Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Gaming News & Discussion

Gaming News & Discussion (Page 77)
mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2014, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post
Titanfall is X1/Windows and not PS4, correct?
There's a 360 version coming out as well I think. But yes, no PS4 AFAIK.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Feb 16, 2014, 08:58 AM

Dropped In to talk a little TitanFall, I've been playing the beta since Thursday and have about 15 hours of gameplay in. This is the X1 killer app (360 too).

The gameplay is a new age halo with COD gunplay. The parkour running style is like nothing I've ever experienced, the fluid of the motions allows you to use your agility to avoid Titans at will and with more and more experience you learn more "runs" using and stringing abilities together. The level design (2 maps in the beta) is focused on open space and vertical climbs.

The Titans are the game changer, I found myself early on thinking I had just unlocked some unbeatable kill streak or found a scorpion (halo) but instead your tactic and style can allow you to stay in your Titan for half the game or 10 seconds and an enemy rodeos you and takes you out. Also in the first few games I would be watching the clock and calling in my Titan ASAP, this is not a good plan. It seems best to wait for the right moment (has your team taken down the 4 enemy titans?) and also the right spawn area.

During Hardpoint (domination/territories) leaving your Titan in AI controlled mode can be an unstoppable force, with two titans camped outside a building while the two pilots cover the Hardpoint and rooftop you can easily hold an area... That is until your enemy brings a few of their titans to the battle...

I was skeptical of this game before the beta, was waiting for release to get more info before I purchased but after day two of the beta I put down the preorder.

Sorry for the convoluted mess of impressions, let me know if anyone has specific questions, beta goes till Tuesday so happy to check anything out and record some clips if anyone is interested.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Feb 16, 2014, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I was able to snag Ghosts, Bioshock Infinite and GTAV off of a buddy for cheap, guess I'm sticking with the 360 for a while longer...
Please let me know your impressions of Infinite when you finish, that's easily my GOTY 2013

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 17, 2014, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin Bogues View Post
Sorry for the convoluted mess of impressions, let me know if anyone has specific questions, beta goes till Tuesday so happy to check anything out and record some clips if anyone is interested.
Pardon my ignorance, but can I see clips you've uploaded without accessing XBL? I'd love to see some of your gameplay footage.

...despite the fact that I just sold the unopened XBone that fell into my lap two weeks ago.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 17, 2014, 12:09 PM

Titanfall is X1/Windows and not PS4, correct?
Correct.

But future sequels haven't been locked down by Microsoft (as of yet).

P
Feb 17, 2014, 12:47 PM

As I posted a while back, Respawn also want to do a Mac version. Since the engine has been ported, it should be easy enough to do.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2014, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Love to hear your opinions about CoD online. Especially after your BF4 success.
We all know he picked up Ghosts to play the single player campaign.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 17, 2014, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
lulz

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 17, 2014, 05:34 PM

Love to hear your opinions about CoD online. Especially after your BF4 success.
I haven't really played that much yet but I think it's safe to say there isn't much different about Ghosts than the previous CoD incarnations. Seeing as 80% of getting good at CoD is learning the maps I have been fairly lukewarm at getting good K/Ds, and the perk tree is entirely foreign to me so I'm not sure whether getting beat at a heads up fight is the connection or just a better equipped opponent.

I like the unlock system for weapons, as in you get points for games that you can spend on weapons and whatever attachments you may want for them. It has certainly been far less painful than desperately trying to unlock a RDS while getting demolished. The dog killstreak is kinda fun and useful and every once and a while you will get a 'mission' briefcase from killing an enemy that has you complete a task (kill two enemies while prone, etc) for some kind of reward, I'm not sure since I've never completed one.

I should have a better feel for the actual nuts and bolts of online multi in a week or so.

