Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Apple replaced my MBP

Apple replaced my MBP
zign
Forum Regular
Mar 9, 2007, 12:58 PM

Apple replaced my 15.4 MBP 2.0Ghz CD, 2Gb, 100Gb HD, 256MB X1600 with 15.4 MBP 2.33Ghz C2D, 2Gb, 120Gb HD, 256MB X1600.

I had it sincec last April but it lately I started having screen problems (4 grey spot, white line and 4 dead pixels). Took it to Apple Store last thursday and had it back with a new screen on friday. Worked fine until this monday when I got vertical lines and one horizontal. Took it in and the screen replaced the same day, but when I went to pick it up it turned out that the machine won't go to sleep or stay on for longer than 5 minutes. Received a call from Apple today and was told that the logic board was damaged during the second repair and the new one with all the data transferred from the old one is waiting for me at the store.

Two repairs and a replacement in one week!! Amazing!!!
15.4 MBP 2.33Ghz C2D, 3Gb, 120Gb HD, 256MB X1600, 10.5.1
iPhone 8GB
http://palitsyn.com

Xarthan
Mar 9, 2007, 01:58 PM

congrats!
Macbook Pro 2.16 C2D | 2GB | 160 HD
Mac Pro 3.0 | 4GB | 1.5 TB | 30" ACD

zign  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 9, 2007, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Xarthan View Post
congrats!
Thank you!!! I am on it right now. Seems perfect, fingers crossed
iPhone 8GB

earthlings
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 9, 2007, 03:42 PM

They replaced it for free?

asodamiac
Senior User
Mar 9, 2007, 10:24 PM

Wow, they really sped up things for you!

Are you a PRO member by any chance?
15" Powerbook G4 | 1.67, 1.5gb, 128VRAM, SD
20" iMac | 2.66, 2gb, HD 2600
Dell 2408WFP

zign  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 10, 2007, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by earthlings View Post
They replaced it for free?
Yes!!!
iPhone 8GB

zign  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 10, 2007, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by asodamiac View Post
Wow, they really sped up things for you!

Are you a PRO member by any chance?
No, I was within the first year of warranty. I now have one more year.
iPhone 8GB

tcphoto
Mar 10, 2007, 10:45 AM

It's like seeing a Unicorn. Unfortunetly, my experience with Apple is quite the opposite.

earthlings
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 10, 2007, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by zign View Post
Yes!!!
Sweet.

I wish they replaced my old pb with a new macbook back in January. But that was wishful thinking and it was out of warenty.
( Last edited by earthlings; Mar 10, 2007 at 03:46 PM. )

timmerk
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2007, 10:37 PM

I did not know they repaired laptops at the Apple Store? They told me they ship it to Apple for repairs always. Do some stores offer instore repair?

Thanks!

nate_02
Senior User
Mar 13, 2007, 12:05 AM

Better luck than I had...I sent my PowerBook in a few weeks ago on a Monday night to have the logic board replaced becasue one of my RAM slots wasn't registering. They received it on Tuesday, repaired it, and shipped it back. Then, DHL decided to ship my laptop to a Dell service center (yeah, Dell!) instead of sending it back to me, and it took them two weeks to retrieve it. I guess the problem really was DHL and not Apple though.

By the way, Milwaukee needs a bigger Apple Store so they can do repairs in house. They don't even stock computers in our store anymore because it's so small.
-nate

earthlings
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 13, 2007, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by timmerk View Post
I did not know they repaired laptops at the Apple Store? They told me they ship it to Apple for repairs always. Do some stores offer instore repair?

Thanks!

The genius bar guys checked it out, then they sent it to the guys in California I believe.

papadopolis
Forum Regular
Mar 13, 2007, 09:07 PM

ya imo apple has the best tech support and phone support in the world........ some people disagree but i have had to put up with some of the worst tech support people ever...........

solofx7
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2007, 12:35 AM

Apple replaced my 15.4 MBP 2.0Ghz CD, 2Gb, 100Gb HD, 256MB X1600 with 15.4 MBP 2.33Ghz C2D, 2Gb, 120Gb HD, 256MB X1600.

I had it sincec last April but it lately I started having screen problems (4 grey spot, white line and 4 dead pixels). Took it to Apple Store last thursday and had it back with a new screen on friday. Worked fine until this monday when I got vertical lines and one horizontal. Took it in and the screen replaced the same day, but when I went to pick it up it turned out that the machine won't go to sleep or stay on for longer than 5 minutes. Received a call from Apple today and was told that the logic board was damaged during the second repair and the new one with all the data transferred from the old one is waiting for me at the store.

Two repairs and a replacement in one week!! Amazing!!!
i love owning a mac...
my Powerbook G4 17 had a couple of problems about the 1.5 year mark and my local store after a couple of issues replaced it with a C2D.
at that point i got the 3yr warranty and life is grand...
there are grey spots on the screen, but i will look into those later..
as they come and go...

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 14, 2007, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by timmerk View Post

Thanks!
It depends on the Apple Store. Some have service centers in the back for easily repariable parts (like HDDs, RAM, cards, etc.) I think major repairs like LCDs, motherboards, etc. always get sent out. I don't work at an Apple store, so I can't say for sure. That's what the Genius guy told me.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

zign  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 14, 2007, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
It depends on the Apple Store. Some have service centers in the back for easily repariable parts (like HDDs, RAM, cards, etc.) I think major repairs like LCDs, motherboards, etc. always get sent out. I don't work at an Apple store, so I can't say for sure. That's what the Genius guy told me.
In London's Regents Street Store they repair everything in store. This is how they were able to exchange the screen in about 5 hours. Of course they did damage the logic board
iPhone 8GB

earthlings
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 15, 2007, 05:22 PM

In London's Regents Street Store they repair everything in store. This is how they were able to exchange the screen in about 5 hours. Of course they did damage the logic board
Wish they did that at my Apple store here in the states.

Forum Links
Forum Rules