Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New 17" pb

New 17" pb
techyguy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2004, 02:27 PM

I just order myself a pbook yesterday!

17" 1.5ghz
512mb ram
128 vram
80gb 5400rpm hd

I'm a windows user making the switch. I already do alot of video editing (small documentary stuff) and am going into it in college, so i figured FCP 4 was the only way to go. (who wants to suffer through using premiere...)

I was wondering if someone has recently done a BTO setup like mine?
How long did it take to be built and ship? (mine is still sitting on the 'open' status...my apple care kit shipped tho )
How do you like your machine?

Thanks and btw after reading through this forum i was convinced to make the switch so thanks to all for the great advice.
G4 17" Powerbook rev c- 1.5gb ram - 80gb 5400

20gb 3rd gen ipod + 200gb WD fw/usb2.0 + Canon GL2

TheMosco
Mac Elite
May 24, 2004, 02:31 PM

Originally posted by techyguy:

17" 1.5ghz
512mb ram
128 vram
80gb 5400rpm hd

I'm a windows user making the switch. I already do alot of video editing (small documentary stuff) and am going into it in college, so i figured FCP 4 was the only way to go. (who wants to suffer through using premiere...)

How long did it take to be built and ship? (mine is still sitting on the 'open' status...my apple care kit shipped tho )

Thanks and btw after reading through this forum i was convinced to make the switch so thanks to all for the great advice.
I ordered the exact same thing as you(same specs) except in the 15inch model late friday, and apple shipped it from Shanghai today and fedex states delivery as the 27th.
AXP
ΔΣΦ

Keiretsu
Dedicated MacNNer
May 24, 2004, 03:24 PM

17" 1.5ghz
512mb ram
128 vram
80gb 5400rpm hd

My 17" with your exact specs shipped just the day after I ordered it from Shanghai took about a week until it turned up on my doorstep.

BTW you may want to add 3rd party ram for serious FCP work! 512 is a bit tight, if I may say so ;-)

vandelay
May 24, 2004, 04:26 PM

Originally posted by Keiretsu:
My 17" with your exact specs shipped just the day after I ordered it from Shanghai took about a week until it turned up on my doorstep.

BTW you may want to add 3rd party ram for serious FCP work! 512 is a bit tight, if I may say so ;-)

Same specs here too. Ordered on Tuesday, it shipped Saturday and arrived, here in Germany, on Friday.

sbc
Forum Regular
May 24, 2004, 05:57 PM

everyone should share their joy in this thread
Am I ready for the Mac? I want a 60G iPod!!!!!

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
May 24, 2004, 06:49 PM

I agree -- If you are going to do a lot of video work, get some more RAM for that baby!

iREZ
Professional Poster
May 24, 2004, 07:08 PM

sbc gets MVP (most valuable post) for this thread.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

techyguy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2004, 07:11 PM

I'll definatly post some pictures once i have it

techyguy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2004, 07:21 PM

Ya i'm definatly going to put at least a gig in it, it just didn't fit into my budget right now.

Big Fat Al
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2004, 11:36 PM

Ya i'm definatly going to put at least a gig in it, it just didn't fit into my budget right now.
Yup - I've got the same config. Bumped up the RAM to 1.5 GB last week and that has helped a lot. I'm using FCE rather than FCP, but I presume you would see a similar boost in performance.

My PowerBook was delivered 4 days after placing my online order direct with Apple Australia. I've been enjoying the computer for about 3 weeks now.

muchachotron
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2004, 10:18 AM

have you noticed the airport extreme problems that other people have encountered after bumping the ram to 1.5 ghz? you should definitely try it, if you don't have wifi at home, go to a cafe or something where its free, and try it out.

in case you haven't seen anything about this issue, people who have more than 1gb of ram in their airport extreme powerbooks have experienced their wifi connection dropping out, and they need to reboot the machine to make it active again.

Keiretsu
Dedicated MacNNer
May 25, 2004, 06:59 PM

Originally posted by muchachotron:
have you noticed the airport extreme problems that other people have encountered after bumping the ram to 1.5 ghz? you should definitely try it, if you don't have wifi at home, go to a cafe or something where its free, and try it out.

in case you haven't seen anything about this issue, people who have more than 1gb of ram in their airport extreme powerbooks have experienced their wifi connection dropping out, and they need to reboot the machine to make it active again.
Not all, it seems to be mainly 12" PBs. My 17" 1.5 runs nice with 1.5GB of RAM!

Big Fat Al
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2004, 07:53 PM

Originally posted by muchachotron:
Yes, I'm aware of this problem. It surfaced approximately 20 minutes after installing my additional 1GB RAM module.

Detailed discussion and postings can be found here: http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]

I've tried most of the interim solutions offered. Some have helped reduce the frequency of the dropouts, but I'm still averaging one dropout per day - requiring a reboot.

Apparently Apple are aware of the issue so hopefully it will be resolved soon.

techyguy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 26, 2004, 09:44 AM

Thanks for all the advice guys, my pb shipped today and will be here friday, my birthday! What a great present huh?

Forum Links
Forum Rules