Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Gaming News & Discussion

Gaming News & Discussion (Page 73)
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 4, 2013, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Amazon put XBOX One stock up for purchase an hour ago.
Amazon.com: Xbox One Console: Video Games
Posting this here just to see if there's any left later or tomorrow.
X1 out of stock.
X1 back in stock!

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2013, 06:45 PM

X1 back in stock!
PS4?

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2013, 04:40 AM

X1 back in stock!
Not anymore.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 5, 2013, 10:56 AM

Riot tells pro League of Legends players they can’t stream competing games | Ars Technica
Strikingly, the contract prohibits not merely streaming these games during or adjacent to LCS events: they're banned entirely. If any competitor in LCS streams one of these games, they (or their team) are in breach of contract.

These prohibited games include direct competitors in the multiplayer online battle arena space such as Dota 2 and Heroes of Newerth, other competitive titles such as the StarCraft franchise, and, peculiarly, the PlayStation 3 title Fat Princess.
He likened the prohibition to those faced by professional athletes: if Nike sponsors your team, you don't go on camera wearing Reeboks. Rozelle argues that every time an LCS participant streams, they're "the face of competitive League of Legends"—even if they're not playing League of Legends.
Even if this were apt (this isn't is more like saying an NFL player can't play in the NBA), I'm pretty sure football players can wear whatever brand they want in their offhours.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 6, 2013, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
PS4?
All Best Buys will have them in stock this Sunday.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2013, 11:53 AM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 6, 2013, 11:56 AM

Not completely – there's a chance they're thinking it terms of available stock. In which case they're being sensationalist with math.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 6, 2013, 01:37 PM

EA stock dips as company struggles to fix Battlefield 4 issues | Ars Technica
Stock in Electronic Arts fell more than six percent yesterday after the company said developer DICE was placing other projects on hold as it struggles to fix server and gameplay issues with the recent release of Battlefield 4.

In a statement released late Wednesday, a DICE representative said the company was “not moving onto future projects or expansions until we sort out all the issues with Battlefield 4.” That means the development of announced games like Star Wars Battlefront and a new Mirror’s Edge is on the back burner while Battlefield issues get the developer’s full attention. The new focus also puts a hold on the development of three planned future BF4 expansions; the China Rising expansion, released earlier this week to Premium subscribers, was already in the final stages of development when issues with the base game arose.
Yesterday, though, an EA representative told GameSpot that the focus on fixing Battlefield 4 “does not impact our release schedule for future titles.” EA stock is back up about 4 percent in early trading this morning, but some analysts think this is an example of a temporary “dead cat bounce” that may not hold.
Man, EA can stop all its projects and not have it impede their release dates? I'm sure other companies would like to know their secret! Oh wait, I know what it is – lying.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 6, 2013, 04:35 PM

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 6, 2013, 04:37 PM

I think the XBox gif hides how huge the original XBox controller was.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 6, 2013, 04:38 PM

You're right, it doesn't look to scale.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 6, 2013, 06:04 PM

Not to scale, but still really cool.

P
Dec 9, 2013, 09:54 AM

Awards season is upon us - VGX 2013 Awards highlights:

Game of the Year: Grand Theft Auto V
Most Anticipated Game (fan vote): Titanfall
Best Action Adventure: Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
Best Shooter: BioShock Infinite
Best DLC: Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon
Best PC Title: Gone Home
Best Soundtrack: Grand Theft Auto V
Studio of the Year: Naughty Dog
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2013, 10:21 AM

Gran Turismo 6 misfires into number 8 in the UK sales charts, selling a fifth of what GT5 sold in first week sales back in the day, and charting lower than GTA V. Gran Turismo 6 first week UK sales around five times less than GT5 | Joystiq

The figures are for disc sales though, not PSN downloads, and it was launched on a Friday, the day before the new chart.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

P
Dec 9, 2013, 11:20 AM

Penny Arcade is killing the PA Report and PATV.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 9, 2013, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Most Anticipated Game (fan vote): Titanfall
If this game delivers, it could put a massive dent in the PS4's plans.

