Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Gaming News & Discussion

Gaming News & Discussion (Page 78)
Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 5, 2014, 12:15 PM

It makes absolutely no sense other than fear that consumers won't know it's related to the only good Batman games.

It was the first thing I noticed when they posted the trailer.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 5, 2014, 03:17 PM

I heard there's also a Superman game in developement called Man of Arkham Steel.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 5, 2014, 03:36 PM

The next Batman game will be the Arkham Knight. Followed by Arkham's Greatest Detective.

P
Mar 5, 2014, 05:39 PM

I think the point of the Arkham branding was to point out that it was not a tie-in to the movies. Movie tie-ins have an absolutely terrible reputation, and with the Nolan Batman movies being so big, it seemed a likely mistake to make.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 5, 2014, 06:12 PM

Arkham: The Batman Story

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 6, 2014, 01:26 PM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 10, 2014, 03:40 PM

There seems to be a storm brewing over Titanfall's resolution and framerate. Talk is of a post-launch patch to get it to run at 792p. Why? No one really knows other than "It's not 720p" i.e., it's better than 720p, which has been a bit of a stumbling block for the X1 in stats measuring.

The second issue is reports that the game's framerate suffers once several Titans get on screen, to the point where there are claims that it drops to single-digits during Last Titan Standing.

Adding more amusement for me, the A.I. is supposed to run off MS' Azure servers, lightening the processing load for the X1. Giant Bomb reported during pre-beta, they saw the A.I. 'stall' during spikes in latency, confirming its presence, but making the performance issues all that more appalling.

I like Respawn, and I wish them well, but between the mocking about CoDs engine (even during MW2) and this, I get the feeling they might not have some of the best programmers.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 10, 2014, 03:42 PM

Oh, and it goes without saying early review scores do not reflect the claimed framerate issues.

P
Mar 10, 2014, 04:39 PM

MS made a console designed to run well at 720p and now tries to explain that it did nothing of the sort, because the comparison to the PS4 is not in their favor. Most likely they're leaning on EA to up the res, and anything larger than 720p is good news for them. I honestly wish that they'd change tack and just explain that it's no big deal, but noooooo...
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 10, 2014, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
MS made a console designed to run well at 720p and now tries to explain that it did nothing of the sort, because the comparison to the PS4 is not in their favor. Most likely they're leaning on EA to up the res, and anything larger than 720p is good news for them. I honestly wish that they'd change tack and just explain that it's no big deal, but noooooo...
Actually if you look at the media coverage, they quite disgustingly backed MS on the "Who cares about resolution" after E3 in the lead-up to the launches, despite playing the numbers game before (Even worse, until games specs started appearing in the weeks before, most even played off the likelihood for the difference being more than negligible). After years of feeding us the numbers game, their readers gave them a lot of shit and its come off as just another reminder that the gaming media is more PR than journalism.

MS can't win this discussion. They need to fall back on exactly what they did here – the games. They have Titanfall, PS4 owners don't. It's the only thing that can tout.

---

What I love about this is a game that's running sub-optimally is about to get a res boost that couldn't possibly help the situation – though Respawn did note the patch was a possibility, not a certainty.

P
Mar 10, 2014, 07:02 PM

The media reaction to all of this has been shameful. I know it's not payola but rather that MS will blackball anyone crapping too hard on their new baby, but no matter the cause, they're acting chicken.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 11, 2014, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
PS4's offerings wouldn't have felt quite so barren if Driveclub had met its original release date.
Now the devs aren't commenting if it'll be out this year...

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2014, 03:23 PM

It's like Gran Turismo 5 all over again.

In other news Bungie/Sony released a "sharing is caring" video for Destiny. I don't know why. The sharing feature on the PS4 sucks. I'm hoping Sony will eventually release an update so we can trim/edit and upload videos directly to Youtube.

