Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > White MacBook updated to (almost) unibody spec

White MacBook updated to (almost) unibody spec
ajprice
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2009, 07:42 AM

http://www.engadget.com/2009/01/21/a...unibody-specs/

RAM is DDR2 not DDR3 but the rest is similar now. Checked the UK site and its still the old spec, so not sure when this happened, or if its a site booboo or for real.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

zerock
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 21, 2009, 07:49 AM

now if only some mac mini update comes ...

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2009, 10:54 AM

the white macbook lives! (and can take 4gigs of ram now..).
so it's not being retired yet, after all..
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 21, 2009, 10:54 AM

That's weird. I wonder if it still has FireWire on it.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2009, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
it's exactly the same in all other details (so yes, still firewire)...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.

MallyMal
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 21, 2009, 11:03 AM

I was wondering the same thing but can't find confirmation on the site. FireWire isn't mentioned in any of the specs though. If they are using the same logic boards as the Al one then FireWire is gone. I doubt the they would maintain two separate logic boards just for white MacBook.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 21, 2009, 11:06 AM

AppleInsider is claiming that it does indeed still have FireWire. If that's true (and if this isn't all just a typo on Apple's site), then we've basically got all the benefits of the new motherboard, the NVidia 9400M GPU, and FireWire, all for $999... this is going to be a great little machine. I bet it sells like hotcakes.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

ChrisF
Senior User
Jan 21, 2009, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by MallyMal View Post
I was wondering the same thing but can't find confirmation on the site. FireWire isn't mentioned in any of the specs though.
Firewire is listed as one of the ports on the computer.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2009, 11:08 AM

It does still have FireWire: http://www.apple.com/macbook/white/specs.html

EDIT: Beaten.

Originally Posted by CharlesS
AppleInsider is claiming that it does indeed still have FireWire. If that's true (and if this isn't all just a typo on Apple's site), then we've basically got all the benefits of the new motherboard, the NVidia 9400M GPU, and FireWire, all for $999... this is going to be a great little machine. I bet it sells like hotcakes.
No kidding. The $1,299 aluminum MacBook is totally not $300 better than this one. The spec differences are virtually nonexistent. You get a 120 GB vs. a 160 GB hard drive, but you can upgrade that to 320 GB for $70 (NewEgg).

The $1,599 model is a fair bit faster, but what else does it really have? Seems 400 extra MHz and an illuminated keyboard isn't quite worth $600. $300, maybe, but we've already established that the $1,299 MacBook is only barely better than the $999 one.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

MallyMal
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 21, 2009, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
Firewire is listed as one of the ports on the computer.
I stand corrected. Now, since Apple apparently has logic boards with FireWire on them one has to wonder why are they still leaving it out on the AL ones.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2009, 11:28 AM

if this thing had a matte screen i might just like this machine more than my 12" powerbook (still the best Mac I've ever owned and can't believe I sold it).
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

ibook_steve
Jan 21, 2009, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by MallyMal View Post
I stand corrected. Now, since Apple apparently has logic boards with FireWire on them one has to wonder why are they still leaving it out on the AL ones.
Because the aluminum Macbooks are a completely different design with a completely different case. You can't squeeze an old main logic board (MLB) (or updated old MLB as is the case here) into a completely different case.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 21, 2009, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Luca Rescigno View Post
No kidding. The $1,299 aluminum MacBook is totally not $300 better than this one. The spec differences are virtually nonexistent. You get a 120 GB vs. a 160 GB hard drive, but you can upgrade that to 320 GB for $70 (NewEgg).
Oh, definitely. Alternatively, if you don't need the extra space, you could get a 128 GB solid-state drive on Newegg for under $300. And either way, you could sell the old hard drive on eBay and recoup some of the price, making it an even cheaper upgrade. Who cares what hard drive comes with it when you have upgrade options such as these.

