Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Gaming News & Discussion

Gaming News & Discussion (Page 67)
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 31, 2013, 11:45 AM

Players can’t export PS4 gameplay clips directly to a PC

While this feature is being promised for a future update, it will be missing at launch. Combined with the lack of an external HDMI-capture solution until another future update means it’s going to be hard to get video off of the PS4 in a form that’s of much use to YouTubers and others who need it at launch.
Not a big deal, but a small disappointment.

Edit: My biggest thing is I'd like IR functionality so can use my home system remote, just like I do with my 360.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 31, 2013, 12:09 PM

Sony rubbing things in

P
Oct 31, 2013, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
PS4: The Ultimate FAQ – North America – PlayStation.Blog

This news is pretty bad. I primarily use my PS3 as a media playback device..... this is pretty much a deal breaker for me as the other features of the box (gaming) are secondary.
There are so many other possible media playback devices. The AppleTV is actually really good, at least if you have a Mac and/or iOS device, but the easiest choice for you is probably to keep that PS3 around.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 31, 2013, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
There are so many other possible media playback devices. The AppleTV is actually really good, at least if you have a Mac and/or iOS device, but the easiest choice for you is probably to keep that PS3 around.
I can certainly sympathize with not wanting an extra device. I'd take an AppleTv over a PS3 for integration and remote, but I wouldn't be surprised if the PS3 had broader ability.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 1, 2013, 12:39 PM

People just have no mercy

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 1, 2013, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
You're on a mac forum. Bite the bullet and get an apple tv. (That's my back-up plan).
But how do you play all of your audio CDs on the AppleTV?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 1, 2013, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
...shit.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2013, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
You load them into iTunes like a normal person.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 1, 2013, 02:18 PM

Swapnote neutering raises Nintendo’s online paternalism to new heights | Ars Technica

Nintendo's history of slowness in enabling online features is a result of the company's legitimate fear of children being able to send and receive messages from strangers. However, Nintendo's paternalistic take on online communications reached silly new heights last night when the company cut off a 3DS feature that allowed for communication between friends that have explicitly approved each other.

Up until yesterday, Swapnote was a cute little 3DS feature that allowed players to send picture messages and photos to friends, provided both sender and recipient had already exchanged those annoying 12-digit friend codes. But in a message posted to Nintendo.com, the company explains that it "has learned that some consumers, including minors, have been exchanging their friend codes on Internet bulletin boards and then using Swapnote (known as Nintendo Letter Box in other regions) to exchange offensive material."
Between this one of Nintendo's people saying expect an online Mario next gen, I really don't see a bright future for them. They'll survive somehow, but their reign is over.

is not
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 1, 2013, 03:38 PM

is not
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 1, 2013, 03:50 PM

Coming from Max Planck Institute for Human Development, Berlin

Research | Research news | 2013 | How video gaming can be beneficial for the brain

Video gaming is a highly pervasive activity, providing a multitude of complex cognitive and motor demands. Gaming can be seen as an intense training of several skills. Associated cerebral structural plasticity induced has not been investigated so far. Comparing a control with a video gaming training group that was trained for 2 months for at least 30 min per day with a platformer game, we found significant gray matter (GM) increase in right hippocampal formation (HC), right dorsolateral prefrontal cortex (DLPFC) and bilateral cerebellum in the training group. The HC increase correlated with changes from egocentric to allocentric navigation strategy. GM increases in HC and DLPFC correlated with participants’ desire for video gaming, evidence suggesting a predictive role of desire in volume change. Video game training augments GM in brain areas crucial for spatial navigation, strategic planning, working memory and motor performance going along with evidence for behavioral changes of navigation strategy. The presented video game training could therefore be used to counteract known risk factors for mental disease such as smaller hippocampus and prefrontal cortex volume in, for example, post-traumatic stress disorder, schizophrenia and neurodegenerative disease.

And this increase from playing Mario for 2 months? Imagine playing for 20 years

So, Is Mario better than all of the shooters games combined?
Yes, obviously. This is scientific fact.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2013, 05:09 PM

Really cool article, thanks for sharing.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 2, 2013, 06:02 PM

I picked up Killzone and a DualShock 4 controller at GameStop yesterday.

The DS4 is a thousand times better. If it wasn't horribly embarrassing, I might admit to sitting on my couch and fiddling with the controller for 15 minutes in mock gameplay. Good thing I didn't do it.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 3, 2013, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by is not View Post

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 4, 2013, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by is not View Post
I assume this is tongue in cheek, because I didn't see any mention of FPS' in that study.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 4, 2013, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I picked up Killzone and a DualShock 4 controller at GameStop yesterday.

The DS4 is a thousand times better. If it wasn't horribly embarrassing, I might admit to sitting on my couch and fiddling with the controller for 15 minutes in mock gameplay. Good thing I didn't do it.
How would you compare it to the 360 controller in terms of weight and grip?

