Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MBP screen blurred spots and stuck pixels (UK)

MBP screen blurred spots and stuck pixels (UK)
zign
Forum Regular
Jan 30, 2007, 09:39 AM

About two months ago I noticed 3 blurred dark spots (5*5 pixels roughly each) in the middle of the screen. You can only see them on a light background. I also have 2 stuck pixels in the top right corner. Again noticeable on a light background only. And another problem is a light line 3cm long in the middle of the screen viewable on dark backgrounds (looks like as if some slid a finger across the screen).

Has anyone had similar problems?

I don't have applecare but I am still in the first year. Would I be able to get this fixed? I am based in London and was thinking of going to a genius bar at Regents Street Store. Would they charge me to fix this and how long do you think it would take them to fix it?
15.4 MBP 2.33Ghz C2D, 3Gb, 120Gb HD, 256MB X1600, 10.5.1
iPhone 8GB
http://palitsyn.com

jdrumstik
Jan 31, 2007, 08:42 PM

blurred spots should be under your standard one year warranty. As far as stuck pixels, try this, their are others too. Its Java so it will work on your machine

SourceForge.net: Files

zign  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 1, 2007, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by jdrumstik View Post
blurred spots should be under your standard one year warranty. As far as stuck pixels, try this, their are others too. Its Java so it will work on your machine

SourceForge.net: Files
So, if I went to an apple store, they would be able to fix this for me? I understand that they would just replace the screen. I am not that worried about the stuck pixels, as the don't really bother me, but the horizontal line and the spots are just really annoying.

Oh, and if they do switch the display, do you think I could ask for a glossy screen? i believe they cost the same.
iPhone 8GB

jdrumstik
Feb 1, 2007, 02:27 PM

I'd be careful asking for a glossy screen. You might send out a vibe that you damaged the screen yourself in order to get a glossy.

zign  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 1, 2007, 08:40 PM

I'd be careful asking for a glossy screen. You might send out a vibe that you damaged the screen yourself in order to get a glossy.
I am not even sure if it is possible to get these spots on purpose I have seen some posts on the internet about dust getting under the screen. Maybe that's what I have. If they tell me that my screen needs to be replaced I might as well ask for a glossy
iPhone 8GB

jdrumstik
Feb 2, 2007, 11:46 AM

I'm just saying that you should be tactful.

zign  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 2, 2007, 12:09 PM

I'm just saying that you should be tactful.
OK! I will

Thanks!
iPhone 8GB

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2007, 01:49 AM

Does anyone know Apple's official policy on pixel defects? I dropped my MacBook Pro off at an Apple Store today for repair. The Genius noted that its screen had at least 5 pixel defects, but even so, he could not guarantee that AppleCare would replace the screen.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2007, 03:13 AM

Apple's Policy on dead/stuck pixels seems to be one of how badly you bitch about them. The more fuss you make about them, the more likely they are to fix your product.
Linkinus is king.

Forum Links
Forum Rules