Sony's gaming division is making money. Buckets of it. Implies that they're making a good profit on each PS4 sold, because there aren't too many games out for it yet.
It's likely PS Plus, who had its subscriptions triple.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 6, 2014, 10:43 AM

Amazon purchases Killer Instinct maker Double Helix Games | Ars Technica
Online retailer, tablet-maker, and media streamer Amazon has extended its reach further with the purchase of Double Helix Games, best known of late for developing the reboot of Killer Instinct for the Xbox One launch. TechCrunch was the first to report the acquisition, and Amazon soon confirmed it, saying in a statement that the move was “part of our ongoing commitment to build innovative games for customers.”

P
Feb 6, 2014, 12:27 PM

It's likely PS Plus, who had its subscriptions triple.
Could be, but at least it's not a massive loss per console sold, the way it was on the PS3. I know some Xbots suggested that when the prices were revealed. All in all, Sony seems to have executed well on this launch.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 7, 2014, 10:51 AM

Call of Duty now takes three years to make, three studios keep it annual | Joystiq
Activision has announced a new three-year development cycle for upcoming Call of Duty games, starting with this year's release. This move, which will still see individual Call of Duty games coming out annually, cements Sledgehammer Games as one of Activision's primary Call of Duty developers alongside Infinity Ward and Treyarch, which are respectively responsible for Call of Duty: Ghosts and Call of Duty: Black Ops 2. Each studio's game will take three years to develop, staggered for release on an annualized schedule.
The weird thing is, I think this is a good sign, as 3 year development time should allow for better features and hopefully, less OT for the developers.

P
Feb 7, 2014, 11:05 AM

Less OT for developers? Yeah, no, I don't think so. This is a company run by a guy whose proudest achievement is that he took the fun out of making games. Really. He said that.

It could well be that they need some more time to make engine updates. As I understand, the last big updates to that part of it were back before West and Zampella left.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Feb 10, 2014, 10:46 AM

I picked up Splinter Cell: Blacklist during the Steam sale last weekend and in 8 days I've put 41 hours into it already - it took me 2 months to put 48 hours into beating Borderlands 2.

I bought Splinter Cell: Conviction a year or two back and really liked it, so I had Steam alert me when this dropped below $20. I remember playing MGS on PS2 with a friend and couldn't get over how awesome it was. After playing through Conviction on PC I bought MGS4 for PS3 and could not STAND it. I felt like the controls just got in the way of what I wanted my character to do and usually ended up running out right in front of enemies.

I don't get that feeling with the Splinter Cell series and I'm really enjoying this one. I haven't played any online/co-op yet but maybe I'll give it a shot.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 14, 2014, 09:57 AM

January NPD: PS4 leads hardware, Xbox platforms sell most games | Joystiq
In a statement obtained by VentureBeat, demand for the PS4 remains high as it retained the number one spot, "nearly doubling the nearest next-gen competitor," said Sony spokesperson Guy Longworth.
It's a little early for the PS4 to be nearly doubling X1 sales. will be curious to see if this holds.

P
Feb 14, 2014, 10:49 AM

I wonder if they're still supply constrained. Right now you can't get a high-end AMD GPU for love or money - this has been blamed on Litecoin miners (nVidia being useless for mining, apparently) and yields at the Hawaii launch, but it doesn't seem to be letting up despite the availability of mining ASICs and time passing. It's getting bad enough that even the 270 series is creeping up in price. If MS is buying up all that spare fab capacity that we thought we had last summer, that might be the reason.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 14, 2014, 10:53 AM

I think they're less supply constrained compared to the holidays (Just checked, it's in stock at amazon).

P
Feb 14, 2014, 10:58 AM

MS still hasn't launched in most of the world, though. They have to be stockpiling for that, which means that they might very well be buying all the sheets they can get their hands on at TSMC et al.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 14, 2014, 11:08 AM

MS still hasn't launched in most of the world, though. They have to be stockpiling for that, which means that they might very well be buying all the sheets they can get their hands on at TSMC et al.
NPD is US only, though.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 14, 2014, 12:05 PM

With the embargo having recently broken, let's talk Titanfall for a second.

Having watched a few a videos the first impression is that the CoD parentage is pretty obvious. The speed and the size are obvious hallmarks. My second thought was, "This is what Activision didn't want to let them make. What idiots." It's the classic repeating of a mistake. They didn't want IW to make MW and instead focus on WWII games. Now this.

Which is not to say that this is the next big thing, but that allowing IW (or Respawn as it is now) to explore new gameplay and motifs can only help their future design. As it is, it feels like some guys who made a really popular game (CoD) were also fans of another popular game (Halo) and wanted to explore the space. They focused on mechs. And in balancing the earning of those mechs, they took a feature from MOBAs (AI creeps). The wall jumping looks superb. The aesthetic is slick (The interior of the mechs is made of of several "screens" that can malfunction when EMP'd). The Mechs have a fatal weakness (Just like the Wraith's of Halo).

I've heard some panning of the graphics and heard its running on the Source engine, which I presume is cheap, and in turn presume it was used because this is Respawn's first game and somewhat a proof-of-concept.

P
Feb 14, 2014, 12:12 PM

I know (which makes this more interesting as a stat, as MS has always been strongest in the US) but I'm wondering if MS is supply-constrained anyway as they're building stock in anticipation of release in Japan, the rest of Europe, and even China now that the console ban is lifted. Then again, some more googling shows that MS has not even announced a release date for the rest of Europe (which ought to be their first concern), so maybe not. Honestly, I'm just surprised about the lack of high-end GPUs on the market.

P
Feb 14, 2014, 12:20 PM

I've heard some panning of the graphics and heard its running on the Source engine, which I presume is cheap, and in turn presume it was used because this is Respawn's first game and somewhat a proof-of-concept.
Source is Valve's engine, made for Half-life 2, which absolutely ancient. It would have been less of a surprise to use Frostbite 2 if they're friends with EA now, or Unreal 3, or CryEngine 3 or whatever. Valve is apparently working on the engine again though (HL 3 confirmed!1!1!one!), so maybe that's why Respawn picked it.

In all honesty, the graphics race has become silly. Recently played through Metro: LL, which is supposedly so fantastically beautiful, and I'm not sure I saw any difference between High and Very High. On the other hand, you can get a GPU for $200 (when they're in stock, anyway) that absolutely destroys any game at 1080p, so there is arguably even more power to use if there is a need.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 14, 2014, 12:20 PM

building stock in anticipation of release in Japan
They probably move units on amazon in a week than they'll need in all of japan.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 14, 2014, 12:25 PM

I think we may have crossed wires. I was originally talking about PS4 availability.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 14, 2014, 03:33 PM

Oh yeah, Titanfall having no single-player is another great thing. Another aspect that future devs should consider when trying out a new multi IP.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2014, 06:14 PM

Titanfall is X1/Windows and not PS4, correct?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 14, 2014, 06:50 PM

I was able to snag Ghosts, Bioshock Infinite and GTAV off of a buddy for cheap, guess I'm sticking with the 360 for a while longer...

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2014, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I was able to snag Ghosts, Bioshock Infinite and GTAV off of a buddy for cheap, guess I'm sticking with the 360 for a while longer...
Love to hear your opinions about CoD online. Especially after your BF4 success.

Forum Links
Forum Rules