Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Gaming News & Discussion

Gaming News & Discussion (Page 27)
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 1, 2012, 05:11 PM

Which game development studio head was the top Colbert Super PAC supporter? | Joystiq
There's one man in the northeastern United States who is way, way into making America a better tomorrow, tomorrow, and that man is Harmonix Music Systems co-founder and CEO Alex Rigopulos.
That's Mr. Rockband.

Bungie handing over Halo community services to 343 in March | Joystiq
RIP to the best gaming stats site I know, that blows away Elite and Battlelog still.

UK's Channel 4 finds new reality TV trend in The Sims 3 | Joystiq
The UK's Channel 4 has taken that one trend deeper, getting rid of the real people completely with "SuperMe," a TV show filmed entirely in The Sims 3. SuperMe follows four Sims living together and is completely unscripted, except for the narrator, who provides insight into what the Sims are thinking, feeling and doing. As producer Somethin' Else describes it, "It's like real life, but improvised by robots."
Welcome to the future.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2012, 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post

RIP to the best gaming stats site I know, that blows away Elite and Battlelog still.
You can add halo.xbox.com to that list. It still doesn't have all the stats that bungie.net has and the layout isn't as nice.

In other news, I think the power supply is going out on my Xbox Elite. I turned it on this afternoon and heard a loud grinding noise . At first I thought is was the DVD drive or hard drive but upon further inspection it appears to be the fan inside the power supply brick. I wonder how much a replacement will cost.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2012, 07:03 AM

Strange (stupid even) that other dev houses haven't just ripped of what Halo had and put the same in place for their games.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 2, 2012, 10:53 AM

Obviously they make it look easier than it is. I mean, look at Elite.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2012, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
You can add halo.xbox.com to that list. It still doesn't have all the stats that bungie.net has and the layout isn't as nice.
Yeah I'm going to hate it when bungie.net stops getting updated. As well, I assume this means the Bungie app for iphone/ipad is going to stop working as I assume it's hooked in to Bungie.net.

I'm not sure why 343 didn't just clone the Bungie.net site and replace a few "Bungie" graphics with 343 graphics.

Originally Posted by Dakar
Obviously they make it look easier than it is. I mean, look at Elite.
Yeah, I'm sure Bungie put alot of work into their website and community, and it shows. They were dedicated to HALO.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Leonard
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2012, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Strange (stupid even) that other dev houses haven't just ripped of what Halo had and put the same in place for their games.
I think CoD tried, but they obviously didn't dedicate enough resources to it.
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 2, 2012, 12:59 PM

Gamasutra - News - PS3 price reduction blamed for Sony Q3 losses
Sony has posted financial results for the third quarter of the 2011 fiscal year, with a notable decline in revenue and a swing to losses year-over-year recorded for its Consumer Products & Services division, which houses its PlayStation business.

The company said that the losses were due in part to the higher marketing costs for promoting its network service platforms, and the lower revenue from PlayStation 3 hardware as a result of the price reduction in 2011.
And to think a lot of people complained they didn't cut the price enough.

We're months away from a new gen starting (Assuming the WiiU even qualifies, specs-wise) and the PS3 is only $50 cheaper than what the PS2 debuted at, and we're four years into it's life-span.

The HD upgrade really wreaked havoc with the industry.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2012, 11:09 PM

id's RAGE comes to the Mac App Store. But without multiplayer. $40.

I will be buying. I was whining when it wasn't available for Mac, so now I will die happy.

EDIT: as usual in the Mac App Store, the minimum/recommended specs make no sense. Minimum 2.4 GHz, but runs on Intel HD 3000? Certainly, my 8 core, 2.2 GHz i7 MBP can run this thing without a hiccup, right?
( Last edited by lpkmckenna; Feb 2, 2012 at 11:16 PM. )

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 3, 2012, 02:38 AM

The Simpsons Arcade coming this Friday to X-Box live for 800 M$ points

I have been waiting for this game since they released TMNT and X-Men. This was one of those games I remember back in the day where I dropped s $hitload of quarters on.

Now all they gotta do is release WrestleFest and my collection of favorite classic arcade games will be complete!

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 3, 2012, 07:13 AM

Speaking of TMNT, rumour has it that Batman Arkham City creator Rocksteady's next game is TMNT. You may now commence hysterical screaming and joviality.

