Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Moo and HD temps

Moo and HD temps
zign
Forum Regular
May 15, 2006, 05:50 AM

Can people with and without the moo sounds tell what their hd temps are. Mine used to be mid 30s and no moo, but I accidentally dropped my mbp last night (slipped of my bed and landed on the side with screen open. landed on soft carpet). I thought that nothing happened, but this morning I noticed the moo and can hear it all the time now. Had my mbp for a month and never heard this sound. The hd temps are at 44C now. It used to idle with processor at 52C, but now it's up to 63C.

Should I go to AppleCare?

EDITED 1: One more thing! Eventhough the cpu temp are now showing at 62C, the rubber thing above the F-keys is barely warm, but used be hot before. Bottom of the laptop is just warm also. Weird.

EDITED 2: Ha! Reapplied the keyboard update - didn't help. Did the PMU reset and I am idling (safari and mail running only) with cpu at 47C now and hd at 34C. So I guess the issue has been resolved. The Cow is also gone.
( Last edited by zign; May 15, 2006 at 08:15 AM. )
15.4 MBP 2.33Ghz C2D, 3Gb, 120Gb HD, 256MB X1600, 10.5.1
iPhone 8GB
http://palitsyn.com

ibook_steve
May 15, 2006, 01:37 PM

Uhh...moo? Do you mean the whine? I've seen no reports of Powerbooks or MBPs sounding like cows.

Steve

zign  (op)
Forum Regular
May 15, 2006, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve
Uhh...moo? Do you mean the whine? I've seen no reports of Powerbooks or MBPs sounding like cows.

Steve
It sounds as if one of the fans is trying to spin up, but then desides not to. It's a WOOOOof sound, but does sound a lot like a cow It is gone now and everything is back to normal.
iPhone 8GB

zign  (op)
Forum Regular
May 15, 2006, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve

Steve
There have actually been quite a lot of reports of cows in macbooks
iPhone 8GB

pete
Mac Elite
May 15, 2006, 02:54 PM

It sounds like a muted cow, but still a cow... definitely the left fan that revs up and several times. On my MBP the cow starts mooing when the CPU reaches around 60C and then stops mooing if it goes beyond 63-65C. Very charming, but I'd prefer if this little cow would go somewhere else.

ibook_steve
May 15, 2006, 03:02 PM

Maybe it's Clarus making a return. Hee hee.

Steve

MacGobblin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 15, 2006, 03:06 PM

Here is the infamous MOO sound. Please do not ROTFL: FIRST REPEAT TO YOURSELF: THIS IS NOT FUNNY.

http://thelifesucks.com/files/mbp_right_fan.mp3

Lets hope we do not have to wait until the cows come home before it's fixed.

Elsie, go home.
( Last edited by MacGobblin; May 15, 2006 at 03:14 PM. )

pete
Mac Elite
May 15, 2006, 03:43 PM

Thank you for providing such a wonderfully clear recording of the cow(s?). Every time it happens I smile so I suppose I can live with that. The only concern I have is that there is actually something wrong with the fan...

zign  (op)
Forum Regular
May 15, 2006, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by pete
Thank you for providing such a wonderfully clear recording of the cow(s?). Every time it happens I smile so I suppose I can live with that. The only concern I have is that there is actually something wrong with the fan...
I only had it for a couple of hours after dropping my mbp. Reseting PMU helped. I read about the sound but this was the first time I heard it since I bought my mbp a month ago.
iPhone 8GB

Forum Links
Forum Rules