P
Dec 9, 2013, 11:58 AM

I truly wish that the former IW guys deliver, but that is far from certain. Had reason to play through MW2 single player recently, and that was... less than good. The story made zero sense.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2013, 12:31 PM

I truly wish that the former IW guys deliver, but that is far from certain. Had reason to play through MW2 single player recently, and that was... less than good. The story made zero sense.
Sorry P, but it must be less than 5% of buyers who actually care about the solo part of these 'Premiere FPSes'.

BF4 - crap solo
Ghosts - crap solo
Blops 1+2 - really really crap unless you were on LSD

P
Dec 9, 2013, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Sorry P, but it must be less than 5% of buyers who actually care about the solo part of these 'Premiere FPSes'.

BF4 - crap solo
Ghosts - crap solo
Blops 1+2 - really really crap unless you were on LSD
You'd think, but that's not actually the case. The players logging lots of hours and buying DLC and queuing up to get the game on release day probably don't bother with the SP campaign, but a lot of people do buy FPSes for the SP campaign. Not the point though. CoD SP campaigns from IW were always good, and in particular the CoD4:MW SP campaign shows up on "best of all time" lists every now and then. MW2 really fell off a cliff from that.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2013, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
If this game delivers, it could put a massive dent in the PS4's plans.
You do know this is also coming out on Windows, right?

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2013, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
Gran Turismo 6 misfires into number 8 in the UK sales charts, selling a fifth of what GT5 sold in first week sales back in the day, and charting lower than GTA V. Gran Turismo 6 first week UK sales around five times less than GT5 | Joystiq

The figures are for disc sales though, not PSN downloads, and it was launched on a Friday, the day before the new chart.
Add in the bad launch timing being in the window of new consoles.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 10, 2013, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
You do know this is also coming out on Windows, right?
Dooooooesn't matter.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 10, 2013, 12:21 AM

Just spent about an hour with my brother-in-law's Xbox One.

Quick notes:

1. I wasn't prepared for how small the controller was. Other than the terribly-placed bumpers, it felt really good in my hands. I think the face buttons are an improvement as well.
2. Voice commands are worthless.
3. Multi-user auto log-in is apparently broken.
4. The UI was very busy (not to mention laggy). I'm not opposed to the Metro look at all — if it was properly organized, it could be nice. I hope it evolves over the life of the system.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 10, 2013, 02:32 PM

Xbox One Digital Game Prices Raised - NowGamer
However, rather than lower their prices, Microsoft has now gone in the opposite direction, with the price of Xbox One exclusives Forza 5, Ryse: Son of Rome and Dead Rising 3 all being raised on the Xbox store.

Forza 5, Ryse and Dead Rising 3 were all previously priced at £44.99, but are now on sale for £49.99.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2013, 10:55 AM

Dooooooesn't matter.
Does for me. A difference of $60 vs $560.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 11, 2013, 11:28 AM

Microsoft: Xbox One reaches 2 million worldwide sales | Ars Technica
When Sony announced eight days ago that the PlayStation 4 had sold 2.1 million units worldwide, Microsoft declined to update the public on its own sales numbers (past the million day one Xbox One sales announced the week before). The company broke that silence today, announcing that the Xbox One has sold more than 2 million units worldwide since launching in 13 countries on November 22.

Microsoft points out that means the system is “averaging over 111,111 units sold per day—a record-setting pace for Xbox.” That’s a hair slower than the aggregate average of about 123,500 daily units represented by Sony’s 2.1 million sales in the 17 days between November 15 and December 1.

