Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Gaming News & Discussion

Gaming News & Discussion (Page 72)
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 25, 2013, 04:44 PM

The obvious answer is a Wii U

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 25, 2013, 04:47 PM

Which is the same joke you made last time you forced me to lay out my console dick on the slab.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 25, 2013, 04:55 PM

I think we need a divorce

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 25, 2013, 05:00 PM

Don't get me wrong. As a (former?) console gamer, it's kind of a drag not being swept up in console hype, but it was playing Skyrim which made me think I'm really doing the game a disservice by not putting it on beastly GPUs.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 25, 2013, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I think we need a divorce
You'd have to clear that with Chongo.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 25, 2013, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Don't get me wrong. As a (former?) console gamer, it's kind of a drag not being swept up in console hype, but it was playing Skyrim which made me think I'm really doing the game a disservice by not putting it on beastly GPUs.
Funny, it was last gens hype that passed me by. By the end of the PS2 era I was flat-out bored. After 6 years with the 360, with the last two demonstrating how much past its limits it was, I was very excited to upgrade.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 25, 2013, 05:16 PM

Funny, it was last gens hype that passed me by. By the end of the PS2 era I was flat-out bored. After 6 years with the 360, with the last two demonstrating how much past its limits it was, I was very excited to upgrade.
What keeps you away from a PC? Price?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 25, 2013, 05:19 PM

What keeps you away from a PC? Price?
Mouse and keyboard, gaming at a desk, tediousness of drivers

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 25, 2013, 05:24 PM

Mouse and keyboard, gaming at a desk, tediousness of drivers
I feel you in the desk department. Gaming should be on the couch.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 25, 2013, 05:35 PM

I love unintended human creativity - Twitch cracks down on inappropriate PS4 streamers | Ars Technica

Most of the problematic content involves The Playroom, a pre-installed PS4 app that lets PlayStation Camera owners broadcast a full-screen image of their entire living room, complete with robotic companions wandering about. Some users took advantage of this unexpected feature to great effect, hosting an impromptu call-in show that attracted hundreds of thousands of viewers. Others used it to broadcast footage of an unconscious strip show (somewhat NSFW) and other inappropriate content.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 25, 2013, 05:40 PM

Jawbone, how does it feel to be so much better than me at a game (Resogun)?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 25, 2013, 05:49 PM

Intellivision
Colecovision with 2600 adapter
NES
Genesis with CD and 32x
****ing Saturn
PS1
Dreamcast (best console evar)
PS2
xBox
xBox 360
PS3

I've never been a PC gamer.
Nor do you sound like a PC gamer.

The upkeep on a PC is a stumbling block if you plan on making sure it runs future games like BF4 on high settings. Also, as you guys mentioned, gaming at a desk sucks.

Last generation made me consider going the PC route a few times, but then I fell in love with the Uncharted and Infamous series and realized I didn't want to miss out on whatever Sony had in store.

Get a PS4.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 25, 2013, 05:51 PM

Jawbone, how does it feel to be so much better than me at a game (Resogun)?
It felt good until I sucked it up on co-op.

Which reminds me, I really enjoyed it, even though I'm still not used to anything floating around me actually being a teammate, which is why I tried to kill you several times.

I don't remember seeing you comment on the game. Enjoying it?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 25, 2013, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
It felt good until I sucked it up on co-op.

Which reminds me, I really enjoyed it, even though I'm still not used to anything floating around me actually being a teammate, which is why I tried to kill you several times.

I don't remember seeing you comment on the game. Enjoying it?
It's alright. I'm terrible at those types of games. Even without the human meta-game I'd have a hard time living (as evidenced by your soloing two of the end bosses). The game is pretty, but I find it unconvincing its a next-gen title.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 26, 2013, 08:34 AM

The girlfriend angle probably figures into that too. I used to need systems a muggle could use. Now, not so much.
Dobby?