Destiny Sharing Commercial | #PS4share | PS4 Commercial - YouTube

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

P
Mar 11, 2014, 06:56 PM

The whispers on the Xbone has been quite negative of late. Kinetic is useless, the Xbone is not powerful enough to achieve the main goal of this generation: 1080p gaming at good fps, and it is more expensive as well. If developers start dropping the Xbone, it will be an avalanche.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 12, 2014, 12:36 PM

the Xbone is not powerful enough to achieve the main goal of this generation: 1080p gaming at good fps, and it is more expensive as well.
I think the goal is high res or good fps. Which makes the 720p/30fps games really, really sad.

If developers start dropping the Xbone, it will be an avalanche.
That's not going to happen for a while. The early sales numbers are still amazing in comparison to past launches. We're going to need to see a serious lack of sales during he holidays before publishers panic.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 12, 2014, 12:39 PM

So, what are the chances Driveclub's delay may partially be due to this?
Sony's VR tech will be revealed at GDC – and it represents virtual reality gaming's greatest hope | News | Edge Online
Sony will reveal its Oculus Rift-beating VR headset at GDC next week, according to developers familiar with the tech.

A prototype is already in some thirdparty developers’ hands, who have told us that Sony’s VR headset is far superior to Oculus Rift’s first incarnation, though that is expected to even out a little with the arrival of Rift’s new, more advanced Crystal Cove devkit. They also said that there’s little software to speak of currently, but they expect to see something from one of Sony’s firstparty studios at GDC, even if it is just a tech demo.
Longer stretches of play are leaving players dazed for hours afterwards at this point. Indie studio Streum On Studio is developing SpaceHulk: Deathwing for Oculus Rift, and it too says VR must overcome this problem. “Oculus seems to be working hard on that,” says studio associate Longuepee Christophe. “The new HD version seems to have started to decrease this effect a bit.”
That kind of takes the edge off my excitement however.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 12, 2014, 02:14 PM

I'm about to venture into lazier-than-lazy territory, but I always wanted a VR headset that simulated being in front of a massive IMAX screen instead of a "field of view," turns-as-you-turn-your-head approach.

The main reason: I could game while lying on my back.

I'd probably fall asleep too often, and it might be terrifying to wake up in the middle of a firefight, but I've had back spasms for nearly a decade, and gaming for longer than just a few minutes is a serious strain. I'm always tempted to lean forward, towards the screen. Slap on a VR headset, and I'm lying in bed almost immediately.

Of course, then I'm dangerously close...

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 12, 2014, 02:17 PM

The whispers on the Xbone has been quite negative of late. Kinetic is useless, the Xbone is not powerful enough to achieve the main goal of this generation: 1080p gaming at good fps, and it is more expensive as well. If developers start dropping the Xbone, it will be an avalanche.
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
That's not going to happen for a while. The early sales numbers are still amazing in comparison to past launches. We're going to need to see a serious lack of sales during he holidays before publishers panic.
Give it two or three years. If the next Titanfall is cross-platform, and it runs at 1080p on the PS4, it's going to cause a fanboy riot on every forum on the Internet.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 12, 2014, 02:24 PM

Give it two or three years. If the next Titanfall is cross-platform, and it runs at 1080p on the PS4, it's going to cause a fanboy riot on every forum on the Internet.
Doesn't matter if it still sells on the X1.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 12, 2014, 02:27 PM

Doesn't matter if it still sells on the X1.
It doesn't matter now, and it won't matter soon, but let the "PS4 versions always look better" perception become the status quo, and it will have long-term effects on hardware sales. It won't be a Wii-esque tail off, but I'm sure it will be noticeable.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 12, 2014, 02:31 PM

It doesn't matter now, and it won't matter soon, but let the "PS4 versions always look better" perception become the status quo, and it will have long-term effects on hardware sales. It won't be a Wii-esque tail off, but I'm sure it will be noticeable.
Same thing happened with the PS3. In the US, it won't matter for the X1.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 12, 2014, 03:16 PM

I was prompted to post this: Xbox Live outage cripples the launch of 'Titanfall' | The Verge

Now is the absolute worst time for Xbox Live to be down. Today marks the debut of Titanfall, the game that could make or break the Xbox One game console. It's a masterpiece of mechanical manslaughter, and Microsoft pulled out all the stops for its release, delivering new system updates, new peripherals and even a "fix" for the Xbox One game controller ahead of its launch today. But now, as prospective US players return home from work to play the Xbox One's killer app, many are finding themselves unable to sign into their consoles and actually play the game.
Not exactly distinguishing itself from PSN.

