Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Gaming News & Discussion

Gaming News & Discussion (Page 71)
Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2013, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Ryse seems to be getting poor to middling reviews.
To be fair, the presentation is amazing. Quite possibly the best looking game i've seen for this 'new gen'.

The gameplay however is another issue altogether according to reviewers,

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 21, 2013, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
To be fair, the presentation is amazing. Quite possibly the best looking game i've seen for this 'new gen'.

The gameplay however is another issue altogether according to reviewers,
That's somewhat the point. MS commissioned Crytek to deliver next gen visuals and they forgot to include a game along the way.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 21, 2013, 02:41 PM

GameStop Says 2.3 Million Customers Waiting for PS4 - Bloomberg
GameStop Corp. (GME), the largest specialty retailer of video games, said its initial allocation of Sony Corp. (6758) PlayStation 4 consoles sold out and that 2.3 million customers are waiting for the devices.
What?!

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 21, 2013, 02:49 PM

Ah, PSN. 30 minutes for a 300 MB update.

Edit: Up to 40. Should have planned ahead, I guess
Wow... It took me about 5 minutes to download and install.

LOL...

If consumers do embrace the Xbox One, they will have to put it down pretty quickly: it is extremely big and heavy.
Ryse seems to be getting poor to middling reviews.
This was completely predictable, wasn't it?

From last night:

Battlefield 4
- I logged on too late and joined Dakar for the latter half of a match before he had to split. Right before he logged off, he pointed out how the map we were on was highly destructible. I went from ducking through alleys and playing hide-and-seek with snipers on rooftops to running around and atop piles of rubble. Really, really cool.
- I tried forever to join a 64-player Domination server, but it continually crashed. We would start off, I'd hop into a tank, and then we'd be kicked back to the loading screen, over and over again.
- The 60 FPS makes a massive difference in the overall experience. Smooth and buttery.

Killzone: Shadow Fall
- I only played one match of multiplayer, but I logged about an hour into the single-player.
- The game is gorgeous. No doubt about it. This is what a next-gen title should look like.
- The handling and shooting is good, but the game often doesn't give you any directions about where to proceed. Too much hand-holding is a problem, but Shadow Fall goes too far on the other end of the spectrum. It kept telling me to hack an alarm system, but I couldn't find one after searching through the forest and dying for 15 minutes straight as reinforcements swarmed the area. I finally rage quit, and this is in my first game session. Not a good sign, but I was incredibly tired.

FIFA 14
- I know I'm probably the only guy here that cares about the game, but there's one detail pertinent to the rest of the 'NN crew: the animation is light years beyond the PS3/360 games. The way the ball spins across the grass, the way players stop, turn, and build momentum whether on the ground or the air is mesmerizing. I had one play where I crossed a pass into the box, and the way the recipient loaded his jump, launched into the air (jersey streaming throughout), and adjusted his body to compensate for the mistimed leap was so realistic that I watched the replay over and over. Beautiful.

Resogun
- Still my favorite experience so far, which might be sad because it's a "free" game, but there's just something about the challenge and the structure of the experience.
- I couldn't place why the graphics looked so different, but after listening to an IGN podcast, I realized that the game is rendered using voxels instead of polygons. It's definitely unique.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 21, 2013, 02:52 PM

Hooooly crap.

I just hope Sony can push out these units before Christmas.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 21, 2013, 02:59 PM

I can't believe that number. Either its not GS exclusive or its not strictly reservations.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 21, 2013, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Wow... It took me about 5 minutes to download and install.
It sped up to 20 min in the end, but still. I'm pretty sure it clocks my connection at better than that.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 21, 2013, 03:06 PM

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 22, 2013, 08:54 AM

Can't see your pic at work Dakar, but the title isn't the same as the link : GameStop Says 2.3 Million Waiting for New Game Consoles

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 22, 2013, 10:23 AM

Monday and Tuesday I was able to play Rush 32 BF4, but the past two days the servers have been dying shortly after I join. Yesterday evening there was a small furor brewing that the XBOX One streams were showing journalists playing 64 player games. This morning I'm hearing Conquest 64 is up and running on the PS4s. No word on other game types or the server browser.