P
Nov 26, 2013, 11:20 AM

The upkeep on a PC is a stumbling block if you plan on making sure it runs future games like BF4 on high settings. Also, as you guys mentioned, gaming at a desk sucks.
That is nowhere near as expensive as it used to be. I retired my 2006 midrange Core 2 Duo earlier this year when it refused to boot. I have bought new GPUs for it two times (the last of which I carried over to the next build), and I've always bought cards in the $150-200 range. Right now, something like a Radeon 270 is enough to game comfortably at 1080p, and that card is about $180. For $300 you get a 280X, which is enough for 2560p at Ultra or whatever the highest res is (nVidia has the GTX 770 at $330 if you have to go with a green solution). The days of upgrading every single generation are far behind us - you have big time gamers upgrading from something like a 5870 now, and that's a four year old card.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 26, 2013, 11:38 AM

Forgot to post this - What happens when free-to-play games aren't free? • Opinions • Eurogamer.net

More recently there's been another dirty phrase often recounted with curled lips: free-to-play. For a long while it's been a byword for fleecing players and questionable business ethics masquerading as game design - but as the success of the likes of League of Legends, Planetside 2, World of Tanks and the retooling of Team Fortress 2 suggest, it's a system that can work for player and developer alike.
There are aspects of free-to-play design in the bulk of the Xbox One's launch titles: Ryse has microtransactions that aid progress in its multiplayer mode, while Crimson Dragon's single-player path can also be given a little helping hand by buying in-game currency with real-world money. Elsewhere, Forza Motorsport 5 allows you to boost the rate at which you gain XP for a little extra cost, or to spend money to fast-track your way to a higher end motor. They're all systems proven in the world of free-to-play, but there's a problem: none of these games are free.
In Forza Motorsport 5, the problem runs deeper - the economy that's the backbone of the series has been altered, and it's too easy to come to the conclusion the changes have been made to make way for microtransactions. Unlike in older Forza games, cars aren't offered as rewards for success: instead, the only option is to buy them in a grind that can be augmented by pumping in real-world money.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Nov 26, 2013, 12:56 PM

The first non-Valve Steam Box Machine, release in 2014 with any other Valve or non-Valve boxes.

iBuyPower's Steam Machine offers PC specs for the price of a new Xbox | The Verge

Case size inbetween the Xbox One and PS4
Multicore AMD processor, AMD Radeon R9 270, Steam OS, Steam Controller, $499.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 26, 2013, 01:01 PM

Price is not too bad, though obviously I'll want to hear comparisons on power and quality.

P
Nov 26, 2013, 02:06 PM

The R9-270 is roughly the performance of the PS4 - I usually say that the PS4 has a Radeon 7850, and the R9-270 is the refreshed version of that chip. CPU we don't know, sounds like it could be the same Jaguar low-end chip that is in the PS4 and Xbone. And sure, $500 is nice for what is after all a fully capable computer (assuming they didn't skimp on storage and networking etc), but it's not impossible to match. Look at a barebone computer at any big retailer and you can match something like this, close enough. Without really working at it, I found this:

Shuttle SH67H3 Intel Core i7 / i5 / i3 (LGA1155) Intel Socket H2(LGA1155) Intel H67 Intel HD Graphics 2000/3000 integrated in the processor 1 x HDMI XPC Barebone - Newegg.com

$180 for that GPU leaves $85 for CPU, RAM and storage, which isn't really possible, but then that would be a real power Intel CPU and not some AMD reject embedded chip. Build guides can usually put together a decent gaming computer for $800 including display, audio and the input devices, so if you scratch that, you're not too far off from the console prices.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 26, 2013, 02:08 PM

Here's the real question which I think is the implication of the steambox : will you still have to worry about drivers and such or will the experience be somehow more streamlined like the console?