P
Mar 12, 2014, 03:28 PM

Same thing happened with the PS3. In the US, it won't matter for the X1.
That the PS3 games looked better? No, quite the opposite, at least for a long time. Many PS3 games were rendered at a lower res that the 360 port of the same. The difference was much smaller than here, but still.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 12, 2014, 03:46 PM

That the PS3 games looked better? No, quite the opposite, at least for a long time. Many PS3 games were rendered at a lower res that the 360 port of the same. The difference was much smaller than here, but still.
PS3 games looked like shit but it didn't stop PS sales in Europe. That's the comparison.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 12, 2014, 04:17 PM

Well, more importantly, they played that way. Skyrim became almost unplayable, but only after a significant amount of time had been logged, making it that much more infuriating.

Did it hurt PS sales in Europe? I can't comment on that. Did it hurt PS sales in America? I've never seen a poll conducted that can prove it, but when it seemed like I read stories about the 360's cross-platform graphical superiority every week, I would have to assume that it did. I think the scale of the impact is too difficult to gauge.

P
Mar 12, 2014, 05:20 PM

I think it did hurt PS4 sales, at least to some extent, but there are two big differences here: the Xbone costs $100 more, and the hardware difference is obvious. The PS3 was more expensive at launch, but was at price parity for most of its run. It also had the "stronger hardware in theory" that kept people hoping for a brighter future. The Xbone costs more, which makes you have to ask why you should pay more. If they were equal, you could argue for bonus features being important for you, but here the gaming part is clearly worse. I'm sure MS will keep arguing that their finicky eSRAM will be great, and their "Cloud execution" will help, but both of those things are arguments for why they might catch up one day, not break away in front. The facts are indisputable: the PS4 has 50% more shaders, 50% more texture units, 100% more ROPs, and the memory bandwidth is much easier to make use of. Only the last point requires anything remotely like understanding - the others are just more = better.

There is also a second point here: If the PS4 comes out as the clear number one, there is no reason to spend extra time making the Xbone game look good - and its the Xbone that needs that extra care. Sure developers might push out games for the Xbone, but without the extra care, they will run like Skyrim on the PS4.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 13, 2014, 09:20 AM

the Xbone that needs that extra care. Sure developers might push out games for the Xbone, but without the extra care, they will run like Skyrim on the PS4.
I think this is the likely endgame for this gen.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 14, 2014, 10:33 AM

NPD is out for Feb. Short story: PS4 and X1 sold roughly the same, with the PS4 having the edge.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2014, 05:12 AM

P
Mar 19, 2014, 09:07 AM

EA is up for "Worst company in America" again this year. Not so many other tech companies this year, though: MS is there as usual, and Yahoo for some reason, but it's a much wider selection of companies. Last year they had stuffed Apple and Google there as options for no other reason than that they were big companies.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 19, 2014, 09:22 AM

They'll win again. BF4 is still in rough shape, and that should be enough.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 19, 2014, 11:36 AM

Report: Microsoft working on augmented reality headset for Xbox | Ars Technica

Oh boy, everyone jumping on the VR bandwagon. (Well except Nintendo)

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2014, 03:52 PM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 19, 2014, 04:07 PM

Something about the reviewer's tone didn't impress me. Basically, I think it's a case of someone who isn't interested in the type of game reviewing it. Take it with the same grain of salt you'd use with me reviewing a Call of Duty title.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2014, 05:01 PM

Something about the reviewer's tone didn't impress me. Basically, I think it's a case of someone who isn't interested in the type of game reviewing it. Take it with the same grain of salt you'd use with me reviewing a Call of Duty title.
Probably. I have a feeling that he thinks the same as me : CoD went titsup after MW2.

I like the use of twitch, its very apt.