I fear that the unibody MacBook may become the new Cube........

darkmatter
Forum Regular
Jan 21, 2009, 11:38 AM

Does the motherboard supports DDR3?
This is a great upgrade, a black option would be great.
The upgrade may be the response to the market share that was lost, now maybe in favor of Acer
I'm not sure but the LCD quality may be one of the differences between the Al and white Macbooks

Best Regards

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2009, 11:48 AM

I fear that the unibody MacBook may become the new Cube........
I don't know about that... nice as it is that they updated the white MacBooks, do you really think they'll discontinue the aluminum ones and keep the plastic ones around? I just can't imagine Apple still selling plastic MacBooks in one year.

On the other hand, if they do eventually kill off the plastic ones, how will they keep the price reasonable? People complained enough about the old $1,099 entry price; $1,299 would be way too high. But if they're selling essentially the same hardware in a new case for $300 more, I'm not sure how they'll get that price low enough.

Perhaps the unibody MacBooks will become the new 12" PowerBook. The poor 12" PB had a beautiful form factor, but sadly it was always crippled compared to the larger PowerBooks and always seemed to have more in common with the iBooks. The unibody MacBooks may have the same problem - they're priced in between the old MB and the MBPs, but they're really very similar to the plastic MBs.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 21, 2009, 11:52 AM

They're actually less than the plastic MBs since they lack the "high-end feature" of the FireWire port, which the cheaper models have.

I dunno, if no one buys the unibody MacBooks, Apple may have no choice but to backtrack on this one. As for the Cube, i say:

- Expecting people to pay top-dollar for a snazzier case? Check.

- Less expandable than the less expensive model? Check.

- Introduced in a bad economy? Check.

Cube.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2009, 11:53 AM

The point has been made that the screens in the unibody models are much better than the ones in the plastic MacBooks. Probably the biggest technical difference.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2009, 12:09 PM

i'm glad i went with the unibody macbook (2.4g); it's smaller, lighter than the whitebook (and faster ram); better screen (at any rate, brighter and sharper).

still, the whitebook is a great deal.

charlesS: you doubted my word on firewire? LOL

irez: i used to feel the same (as u know); but, after about a month now, the new macbook is now my fave mac notebook ever (replacing my former fave, the 12"); it's small enough, light enough; better screen, less heat, faster (a lot); love the backlit keys too...

shrugs*
Jan 21, 2009, 01:14 PM

Unibody Macbook = closest thing we're getting to a 12" Pbook replacement. I think it'll still thrive.

When I purchased my White Macbook in late 07, I would've absolutely spent the extra few bucks for an aluminum body and marginally better display (had it been available).
Macbook Pro + Sawtooth

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 21, 2009, 01:21 PM

White MacBook updated to (better than) unibody spec
Fixed.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 21, 2009, 02:15 PM

$300 buys
• LED-backlit screen
• larger glass trackpad with gestures
1066 MHz FSB faster DDR3 RAM
• more disk
• half a pound less weight
• half an hour more battery life
• much sexier case

So for people who don't care about FW the unibody offers plenty. They're here to stay. This update was about Snow Leopard (read 2 GB base RAM and 9400M GT GPU) and not about Apple backtracking.
( Last edited by Simon; Jan 22, 2009 at 03:58 AM. Reason: fixed stupid mistake)

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2009, 02:21 PM

Jeez, Steve leaves for 5 minutes and already their product line is in shambles...

Edit for non-snarkiness:

I don't consider myself a "pro" user, and I am seriously considering picking one up to replace my 15", 1.67 GHz PowerBook G4. My plan had been to wait another year before upgrading.
( Last edited by SpaceMonkey; Jan 21, 2009 at 02:33 PM. )

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Urkel
Jan 21, 2009, 02:28 PM

$999 for a 2.0ghz, 2GB, FireWire enabled Macbook may even make this an even "better" machine than the $1299 Unibody. Sure, the Unibody has some advantages but DD3 mem costs 3x more than DDR2, 160GB is still a throwaway size, and a stronger aluminum chassis doesn't necessarily mean the old plastic ones were flimsy.