P
Nov 26, 2013, 03:40 PM

Steam optionally updates graphics drivers automatically on Windows, and has done so for a year or so now. I suspect that they will simply do the same for SteamOS.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 26, 2013, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
That is nowhere near as expensive as it used to be. I retired my 2006 midrange Core 2 Duo earlier this year when it refused to boot. I have bought new GPUs for it two times (the last of which I carried over to the next build), and I've always bought cards in the $150-200 range. Right now, something like a Radeon 270 is enough to game comfortably at 1080p, and that card is about $180. For $300 you get a 280X, which is enough for 2560p at Ultra or whatever the highest res is (nVidia has the GTX 770 at $330 if you have to go with a green solution). The days of upgrading every single generation are far behind us - you have big time gamers upgrading from something like a 5870 now, and that's a four year old card.
This is a big factor in my thinking. GPUs are far more mature now than when the last console cycle started. It's not the "treadmill" any more.

P
Nov 26, 2013, 07:40 PM

The market seems to be calming down after a fall full of price drops, rebrands and respecs and exactly one new chip (AMDs Hawaii, in the R9-290 series). You can get playable high quality 1080p performance for under $200 and 1440p for $300, and that's nothing short of impressive. The two GPU makers have also moved their designs towards each other, which means that performance is much more predictable than it used to be. A 270X is a little faster than a GTX 660, but it is so on essentially all games - it doesn't win one game by 50% and lose the next game by the same number, like it could be a few years ago.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 27, 2013, 05:18 AM

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 27, 2013, 08:41 AM

Leonard
Professional Poster
Nov 27, 2013, 12:19 PM

Still haven't been able to grab myself an Xbox One. Store shelves are empty and so are all the big online stores in Canada.

I guess I'll just have to wait a week. Or wait until January.

I'm keeping myself busy with SR4 and an iOS game or two.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 27, 2013, 12:26 PM

I read another article and the bog takeaway is whoever claimed the kinect was nearly 50% of the X1 price was off. The revised estimate I read was $75. Assuming is closer to accurate, that means a kinectless X1 is still barely price competitive with a PS4, and as many pointed out, MS is paying more money for inferior hardware (to the PS4). Tip of the hat to Sony on that.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 27, 2013, 03:02 PM

Not the best comparison, but noteworthy – Installing Xbox One Games Takes Way Too Long
Both the Xbox One and PS4 require all games to be installed from the disc, due to the increasing size of games and the relatively low speed of optical drives. So both consoles have a feature that allows you to launch a game as soon as enough content is installed to begin running it, while the rest of the data continues to install in the background. Our test was how long it takes to launch the game from the time you insert a disc, with a normal console connected to the internet.

How Long Your First Install Will Take On PS4 And Xbox OneP

Assassin's Creed IV:
Xbox One (offline, no update): 5 minutes 50 seconds
Xbox One (with update, fastest connection): 7 minutes 2 seconds
Xbox One (with update, 10Mbps connection): 10 minutes 32 seconds
PS4: 42 seconds

The rest of these were tested on our office Wi-Fi which is around 9-11Mbps. It may have been faster on a wired connection, but you can compare your own connection speed here. These are our results

Need For Speed Rivals:
XBO: 09:25 (including update)
PS4: 00:32

Just Dance 2014:
XBO: 08:48 (including update)
PS4: 00:45

NBA Live 14:
XBO: 16:26 (including update)
PS4: 00:35

FIFA 14:
XBO: 16:06 (including update)
PS4: 00:34

Madden 25:
XBO: 9:38 (including update)
PS4: 00:38

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 28, 2013, 11:24 AM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 2, 2013, 02:55 PM

ajprice
Professional Poster
Dec 2, 2013, 03:29 PM

I'm pretty sure that breasts don't do that. That's Not How Breasts Work, Ryse

*video in the link contains breasts! possibly with invisible string between the nipples and her knees...

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2013, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
I'm pretty sure that breasts don't do that. That's Not How Breasts Work, Ryse

*video in the link contains breasts! possibly with invisible string between the nipples and her knees...
Wow, that's remarkably bad. And here I was thinking that Ryse was the only next-gen game that looked impressive.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2013, 07:57 AM

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2013, 07:59 AM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 3, 2013, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
THQ is also irrelevant. At least Nintendo is still standing.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 3, 2013, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
THQ is also irrelevant. At least Nintendo is still standing.
No kidding.