Originally Posted by Kevin Bogues View Post
Please let me know your impressions of Infinite when you finish, that's easily my GOTY 2013
I actually got very close to completing Infinite a while back when I signed up for GameFly to play The Last of Us, but instead of re-upping for another month I sent the game back. I look forward to finishing as the game was a hoot to play. I still think the original game will always be among one of the best I've played, especially due to the awesome location and atmosphere, but Infinite was a more fun and refined shooter in general.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 18, 2014, 05:43 AM

PS4 trumps the Xbox One as sales hit 5.3 million- The Inquirer

Wonder if Titanfall will boost xbone sales. Getting good feedback about it from the PC players that I know.

P
Feb 18, 2014, 08:47 AM

So there is a small brouhaha over Valve supposedly sniffing the Windows DNS cache in their cheat-busting program. Gabe Newell shows up in the Reddit thread and explains exactly what is going on, and that's the end of that. EA, are you listening? THIS is how you handle PR flareups.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 18, 2014, 12:05 PM

PS4 trumps the Xbox One as sales hit 5.3 million- The Inquirer

Wonder if Titanfall will boost xbone sales. Getting good feedback about it from the PC players that I know.
It will.

Infamous: Second Son and MLB: The Show are going to be the PS4's big titles for March and April, respectively. The Show will do well for that market, but it's probably not going to sell a ton of units.

Infamous is the wild card. The first two games got lost in the shuffle and never sold as well as they should have, but Second Son has received a ton of buzz for being the first next-gen-only title for PS4 (Killzone still seemed rushed out), and the lack of competing releases ensures it will receive some attention. But again, I don't really see it being a system-seller.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 18, 2014, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
So there is a small brouhaha over Valve supposedly sniffing the Windows DNS cache in their cheat-busting program. Gabe Newell shows up in the Reddit thread and explains exactly what is going on, and that's the end of that. EA, are you listening? THIS is how you handle PR flareups.
Honestly, is there anyone better than Gabe?

Leonard
Professional Poster
Feb 18, 2014, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
No, I did. Pretty simple plot.

Alot less concentration of achievements on the veteran difficulty - I think there are 2 achievements that require veteran difficulty.

I'll have to try the extintion gameplay.

When did the multiplayer character setup get so complex and different. Must be from black ops 2.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 18, 2014, 03:45 PM

Without a doubt.

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Honestly, is there anyone better than Gabe?
Jesus?

I was able to snag Ghosts, Bioshock Infinite and GTAV off of a buddy for cheap, guess I'm sticking with the 360 for a while longer...
This is payback for the BF4 360 debacle, isn't it? I thought I saw you playing Infinite already...

Well, you're still missed from hot and heavy BF action. Get that PS4, yo

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 18, 2014, 05:13 PM

Not really, besides BF4 there isn't a single game on the PS4 I'd buy at this point. I think Fallout 4 is going to be the breaking point for me honestly. I mean we played games on the 360 for what, 6-7 years? I don't mind being 9 months behind with that kind of longevity ahead of me.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 18, 2014, 05:19 PM

Irrational Games to be Dissolved

17 Years of making games, end of an era for realz.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 18, 2014, 05:28 PM

I'm curious what kind of game he has planned that starting a new studio seems ideal. Then again, perhaps downsizing his current one to fill his needs is too complicated a task. Strange.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 19, 2014, 11:01 AM

Also, you can tell I've been playing BF too long because watching Titanfall I wanted pilots to be able to repair mechs.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 19, 2014, 04:59 PM

Ghosts: Playing with Jabslot & co. last night. Go 19-1, next game start off 0-10. Had some decently laggy games, some where the other team had an un-killable player that obviously has whatever host advantage means these days, balanced matches where I did well and vice versa. To be honest the games do start to blur together when I'm trying to suss out if the multi "runs better" than before. There's too many variables involved to separate anything post-Blops1-onwards. Sometimes it's brilliant and sometimes it's shit, most of the time it's some degree of questionable, which I'm pretty sure has been the case for a while. SMGs do no appear to rule the roost like in BO2 and some levels actually have line of sight for sniping. Uhh, yeah, it's a Call of Duty game alright. It runs better than BF4 for sure but BF4 is a better game.

Titanfall looks pretty insane. Not in a Battlefield way but in a "CoD-replacement" way. It's fast, arcade-y, runs buttery smooth and offers a reprieve from the stale current formula.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2014, 06:31 PM

but no one has an X1 to play it on... I am still without a latest-gen device, neither has really swayed me. PC gaming (mostly SC2) has satiated my needs.