P
Feb 3, 2012, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
EDIT: as usual in the Mac App Store, the minimum/recommended specs make no sense. Minimum 2.4 GHz, but runs on Intel HD 3000? Certainly, my 8 core, 2.2 GHz i7 MBP can run this thing without a hiccup, right?
The full specs say 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo or faster, and a 2.2 GHz quadcore Sandy Bridge is (much) faster, so yes.

(It's not an 8-core, btw - it's a quad with HT, which is something very different. The only way to get an 8-core Mac today is a dual socket MP)
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 3, 2012, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
The full specs say 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo or faster, and a 2.2 GHz quadcore Sandy Bridge is (much) faster, so yes.
The Mac App Store says nothing about C2D, it just says "2.4 GHz CPU Speed." You and I know there more to speed than GHz, but lots of people don't.

Yes I know 8 virtual cores isn't the same as 8 real cores.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 3, 2012, 10:50 AM

Speaking of TMNT, rumour has it that Batman Arkham City creator Rocksteady's next game is TMNT. You may now commence hysterical screaming and joviality.
If they create a 4 player co-op version of Arkham, my jaw will drop.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 3, 2012, 11:44 AM

Some of Ubisoft's PC Games Won't Work Next Week. Not Even Singleplayer.
Next week, Ubisoft will be moving around some of its servers. What this means for those of you saddled with Ubisoft PC (and Mac!) games that have restrictive DRM is that, in some cases, your games won't work while the move takes place. At all.

PC games affected include Tom Clancy's HAWX 2, Might & Magic: Heroes 6 and The Settlers 7. Mac games similarly going all busted will be Assassin's Creed, Splinter Cell Conviction and The Settlers.

Those games above will be completely inaccessible while the move takes place. Worryingly, there's no ETA on how long the move will take place.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 3, 2012, 05:06 PM

Xbox 360 tops Wii and PS3 for 1st time in yearly global sales - GeekWire
Here’s the bigger news: The Xbox 360′s strong holiday quarter also put the Microsoft console ahead in worldwide sales globally for the full year of 2011, with 14.9 million units sold, compared with 14.1 million for the PS3 and 10.33 million for the Wii.
Crazy talk. I also think this is the first time the 360 widened the gap between itself and the PS3, even though this was the Year of the PS3 4.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 3, 2012, 08:53 PM

From that article:
On a cumulative basis, Nintendo is still the king of the current console generation, with 95 million Wiis sold worldwide, compared with 66 million Xbox 360 for Microsoft and 62 million Ps3s for Sony.

I had no idea the PS3 was only 4 million behind the xbox in world wide cumulative sales. I thought the gap would be bigger than that.

P
Feb 4, 2012, 08:10 AM

The Mac App Store says nothing about C2D, it just says "2.4 GHz CPU Speed." You and I know there more to speed than GHz, but lots of people don't.
If you click through to the Aspyr site, it shows the reqs I mentioned. If you mean that the Mac App Store info is not clear enough, then sure, you're right. I was just answering the question (for you and for anyone else who might be reading).

Yes I know 8 virtual cores isn't the same as 8 real cores.
How many virtual cores you have is a mostly pointless estimate of performance.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 6, 2012, 11:00 AM

PSA: PSN accounts changing to Sony Entertainment Network accounts Feb. 8 | Joystiq
As part of Sony's efforts to phase out the Qriocity brand and replace it with the all-encompassing Sony Entertainment Network, Sony will be phasing out the term "PlayStation Network account" and will instead be using "Sony Entertainment Network account," beginning next Wednesday, February 8.

Sony patented Wii U-esque controller, has pics to prove it | Joystiq

Report: XBLA prices rising (slowly), Summer of Arcade review scores dropping | Joystiq
XBLA Fans has done an exhaustive analysis of Xbox Live Arcade sales, Metacritic scores, and trends over the past few years in a four-part writeup. The most interesting finding in the article, in our estimation, is how the perception of rising prices squares with reality. Yes, there are more 1200 point ($15) games being released on the service as compared to previous years, but there are more 800 point ($10) games coming out as well, and there are more of those than $15 games. The average is rising overall, but it hasn't yet reached the 1200 point mark, even if that price is being assigned to some of the more high profile (and high quality) games on the service.
I saw the Simpson's Arcade game was $10. That thing is worth maybe a quarter that.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 6, 2012, 12:29 PM

Gamasutra - News - PS3 price reduction blamed for Sony Q3 losses

And to think a lot of people complained they didn't cut the price enough.