Nintendo isn't irrelevant — it's just off-course. The 3DS is doing well and has an amazing games line-up. The only disaster is the Wii U. The sad thing is that its first-party titles have been incredible, but Nintendo seems to have underestimated the difference modern tech can make.

I know the cost of the system is affected by the game pad, but I think their biggest blunder is that they thought people want tablet form factors. The problem is that people actually want iPads...not tablets. Especially not a tablet that only works within 20 feet of the Wii U itself.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 3, 2013, 12:22 PM

So the PS4 sold 700,000 in Europe, and 250k of that was in the UK. Fascinating.

Also, X1 WW was 1m, PS4 Euro release was 700k. Comparable, IMO.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 3, 2013, 12:25 PM

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2013, 12:36 PM

No kidding.

Nintendo isn't irrelevant — it's just off-course. The 3DS is doing well and has an amazing games line-up. The only disaster is the Wii U. The sad thing is that its first-party titles have been incredible, but Nintendo seems to have underestimated the difference modern tech can make.

I know the cost of the system is affected by the game pad, but I think their biggest blunder is that they thought people want tablet form factors. The problem is that people actually want iPads...not tablets. Especially not a tablet that only works within 20 feet of the Wii U itself.
*puts analyst hat on*
It's not the tech that consumers(and by that i mean the average consumers, like those who bought the Wii) are focusing on IMHO. I actually think the unit has *enough* horsepower (obviously a lot less than PS4/XBO), but still adequate.

I think the controller is too intimidating for the general audience. The branding is confusing. And there aren't any 'stand out' titles which get interest.

My personal issues with the WiiU:
-Hate the controller. The touch screen is low quality(for touch). And i am not a fan of shifting focus during gameplay.
-No compelling software.
-Poor transition for eContent from the Wii, and strangely dropping support for GCN (which we know is possible).
-Clunky UI to switch OSs when playing Wii games.

Lets face it, Nintendo alienated their core last generation (specifically towards the end), and they courted a relatively flaky consumer segment (casuals) who have moved to iOS/Android en-mass. And effectively, despite the success of the Wii, they had almost no 'consumer capital' coming into this generation. And with no must-have launch title, it almost seems like they were setting themselves up for failure with the WiiU.

Right now the Wii is outselling the WiiU. Can they turn it around? IMHO... no. The PS3/XB360 at their lower price points and vast libraries will make sure of that for the next 2-3 years.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 3, 2013, 06:46 PM

Call of Duty Ghosts Next Gen Comparison - IGN
IGN mistakenly published a previous side-by-side comparison of Call of Duty: Ghosts that did not contain the full 1080p native resolution footage of the PS4 version. While IGN confirmed the display output setting on the PS4, the native resolution rendered in the game itself was not 1080p for an unknown reason. The footage was captured on non-retail, development hardware running the final build of the game. After viewing, the retail version on retail hardware, it's clear our old footage was a lower resolution. You can see this difference more clearly in this new video.
Isn't that some utterly convenient timing. Press really got exposed this launch.

Wholesale Changes Coming to the Xbox One Party System – But It’s Going to Take A While |
Reminder, this is the problem:
“Let me get into some technical detail regarding it – on 360, the OS handles all of the party and chat functionality. All you do is hook up the XBL VOiP OS API into your game, and it does most of the work for you. With it results in is a shared experience across multiple entertainment. If you’re watching movies or playing games, you can do it together. However, this system is entirely different on Xbox One. So, lets say me, you, and Thuway have xbox one’s that are online. We are signed in our profiles. Sitting at the home screen, we are considered to be in a “Xbox Party” on the server. There are no more ‘party leaders’. With that said if any one of us decide to start a game, the party is shifted over to that game’s party system. Each game now has their custom written VOIP.”

“In essence, it is almost EXACTLY how it was on the PS3, and it is in those API “handshakes” that is breaking the online experience.”
How MS managed to create this mistake is mind boggling.