P
Dec 11, 2013, 11:30 AM

The exclusives are MS' ace in the hole, but they don't have the power that they used to. I'm sure that Titanfall will sell enough consoles to make it worth MS' money for buying that exclusive, but I don't see MS coming out on top this generation. They might pull off a healthy second place instead of cratering, though.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 11, 2013, 11:47 AM

The exclusives are MS' ace in the hole, but they don't have the power that they used to. I'm sure that Titanfall will sell enough consoles to make it worth MS' money for buying that exclusive, but I don't see MS coming out on top this generation. They might pull off a healthy second place instead of cratering, though.
In what context? US?

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2013, 11:59 AM

Just spent about an hour with my brother-in-law's Xbox One.

Quick notes:

1. I wasn't prepared for how small the controller was. Other than the terribly-placed bumpers, it felt really good in my hands. I think the face buttons are an improvement as well.
2. Voice commands are worthless.
3. Multi-user auto log-in is apparently broken.
4. The UI was very busy (not to mention laggy). I'm not opposed to the Metro look at all — if it was properly organized, it could be nice. I hope it evolves over the life of the system.
Saw the demo unit at Target the other day, and the console looked smaller than what i expected. It could have been the fact that i saw it in a big store.

I wish Sony would put demo units in stores too (haven't seen one yet). i'm still hunting for a nice juicy PS4 (despite not really being interested in any software atm).

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 11, 2013, 02:17 PM

PS4/BF4 update double-whammy hit today. Glad I left my PS4 in stand-by; will see if the background downloading took place when I get home today.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 11, 2013, 02:42 PM

More VC bullshit. If people bitching about publisher DLC habits is indicative, this shit is here to stay.
http://www.pastapadre.com/2013/12/10...-nba-2k-series
It’s somewhat startling to look back just a few weeks and see evaluations of NBA 2K14 that did not mention alarming tactics instituted by 2K Sports that would greatly affect consumers. The game for all intents and purposes requires an online connection and VC has been baked into almost every mode in a way that detracts from the enjoyment of the product.
VC, which stands for Virtual Currency and drive’s the game’s economy, has always been problematic ever since it debuted in NBA 2K13 and continued to 360/PS3 2K14. Now it has gotten even worse on the Xbox One/PS4. The currency system extends to the new Association mode, known as MyGM, while still being at the heart of MyTeam and a major factor in MyCareer. VC is universally pooled so spending VC in one mode will harm potential in another, and payouts for completing games and tasks organically have been restricted further.

Its effect on MyGM is immediately evident. VC must be spent to unlock abilities – even the most simple of things like changing the team’s rotation. More VC then has to be spent to utilize those abilities. Fail to meet a goal or do what the owner asks because you don’t want to spend the VC or don’t have it on hand and you’ll struggle and risk getting fired. Those who like to sim portions or all of their seasons will be unable to play the mode without spending money as simming does not grant any VC besides the minuscule amounts awarded for meeting season goals.
Design decisions have clearly been influenced by the presence of VC. Needing to constantly contact the 2K servers, to the extent that many of the features of the game can’t be played offline, is because of VC. Features like Online Leagues take a back seat because the company hasn’t figured out how best to monetize it or didn’t have time to implement VC in the fashion they would like just yet.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 11, 2013, 02:42 PM

Side question for Forza and GT players: I read that in previous games you were able to gift cars and that feature is now gone. The immediate connection is microtransactions. Is this true, and if so, does this impact the game in any way for you?
( Last edited by The Final Dakar; Dec 11, 2013 at 02:55 PM. )

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2013, 05:39 PM

PS4/BF4 update double-whammy hit today. Glad I left my PS4 in stand-by; will see if the background downloading took place when I get home today.
How big is the download? I just finished downloading the 3+ gigs for China Rising yesterday.

P
Dec 11, 2013, 06:26 PM

In what context? US?
I was thinking WW, but then I never quite understood why the Xbox and PS run so differently in the US and Europe. Japan OK, they have very different games and most of them are not on the Xbox, but AFAIK, we play the same sort of games in the west.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 11, 2013, 06:36 PM

I was thinking WW, but then I never quite understood why the Xbox and PS run so differently in the US and Europe. Japan OK, they have very different games and most of them are not on the Xbox, but AFAIK, we play the same sort of games in the west.
WW Xbox pulled a healthy second place (or third, if you count the Wii). The US is the only place it dominated. Given the post E3 tone, right now expectations would say it gets crushed WW and its a horserace in NA.

I don't know why, but seeing its dominance in the UK (Europe's exception) I always figured localization might be a factor (i.e., it's second rate). Otherwise, I'm not sure. I'd say part of the XBOX's appeal in the US is Live and competitive online multi. I don't know how that fares in continental europe.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 11, 2013, 06:50 PM

So, uh, I'm not sure I properly grasp the situation, but it seems a recent YouTube change has threatened, or at the very least fundamentally altered the Let's Play landscape.

P
Dec 12, 2013, 01:01 PM

WW Xbox pulled a healthy second place (or third, if you count the Wii). The US is the only place it dominated. Given the post E3 tone, right now expectations would say it gets crushed WW and its a horserace in NA.

I don't know why, but seeing its dominance in the UK (Europe's exception) I always figured localization might be a factor (i.e., it's second rate). Otherwise, I'm not sure. I'd say part of the XBOX's appeal in the US is Live and competitive online multi. I don't know how that fares in continental europe.
The 360 was a close third WW this gen, but I'm not sure that either it or the PS4 was very healthy. This time there is more market and better margins for both of them to share. I also thought that the Xbone was failing majorly after E3, but the exclusives might be MS' chance to save themselves.

One notable point: if you had both consoles this gen, you probably got your multiplatform games on the 360. If you have both this gen, you probably opt for games on the PS4. That is certainly a small slice of the market, but still.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2013, 01:07 PM

What changes did YouTube make to effect Let's Play?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 12, 2013, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
I haven't seen a write-up on any news sites. If it weren't for NeoGAF I wouldn't even know.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 12, 2013, 02:11 PM

I can't resist posting an interview where an exec tries to matrix himself around very straight-forward reasonable questions.
Interview: Interview: Chris Charla on the promise and pitfalls of Xbox One's indie program - CVG US
One of the most discussed aspects of Microsoft's independent developer program is its day-one parity clause - which asks independent studios to release their games on Xbox One the same time as PS4, or not at all. How open-minded are you to scrapping the plan?
So, I can't comment on our publishing policies. But I can say we're taking feedback from developers, and we're always taking feedback, and we want to make ID@Xbox as great a platform as it possibly can.

Can you explain how the day-one parity clause benefits the games industry?
Chris Charla: That's almost like you're asking the same question. I really can't talk about it. We encourage developers to reach out - I can't talk to you about the policy, but I can talk to developers about it.

Why can't you talk publicly about the policy?
Public Relations: It's not something that we're talking about, we're here to discuss the development of the ID@Xbox program.

This is strange, because the day-one parity clause is the most discussed subject regarding the ID@Xbox program.
Chris Charla: And what we're doing is listening. That's all I can say right now.
There were many absences, or at least enough to notice. You didn't list any of the eight indie developers that were presented on Sony's stage at E3. Where is Dennaton? Where is Supergiant Games, or Mike Bithell? It's just a little surprising to see these absent.
Chris Charla: Well these are just the developers that we announced last week. There's a lot more developers working on the system. I can't really talk about a specific developer, but I can say we're talking to lots of developers.

So has the day-one parity policy been the main stumbling block for signing up developers?
Chris Charla: I can't talk about policies.

But has it caused problems?
Chris Charla: No I think we've had a fantastic reception to the program. I wouldn't read a lot into the absences on that list.
oh man

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 12, 2013, 02:14 PM

X1 back in stock!
So this keeps happening. At this point it seems like amazon has a good amount to sell but seems content to keep letting small batches sell out for some reason or another.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 13, 2013, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
YouTube goes nuts flagging game-related content as violating copyright | Ars Technica

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 13, 2013, 11:11 AM

Biggest NPD in seven years just hit.
NPD Sales Results for November 2013 [Up3: Zelda, Pokemon, Mario, 3DS, Wii U] - NeoGAF

Hardware:

PlayStation 4: Top selling platform of the month.
Xbox One: 909,132 (Fastest selling: 101,000 per day) [Second best selling platform of the month.]
3DS Estimate: 770K [November 2012 was 540K, November 2011 was 795K]
Xbox 360: 647K (-48.7%)
Wii U: 220K
Here is how the Dreamcast performed historically since I'm sure people will ask for Wii U and Vita:

245K (Dreamcast, November 1999)
192K (Dreamcast, November 2000)
259K (Dreamcast, November 2001)
Sales of Wii U hardware increased by more than 340 percent over sales in October.

Remember guys:

50K < Wii U < 50.5K last month.

You would have thought the story would be about the PS4 and XBOX 1, but with both doing so well, its reversed the story onto the Wii U. It is a dead console. With the release of Super Mario 3D World you might have suspected that it would move some serious hardware, but, uh, no.

Otherwise, software sales are still down year-over-year, which I have no real idea why. Sequel fatigue? If so, the Top 10 still remains all the usual suspects, CoD, BF, Madde, AC, etc. I have no idea if a console launch fudges things, but if things don't improve next year, the console market will definitively be shrinking.

Edit: I'm rather impressed that the 360 still sold 650k units.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 16, 2013, 01:27 PM

Leonard
Professional Poster
Dec 16, 2013, 02:24 PM

Edit: I'm rather impressed that the 360 still sold 650k units.
I'm surprised and I'm not surprised. Everywhere I go, Best Buy, Futureshop, Walmart, I see tens if not hundreds of Xbox 360's, so it's no surprise they are selling. The strange thing is, why would you buy one now, so near the end of it's cycle.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2013, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
I'm surprised and I'm not surprised. Everywhere I go, Best Buy, Futureshop, Walmart, I see tens if not hundreds of Xbox 360's, so it's no surprise they are selling. The strange thing is, why would you buy one now, so near the end of it's cycle.
2nd hand games. They won't play on the ONE.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 17, 2013, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
The same people that bought the PS2 is droves.

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
2nd hand games. They won't play on the ONE.
?

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2013, 12:05 PM

Question:

I've never gotten past the water temple, but i've seen OOT top many charts, so i was wondering...

If Nintendo were to remaster Ocarina of Time in HD with a complete facelift and orchestrated soundtrack, would you consider getting a WiiU for it?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 17, 2013, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
If Nintendo were to remaster Ocarina of Time in HD with a complete facelift and orchestrated soundtrack, would you consider getting a WiiU for it?
I came to the conclusion that there's probably nothing Nintendo can do at this point to win me over. I didn't mind buying GameCube, but it was $100 cheaper than the competition but with comparable hardware (and that awful mini-cd drive).

But now? Nintendo could release everything I want – a powerful system, free of gimmicks – and I wouldn't buy it because I just don't care anymore. Its been almost 10 years since I played their stuff; I like what I see about SM3DW but I wouldn't pay a premium to do it. For example, I thought I'd eventually buy a PS3 when it got cheap enough, but I could never find the necessary reason to after all the price cuts (games or blu-ray).

I hate to say it, but what would interest me is whats least likely to happen – they go 3rd party.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 17, 2013, 03:18 PM

Nintendo doesn't want to become the next SEGA, which is probably a terrible comparison for them to make, because Nintendo's strength has always been the widespread excellence of their first-party software.

I did buy a Wii U soon after the launch (I'm anticipating my son to start getting interested in about a year or so), and while I've been disappointed in the slow trickle of software (and the horrible hand-cramping Gamepad), I've gotten a lot of enjoyment out of the Nintendo software that's come out for it, especially since I missed out on Wind Waker during the Gamecube era.

Super Mario 3D World deserved all the praise it's been receiving. It's just a shame it stands mostly alone.

Forum Links
Forum Rules