I'm not a believer in conspiracy theories, but the timing is infuriating. Waiting to see how bad the X1 players have it.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 22, 2013, 11:42 AM

No big hardware problems with the X1 yet, though there are some reports of it chewing up discs. Right now one of the big differences between the two seems to be installation speed.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 22, 2013, 12:09 PM

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 22, 2013, 12:32 PM

Does anyone have any idea about the stock cycle for the PS4? Sony's site links to amazon, BestBuy and GameStop and they have been 'sold out' for the whole week now. What stores apart from those three stock the console?

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 22, 2013, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Can't see your pic at work Dakar, but the title isn't the same as the link : GameStop Says 2.3 Million Waiting for New Game Consoles
GameStop: 2.3 million have registered interest in PS4 supplies [Updated] | Ars Technica

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 22, 2013, 04:30 PM

Plenty of X1s at target, everyone

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 22, 2013, 04:34 PM

You know its one thing EA to shit the bed (and shitty at that), but when you're providing web services as part of your main business, serving other businesses, what the **** is wrong with you. You know how many XBOXs you produced, get to it!

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 22, 2013, 06:07 PM

Plenty of X1s at target, everyone
Ha! I stopped by my local Target during my lunch break to see if any PS4s have come in yet. There were none. However, there were still a few xbones sitting on the shelves.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 22, 2013, 06:52 PM

I guess you get to watch me play tonight, then

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 22, 2013, 11:18 PM

Xbox One is Biggest Launch in Xbox History: More Than One Million Consoles Sold in less than 24 hours

Following a worldwide celebration, Xbox One launched in 13 markets yesterday to great fanfare. The team is excited to confirm the launch of Xbox One was the biggest launch in Xbox history, with more than one million consoles sold through worldwide in less than 24 hours – surpassing day one Xbox 360 sales and setting a new record for Microsoft.
I was figuring we'd get the same number only worldwide. Consoles ain't dead yet.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 22, 2013, 11:55 PM

Streaming some possible GAF ownage.

Twitch.tv/nilszero

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 23, 2013, 05:56 PM

Finally got to play with 63 other guys. Really cool. Huge maps.

I can't remember the name of the one with the Goldeneye-esque (move, not game) satellite bowl, but it's a sniper-fest.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 23, 2013, 10:46 PM

Streaming again, solo

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 23, 2013, 11:01 PM

I think the PS4 servers just crashed

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 24, 2013, 06:37 AM

Finally got to play with 63 other guys. Really cool. Huge maps.
Enough vehicles or were you on foot most of the time? How was performance?

ajprice
Professional Poster
Nov 24, 2013, 11:10 AM

If anyone who got an Xbox One also has a Logitech Harmony remote then there is good news Xbox One can be controlled with Logitech Harmony remotes | Joystiq

Mine is set up and working. In the menu screens at least, I haven't tried it with any media playing stuff yet.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 24, 2013, 12:32 PM

Just spent the last few hours playing with the Xbox ONE at a mate's.

Quiet. Really quiet.
Controller is nice in the hand, nice to use.
UI is a cluster****, too much on the screen. Didn't seem intuitive either.
Forza is gorgeous, but its the same tracks as Forza 4. More detail but still.
Ryse is gorgeous. Only played a bit (acceptable for a turd person game). Can't comment on the story long term but hacking and slashing was fun.
BF4 is gorgeous. Played a bit of the solo. Would really like to see a side by side with the PS4 version to see what differences there are.
Kinect voice commands didn't work. Kinect recognised my mate no problem.
Blue Ray doesn't work.
Shared videos are full of 10 seconds clips of dung.
Can't see what storage is left on the HDD.