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 4, 2013, 03:59 PM

And robustness. I need to know how many times I can throw it at the wall before having to get another one.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 4, 2013, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
And robustness. I need to know how many times I can throw it at the wall before having to get another one.
The controller is lighter than the 360's, but the build quality is superb. I read that the touchpad felt rickety, but this isn't my impression at all. It's typical Sony hardware.

The grips are the hardest bit to describe. They're not like the 360 controller, but they're the most substantial improvement (other than the R2/L2 triggers). My hands fit perfectly, and they're not going anyways. I always felt the 360 controller's grips were too fat at the top. The curvature of the grips on the DS4 are prefect for my hands, but I have relatively small hands for a guy my height.

The sticks have been rumored to be tighter (a demand from the FPS crowd), and I can definitely confirm it. I've been switching between it, the DS3, and 360 controller just to compare the ergonomics, and it falls somewhere in between, though it still feels like a PlayStation controller.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 5, 2013, 11:20 AM

The sticks have been rumored to be tighter (a demand from the FPS crowd), and I can definitely confirm it. I've been switching between it, the DS3, and 360 controller just to compare the ergonomics, and it falls somewhere in between, though it still feels like a PlayStation controller.
I read about that, but I definitely couldn't say that I ever noticed stick "tightness". I wonder if it had anything to do with PS3 players being considered inferior to 360 players in games such as CoD and BF3, but that would mean they didn't find the XBOX controller easier, or 360 users found the PS3 controller harder to use.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 5, 2013, 02:50 PM

I just read GT6 will have a course maker feature that will allow you to drive a route with a GPS app and then upload it to the game. HNNNNNNNNNG

ajprice
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2013, 04:09 PM

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

P
Nov 5, 2013, 05:03 PM

I read about that, but I definitely couldn't say that I ever noticed stick "tightness". I wonder if it had anything to do with PS3 players being considered inferior to 360 players in games such as CoD and BF3, but that would mean they didn't find the XBOX controller easier, or 360 users found the PS3 controller harder to use.
If you look back a few pages, you'll see the design breakdown of the PS4 controller. Apparently the DS2 sticks were quite stiff, and the GT developers complained about how that hurt racing games. For the PS3, they made them much looser, and lost the shooter fans in the process. This time they're trying to find some common ground in the middle between PS2 and PS3 sticks.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 5, 2013, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
If you look back a few pages, you'll see the design breakdown of the PS4 controller. Apparently the DS2 sticks were quite stiff, and the GT developers complained about how that hurt racing games. For the PS3, they made them much looser, and lost the shooter fans in the process. This time they're trying to find some common ground in the middle between PS2 and PS3 sticks.
I do recall that from reading the article, but a technical analysis vs. one from a gamer, and one I've gamed with, are two different things to me.

I mean, for all my rubbing the salt in the Xbone54 wounds about the PS4s 1080p superiority, I can't say I've ever been in a situation where I could even identify such. Until I see it, it's somewhat abstract.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Nov 6, 2013, 08:18 AM

I just read GT6 will have a course maker feature that will allow you to drive a route with a GPS app and then upload it to the game. HNNNNNNNNNG
That is an interesting one, maybe I won't hold off GT6 then.
Gran Turismo 6's GPS Will Let You Drive Your Favorite Real-Life Routes

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 6, 2013, 11:18 AM

Ghosts reuses the same cut-scene from MW2.
Call of Duty: Ghosts Copy & Paste Modern Warfare 2 Ending - YouTube

Someone shutter this studio already.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 6, 2013, 11:35 AM

Ghosts reuses the same cut-scene from MW2.
Call of Duty: Ghosts Copy & Paste Modern Warfare 2 Ending - YouTube

Someone shutter this studio already.
Inexcusable.

On a different note...

PS4: 40,000 Hairs

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2013, 01:06 PM

Getting some confusing info on the external storage question on the PS4; was wondering if someone could clarify?

Some sites/commenters are reporting that external storage will not be supported for game installs and save data, etc. But the ability to have your media on an external drive will/can be supported? or continue to work the way it did with the PS3. Apparently the day one patch will enable MP3 playback? Anyone know what 'external storage support' actually means in the context of the PS4?

Cheers

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 6, 2013, 01:11 PM

SOme type of XBOX embargo ended at noon today and the internets is flooding with content.

This is a screenshot from an actual XBOX One game:

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 6, 2013, 01:25 PM

I have to say, I really like the xbone54 headset. I haven't made fun of PS4s headset, mostly because I was planning on a wireless solution, but if it shipped with that I wouldn't even think twice about it.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 6, 2013, 01:29 PM

Dead Rising 3 has some fairly serious framerate issues: (Joystiq) Dead Rising 3 and the Stuttering Car Conundrum.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 6, 2013, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Getting some confusing info on the external storage question on the PS4; was wondering if someone could clarify?

Some sites/commenters are reporting that external storage will not be supported for game installs and save data, etc. But the ability to have your media on an external drive will/can be supported? or continue to work the way it did with the PS3. Apparently the day one patch will enable MP3 playback? Anyone know what 'external storage support' actually means in the context of the PS4?

