Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Gaming News & Discussion

Gaming News & Discussion (Page 74)
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 18, 2013, 10:46 AM

YouTube Responds To Content ID Crackdown, Plot Thickens - Forbes
One of my own videos—a trailer for Darksiders II provided to me by the publisher for the express purpose of uploading—was taken down, though only briefly until (according to an email from YouTube) THQ released the copyright claim. THQ, the video game publisher that no longer exists.
To briefly illustrate just how silly and absurd the Content ID system has become, take the case of a YouTuber who had footage of his own game taken down. This isn’t exactly without precedent, of course. Indie developer Jonathan Blow said recently that months prior to these changes, YouTube had flagged videos of his own game as property of Sony.
But this new Content ID system has other, bigger problems than the music industry or those game publishers who disapprove of Let’s Play videos. It turns the traditional DMCA take-down procedure on its head, and opens the door for fraud (whereby fraudulent claimants divert monetization from the YouTuber to themselves) and other serious issues.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 18, 2013, 12:54 PM

Gamasutra - Nintendo, Tecmo Koei band together for Hyrule Warriors
Hyrule Warriors was the big one -- a collaboration between Tecmo Koei and Nintendo that will see the former inject The Legend of Zelda into its popular Dynasty Warriors franchise.
God dammit. As someone who played the shit out of DW3 but could never find a reason to buy an installment of the series last gen, this certainly has my interest.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 18, 2013, 01:42 PM

Local supermarket had 5 PS4s for sale, with Killzone for 439€. BF4 is ~70€ for the PS4.

Reckon that I'll be sticking to the PC for a bit, even though I'm ashamed of my performance on the field of battle.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 18, 2013, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post

God dammit. As someone who played the shit out of DW3 but could never find a reason to buy an installment of the series last gen, this certainly has my interest.
Never played Dynasty Warriors. But i do think, Nintendo has lost the plot. After what happened with Metroid Other M, you'd think they would have learned their lesson.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 18, 2013, 02:42 PM

Enough interest to by a Wii U?

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 18, 2013, 02:44 PM

I already addressed that yesterday, shit stirrer.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 18, 2013, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Local supermarket had 5 PS4s for sale, with Killzone for 439€. BF4 is ~70€ for the PS4.

Reckon that I'll be sticking to the PC for a bit, even though I'm ashamed of my performance on the field of battle.
I'm impressed they had any. I suppose christmas time is not ideal to picking up a $400 PS4 on a whim.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 18, 2013, 03:00 PM

PS4s are still hard to find in my area. Best Buy, Target and Toys R US didn't have any but all 3 stores had plenty of xbones.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 18, 2013, 03:20 PM

Walmart's site says PS4s in stock in the stores around me.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Dec 18, 2013, 05:39 PM

Man you guys are lucky down south, in Canada, you can't find either Xbox Ones or PS4s anywhere. Not in stores and not online.

I think I finally got lucky today and scored an Xbox One online, while Best Buy had stock for about an hour or two. I see the order status says shipping so I should get it Friday or Monday, depending on where it's shipping from.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 19, 2013, 05:45 AM

I'm impressed they had any. I suppose christmas time is not ideal to picking up a $400 PS4 on a whim.
Yeah considering a PS3 with 500GB, 2 controllers and 2 games is going for 300€ and they've got the promotion RIGHT next to the PS4 stand.

Didn't you say that you got a PS4 BF4 pack? One controller? Guy in the supermarket said that it wouldn't be coming to France before May of next year. Which sounds fcukin dumb to me.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 19, 2013, 10:57 AM

I think I could have picked up a PS4 yesterday, but I came to the realization that there isn't anything I would want to do with it at this point.

None of the current games appeal to me, and it has none of the multimedia stuff either. It would have just collected dust. It's a nice piece of kit, but with no interesting software (multimedia support or games), its just a 'box which lights up' to me.

Strangely, like i mentioned before, 'RYSE' on XBone is possibly the only next gen game that 'looks' next gen to show off a system. Even Shadow Fall, while very very pretty, looks only marginally better than Uncharted3, etc...to me anyway.
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Dec 19, 2013 at 12:16 PM. )

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 19, 2013, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Even SkyFall, while very very pretty, looks only marginally better than Uncharted3, etc...to me anyway.
Do you mean Titanfall?