---

Oh, in anti-Sony news, today is the release of BF4 DLC and as of this writing the PSN Store still hasn't updated so it can be downloaded.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 3, 2013, 06:52 PM

I've had to explain to just about everyone that the Wii U is standalone new system and not just something that came out for the Wii. Going from creating a feeding frenzy on your last product with casuals to confusing them about the very nature of what products you are selling is such a massive shift it's no wonder the numbers are low.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 3, 2013, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I've had to explain to just about everyone that the Wii U is standalone new system and not just something that came out for the Wii. Going from creating a feeding frenzy on your last product with casuals to confusing them about the very nature of what products you are selling is such a massive shift it's no wonder the numbers are low.
Compared to MS blunders, though, the marketing misstep is somewhat understandable. Nintendo decided to cash-in on the name, thinking casuals would more easily associate good things with. Unfortunately, in a world with the iPhone, the simple addition of a letter indicates an upgrade rather than some great evolution of the product. As stupid as it sounds, Wii 2 probably would send the message more clearly. Wii U sounds more like iPhone 4S.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 3, 2013, 08:25 PM

Amazon put XBOX One stock up for purchase an hour ago.
Amazon.com: Xbox One Console: Video Games
Posting this here just to see if there's any left later or tomorrow.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 4, 2013, 10:28 AM

X1 out of stock.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2013, 10:52 AM

I've been checking target's website for PS4 stock, and since yesterday the console isnt even listed on their website. what gives?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 4, 2013, 11:09 AM

EA in the news again, as the China Rising DLC released yesterday a litany of problems have occurred and it being in addition to all the bugs DICE have yet to iron out, the community has gotten very loud and very irate. Ex:

Of the top of my head:
• server browser doesn't work
• sounds drops
• 64p games laggy
• intensive maps crash client after some time
• as of yesterday quick match stopped working properly
• battle log incorrectly saving stats
• campaign save issues
• people getting booted as soon as they join DLC maps
• difficulty getting the DLC
• patches MIA or making things worse

Edit: Removal of the pregame squad system and confirmation they have no pans to reintroduce it

People are already predicting EA wins worst company for the third year in a row. They apparently apologized for the state of Live '14, which if you'll remember, started as Elite '11, got cancelled, Elite '12 then was also cancelled for a complete rebuild so we got this. If the problem is management obviously firing the guy this year will take some time to work its way through the companies projects, but holy crap EA is in bad shape. Well, except for sales.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 4, 2013, 12:20 PM

I redeemed my China Rising code when I got the game and it downloaded a small file. I assumed once the maps were released I'd download them and be on my way. When I try and join a CR server it says "buy dlc" instead of join server, re-entering the code returned a "this code has already been used" message. A quick google doesn't return the same issue I have as the main issue, but I can only hope it, too, will be fixed. If I get screwed on my free map packs I'm not going to be a happy camper.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 4, 2013, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I redeemed my China Rising code when I got the game and it downloaded a small file. I assumed once the maps were released I'd download them and be on my way. When I try and join a CR server it says "buy dlc" instead of join server, re-entering the code returned a "this code has already been used" message. A quick google doesn't return the same issue I have as the main issue, but I can only hope it, too, will be fixed. If I get screwed on my free map packs I'm not going to be a happy camper.
It's much more insidious than that. You're not premium. i.e., the logic is: buy the game early, get the maps late. You can only play the DLC with premium right now (everyone gets them the 17th, or 18th given PSN's updates).

Even better, XBOX already has second assault due to some moneyhat thing. Which makes the the delay on a map pack they gifted to so many people all the more insulting.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 4, 2013, 03:02 PM

EA: 'We reached a level of quality at next-gen launch that we didn't last time' - Battlefield 4 for PS4 News

EA believes that its first titles for Xbox One and PS4 reached a level of quality that it was unable to achieve with its launch titles for the previous generation - even in spite of ongoing issues with Battlefield 4 and low-scoring reviews for NBA Live 14.

Forum Links
Forum Rules