Cheers
I did some looking around, and I couldn't find anything conclusive.

Yes, the PlayStation 4 Supports External Storage, but There’s a Catch | TIME.com

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 6, 2013, 01:58 PM

Games journalism is a fun industry.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2013, 02:21 PM

I did some looking around, and I couldn't find anything conclusive.

Yes, the PlayStation 4 Supports External Storage, but There’s a Catch | TIME.com
That's the article i was reading as well. I guess i'll have to just wait and see. 8 more days i guess.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2013, 04:28 PM

On a different note...

PS4: 40,000 Hairs
Awesome. Thanks for that. *readies bat*

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 8, 2013, 11:02 AM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 8, 2013, 05:08 PM

For the first time in six years, a Call of Duty title has failed to outsell its predecessor. Have we hit peak CoD, or has GTA and/or the impending next-gen console launch just put a damper on the sales juggernaut?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 9, 2013, 01:53 AM

Saw that. I still really, really, really hate the idea of using the Kinect for anything.

I understand the reasoning, and I hate to be the old codger here, but why can't we just watch a show without distraction for the simple enjoyment of it? No forced social features attached, no achievements, nothing of the sort.

For the first time in six years, a Call of Duty title has failed to outsell its predecessor. Have we hit peak CoD, or has GTA and/or the impending next-gen console launch just put a damper on the sales juggernaut?
It has to happen sometime, I suppose. We'll see what it looks like a month after the launches. Judging by the initial reviews, the gaming media seems to be lukewarm, so I'm sure customers are going to echo that sentiment.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 9, 2013, 03:39 PM

From what I'm reading the maps are an even bigger cluster**** than previous CoDs, which simply seems impossible to me at this point.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 9, 2013, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
From what I'm reading the maps are an even bigger cluster**** than previous CoDs, which simply seems impossible to me at this point.
I watched a YouTube video that shows how quickly people die in CoD on Ghosts. It seemed to take around half as much time to drop opposing players.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2013, 04:14 PM

It has to happen sometime, I suppose. We'll see what it looks like a month after the launches. Judging by the initial reviews, the gaming media seems to be lukewarm, so I'm sure customers are going to echo that sentiment.
We are also on the eve of two new platforms so the sales are going to be slower in this situation. Once all platforms have been in the wild for a little while I think will give a more accurate picture.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 9, 2013, 04:22 PM

So Target shipped someone an Xbox One already? [Update: console-banned until launch] - NeoGAF

Someone (multiple people?) got an XBOX One sent to them early. All sorts of stuff happened, culminating in MS blocking from going on Live, of course. Most of the impressions were positive, with the exceptions of fast switching making the guy return to Ghosts after 20 minutes and the console PVR making choppy recordings.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 9, 2013, 04:28 PM

Saw that. Major Nelson reached out to the most-covered user and told him he'd take care of it.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 9, 2013, 04:30 PM

Someone at NeoGAF was kind enough to make a better summary thread: Closer look at the Xbox One from a user who got the console early - NeoGAF

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 11, 2013, 11:31 AM

UK chart: COD Ghosts top, more copies sold on PS4 than Wii U • News • PlayStation 4 • Eurogamer.net
Annual Activision bullet-fest Call of Duty: Ghosts has zipped straight to the top of the UK all-formats chart.

62 per cent of sales were recorded on Xbox 360, 34 per cent on PlayStation 3 and 3 per cent on PS4, even though the copies won't be playable for another three weeks.

Wii U and physical PC sales counted for less than a single per cent of the game's total.
That's right, Ghosts sold more on a system that isn't out yet than on the Wii U. (Dat hardcore audience)

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 11, 2013, 12:34 PM

Me, waiting out the last week and a half on my PS4:

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2013, 01:22 PM

UK chart: COD Ghosts top, more copies sold on PS4 than Wii U • News • PlayStation 4 • Eurogamer.net

That's right, Ghosts sold more on a system that isn't out yet than on the Wii U. (Dat hardcore audience)
Where's the xBone54 numbers?

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 11, 2013, 01:29 PM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 11, 2013, 02:31 PM

Two things:

It's been confirmed that the Xbox One is essentially a brick out of the box. If it doesn't detect an internet connection, it won't even start up. You can't even listen to your CDs!

Also, someone at MS thought it was time to redesign the wheel

WHY

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 11, 2013, 03:06 PM

Also, someone at MS thought it was time to redesign the wheel

WHY
As much as 90% of the population is right-handed, which is why the disc being switched to the left side MAKES NO FREAKING SENSE.

I swear, it seems like they're doing almost nothing right this generation, except Titanfall exclusivity.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 11, 2013, 03:09 PM

As much as 90% of the population is right-handed, which is why the disc being switched to the left side MAKES NO FREAKING SENSE.

I swear, it seems like they're doing almost nothing right this generation, except Titanfall exclusivity.
Well they didn't screw up their controller either. That's shouldn't be a worry, but in the face of everything else, yeah, good on them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules