Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Gaming News & Discussion

Gaming News & Discussion (Page 81)
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 7, 2014, 09:11 AM

I saw. I'm so proud of them. A bi-yearly title? Thank god.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 7, 2014, 12:03 PM

Nintendo lowers the bar for hardware sales, misses anyway | Ars Technica

Nintendo sold 2.72 million Wii U units worldwide in the fiscal year that ended in March, just below the 2.8 million it projected in January and much lower than the 9 million units it expected going at the beginning of the fiscal year. The console has now sold just over 6.17 million units worldwide to date, a number that's already been surpassed by the PlayStation 4 despite a one-year head start for Nintendo's system (The Wii U is still ahead of the Xbox One's 5 million worldwide shipments, for now).
If I'm reading that right, Nintendo sold 2.7 million Wii U's in the last 12 months? That is horrific.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 7, 2014, 02:22 PM

Unfinished Steam Game Abandoned After Thousands Bought It

The creators of the PC game Towns have given up on development, choosing to leave the game unfinished for good—even though it's been on sale for the past 18 months and had sold over 200,000 copies as of last summer.

The folks behind Towns have no plans to give out refunds to anyone who purchased the city-building game, which has faced development issues for over a year now.
Frankenberger went on to talk about a potential sequel—yes, sequel!—writing that they could implement all of their original ideas for Towns in this new form. "Xavi and I were talking about a possible Towns 2," he wrote. "At the moment this is just in an idea stage and we can't really say if he, I or eventually Ben have the time to create a Towns 2. As faithful fans of Towns we would of course reward you in some way, when/if the new game is released."1

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2014, 05:34 PM

I never understood the people that paid for Beta games on Steam. Devs should be paying me to debug their code.

Yes, I realise it often gives privileged access to certain things.

Rumor
May 8, 2014, 03:26 PM

How can you have a sequel to an unfinished game?
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 8, 2014, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
How can you have a sequel to an unfinished game?
You're an asshole, mostly.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 8, 2014, 03:31 PM

Oh, I forgot to post this
Titanfall nears 1 million sold in three weeks

Many looked at Titanfall as being the first tentpole game for the Xbox One, but how many people actually bought it? It turns out 925,000 units were sold through for the quarter, according to publisher Electronic Arts' latest earnings call. Unfortunately, Chief Operating Officer Peter Moore was citing NPD numbers and those don't include digital or world-wide sales, and thus copies bought via EA's Origin PC service or from the Xbox One's dashboard don't factor into that tally.
Is that good or bad? Kinda feels like both to me.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
May 9, 2014, 02:12 AM

I wonder what the world-wide sales number is. Maybe 1.5 million? That's still pretty low considering MS has shipped 5 million xbones with a limited library of games to compete against.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 9, 2014, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Oh, I forgot to post this
Titanfall nears 1 million sold in three weeks

Is that good or bad? Kinda feels like both to me.
What do you assume average price is, $60? Does $60 mil cover dev costs + marketing + all the other BS nowadays?

What exactly is a successful game?

Rumor
May 10, 2014, 03:26 PM

You're an asshole, mostly.
Enough about me, what about my question?
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

P
May 13, 2014, 11:57 AM

Many sources are reporting that MS is introducing a Kinect-less Xbone on June 9.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
May 13, 2014, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
Enough about me, what about my question?
First you settle the class action lawsuit. Then you find a new game distribution platform. After that you sell alpha access to beta of the game you previously sold alpha access too.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2014, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Many sources are reporting that MS is introducing a Kinect-less Xbone on June 9.
Any price indications?

P
May 13, 2014, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Any price indications?
Sorry. $399 to match the PS4.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 13, 2014, 12:46 PM

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2014, 01:25 PM

Just saw on BBC as well. So equal price, but not perf. They should have undercut Sony by at least 50€.

P
May 13, 2014, 02:44 PM

That would smack of desperation. MS is taking the long view, mostly wanting to show that they're still a player. In their mind, the consoles are now equal and it will come down to exclusives - a game MS won last gen.

Dropping Kinect now makes a lot of sense. There are few Kinect games, making it mandatory did not boost the development of any and it is not a system-seller for the other features. One of the things new since Ballmer left MS is a willingness to correct mistakes.

Whether including was a good thing is something else. Of course it looks stupid now, but hindsight is 20/20. I would not have included it in the shape it launched (if it had been "look wow" in voice control, then yes) but I can see them making that bet - especially if they knew that they'd be supply-constrained at launch anyway.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2014, 02:54 PM

They've passed desperate.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
May 14, 2014, 01:15 PM

That would smack of desperation. MS is taking the long view, mostly wanting to show that they're still a player. In their mind, the consoles are now equal and it will come down to exclusives - a game MS won last gen.
IMHO, PS3 has much better exclusives than the XB360.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 14, 2014, 01:21 PM

What exactly is a successful game?
Great question. Do you count pack-ins? Do you consider budget? Do you consider the companies' usually lofty expectations? Do you consider the install base?

For a big name title, I don't think it's good. For a new IP, I think that's a very nice place to start. As a pack-in, that's probably not great. And considering MS and EA shelled out and promoted it, they're likely not happy.

What do you guys think? It sounds like 1 in 4 boners might have Titanfall.

P
May 14, 2014, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
IMHO, PS3 has much better exclusives than the XB360.
That is of course a matter of taste, but games like Mass Effect and Oblivion were massive games that only arrived much later on the PS3, while Sony lost exclusives like FF.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 14, 2014, 03:02 PM

Great question. Do you count pack-ins? Do you consider budget? Do you consider the companies' usually lofty expectations? Do you consider the install base?

For a big name title, I don't think it's good. For a new IP, I think that's a very nice place to start. As a pack-in, that's probably not great. And considering MS and EA shelled out and promoted it, they're likely not happy.

What do you guys think? It sounds like 1 in 4 boners might have Titanfall.
Yeah wonder what is measured (by EA) to decide if a Titanfall 2 should be produced, and for MS wonder what's measured to decide if they shell out those 'exclusivity dollars' for V2. Reckon that EA probably have the upper hand over MS, since to NOT produce for the PS4 will lose them X millions of customers.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 14, 2014, 03:12 PM

Yeah wonder what is measured (by EA) to decide if a Titanfall 2 should be produced, and for MS wonder what's measured to decide if they shell out those 'exclusivity dollars' for V2. Reckon that EA probably have the upper hand over MS, since to NOT produce for the PS4 will lose them X millions of customers.
Oh don't worry TF2 is coming. That was never a question. I doubt it was going to be locked up again but this should guarantee multi platform.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
May 15, 2014, 10:04 AM

That is of course a matter of taste, but games like Mass Effect and Oblivion were massive games that only arrived much later on the PS3, while Sony lost exclusives like FF.
Agreed it is a matter of taste. For multiplayer and massive multiplayer games, Microsoft probably has the edge. But with single player games, i think Sony had the advantage. God of War, Uncharted, Infamous, Killzone,
Metal gear, Ratchet & Clank, Last of Us, Shadow of the Colossus, etc.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 15, 2014, 10:10 AM

Mass Effect and Oblivion are single-player games.

P
May 15, 2014, 03:11 PM

Exactly, and matty's list is hit and miss. God of War, Ratchet & Clank and Metal Gear are all fine games, but they're games from series that were always exclusives. Killzone got so-so reviews, and it is mostly a response to Halo. The others are good, and Last of Us is one game I'd love to play, but for each of them there are other games of the same type, as good or better. MS did better with the timed exclusives, I think.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 15, 2014, 07:15 PM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 15, 2014, 07:18 PM

XBOX sales this month:
Xbox One: 115K
Xbox 360: 71K

No wonder kinect is going bye-bye.

P
May 16, 2014, 05:05 AM

AC in the French Revolution at least sounds interesting on paper.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2014, 09:56 AM

We might poke fun at the WiiU and Mario Kart 8, but it is one good looking game. (Not enough to get me to buy a WiiU).

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2014, 11:52 AM

Exactly, and matty's list is hit and miss.
You of course mean Hawkeye_a's list dear P. Nothing I do is hit and miss, I either hit, or I miss.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2014, 12:12 PM

XBOX sales this month:

I just got an email from MS saying that xbox Live gold membership will no longer be required to use entertainment apps like Netflix, YouTube etc. The Live update will take place in June. Get your refund now Dakar.

Xbox Live Gold refunds available when entertainment apps become free - GameSpot

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2014, 05:20 PM

XBOX sales this month:

Props to M$ for adapting to the situation, which is more than can be said for Nintendo and that stupid gamepad.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 20, 2014, 08:05 PM

A lot of people in the industry are pushing for a hybrid handheld Nintendo console that can interface with a television. I'm not sure if that's based on rumors they've heard, or if it's just a weird bandwagon movement, but I'm not sure if it could reverse Nintendo's fortunes.