I'm not saying anyone should skip the Aluminum and get the white. I'm just saying that if you're shopping for a Macbook now then it's not nearly as easy as it was to write off the White Macbook. (especially if it came in black)
( Last edited by Urkel; Jan 21, 2009 at 09:31 PM. )

Voch
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2009, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
$300 buys <snip>
Thanks, Simon...I needed the reassurance. I ordered my refurb unibody 2.4Ghz Monday and it's in transit now...

Actually...I wanted the fastest 13" available because this'll be my machine for a few years so I'm very cool with my $1399 purchase. I'm hoping the LED-backlit screen is as nice as everyone is saying it is (my only gripe with my current MB's screen is its dimness compared to my external Dell display). I'm also looking forward to the supposed USB speed bump as I use external USB hard drives for backups.

Voch
( Last edited by Voch; Jan 21, 2009 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Added USB comment)

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 21, 2009, 03:18 PM

Do mini dv - DP dongles exist? what I´m getting to is the mini dv equiped laptops doomed for newer Apple monitors?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 21, 2009, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by polendo View Post
Do mini dv - DP dongles exist? what I´m getting to is the mini dv equiped laptops doomed for newer Apple monitors?
That is most likely going to be the case. A dongle that connects MDVI to MDP physically is not enough. The ACD would have to support DP's DVI passthrough which means they would internally need to be able to process and convert the DVI signal. Since the screens are intended to match MDP-enabled Macs it's highly doubtful that Apple added the extra circuitry (extra cost). The situation is somewhat similar to VGA on the DVI ACDs. Although you can put a VGA signal on a DVI cable, the DVI ACDs still wouldn't be able to display it.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2009, 04:05 PM

Personally I still think the unibody model is superior to the refurb and white MB, but too each his own.
~Mike

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 21, 2009, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by fisherKing View Post
the white macbook lives! (and can take 4gigs of ram now..).
The white MacBook has been able to address 4GB of RAM since the late 2007 revision.

darkmatter
Forum Regular
Jan 21, 2009, 04:36 PM

The Macbook white has 1066MHz frontside bus

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2009, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by darkmatter View Post
The Macbook white has 1066MHz frontside bus
Yes. The difference is that the RAM in the aluminum one is faster. But they have the same speed frontside bus.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 21, 2009, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by darkmatter View Post
Does the motherboard supports DDR3?
No.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2009, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
The white MacBook has been able to address 4GB of RAM since the late 2007 revision.
i knew that, of course...and was just testing to see if YOU knew it...

Geofries
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 21, 2009, 11:56 PM

Wow. If they put it in black again I'm buying ASAP.

I wonder what the chances are...

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2009, 12:44 AM

Was black really that much cooler? I always loved iBooks and MacBooks because they weren't black like every other laptop.
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

Urkel
Jan 22, 2009, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by Mac User #001 View Post
Was black really that much cooler? I always loved iBooks and MacBooks because they weren't black like every other laptop.
I'm not trying to slam anyone who likes white, but there are a good number of reasons people prefer black:

- Not all Mac users like to draw attention
- If not properly maintained White gets yellowish discoloration
- White looks great in a prestine lab, the Apple Store or on an Imperial Star Destroyer. But in public it just doesn't look as good as you were hoping.
- Most "professionals" or adults don't want to draw attention at meetings or Starbucks
- White looks _________ (Whats the politically correct way to say 'effeminate?')
- Black is the new Black

Anyway, I own a unibody MBP now so white and black don't matter to me anymore. But IF i would buy a Macbook I'd even take black over aluminum.
( Last edited by Urkel; Jan 22, 2009 at 10:36 AM. )

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2009, 01:25 AM

Oh.
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

Nergol
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 22, 2009, 02:24 AM

- White looks great in a prestine lab, the Apple Store or on an Imperial Star Destroyer. But in public it just doesn't look as good as you were hoping.
Snappy quote props.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 22, 2009, 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
- Most "professionals" or adults don't want to draw attention at meetings or Starbucks
Most "professionals" I know just use whatever gets the ****ing job done.