PS4 seems nice, but the comments about controller durability bother me.

I really like X1's multimedia options (I have free digital cable), but framerate issues when it comes to gaming are a big no no.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 20, 2014, 06:37 PM

Titanfall is also coming out for 360 and considering it runs on the Source Engine I'm optimistic about good performance there as well. Source has always scaled incredibly well to older hardware.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 24, 2014, 02:27 PM

Microsoft announces first Xbox One price cut - and throws in Titanfall for free • News • Xbox One • Eurogamer.net
Microsoft has announced the first Xbox One price cut.

From 28th February Xbox One will carry an estimated retail price of £399.99 in the UK. It currently costs £429.99.
Megaton? That's like $50.

---

Also Jawbone, i was thinking, I wonder if you'd been less likely to sell the X1 during the Titanfall beta.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 24, 2014, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Also Jawbone, i was thinking, I wonder if you'd been less likely to sell the X1 during the Titanfall beta.
Nope.

I think Titanfall looks great right now, but I also think people will tire of it faster than CoD and BF. The gameplay is just too hectic. This plays into my personal decision as well — I prefer my gaming sessions a little more laid-back these days. It's more difficult to get good sleep when you've spent the last two hours of the day deep in white-knuckle gameplay.

I used the money I made from the One to pay off my Infamous and MLB pre-orders.

Lastly, due to some bizarre Amazon crap, I snagged CoD: Ghosts for $2.06.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 24, 2014, 11:13 PM

For PS4?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 24, 2014, 11:47 PM

Yep.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 25, 2014, 04:58 AM

I think Titanfall looks great right now, but I also think people will tire of it faster than CoD and BF. The gameplay is just too hectic. This plays into my personal decision as well — I prefer my gaming sessions a little more laid-back these days. It's more difficult to get good sleep when you've spent the last two hours of the day deep in white-knuckle gameplay.
LOL, exactly how I feel. You must be getting old - like me.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 25, 2014, 01:04 PM

For PS4?
Speaking of PS4, with Second Assault out I just realized that we can't play CTF together, again.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 25, 2014, 02:39 PM

LOL, exactly how I feel. You must be getting old - like me.
Bingo.

I've been listening to Merlin Mann's "Back to Work" podcasts, and he's been discussing his "sleep hacking" project a ton. He emphasizes turning off all screens an hour before bed, covering any LED status lights with gaffer's tape, having a low-frequency noise machine, etc. Definitely worth a listen if you're so inclined.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 25, 2014, 02:43 PM

I've been listening to Merlin Mann's "Back to Work" podcasts, and he's been discussing his "sleep hacking" project a ton. He emphasizes turning off all screens an hour before bed, covering any LED status lights with gaffer's tape, having a low-frequency noise machine, etc. Definitely worth a listen if you're so inclined.
Somebody even told me that one shouldn't read just before sleeping. The best games of the session are just before midnight!!!

P
Feb 25, 2014, 03:35 PM

TAN I guess, but the main advice I can give for anyone struggling with sleep habits is to always rise at the same time, every day, weekend or weekday, for a month or so. That should restore your sleep habits and you can begin sleeping in on weekends again.

Avoiding active displays is a good idea, but it also helps if you reduce the brightness an hour or so before bed. For computers there are apps that do that automatically.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2014, 09:27 PM

X1 is looking pretty appealing. $100 over the life of a console is nothing.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 26, 2014, 08:58 AM

X1 is looking pretty appealing. $100 over the life of a console is nothing.
Not meaning to come across in a 'justify-yourself' way, but why not stay with the PC? Personally, Titanfall doesn't impress me that much that I'd buy the xbone. Forza was excellent but Forza 5 seems to be the same tracks, same cars - just prettier.