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 19, 2013, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Do you mean Titanfall?
Oops... I meant Killzone Shadow Fall

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 19, 2013, 12:40 PM

I think I could have picked up a PS4 yesterday, but I came to the realization that there isn't anything I would want to do with it at this point.
No shit.

i'm still hunting for a nice juicy PS4 (despite not really being interested in any software atm).
I was wondering why the hell you wanted one in the first place.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2013, 02:39 PM

My brother picked up a Wii U. I must say, it's pretty damn fun. They should've just called it the Wii HD and forgone the tablet-esque controller, and priced it around $200 from the get go. We ended up playing mostly with his old Wii controllers.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 19, 2013, 02:47 PM

What did you guys end up playing?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 19, 2013, 04:28 PM

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 22, 2013, 01:19 PM

Was talking about last gen with a group of friends the other day, and it got me to reflect on 2006-2013. I realized that I played and finished more games on my Wii than on my PS3.

Wii: Super Mario Galaxy, Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime 3, Call of Duty (don't remember which one). And i played and finished WindWaker(GCN), Rogue Squadron 2 & 3(GCN), Metroid Prime 1 & 2(GCN), Sonic1&2(GEN), Super Mario Bros(NES).

PS3: Shadow of the Colossus. (I own a lot of PS3 games, which are still shrink wrapped!)

With all the negative stuff we say about Nintendo, their content on the Wii was king. IMHO…i think my favorite game from last gen was Super Mario Galaxy, and best controls bar none was Metroid Prime 3, for me.

I haven't turned my Wii on for awhile (my pS3 was turned on daily for the media features, not for games). But i picked up some Wii Points, and will play some back catalog games i've never played…. Super Metroid, LoZ: Link to the past, Super Mario 64, Ocarina of Time(never finished), and Beyond Good & Evil(GCN).

I'm still a 'single player gamer' and really not into multiplayer stuff, maybe thats why i like those games? not sure...

Cheers

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2013, 04:37 AM

What did you guys end up playing?
Maybe Super Mario 3D World. I finished it yesterday, so charming.

will play some back catalog games i've never played…. Super Metroid, LoZ: Link to the past, Super Mario 64, Ocarina of Time(never finished), and Beyond Good & Evil(GCN).

The Making of Super Mario 64

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 23, 2013, 10:06 AM

Passed by the gaming display in the closest Target yesterday and saw four Xbox Ones peering back at me. I had to return a few hours later and my curiosity got the best of me, so I checked on them. Only one had sold in the 4-5 hours I had been gone.

I asked the employee if they had any PS4s, and he said, "No way. We can't keep them in stock more than an hour. I think people call their friends when they seem them."

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 23, 2013, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Passed by the gaming display in the closest Target yesterday and saw four Xbox Ones peering back at me. I had to return a few hours later and my curiosity got the best of me, so I checked on them. Only one had sold in the 4-5 hours I had been gone.

I asked the employee if they had any PS4s, and he said, "No way. We can't keep them in stock more than an hour. I think people call their friends when they seem them."
As much as this stuff tickles me to no end, until both supply chains are firmly established, there's not much to read into here – for all we know the PS4 is merely shipping half as many units.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 23, 2013, 12:30 PM

As much as this stuff tickles me to no end, until both supply chains are firmly established, there's not much to read into here – for all we know the PS4 is merely shipping half as many units.
As the guy in this forum who endured the eye rolls and shoo-aways for over five years as I extolled the virtues of Uncharted and Infamous, would you please shut up and JUST GIVE ME THIS!!!

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 23, 2013, 12:33 PM

As the guy in this forum who endured the eye rolls and shoo-aways for over five years as I extolled the virtues of Uncharted and Infamous, would you please shut up and JUST GIVE ME THIS!!!
No. PS4 being the better buy this gen does nothing to validate the PS3's existence. It still was overpriced, hard to code for, and got inferior multiplat ports.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 23, 2013, 12:33 PM

i've never played … Super Mario 64...
Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
What I've found upon revisiting Super Mario 64 is that does not hold up well in the modern era, just like 95% of the N64-era titles.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 23, 2013, 12:35 PM

No. PS4 being the better buy this gen does nothing to validate the PS3's existence. It still was overpriced, hard to code for, and got inferior multiplat ports.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2013, 12:56 PM

Being an exclusive 'single player gamer' myself, i think the PS3 was a great system. Just as good as the Wii for single player games. Expensive? given the multimedia features and BluRay, i thought it was priced fine; of course if you're never going to use those features they wouldn't have much value.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 25, 2013, 07:00 AM

What I've found upon revisiting Super Mario 64 is that does not hold up well in the modern era, just like 95% of the N64-era titles.
I am still waiting for a proper sequel to Road Rush 64 !!