Still not sure which to get. My mate keeps on saying that he trusts MS more than Sony, that the x-platform games are better on the Xbox.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Nov 24, 2013, 12:56 PM

Blue Ray doesn't work.
Any reasoning? What type of problem?
I've watched two BluRays on my X1 already and both worked and looked perfect

ajprice
Professional Poster
Nov 24, 2013, 01:20 PM

mattyb, have you installed the Blu ray app?

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2013, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
mattyb, have you installed the Blu ray app?

ajprice
Professional Poster
Nov 24, 2013, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post
?? The BR app isn't installed out of the box, it won't play a movie disc unless it's installed.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 25, 2013, 07:50 AM

Dunno if my mate installed it. He was going on about how long it took to install the games that he got with it and the system update. Does seem a bit dumb that you cannot play Blue Rays without downloading an app though.

He mentioned something about your gamer score, that you couldn't add to it by playing on the 360? Or did I misunderstand?

P
Nov 25, 2013, 09:50 AM

Dunno if my mate installed it. He was going on about how long it took to install the games that he got with it and the system update. Does seem a bit dumb that you cannot play Blue Rays without downloading an app though.
This is for licensing. MS has to pay a per-user licensing fee to use all the various features of Bluray, and by making it tied to an app download, they don't have to pay for all the people who get an Xbox One and never use it to watch a Bluray movie.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 25, 2013, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
This is for licensing. MS has to pay a per-user licensing fee to use all the various features of Bluray, and by making it tied to an app download, they don't have to pay for all the people who get an Xbox One and never use it to watch a Bluray movie.
So they haven't paid a license for the Blue Ray player itself?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 25, 2013, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
That would have been my guess. Include $200+ kinect, cheap out on blu-ray license.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 25, 2013, 12:37 PM

So I was surprised to read comments on NeoGAF complaining about the X1 UI. Apparently rather than copy and polish the 360 UI it sounds like they decided to reinvent the wheel. Talk about it being a pain to make parties, the friends list being buried, I even heard one person mention that you can't enable auto-login without kinect. If our X1 early adopters want to start a mirror thread to the PS4 one for X1 discussion, i'm all ears.

P
Nov 25, 2013, 12:50 PM

So they haven't paid a license for the Blue Ray player itself?
Bluray licensing is not simple. You can get a BD-ROM player for reading and writing data, if you like, and there are likely some patent licenses involved there as well, but there is a whole other bag of hurt connected to the actual video player. You have to license the three codecs H.264, MPEG-2 and VC-1 (the fact that the video player can play H.264 from Youtube or whatever doesn't count, as Bluray requires support for all of Hi Profile, and anyway the licensing is different for streamed media and media on a disc), you have to license the Java menu stuff, and beyond all else, you have to get a license to decode AACS and BD+ DRMs. These things cost money.

Google's little posturing over WebM is sometimes portrayed as getting us free H.264. That's not quite true. H.264 licensing included a per-stream fee for streaming video, but with a five year exception. All that the back and forth lead to was that the five year exception became extended, eventually to infinity, but all the costs for making an encoder and decoder are still there. There are multiple profiles so they can nickel and dime you for every feature you need. Apple and MS have decided to ship a decoder with the basic features with each copy of their OSes, and Cisco has recently decided to do the same for everyone - there is a max cost per year, so these companies just bite down and pay that cost - but I don't think that these decoders are fully licensed for Hi Profile.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 25, 2013, 01:03 PM

Enough vehicles or were you on foot most of the time? How was performance?
There were a ton of vehicles. I spent very little time on foot.

Performance was really good, except for a familiar BF problem: the sound kept going out.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 25, 2013, 01:18 PM

There were a ton of vehicles. I spent very little time on foot.
Dammit, this is making the decision harder and harder. Unlike Dakar and sek, I'll never get the k/d at a decent level, but blasting around in vehicles capturing flags, repairing, setting mines etc was such fun in BF3.

