Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PS3, Wii or XB360

View Poll Results: Which ones would it have to be ?
Poll Options:
Sony PlayStation 3 203 votes (32.02%)
Nintendo Wii 329 votes (51.89%)
Microsoft XBox 360 213 votes (33.60%)
None 34 votes (5.36%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 634. You may not vote on this poll
PS3, Wii or XB360 (Page 194)
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 25, 2011, 11:26 AM

Friday News: Avalanche Edition

NPD: Guitar Hero 3 is this generation's highest-grossing game | Joystiq
Top 10 Best-Selling Games of "This Generation" (By Gross Sales)

Guitar Hero 3: Legends of Rock
Call of Duty: Black Ops
Wii Fit
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
Rock Band
Wii Play (with Wii Remote)
Guitar Hero: World Tour
Wii Fit Plus
Mario Kart (with wheel)
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
For those of you keeping track at home:
Activision: 5
Nintendo: 4 (Three including bundled hardware)
EA: 1

I think a breakdown by console would be more interesting.

Homefront debuts at #6 on Xbox Live charts | Joystiq
Xbox 360 Top LIVE Titles (based on UU’s)
1 Call of Duty: Black Ops
2 Modern Warfare 2
3 Halo: Reach
4 FIFA Soccer 11
5 NBA 2K11
6 Homefront
7 GTA IV
8 Dragon Age 2
9 Battlefield: Bad Co. 2
10 Call of Duty 4
11 Call of Duty: WaW
12 Gears of War 2
13 Halo 3
14 Red Dead Redemption
15 Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood
16 NHL 11
17 Madden NFL 11
18 Forza Motorsport 3
19 MARVEL VS. CAPCOM 3
20 Fallout: New Vegas
I have a feeling it's going to plummet from here on out.

Dragon Age 2 writer responds to complaint about BioWare neglecting 'straight male' demographic | Joystiq
Stupid story that's been getting a ton of play.

Kotaku, the Gamer’s Guide
Since I just mentioned that this game seemed dead.

3DS region block confirmed, US won't even read JP games- Destructoid

Nintendo 3DS raw materials cost $101, says firm- Destructoid

"Most video game people have read one book and seen one movie in their life, which is Lord of the Rings and Aliens or variations of that," he had said. "There's great things in that, but you need some variety."

At the time he and his team at Irrational Games were a half-year way from releasing BioShock, a first-person shooter set in a failed underwater utopia rusted with Ayn Rand Objectivism, a philosophy of exclusionary excellence that had failed the sunk city.

"Look, I just steal from other sources," he freely admitted.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Mar 25, 2011, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Yeah, Ctrl-Alt-Del has a comic strip about it.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 25, 2011, 04:46 PM

I've been taking advantage of my day off by playing four straight hours of Top Spin 4. I was a big fan of TS3, but this one is an improvement in every possible way.

I don't know how many of you have even a passing interest in tennis, but it's definitely one of the best sports games of the year. I'd put it right behind FIFA and perhaps even with NBA 2K12. I just don't know if it has the legs that 2K12 does.

Also, it's weird seeing "Dakar" pop up constantly (there's at least one tournament in Dakar, Senegal, and a special "mystery challenge" by someone from there).

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 28, 2011, 02:32 PM

NPD acts wankish, blocks media from seeing sales figures- Destructoid
For those who don't know, the NPD collects sales data of videogames and consoles in North America. It's been a valuable tool for those who want to know how the industry's shaping up, but the NPD is doing all it can to hide its data.

Previously, the NPD had stopped sharing sales figures, but it's now gone one step further and is no longer letting analysts give that data to the game press. In short -- nobody but a privileged few are allowed to see how well a videogame is selling, and that few is not allowed to tell the common folk. Only publishers are allowed to release their figures if they so choose to do so. Unsurprisingly, most of 'em aren't doing it.

This is absolutely ridiculous, of course. As our own Nick Chester pointed out, box office figures are freely available, as are television ratings and music sales. The game industry constantly pulls this cloak-and-dagger bullshit, and it's gotten beyond pathetic. I'm guessing the NPD is being pressured by publishers into doing this, because I see no logical reason for a sales data organization to not release its sales data, other than for companies to feel like they have even more control over the market.
Guess the economy finally caught up with them. Pussies.

Sony v. Hotz: mismatched serial numbers and sealed manuals
"Now, SCEA claims that Mr. Hotz must have created a PSN account for the name 'blickmaniac' because the serial number of one of the four Playstation Computers that Mr. Hotz purchased—including 3 Playstation Computers that were purchased used—was used to register a PSN account," the filing stated. Except that serial number is problematic, as Sony claimed the serial number is "CG221368477-CECH-4489."