We're months away from a new gen starting (Assuming the WiiU even qualifies, specs-wise) and the PS3 is only $50 cheaper than what the PS2 debuted at, and we're four years into it's life-span.

The HD upgrade really wreaked havoc with the industry.
Truth in bold.

The value I've received from my PS3 ($400 at the time) has been incredible, but hindsight shows that Microsoft had the right idea for the time. If the console cycle had been 2-3 years later, when Blu-ray drives dropped significantly in price, we might've been looking at a closer fight, although Sony still wouldn't have matched XBL.

Originally Posted by KCrosbie View Post
The Simpsons Arcade coming this Friday to X-Box live for 800 M$ points

I have been waiting for this game since they released TMNT and X-Men. This was one of those games I remember back in the day where I dropped s $hitload of quarters on.
I never played this in the arcades, but it's free for PS+ users, so I'll be taking a gander at it this week.

Nostalgia is a funny thing. I'd personally be more excited for a G.I. Joe FPS or Uncharted-esque action shooter from a quality developer, but I'll take a good TMNT game.

Xbox 360 tops Wii and PS3 for 1st time in yearly global sales - GeekWire

Crazy talk. I also think this is the first time the 360 widened the gap between itself and the PS3, even though this was the Year of the PS3 4.
Uncharted 3, LBP2, Resistance 3, Killzone 3, Infamous 2, Team ICO Collection...

If any year was going to be the grand comeback for the Playstation brand, 2011 was it. It's disappointing to realize that it was far too late in the current generation to make the difference they'd hoped.

And since Sony is apparently not going to be releasing the PS4 alongside the 720, I doubt they've learned any lessons from this last round. I always wonder if Microsoft will falter for a generation, since the console wars have been a roller coaster affair, but it's not looking like it.

They really, really need to settle into a branding.

I was listening to a podcast in which they blamed the new focus on Kinect titles for the drop in Summer of Arcade scores, but wasn't Fruit Ninja the only Kinect title?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 6, 2012, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Truth in bold.
Its one reason people should brace themselves for less of a jump next gen. The companies just can't afford it, between trying manage hardware costs versus price-points and the insane development costs.

The value I've received from my PS3 ($400 at the time) has been incredible, but hindsight shows that Microsoft had the right idea for the time.
Technically, MS got it wrong, too. The question is, did the Wii win on price, gimmick, or brand?

If the console cycle had been 2-3 years later, when Blu-ray drives dropped significantly in price, we might've been looking at a closer fight, although Sony still wouldn't have matched XBL.
I'll disagree. Blu-Ray just wouldn't have the impact like DVD did in the PS2, regardless of price. It's benefits have only come to fruition the past two years, but that's four years after the console cycle started, which would practically be the end of it, were it normal. Even at this point, the benefits are a double-edged sword with the mandatory installs thanks to the slow drives.

And since Sony is apparently not going to be releasing the PS4 alongside the 720, I doubt they've learned any lessons from this last round. I always wonder if Microsoft will falter for a generation, since the console wars have been a roller coaster affair, but it's not looking like it.
Sony can't afford to release a PS4. Their machine is still to expensive now, let alone something with fresh tech. Any lessons they've learned have to be tempered by their finances.

Honestly, their best move would be to make a PS3.5 to compete with WiiU and 720. I mean, how good could the 720 be? And if it is, how costly will it be?

They really, really need to settle into a branding.
I wouldn't worry about it. First rebranding I can think of. God knows MS has rebranded their video service once or twice.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 7, 2012, 03:07 PM

Its one reason people should brace themselves for less of a jump next gen. The companies just can't afford it, between trying manage hardware costs versus price-points and the insane development costs.
Which begs the question: why push out another generation? They make more off of software sales than new hardware anyways.

Technically, MS got it wrong, too. The question is, did the Wii win on price, gimmick, or brand?
Maybe a little of each?

