Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New Macbook Pro Firmware fixes heat issue

New Macbook Pro Firmware fixes heat issue
ryanbrown345
May 17, 2006, 10:37 PM

I just installed the new firmware now. I will post my results. But engadget is claiming it fixes the heat issue.

armyantz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2006, 10:49 PM

when I installed the new firmware, my fans kicked on to ultra speed. I actually heard them for a change! About the heat issue.... I really don't think a firmware update is going to fix much for that issue. But I will report that my whining noise is MUCH quieter after the update, although not all gone.

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
May 17, 2006, 11:04 PM

where can i find this firmware update? it doesnt show on my software update.
Computers:
Macbook Pro: 17in, 2.16Ghz, 120GB HD, 1.5 GB ram.
iBook G4: 1.07Ghz, 60GB HD, 756mb ram (on sale for parts)

SLam
May 17, 2006, 11:41 PM

It's the SMC Firmware update. http://www.apple.com/support/downloa...areupdate.html

Not sure if it works for the 17". I didn't notice much change after installing the firmware. First time in a very long while since I heard the fans kick in.
MacBook Pro 15" | 2 GB | 100 GB | 10.5.1stevelam.org

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
May 18, 2006, 12:00 AM

hmmm ok i will do some research and find out if its for the 17 in.
Computers:
Macbook Pro: 17in, 2.16Ghz, 120GB HD, 1.5 GB ram.
iBook G4: 1.07Ghz, 60GB HD, 756mb ram (on sale for parts)

ryanbrown345  (op)
May 18, 2006, 12:08 AM

The fans are actually woking. My macbook pro is finally a little cooler, it also seemed to have fixed my sleep issues as well!

armyantz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2006, 01:33 AM

wow I do have to admit, I've got my macbook on my bare legs with it plugged into a power source, and it is barely even warm! amazing! let's see if it will hold

phantomo
Dedicated MacNNer
May 18, 2006, 01:55 AM

apache2, is it MacBook or MacBook Pro you've got there?
15"MBP/C2D2.4GHz/4GB RAM/320GB HD
15"MBP/C2D2.16GHz/3GB RAM/250GB HD
12"PB/1GHz/768MB/60GB/SuperDrive/AE
iPhone 8GB/iPod video 30GB

armyantz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2006, 02:15 AM

phantomo: macbookpro. but now having it on for more than an hour... it has gotten a little warmer, but dear god it does seem cooler. the area above the function keys is much cooler and I can definitly stand to have the macbook pro on my bare legs atm.

I'll update with further notices once I determine if it just my imagination or not

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2006, 03:31 AM

My processor is showing the exact same 63C idle temp as before the update. No idea if the case feels less hot though - I think it's about the same. OTOH I always thought it could get very warm, but never so hot that I couldn't touch it.

eevyl
Grizzled Veteran
May 18, 2006, 03:40 AM

Placebo!

zign
Forum Regular
May 18, 2006, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by eevyl
Placebo!
I agree. Someone says it's hot and everyone starts talknig about not being able to work with it on their lap.
Now, someone says that temperatures dropped 10C and all of a sudden we can all use mbps on our lap.

Sure, when you just switch it on it is cool but just as it was before.

I never had a problem with using it on my lap but I hardly ever do anyway, except when I wake in the morning and am feeling a little lazy or when I am on a train. All those times mbp is cold having been in a sleep mode, and it takes some time to heat up. Even when it rises up to 54-56, I can hardly feel it through my jeans. Warm - yes, Hot - no.
15.4 MBP 2.33Ghz C2D, 3Gb, 120Gb HD, 256MB X1600, 10.5.1
iPhone 8GB
http://palitsyn.com

Poogy
May 18, 2006, 01:15 PM

Just a note: I'm running the new firmware AND CoreDuoTemp, and my CPU temp is at 63C, with CPU usage at only 13%, and clockspeed throttled to 1333Mhz. The firmware upgrade does NOT seem to have made my machine any cooler.

Also: CoreDuoTemp appears to indicate that using the mirror widget to fix the whine doesn't increasing CPU draw significantly. CPU speed increases when launching and killing the widget, but settles down and runs at lower speeds afterwards.

rhodesy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2006, 01:23 PM

well mine seems a little cooler along the left speaker but the bar above the function jkeys is still untouchable and is still very uncomfortable on my jeans...

My mbp is so hot that the glue that sticks the metal to the battery has become useless - am taking it into the repair center tomorrow to have the solve a lot of problems my macs had

Enigmaaron
Forum Regular
May 18, 2006, 01:24 PM

Am I the only one that sees the fact that the processor can stay the same temp and yet the case is cooler? The hotfix could very well have adjusted how the fans operate so they more efficiently dissipate heat out the back of the laptop as hot air instead of through the case into everyone's oh so sensitive legs.