P
Dec 25, 2013, 10:43 AM

This is my experience as well - I never had the original PSX or the N64, and when I've tried later to play those games, they usually don't hold up. I played Mario64 on a DS, which was pretty fun, and OoT is still great, but I could never get started with other early 3D games.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 26, 2013, 11:13 AM

Being an exclusive 'single player gamer' myself, i think the PS3 was a great system. Just as good as the Wii for single player games. Expensive? given the multimedia features and BluRay, i thought it was priced fine; of course if you're never going to use those features they wouldn't have much value.
Yeah, thanks for the 5 year-old argument everyone has heard before.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 26, 2013, 04:28 PM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 26, 2013, 07:22 PM

PSN keeps failing so I can't connect to EA online. It's 2007 Xmas Xbox live all over again.

...and sadly I expected this. The PS4 sold gangbusters and I'm not sure PSN ever had a 2007 moment of their own.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 26, 2013, 08:06 PM

That happened to me when I first signed on last night. My Battlefield data finally uploaded after 2 tries.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 26, 2013, 09:04 PM

PSN keeps failing so I can't connect to EA online. It's 2007 Xmas Xbox live all over again.

...and sadly I expected this. The PS4 sold gangbusters and I'm not sure PSN ever had a 2007 moment of their own.
I'm having a lot of trouble playing GTA V online today.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Dec 27, 2013, 07:32 AM

Dakar has many leather bound books, and his PS4 controller smells of rich mahogany...

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 27, 2013, 10:16 AM

Got home, couldn't check friends list.

Watched a tv show, couldn't get on.

Made and ate dinner, couldn't get on.

Watched a documentary and did one last check – still couldn't get on.

Yep, its 2007, alright.

The entire time the PSN support page said it was online.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 27, 2013, 11:20 AM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 27, 2013, 11:22 AM

Its also worth noting that apparently Nintendo's E-shop is down, and people have complaining about Steam being down.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 27, 2013, 11:23 AM

You believe this shit, JB?
PlanetSide 2 graphics on PS4 equivalent to 'Ult... | GameZone
PlanetSide 2 creative director Matt Higby revealed "The PS4 version will be nearly identical to the PC version, with the exception of the User Interface."
"If you turned up your PC version to Ultra, that's how it's going to look on PS4," he added when prodded for a graphical comparison. So if you're like me and own an average PC rig, you might be better off going with the PS4 version.
I watched a preview video and I seem to recall top-end rigs would see frame-drops at Ultra. I don't see any level of optimization making the PS4 somehow leapfrog that. (Or, we're about to see some seriously low frame rates)

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 27, 2013, 11:47 AM

PS Plus in January: Don't Starve, BioShock Infinite, Brothers | Joystiq
The January freebies for PlayStation Plus have just been revealed and it's quite the eclectic mix. Next week, PS4 owners will be able to partake in Klei's survival simulator Don't Starve, a game about scrounging for supplies and surviving for just one more night in a hostile environment.

On PS3, will offer three separate free downloads in January: BioShock Infinite, DmC: Devil May Cry and Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons.
Ugh, Don't starve feels like a graphically unique version of mine craft.

BioShock Infinite seems like an impressive pull, too bad its PS3.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2013, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
Dakar has many leather bound books, and his PS4 controller smells of rich mahogany...
I wonder what cologne Dakar uses? London Gentlemen? No no wait... Blackbeard's Delight.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2013, 01:29 PM

Got home, couldn't check friends list.

Watched a tv show, couldn't get on.

Made and ate dinner, couldn't get on.

Watched a documentary and did one last check – still couldn't get on.

Yep, its 2007, alright.