Performance was really good, except for a familiar BF problem: the sound kept going out.
No sound or late sound? I can remember being near to a tank when it blew up in BF3 and the sound would reach me 4 or 5 seconds later.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 25, 2013, 01:25 PM

Dammit, this is making the decision harder and harder. Unlike Dakar and sek, I'll never get the k/d at a decent level, but blasting around in vehicles capturing flags, repairing, setting mines etc was such fun in BF3.
What's the decision? Wether it'll be fun? I'll answer any questions you have (In the BF4 thread)

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 25, 2013, 01:26 PM

What's the decision? Wether it'll be fun? I'll answer any questions you have (In the BF4 thread)
No, PS4 or Xbox ONE. Deffo getting BF4.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 25, 2013, 01:29 PM

I've never held an impressive k/d either, but it doesn't bother me too much. I've noticed the jeeps are flying around a little more like Warthogs, too.

No sound or late sound? I can remember being near to a tank when it blew up in BF3 and the sound would reach me 4 or 5 seconds later.
Not late, but about 80% of the sounds stop coming through. I stopped hearing gunfire, shouting, footsteps, vehicles, etc. The only sound coming through would be artillery blasts. And no, it wasn't when I barely missed getting blown to smithereens — it lasted several minutes.

I ran into this with BF3 a handful of times too. It's only happened once so far, but it was the 64-player match. I'm not sure if there's a correlation. Regardless, that many players on one map is so much fun. It's strange going to the scoreboard and having to scroll down to find yourself.

That reminds me: I was really annoyed that checking the scoreboard seemed to be a three-click process by clicking Options, down once, and then X to check the score. But then my friend informed me that you just hold down the Options button for a fraction of a second longer. Problem solved.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 25, 2013, 01:51 PM

No, PS4 or Xbox ONE. Deffo getting BF4.
Oh boy. The eternal question. I would think the answer is the same as last gen at this point: Whichever your friends are on.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 25, 2013, 03:49 PM

I have no friends. Any reason not to go PC?

This generation of consoles seem very weak to me. I want 60hz 4K.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 25, 2013, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I have no friends. Any reason not to go PC?

This generation of consoles seem very weak to me. I want 60hz 4K.
You sound like you were never a console gamer.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 25, 2013, 04:09 PM

Oh, FFS. Do we have to do this again?

My console cred:

Intellivision
Colecovision with 2600 adapter
NES
Genesis with CD and 32x
****ing Saturn
PS1
Dreamcast (best console evar)
PS2
xBox
xBox 360
PS3

I've never been a PC gamer.

Edit: I've suffered through Mac ports in the long past, but I don't think that counts.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 25, 2013, 04:13 PM

Oh, FFS. Do we have to do this again?
Apparently so!

I've never been a PC gamer.
Well, if you're unwowed and have no gaming friends I don't feel the need to talk anyone into a console, much less someone who seems concerned with graphics primarily. You're general attitude reeks of don't bother.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 25, 2013, 04:20 PM

My attitude reeks of "this is the way it seems to me". The point of asking is to see if there's anything I missed.

Jeebus. I even resisted saying "PC master race".

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 25, 2013, 04:20 PM

Also, poor Nintendo didn't get the GameCube or Wii mentioned even though I have them.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 25, 2013, 04:22 PM

Well, I feel like last gen didn't offer anything new that PC gamers didn't already have – HD graphics and online play.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 25, 2013, 04:37 PM

If you put it that way (which isn't necessarily wrong), I think what's changed is everything around the consoles. I still had SDTV and cable when the last generation started. Also, physical media was a thing. Now I have HDTV, which is getting long in the tooth, no cable, and no physical media. The one device plugged into my TV I actually use is a Mac Mini.

The girlfriend angle probably figures into that too. I used to need systems a muggle could use. Now, not so much.

Forum Links
Forum Rules