Hotz' counsel also included a comment from his blog with another individual claiming responsibility for the account. "Guys, this is all a misunderstanding. That console that Sony talks about is mine and the PSN account was created by me!!! See, I live next door to George Hotz and we've always been good friends," the individual explained. "At the time I bought the console, I was waiting to be connected to the internet by my ISP so I asked Hotz if I could use his for a while. Good neighbors, that's all." He also added a very nice message telling Sony to "suck this," with the "S" in Sony replaced by a dollar sign. A fine rhetorical trick, often utilized in the comments to many compelling news stories.

So what evidence does Sony have that the serial number it has is the right one? The documents only stated that the serial number belonged to George Hotz, and then the attorney explained that the system in question was purchased at a GameStop near Hotz' residence, and the account was set up via an IP address that likewise is located near Hotz. So far no one has offered a receipt from either Hotz or the store proving that Hotz bought the system on a specific day, which would confirm the serial number.

The PlayStation Network account has multiple fields for identification that need to be filled out, and Sony has yet to share what those fields said exactly, only that the account's tag was also used by a person who posted on an Internet forum about a cell phone being unlocked, and that the system was purchased near Hotz's residence. These new filings show that the serial number claim may be incorrect, and it's not inconceivable that someone else could have used Hotz's Internet connection to create an account.
I don't know if the purchase of used hardware was intentionally on Hotz' part, but it does a great job of obfuscating who did what with the consoles. Either way, the lawyers do a nice job of pulling back on what looked like an incredibly damaging filing, Friday.

His neighbor has some, balls I might add.

But wait, there's more:
In another document, Hotz has declared, under penalty of perjury, that he was unaware of the existence of SCEA, and of the company's location in California. Hotz claims that the used systems in his possession either didn't come with instruction manuals, or he threw them out without looking for them. "The reason I kept the slim box (for the PlayStation I purchased new) was because it was pretty," he claimed.
Speaking of balls, this reeks of pure bullshit, but who knows. I mean at this point I have yet to see anything indicating he actually gamed on these things.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 28, 2011, 02:47 PM

It's just staggering to me that two next-door neighbors both owned PS3s.

Ba-dum-tish.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 28, 2011, 02:52 PM

It's probably an up-scale neighborhood.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 29, 2011, 10:32 AM

A casting call currently open for publisher Take-Two is asking for somebody to play the role of James Pedeaston in a new game. James Pedeaston being a character from Grand Theft Auto IV. And a paedophile.
Posted because the article includes a pic of the person in question, which contains that GTA style stereotype accuracy which is so humorous.

(Also, GTA V - yay)

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 30, 2011, 10:32 AM

Wednesday News

Reggie: Nintendo's next home console unlikely to feature 3D | Joystiq
Duh.

BBFC rating suggests Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition coming in June | Joystiq
If the classification is for consoles, it goes against previous statements made by Street Fighter producer Yoshinori Ono, but would play into cryptic tweets he's made about Arcade Edition DLC. The new version would likely include the four new playable characters: Yun, Yang, Oni and Evil Ryu.

Currently, a 7.95GB Xbox 360 disc can only have 6.8GB of game data on it, because there's an inaccessible partition on the disc itself that has stuff like video code and anti-piracy measures behind it.

Digital Foundry's source reckons that the "new disc format" is simply the existing disc with this partition having "either been drastically reduced or omitted completely".

This would give 360 games a 15% boost in storage, which in some cases may alleviate the increasing (and annoying) need for Xbox games to ship on multiple discs.
Increasing? Other than FFXIII what' shipped on multiple discs the past year?

The first Crysis was, and remains, something of a benchmark for PC hardware nerds. Because the second Crysis was also made for consoles, though, some of those aforementioned nerds are angry.
Hilarity. It's like 360 users raging if they got a Wii port.

Achievements and wolves should hit Minecraft this week- Destructoid
The 1.4 update should be arriving this week, and with it come a number of exciting features. Stat tracking, achievements, wolves, and the option to change your starting location, to name a few. Something for everyone, even if you aren't particularly down with achievements as a whole.

Thread of GAF pointing out what sounds like typical EA stuff I never see since I don't buy their games (mostly).
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=425887
I excluded the Online Pass, but even then there's still 189.48€/$267.16 worth of DLC available before the game is even released. I'm just guessing that everything listed here is not available for everyone who picks up this game tomorrow since I don't think they'd list it if it were just on the disc (and unlocked).
That's a a lot of DLC.