A true test would measure the surface temperature at various locations on the exterior of the MacBook Pro before and after applying the update.

Poogy
May 18, 2006, 01:34 PM

You could be right, and I haven't tried putting the laptop on my legs. (Feels with hands...) No, it still feels hot as heck. If it's better, it's only a little better.

My main worry is the CPU, though. 143 degrees fahrenheit just seems to bloody hot to me. If re-gooping will get that temp down, I'm ready to try it.

thegooglemaven
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2006, 02:14 PM

Hallo every one,

Just like to share my experience and see if anyone has the same problem. After the SMC update, the "moo" (used to be intermitten) noise is constant now and loud right from the bootup. It used to be annoying when the moo comes on once in a while. Now it is just downright frustrating because it is always there...

regards,

pete
Mac Elite
May 18, 2006, 02:42 PM

At first I thought that the firmware made a big difference, but I am beginning to think that it had to do with difference in ambient temperature. My impression now is that when running at full throttle, the fans are more efficient than they used to be and therefore control the temperature of the case better. In everyday use, however, the temperature seems to be roughly the same for me, which is too hot.

kiskynet
May 18, 2006, 02:58 PM

Definitly seems cooler to me. I'm now idling along around 50C under light use instead of 60C - 65C. The fans seem to be on a little more but nothing too noisy. Theres noticeably more hot air being blow out the vents.
Treasuremytext.com :: Save your text messages online ::

Kermy
May 18, 2006, 03:22 PM

I haven't installed it yet but one thing I'm worried about is the CPU speeds. Could Apple have reduced how high the CPU goes under intensive loads to keep the temp down?
Powerbook G4 12" Combo

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2006, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Kermy
I haven't installed it yet but one thing I'm worried about is the CPU speeds. Could Apple have reduced how high the CPU goes under intensive loads to keep the temp down?
My CPU still jumps to its full 2.0GHz as soon as I put it under load. Just like it did before the firmware and SMC updates.

ksloan2
May 18, 2006, 03:34 PM

It does not fix the heat issue completely, but it is a step in the right direction. I can actually keep my finger on the metal above the F keys now, but it's still damn hot (but not burning hot).

pete
Mac Elite
May 18, 2006, 03:45 PM

At almost no load at all (10%) my CPU is now 58C and HDD 46C. I don't care much about the CPU but the temp of the HDD means that the left palmrest is very warm, which I find uncomfortable. It's not hot, but warm enough to be less than comfortable. The right palmrest is of course much cooler.

As for the CPU speed. According to CoreDuoTemp it throttles down to 1333mhz and then, when I work on something more demanding it goes to full speed. Doesn't seem to be a problem. I wish it would go all the way down to 1000mhz since that would bring the temperature down further.

villalobos
Mac Elite
May 23, 2006, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by eevyl
Placebo!
Nope much much cooler in my case. Also no more whine. I just realized that after upgrading several days ago. Excellent.
Battery does not last as long it seem though.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
May 23, 2006, 07:57 AM

The SMC update cannot make the computer run cooler, its software, and the issue is hardware. The update could have updated the temp tables to determine when the fans kick in and that could cause the laptops to run cooler.

I've seen this with apple frequently an update (doesn't have to be firmware) alters the logic of when the fans start. sometimes decreasing the threshold, sometimes increasing it.
~Mike

bernt
Forum Regular
May 23, 2006, 09:52 AM

From www.increw.com / www.hardmac.com:
"The latest SMC update had the folowing consequences: a higher rotation speed for the fans; the CPU's temperature down from 5 to 10C; the voltage of the CPU was modified; and the cooling system's temperature threshold was lowered, with cooler but noisier machines as a consequence."
PowerBook 15" 1.25G/1G/80G | iMac G5 17" 1.6G/1.5G/300G | MacBook Pro 15" CD2.0G/1.5G/120G | MacBook C2D 2.2G/4G/160G

zign
Forum Regular
May 23, 2006, 09:56 AM

I did agree with eevyl's "Placebo!" post at first, but I must say - it is actually running cooler. When idling, the temps can now drop as low as 41C.
15.4 MBP 2.33Ghz C2D, 3Gb, 120Gb HD, 256MB X1600, 10.5.1
iPhone 8GB
http://palitsyn.com

eevyl
Grizzled Veteran
May 23, 2006, 10:34 AM

Could be, maybe my machine didn't had the extreme heat problems other had, so the fix didn't fix that much. (to note that I have not applied the thermal paste fix)

villalobos
Mac Elite
May 23, 2006, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Maflynn
The SMC update cannot make the computer run cooler, its software, and the issue is hardware. The update could have updated the temp tables to determine when the fans kick in and that could cause the laptops to run cooler.
So which is it? Emphasis mine.

Forum Links
Forum Rules