P
Mar 19, 2014, 06:31 PM

Peter Bright, who wrote that review, is the Windows reviewer, not the gaming reviewer. He's also infamous under his forum moniker Dr. Pizza, under which he spent years trolling before being hired by Ars.

(I agree that CoD went to hell after the people who made it were fired/left, btw. Don't underestimate how many people walked out the door - the news was West and Zampella, but really they lost most of the senior people. After that CoD was a shadow of what it had been)

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 20, 2014, 01:12 PM

(I agree that CoD went to hell after the people who made it were fired/left, btw. Don't underestimate how many people walked out the door - the news was West and Zampella, but really they lost most of the senior people. After that CoD was a shadow of what it had been)
Trust me, this was covered n depth in the old news thread. There was no bigger fan of IW on these forums than me after MW2.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 22, 2014, 04:32 PM

Early thoughts on Infamous: Second Son:

- The game is gorgeous. I expected the gorgeous lighting/rain effects, but what I didn't fully anticipate was the realism of the character models and believability of their conversations.
- The particle effects... Good God, the particle effects...
- As someone who loved Infamous 1 and 2, I was happy to see that Second Son feels different enough from the first two games. This is the evolution of Infamous 1/2, and I'm very happy about it so far.
- All the reviews seem to focus on the lack of impact the morality system has on the arc of the story. I expect this to be completely accurate, as the first two games used the decisions to shape the path to different powers instead of the story itself. It affects the endings, but the game isn't drastically different. It's disappointing, but not deal-breaking. Honestly, I think they're making a bit too much of it, but I'm going to tend towards the apologist route with this series.
- Seriously, this game is beautiful.

[EDIT] The neon powers are probably the most eye-popping effect I've seen in a video game, and actually makes you feel ridiculously powerful.
( Last edited by Jawbone54; Mar 25, 2014 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Additional thoughts)

ajprice
Professional Poster
Mar 26, 2014, 08:47 AM

Facebook buys Oculus VR for $2bn. Minecraft will no longer be on Oculus Rift, because Facebook bought Oculus VR for $2bn. Notch cancels Minecraft for Oculus Rift, but other developers still have interest (update)

I don't think they'll be the last to walk.

So, 18 months ago Oculus was a Kickstarter, asking for $250k and getting over $2m, now this. Facebook is an odd one to buy it, I can't see how there's a crossover between social media and 3D goggles. Google would be a better fit in my opinion, with Google Glass etc.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 26, 2014, 09:05 AM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 26, 2014, 09:40 AM

Whatsapp, $19B, Oculus, $2B.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 26, 2014, 10:03 AM

Oh, after seeing some screen shots for InFamous I picked it up. I'm sure it'll be a good if not great game, but the forced implementation of the touch pad (swipe to open doors, click both sides to push) is awful. Using the controller sideways to spray paint was clever, however.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 26, 2014, 10:57 AM

I'm being meticulous in my first play-through, trying to 100% each district before moving on. I've got more thoughts, but I'll save the rest until I finish it.

You're 100% right about the touch pad gestures. The one implementation I don't hate is press-to-drain for absorbing powers, but the rest feel terrible.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 26, 2014, 11:16 AM

Oh, I forgot, the Driveclub director left in Feb (a little before the delay was announced). So I think that title can be written off now...

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 26, 2014, 02:20 PM

Driveclub is dead. I don't care so much personally, but it does suck for Sony.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 26, 2014, 02:34 PM

I do. A F2P racing game sounded right up my alley.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 26, 2014, 02:46 PM

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 26, 2014, 03:27 PM

I do. A F2P racing game sounded right up my alley.
It sounded great initially.

But has a title that's been through this type of storm ever come out and not disappointed?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 26, 2014, 03:45 PM

BTW, I love that we've reached a point in the video games news cycle where we're teasing who the director of the game is. Jesus Christ, next thing you know they'll be teasing where it was made and with what computers.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Mar 26, 2014, 10:02 PM

BTW, I love that we've reached a point in the video games news cycle where we're teasing who the director of the game is. Jesus Christ, next thing you know they'll be teasing where it was made and with what computers.
Jay Wilson'd

Forum Links
Forum Rules