L.A. Noire subject of Tribeca Film Festival special event | Joystiq
To hear Take-Two describe it -- "L.A. Noire has been honored as an Official Selection at the 2011 Tribeca Film Festival [...] the first time ever that a video game has been recognized by the festival" -- you'd think that Rockstar's latest production was a small-budget longshot, competing for necessary distinction amid the eclectic slate of films that will be screened during De Niro and company's annual gathering of international movie makers and moviegoers in the lower Manhattan neighborhood.

Instead, the Team Bondi-developed "cinema-videogame hybrid," as Tribeca Film puts it, will be more of a sideshow -- though no less prestigious. As part of the "Tribeca Talks" special events series, L.A. Noire will be the subject of a one-night-only gameplay demonstration and discussion, featuring Rockstar representatives.

The event will be moderated by Tribeca Enterprises COO Geoff Gilmore, who sounds particularly excited about the film festival's latest discovery. "It's an invention of a new realm of storytelling that is part cinema, part gaming, and a whole new realm of narrative expression, interactivity, and immersion," he heralded in an announcement. "We are poised on the edge of a new frontier." Don't worry, Gilmore, it's safe to step on in -- the games industry has actually been settling this very frontier for decades.
This is progress for video games as art, right?

Leonard
Professional Poster
Mar 30, 2011, 11:00 AM

Increasing? Other than FFXIII what' shipped on multiple discs the past year?
Mass Effect 2

But again, you're right, that's only 2 games.
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 1, 2011, 10:11 AM

GameStop details U.S. and European console install base | Joystiq
According to the data, the U.S. hardware market stood at over 249 million units as of December 2010, with current-generation consoles ranked as follows:
Nintendo DS - 47.3 million
Nintendo Wii - 34.2 million
Xbox 360 - 25.4 million
PSP - 19 million
PS3 - 15.4 million

In Europe, the total gaming hardware install base is roughly 153 million, according to IDG data from December 2010. The report breaks down that number, too:
Nintendo DS - 46 million
Nintendo Wii - 24.9 million
PSP - 14.8 million
PS3 - 14.7 million
Xbox 360 - 13.7 million

THQ lays off 33 across Kaos Studios and Volition | Joystiq
Volition, whose team of around 200 is also working on the next, bonersword-equipped installment in the Saint's Row franchise, had its headcount cut by 16 positions. Kaos Studios, which employs more than 100 developers, lost 17 across its departments.
Those Homefront patches will now come faster than ever!

These CBRNE kits enable the robots to i.d. over 7,500 environmental hazards, including chemicals, volatile gases, radiation and explosive risks, as well as temperature and air quality indicators. The Talon robots can be operated up to 1,000 meters away. As with many American robots used in military and rescue operations, they are controlled by Xbox 360 pads.
Where are your keyboard/mouse gods now?!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 1, 2011, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
Mass Effect 2

Yeah, and what are the chances all Mass Effect 2 needed was 1 GB more of space?

Leonard
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2011, 10:45 AM

THQ lays off 33 across Kaos Studios and Volition | Joystiq

Those Homefront patches will now come faster than ever!
There was a patch just yesterday.

I also can't wait for Saints Row 3 (I'm never calling it by the name they chose "Saints Row: The Third"). It should be good, although I'll have to try to find a co-op partner - everybody here seems to be a GTA fan, instead of Saint's Row. They apparently got rid of multiplayer according to the announcement, so I imagine their going to focus more on the single player and co-op.
MacBook Pro

Leonard
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2011, 10:51 AM

Yeah, and what are the chances all Mass Effect 2 needed was 1 GB more of space?
I don't know. I haven't got a clue. I'd have to search the net, but I'm at work now, behind a proxy server that won't let me do a hell of a lot.

I do know you could play parts of the game with either disc, so I'd guess about %50 of the game is duplicated on both discs.
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 1, 2011, 10:53 AM

It was mostly rhetorical. I think the 1GB is more likely to allow developers to give us shiner graphics than anything else.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 1, 2011, 11:07 AM

April fools day deals on X-box Live (Today only)

Game Add-ons

• Fable III - "Fable III Understone Quest Pack " - 400 MSP on sale for 200 MSP
• Fallout: New Vegas - "Fallout: New Vegas - Dead Money" - 800 MSP on sale for 400 MSP

Arcade Games

• Comic Jumper - 1200 MSP on sale for 400 MSP
• Deadliest Warrior - 800 MSP on sale for 200 MSP
• X-Men Arcade - 800 MSP on sale for 200 MSP

Pretty good discounts there.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Apr 1, 2011, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
Mass Effect 2

Dead Space 2 shipped on two discs

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 1, 2011, 11:54 AM

Your face shipped on two discs.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Apr 1, 2011, 12:19 PM

How could you expect to fit this masterpiece onto one disc...