I'll disagree. Blu-Ray just wouldn't have the impact like DVD did in the PS2, regardless of price. It's benefits have only come to fruition the past two years, but that's four years after the console cycle started, which would practically be the end of it, were it normal. Even at this point, the benefits are a double-edged sword with the mandatory installs thanks to the slow drives.
I meant the affect of the Blu-ray drive on pricing. If I'm not mistaken, wasn't Sony losing money on every PS3 even when it was $600, because of the BR drive?

Sony can't afford to release a PS4. Their machine is still to expensive now, let alone something with fresh tech. Any lessons they've learned have to be tempered by their finances.
If the Vita is a catastrophe...

I don't like to think about it.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 7, 2012, 03:11 PM

Which begs the question: why push out another generation? They make more off of software sales than new hardware anyways.
Because some technological gains are better than no gains, and that's not factoring in the halo effect of fresh hardware, designs, or plain old hype.

Maybe a little of each?
Cop-out answer. One of those had to be the bigger factor. I still lean gimmick, followed by price-point.

I meant the affect of the Blu-ray drive on pricing. If I'm not mistaken, wasn't Sony losing money on every PS3 even when it was $600, because of the BR drive?
They're still losing money now, apparently. From what I understand the graphics card is about the only thing they managed to cheap out on.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 7, 2012, 03:44 PM

If the Vita is a catastrophe...

I don't like to think about it.
Sony: You Won't Be Able To Bring PSP Discs To Vita
Sony has told Kotaku that there will not be a North American version of the UMD Passport program, which would allow PlayStation Vita users to transfer their PSP discs to the upcoming handheld.

Sony debuted the UMD Passport program in Japan last December alongside the release of the Vita. Japanese gamers can insert their game discs into their PSPs, register them on their PlayStation Network accounts, and pay a small fee to re-download their games on the Vita.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 7, 2012, 04:31 PM

Way to kill your upgraders, Sony.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 7, 2012, 04:43 PM

Way to kill your upgraders, Sony.
You fanboys will buy anyway, right?
(Nothing like punishing your biggest supporters)

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 7, 2012, 04:52 PM

I still want a Vita (especially after trying one out at lunch today), but I'm waiting to see if they drop the price during the first 9 months.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 9, 2012, 11:26 AM

Rumor: Spark Unlimited producing sci-fi sequel, speculation says Battlefront 3 | Joystiq
Lifestyle's evidence includes a job opening at Spark listing "a 3rd Person Action/Adventure sequel in a high-profile science fiction franchise currently greenlit for full production development for Xbox 360, PS3 and PC markets;" a Spark employee's LinkedIn profile that describes a sword-fighting game for a well-known IP; and another that lists a triple-A third-person shooter that's been in development for three years.
I'll care when it hits store shelves. I still consider it's absence this this gen's biggest mystery, and hilariously, after the leak of Free Radical's tech demo, they have that to live up to.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 9, 2012, 05:00 PM

Arcade game luminaries see parallels in today's social, mobile games
With all these similarities, Blackley warned that today's mobile and social developers should watch that they don't follow the precise arc of the arcade industry. First, there was a period of novelty, when the sheer newness of arcade games made them interesting to wide swaths of players. Then players "develop this thing called taste [and] expect a quality product, not just any product," he said.

The arcade industry was slow to realize this desire for quality, glutting the market with repetitive and licensed products that exploited the audience. The end result was the massive crash of the mid-'80s, which decimated the entire video game business.
That's an interesting take. I feel like this is mirrored in the novelty of the Wii (See: Hardware sales)

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 9, 2012, 05:07 PM

Well....things are getting worse.

Sony Credit Rating Cut by S&P on Concerns About Earnings

Sony Corp., which widened its loss forecast for the current fiscal year, had its credit rating lowered one level by Standard & Poor’s because of falling prices, waning demand and rising competition.

The long-term ratings were lowered to “BBB+,” S&P’s third-lowest investment grade, from “A-,” the ratings company said in a statement today. The outlook was set at “negative,” reflecting a view that the ratings may be cut further in the absence of a sign of recovery in earnings, S&P said.