The entire time the PSN support page said it was online.
After multiple attempts to connect with the EA servers, I surrendered myself to single player campaign. I got about halfway through on the hard difficulty. Which BTW isn't that hard.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 27, 2013, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
After multiple attempts to connect with the EA servers, I surrendered myself to single player campaign. I got about halfway through on the hard difficulty. Which BTW isn't that hard.
I got slaughtered on easy. Party because I wanted to go through it as fast possible, partly because the AI has better aim than a 12 year-old aimbot, and partly because the enemies still took two sniper hits to kill. Absurd.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 27, 2013, 01:44 PM

I wonder what cologne Dakar uses? London Gentlemen? No no wait... Blackbeard's Delight.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2013, 02:57 PM

Now it's complete.

iCarbons - Sony Playstation 4 - Dark Wood

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2013, 03:40 PM

So how does one categorise this? The chic-log-cabin-look?

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2013, 05:44 PM

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 29, 2013, 02:48 AM

Holy crap. Please...please tell me where you got that controller.

Also, if I had any assurance that the iCarbons sticker set looked good in person, I'd fork over the money almost immediately. But...they're stickers...

You believe this ****, JB?
PlanetSide 2 graphics on PS4 equivalent to 'Ult... | GameZone
I watched a preview video and I seem to recall top-end rigs would see frame-drops at Ultra. I don't see any level of optimization making the PS4 somehow leapfrog that. (Or, we're about to see some seriously low frame rates)
Oh, wow...

I'll believe it when I see it, but it does make me more excited about Planetside 2.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jan 3, 2014, 06:30 PM

Co-founders of Criterion Games, creators of Burnout, leave studio [update] | Polygon
Alex Ward, vice president and creative director of Criterion Games, and Fiona Sperry, studio director, are both no longer working at the studio, Electronic Arts has confirmed to Polygon.

"Alex Ward and Fiona Sperry have decided to leave EA," a spokesperson told Polygon this morning. "We appreciate their many contributions through the years and wish them well in their future endeavours.

"The incredibly creative and talented team at Criterion are hard at work on a new project for next-gen consoles as new IP continues to be a major priority across EA. Matt Webster is leading development of the new game and the Criterion studio moving forward. Matt has been part of Criterion for years and has an exciting vision for this new game."

The departure comes at a time of uncertainty in the studio, following several years of changing focus for what the studio was working on. Ward's most recent LinkedIn profile shows that he's working on "unannounced project zero." Sperry's LinkedIn profile shows her working on the "Team Zero" project, which is described as "the next thing from Criterion Games." We've reached out to both Ward and Sperry for comment and will update this story when they respond.
In a 2012 interview with Polygon, Most Wanted executive producer Matt Webster told Polygon that while all future Need for Speed games may not be developed by Criterion, but that the studio would have creative oversight of the franchise moving forward.

"We are always going to have a handle in it," Webster said at the time. "We're not really talking about where we go next, but we definitely have a creative hand on the tiller."

But just one year later that was no longer the case. During a Gamescom interview in August of last year, Need for Speed Rivals executive producer Marcus Nilsson told Polygon that the newly created Ghost Games studio was now in charge of the franchise.

"Ghost is now leading Need for Speed and there will certainly be some announcements about how that will evolve and work in the near future," Marcus Nilsson, executive producer on the game, told Polygon. "Criterion is doing something else, but that doesn't mean they can't help us on this."

Nilsson said that about 80 percent of Criterion was working on Rivals with the remaining group working on a mysterious "new project." A month later, Alex Ward tweeted that 60 to 65 people moved from Criterion over to Ghost Games, seemingly permanently, to work on the game and the franchise, leaving about 20 at Criterion.
So they basically made the studio a NFS factory, then gave them an out by redirecting that to Ghost games, then took a chunk of the studio to staff ghost games, and let 20% of the remaining staff work on the new project? Sounds great.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jan 6, 2014, 06:16 AM

Here are Valve's 12 Steam Machines partners (so far)

12 (and counting) Steam Machine partners with Valve, they will be shown at CES, and the Valve conference will be tomorrow afternoon:

Alienware
Falcon Northwest
iBuyPower
CyberPowerPC
Origin PC
Gigabyte
Materiel.net
Webhallen
Alternate
Next
Zotac
Scan Computers

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Forum Links
Forum Rules