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 1, 2011, 12:21 PM

I hear it's all bloated source code.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2011, 12:50 PM

Your momma's so fat, she wouldn't fit on a blu-ray.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 1, 2011, 12:52 PM

Your momma's so fat, when they put her on a blu-ray she gets her own region code.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Apr 1, 2011, 01:00 PM

I never thought I would ever hear of a fat momma blu ray joke, let alone two

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 3, 2011, 11:39 PM

So I downloaded Full House Poker the other day to and I gotta say, it's a lot of fun. If you're a fan of Texas Hold 'Em it's a great game to play with friends! If anyone of you gets it, let me know! I'd love to play with you! Worth the 800 pts IMO.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 4, 2011, 09:59 AM

Unannounced by Electronic Arts, Australia's Classification Board has nonetheless listed Burnout Crash. LinkedIn bios for Criterion developers hint that the game will be available on Xbox 360 and PS3.
Seems a little early considering they just finished NFS last year.

Now, West and Zampella say they were lied to by Activision, that they were fraudulently induced into signing that contract. The former Infinity Ward heads say Activision boss Bobby Kotick assured them it was "impossible for you guys to get fired," allegedly saying "You're in the big leagues now."

The pair signed that contract, they say believing they would "operate more akin to an independent studio, like Blizzard."

Those new claims add a new layer of damages exposure, according to West and Zampella's lawyer, Robert Schwartz, which could result in Activision paying compensatory damages (aka writing out a big check) or rescission of their contract—which could also mean that West and Zampella might find themselves co-owners of the Modern Warfare and Call of Duty brands with Activision.
Been a while.

I find it hard to predict a winner when both sides seem to have been scheming on the other the entire time. I do think Kotick would be the kind of person who would let these guys finish the game when he should be firing them for transgressions because he knows it will hurt the bottom line.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 4, 2011, 05:47 PM

Just hours after the hacker collective Anonymous threatened to take down the PlayStation Network and major Sony websites, the PSN — the service that allows PS3 gamers to compete online and download games — has been going on and offline. The official PlayStation blog and Sony's U.S. PlayStation site are also loading slowly, if at all.

An official PlayStation Twitter account noted just before 1pm ET today that: "PSN currently undergoing sporadic maintenance. Access to the PSN may be interrupted throughout the day. We apologize for any inconvenience." The service was down after that though appeared to be functioning again by 3:30 ET.
That's a nice line of bullshit.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 4, 2011, 07:36 PM

I got home, expecting to take my friend's PS3 online (his 500GB hard drive took 27 hours to format) and re-download some of his PSN software, but was dumbfounded when I couldn't log on to PSN. I switched back to my PS3, realized the problem persisted, and hopped online to find this crap going on.

Seriously, I wish Sony would drop the legal action and allow Linux again, but this is just retarded on Anonymous' part. They're hurting the 48,000,000 existing PS3 users more than they're hurting Sony. Sony's actions, although debatably unjustifiable, are based around protecting their system against piracy. God forbid a company actually protect its interests.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 4, 2011, 07:48 PM

I swear, the biggest lament of the 21st century has to be that in virtually all these media suits, you can't really stand behind one of the parties without feeling dirty. While I don't condone Anonymous' actions, I still feel like this is closest thing to a boycott you can organize nowadays.

As for collateral damage, it's bad press for Sony and drain on their resources I imagine. (Still, can't wait for in two weeks when ars posts how 5 dipshits got tracked down for this DDOS). I don't think anyone begrudges Sony for protecting it's interests, but merely the method. Otherwise, wouldn't MS get the same flack?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 4, 2011, 09:09 PM

I think they all deserve some bad press. Which is "worse" out of the three, though? Nintendo? Sony? Microsoft?

They're big companies, doing what big companies do. To target one over the others is ridiculous. Microsoft has been coming down hard on modders for a long time now, haven't they?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 5, 2011, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I think they all deserve some bad press. Which is "worse" out of the three, though? Nintendo? Sony? Microsoft?

They're big companies, doing what big companies do. To target one over the others is ridiculous. Microsoft has been coming down hard on modders for a long time now, haven't they?
MS bans people and/or hardware from LIVE pretty effectively curtailing their ability to play. Straight and to the point. Sony is acting like the RIAA. The cat's out of the bag but they're acting like they can stuff the damn thing back in. (Not to mention all the EULA and jurisdictional bullshit going on).