The announcement follows downgrades by Moody’s Investors Service and Fitch Ratings in the past two months on concern the Japanese electronics maker will have difficulty turning around its unprofitable television business. Last week, Sony more than doubled its annual loss forecast to 220 billion yen ($2.9 billion), blaming a stronger yen, production setbacks caused by floods in Thailand and the cost of exiting a display-panel venture with Samsung Electronics Co.
The PS4 will never happen.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 9, 2012, 05:09 PM

Weren't there reports at one time that Apple might have been interested in purchasing Sony?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 9, 2012, 05:10 PM

Who gives a shit? Seriously. These guys have been downgrading everybody. Nintendo got downgraded a while back, I believe. In the long run, this means nothing compared to their, you know, actual business moves.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 10, 2012, 12:11 PM

January NPD: Sales down without big launches, Skylanders a hit for accessories | Joystiq
Finally, despite that big drop in hardware sales, Microsoft's Aaron Greenberg points out that the Xbox 360 has remained the highest-selling console on the market, selling 270,000 units with a 49% market share.
Think about that.

Next Call of Duty will bring meaningful innovation, says Activision | Technology | guardian.co.uk
Activision Publishing chief Eric Hirshberg thinks not. During Thursday's phone call he promised that, "the next Call of Duty will bring meaningful innovation to the series."

Call of Duty Elite pulls in 7 million users, 1.5 million paid memberships | Joystiq
Nearly a month and half into the New Year and Clan Operations are currently being tested internally.

Sony: The Last Guardian is making "slow progress" • News • Eurogamer.net
Does it best the NextBox out?

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 10, 2012, 02:19 PM

Rumor has it that Treyarch will be adding Armor Lock and Jet Packs to the next COD game.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 10, 2012, 02:22 PM

They could add environmental damage (Editor's note: No, they couldn't), and they'd only reach parity with Battlefield. I wouldn't consider that "innovation."

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 10, 2012, 02:58 PM

Forget environmental damage, they should add a Portal weapon attachment. Imagine all the cross map knife kills you could perform.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 11, 2012, 02:32 PM

News and bull? As in Bullshit? Yeah thats about right.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 13, 2012, 02:01 PM

You don't think they're making it?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 13, 2012, 05:09 PM

It'll never come out. Ever.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 13, 2012, 05:11 PM

What's their issue with it?
Cult title with a rabid fanbase that isn't large enough to justify the cost?
They're Sony?

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 14, 2012, 05:19 AM

They're Sony?
Bullshit is their speciality.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 14, 2012, 10:03 AM

God damn it, that's not an answer. What do you think is happening?

P
Feb 14, 2012, 10:53 AM

Weren't there reports at one time that Apple might have been interested in purchasing Sony?
There are lots of reports from early Apple days that Jobs was a big fan, but that he later was disappointed in how they lost their way. I think that if he could have bought them in the eighties, he would have, but obviously they didn't have the money then. Now that they have the money, they don't want it.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 17, 2012, 10:38 AM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 17, 2012, 01:29 PM

Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 outed by Amazon - Report - GameSpot.com
The next Call of Duty game is apparently returning to the Cold War-era intrigue of 2010's Call of Duty: Black Ops. GameBlog reports that the French site of retail giant Amazon posted (and then pulled) a product page for Call of Duty: Black Ops 2.
While Activision didn't confirm the existence of Black Ops 2 directly, GameBlog followed up its story with a report that Activision France contacted the site to demand the news be pulled. GameBlog said it refused to do so, and Activision subsequently disinvited the site from a preview event for Transformers: Fall of Cybertron and cancelled advertising campaigns it had planned to run on the site.

Demonhood
Administrator
Feb 17, 2012, 03:00 PM

Ha, Gamespot used the word "outed". I wonder if the writer is the same who uses it on the MacNN front page ad nauseum.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 17, 2012, 04:51 PM

Irrefutably a very strong launch line-up. I'm curious as to what the CoD and Resistance titles are going to be like.

I never feel totally confident that these are really mistakes.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2012, 05:28 PM

Is anyone here actually going to buy Black Ops 2?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 17, 2012, 08:34 PM

Prooooobably not.
Maybe.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 17, 2012, 09:45 PM

I think MW3 was my last COD game.

In other news...

Forces of Nature DLC for Gears 3 to launch March 27.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Feb 18, 2012, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
Is anyone here actually going to buy Black Ops 2?
Two words... HALO 4.

MacBook Pro

Forum Links
Forum Rules