I really, really, really wish they'd transition into a software company. I know they're terrified of being the next SEGA, but SEGA didn't have Nintendo's franchises. Imagine Smash Bros. sales if they were available on PS4/XB1. Or Pokemon on iPhone/iPad/Android. I recall their stock jumping at early rumors of iOS ventures — it's clearly what people want.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 21, 2014, 09:40 AM

Any interest in watch dogs? I feel like I've been hearing about the game for over a year and I just don't care any more. People have also been ripping on it, so it has the stink of delayed and isn't going to meet expectations all over it.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2014, 12:09 PM

Any interest in watch dogs? I feel like I've been hearing about the game for over a year and I just don't care any more. People have also been ripping on it, so it has the stink of delayed and isn't going to meet expectations all over it.
Watched a few gameplay vids, looks really good, but doesn't grab my attention like Wolfenstein.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 21, 2014, 12:13 PM

Wolfenstein flew completely under my radar.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 21, 2014, 12:17 PM

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2014, 12:27 PM

I haven't played a game, any game, since beginning of April, although I did log onto Battlelog the other night. Might do me good to play a brainless FPS game like Wolfenstein.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 21, 2014, 01:23 PM

...and the winner for most manufactured controversy goes to: Op-ed: It’s time for Nintendo to move beyond white characters | Ars Technica

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2014, 02:43 PM

Brainless FPS game Wolfenstein is being downloaded via Steam atm. Looks like it'll take a while, only getting 700kb/s :-(

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 21, 2014, 03:52 PM

Gamasutra - Zenimax officially sues Oculus over virtual reality tech

Zenimax Media and its subsidiary id Software filed a lawsuit in federal court today against Oculus VR founder Palmer Luckey and his company over what it claims is unlawful exploitation and infringement of its intellectual property.

“Intellectual property forms the foundation of our business,” stated Zenimax CEO Robert Altman in a press release announcing the suit, which was filed today in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas.

P
May 21, 2014, 05:57 PM

Same here, but reviews are good. Might pick it up.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
May 21, 2014, 06:26 PM

What year is this? Who makes a shooter that's single player only?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
May 21, 2014, 08:24 PM

For some reason this thread isn't show up in my User CP anymore. Will posting re-subscribe me?

Also plan on picking up Wolfenstein once it's on a Steam super sale - the game's creative director did an AMA a couple weeks ago.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
May 21, 2014, 08:32 PM

Also I haven't seen any talk here about Steam In-Home Streaming yet. Basically, any PCs on the same network running Steam can see each other. You can sit at a low-powered PC while playing a game running on a high-powered PC. As long as the PC you're sitting at has decent hardware H.264 decoding it's supposed to be pretty flawless.

Right now, the gaming PC in my basement isn't that much better than my iMac, but if I were to drop in a nice graphics card it could play just about any game. If I didn't want to bother firing up the theater room and just play from the iMac upstairs, I could do that. Or if I wanted to run something nice on the gaming PC while playing it on the arcade machine, that would work, too. Very interesting stuff.
( Last edited by Laminar; May 22, 2014 at 12:39 AM. )

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 21, 2014, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post
Forget BioShock Infinite last year?

Considering most multiplayer FPS games have mediocre SP, I'm cool with this.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
May 22, 2014, 12:45 AM

Forget BioShock Infinite last year?

Considering most multiplayer FPS games have mediocre SP, I'm cool with this.

P
May 22, 2014, 05:31 AM

The idea that every shooter must have a multiplayer mode is dying now. Also note Titanfall, which excludes the single player mode instead. I think what happened is that EA for a while pushed multiplayer modes into EVERYTHING, no matter how odd those modes might be - like the "Galactic Readiness" meter in Mass Effect 3, for instance. This was the brainchild of John Riccitiello, then CEO of EA, and when he resigned in disgrace, EA backed away from that as they did from many things he pushed. I think that those examples acted as a sort of Reductio ad Absurdum by showing how insane it could be to include MP modes in everything, therefore indicating that an SP only game was not only viable and possible, but often the logical choice.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2014, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post
From the gameplay vids that I've seen, I reckon it'll be more Borderlands-like than CoD or BF. Didn't I see something about co-op for Wolf? (can't see ANY game websites from work)

Forum Links
Forum Rules