I'm still not sure that I'm getting a PS4, but would be interested by your reasons for getting the xbone.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 26, 2014, 01:02 PM

Not meaning to come across in a 'justify-yourself' way, but why not stay with the PC?
Yeah, I don't get it. The only thing he stated thus far that I would use to guess is he has free cable.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2014, 05:24 PM

Yes, my free cable perk is playing into the decision. I actually prefer consoles for FPS games, and I like the couch for obvious reasons. The multimedia features of the X1 are what appeal to me. What gives me pause is the lack of people I know with an X1, for me, gaming is a social experience (not solitary).

My desire to buy games day 1 has softened significantly. Diablo 3 was such a huge disappointment to me that I can't see myself buying a game without seeing user reviews ever again. It's not really a financial issue, more of a don't-waste-my-f**king-time one.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 26, 2014, 05:37 PM

for me, gaming is a social experience (not solitary).
That's what makes an X1 such a strange decision.

It's funny, about a month after the PS4 came out one of the guys we used to play with on 360 was like, "Where everyone at?" He was pretty much the only person on the crew who didn't jump to PS4, but bought a X1 instead.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 26, 2014, 07:06 PM

The multimedia features of the X1 are what appeal to me.
You will be assimilated.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2014, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
That's what makes an X1 such a strange decision.

It's funny, about a month after the PS4 came out one of the guys we used to play with on 360 was like, "Where everyone at?" He was pretty much the only person on the crew who didn't jump to PS4, but bought a X1 instead.
Which is exactly why I haven't bought an X1.

I wonder how comparable X1's voice commands are to Siri. Lots of people complain about Siri but I have no issues with her being able to understand me. It would be cool to control my entire entertainment setup with voice commands (has to work every time though).

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 27, 2014, 01:17 PM

Not your fault, JB, but PS+ is not living up to the hype. The past three free offerings have been Don't Starve, Outlast, and now Dead Nation.Oddly, there feels like a common thread of them all being kind of 'dark' games, but good lord, its kind of frustrating that with a system that has almost no games I want to buy, the fact that I hate the free offerings is like twisting the knife.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2014, 03:44 PM

Yeah I agree, so far the free offerings have been disapointing.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2014, 11:02 PM

Give it time. I agree that the early PS4 offerings have sucked so far, but that's only because we're experiencing the early-days software drought. PS+ was amazing for the PS3 and Vita, and it'll get that way for the PS4 as titles are released (and age).

The best features of PS+ were making top-tier titles free (sometimes completely out of the blue), and exposing users to a ton of incredible titles that they might have not tried if they hadn't been included. The top-tier titles usually took at least 6 months to be free, but I downloaded a heap of free games that I wouldn't have bought just because of financial restrictions.

PS4's offerings wouldn't have felt quite so barren if Driveclub had met its original release date.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 3, 2014, 11:21 AM

Give it time.
To be fair, I was hoping PS+ would shore up the lack of early games. Their selection has been games with a very narrow audience instead.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 3, 2014, 12:19 PM

I think that's a fair perspective.

My opinion might not be the most objective, since Resogun has probably been my favorite PS4 experience thus far.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 3, 2014, 12:20 PM

I think that's a fair perspective.

My opinion might not be the most objective, since Resogun has probably been my favorite PS4 experience thus far.
Unfortunately for them, Resogun was a launch title. It's post launch support I was looking forward to.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 3, 2014, 12:27 PM

Not to change course too much, but are you guys considering picking up Infamous at this point?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 3, 2014, 12:29 PM

Haven't even looked at it.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2014, 08:28 PM

Is Infamous out for the PS4? I haven't even looked at it. My original plan was to stick with BF4 until Destiny is released. But I don't know if BF4 can hold me over for that long.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 3, 2014, 09:20 PM

P
Mar 5, 2014, 10:04 AM

Batman: Arkham Knight confirmed for October 2014:

Batman: Arkham Knight coming to PS4, Xbox One, PC in 2014 | Polygon

PC, PS4 and Xbone, sequel to AC, and it's Rocksteady back at the helm.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 5, 2014, 10:11 AM

I love that we've reached a point that simply giving a game the Batman moniker isn't enough, it also has to carry the Arkham subtitle.

Forum Links
Forum Rules