I did buy the black, though, because I really don't like the feel of the white plastic.

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 22, 2009, 03:18 AM

This upgrade is awesome. I never expected Apple would upgrade the white MacBook but would simply discontinue it around April. Now I think it'll be around a good long time.

Geofries
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 22, 2009, 09:09 AM

It doesn't stain like the white one.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 22, 2009, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Geofries View Post
It doesn't stain like the white one.
Are you talking about the black? Cuz I find that the black shows the wear on the palmrests quite obviously. It's less obvious with the white, but still can be noticeable.

As for the staining, I've only ever noticed that with the defective MacBook case, but then Apple fixed the plastic formulation.

Anyways, the argument is moot, because the black is not coming back.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jan 22, 2009, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Anyways, the argument is moot, because the black is not coming back.
Becareful when you write something on here, we never thought the white macbook would get an actual gpu after the alu mb's were released did we?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 22, 2009, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by iREZ View Post
Becareful when you write something on here, we never thought the white macbook would get an actual gpu after the alu mb's were released did we?
No we didn't, but somehow the black coming back seemed much less likely than updates to the MacBook White, at least to me.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jan 22, 2009, 03:50 PM

I'll give you that...

fisherking: yeah I feel ya man. The more I play with my buds Alu MB the more I realize how nice it is but you have to admit having fw (even if it replaced one of the usb ports) would've made an already nice computer a no brainer.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jan 22, 2009, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by iREZ View Post
I'll give you that...

fisherking: yeah I feel ya man. The more I play with my buds Alu MB the more I realize how nice it is but you have to admit having fw (even if it replaced one of the usb ports) would've made an already nice computer a no brainer.
are you kidding? i ranted and raved on this forum (and at apple's forums) NONSTOP for weeks about the removal of firewire...was about to buy a macbook and an apogee duet (FW audio); still...i really love this book; the size is great, feels light, screen is much better than the 12" pb (glossy notwithstanding), love the backlit keys, the speed...

my PERFECT mac would be this, with a smaller footprint (less bezel around the screen, less space around the keyboard), matte screen, FIREWIRE...something like that.

for now, this mac will do just fine...

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 23, 2009, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
No we didn't, but somehow the black coming back seemed much less likely than updates to the MacBook White, at least to me.
The black MacBook was a ridiculously popular model that made Apple a lot of money (especially considering the "black tax" was pure profit). Why on earth would Apple ever want to bring that back?

Brien
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2009, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by Geofries View Post
Wow. If they put it in black again I'm buying ASAP.

I wonder what the chances are...
You could probably (at least try) a case swap.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 23, 2009, 12:26 AM

The black MacBook was a ridiculously popular model that made Apple a lot of money (especially considering the "black tax" was pure profit). Why on earth would Apple ever want to bring that back?
That might actually make sense, if it weren't for the little fact that Apple decided to keep the white and scrap the black.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 23, 2009, 03:12 AM

sarcasm |ˈsärˌkazəm|
noun
the use of irony to mock or convey contempt : his voice, hardened by sarcasm, could not hide his resentment. See note at wit .
ORIGIN mid 16th cent.: from French sarcasme, or via late Latin from late Greek sarkasmos, from Greek sarkazein ‘tear flesh,’ in late Greek ‘gnash the teeth, speak bitterly’ (from sarx, sark- ‘flesh’ ).

Chinasaur
Senior User
Jan 23, 2009, 09:34 PM

I'm soooo tempted.... Although, when these things start hitting the Refurb'd section they will be an even more screamin' deal.... I plan on keeping my next MacBook for a few years and I'm thinking the Aluminum body can only help me get there in better shape..

I have a 2006 era WhiteBook™ with the cracked plastic. I would assume that Apple™ long since eradicated the lifting upper left edge and cracked plastic on the White MacBooks?

TIA!
iMac - Late 2015 iMac, 32GB RAM
MacBook - 2010 MacBook, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM

Forum Links
Forum Rules