I'd say that's a pretty big difference. Sony just did some mass bannings a few weeks ago in response to the real effect of the system being cracked and I heard nary a complaint about that. It's all about method.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 5, 2011, 10:16 AM

Not content with attacking Sony's commercial websites and the PlayStation Network itself, a group of activists has now turned its sights on obtaining the personal information of a number of Sony executives.

A supposed "splinter group" of hacking outfit Anonymous, calling itself "SonyRecon", has asked members to get "people to gather and contribute dox, and work towards a common goal of finding and information and detailing useful targets". "Dox" is basically any and all personal documentation and/or identification of an individual available online.
...and the line was crossed.

Speaking of bans and hackings...

Banned Xbox Live user hacks Microsoft exec's account- Destructoid
An angry Xbox Live user who had been banned from the service over thirty-five times has retaliated against executive Stephen Toulouse, hacking his Xbox Live account and gaining control of his personal blog.
Xbox Live hacker: 'All accounts are open' to attacks | Joystiq
And this isn't his first success, Predator claims. "I've done many illegal things on Xbox -- I've taken Trixie360's account, 15 Original Gamertags, 4 H3 Pro's [Halo 3 pros], and a few randoms," he told us.
Stepto on Xbox Live hacker: 'He's not trying to help' | Joystiq
"He got an old cell phone [number] of mine, and yeah, he called it occasionally," Xbox Live director of policy and enforcement Stephen "Stepto" Toulouse told us of the contact he'd had with the apparent hacker known as "Predator," who took control of Toulouse's Xbox Live account this past weekend. "I can play you a voice message if you want, to show you the nature of his contact with us." What followed was ... not suitable for printing. Expletives and derogatory terms were all that we could make out in the mess of a message.

Multiple voices could be heard, too. "I have a six minute one where he and his friend discuss all the different ways they're gonna have sex with my wife." Not exactly what Predator characterized as "reaching out" to Microsoft to offer his help resolving the security issues he's claimed to have exploited.
Yeah, this guy deserves a little more than some bannings.

Tretton: Japan earthquake may push NGP out of 2011 in some regions | Joystiq
As a result of the recent earthquake in Japan, the NGP handheld may not make the holiday 2011 release window worldwide. "It may be the straw that says 'maybe we get to just one market by the end of the year,'" SCEA president Jack Tretton told Bloomberg, suggesting that Sony may opt to stagger production of the handheld and release it in just one territory this year. According to Bloomberg, damage from the March 11 earthquake and tsunami has slowed Sony's production line by forcing the closure of "several" factories in northern Japan. Sony's plan as of January was already to have the handheld out in "at least one territory" by holiday 2011. It's just more likely to be just one now.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 5, 2011, 10:40 AM

MS bans people and/or hardware from LIVE pretty effectively curtailing their ability to play. Straight and to the point. Sony is acting like the RIAA. The cat's out of the bag but they're acting like they can stuff the damn thing back in. (Not to mention all the EULA and jurisdictional bullshit going on).

I'd say that's a pretty big difference. Sony just did some mass bannings a few weeks ago in response to the real effect of the system being cracked and I heard nary a complaint about that. It's all about method.
Fair enough.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2011, 10:49 AM

Even bigger difference is banning people doesn't do jack if you have the keys to the system to go an unban yourself, which there is a hack for. Not only that you can ban other people.

Latest PSN hack lets you unban yourself, someone else | VG247

New PSN Hack Allows you to Unban Yourself [Updated] - Gigjets

http://www.gamepro.com/article/news/...-powerful-yet/

http://www.destructoid.com/psn-hack-...s-194361.phtml

So you have no choice but to go after the source. Since these hackers egos are affecting my game play I hope Sony lynches the f*ckers, hell I'd do it myself if I could.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 5, 2011, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
Even bigger difference is banning people doesn't do jack if you have the keys to the system to go an unban yourself, which there is a hack for. Not only that you can ban other people.

Latest PSN hack lets you unban yourself, someone else | VG247

New PSN Hack Allows you to Unban Yourself [Updated] - Gigjets

New PS3 hack claims to be the most powerful yet, News from GamePro

PSN hack lets users unban themselves, ban others- Destructoid
Yeah, does that still work? I'm guessing no, as Sony managed to relock up their network with the last update. Which is exactly how you do it.

Hacking – it's a game of chess. (Word is that new lite format from MS also includes updates security measures).

So you have no choice but to go after the source. Since these hackers egos are affecting my game play I hope Sony lynches the f*ckers, hell I'd do it myself if I could.
It's as effective as suing The Pirate Bay. How did that work out?

The most effective strategy is being really, really good at locking up your stuff. The irony of this is, Sony was. They by far held out the longest. Which is part of what makes the legal fallout afterwards such a fiasco. It took them a whole month, month and half to clamp down on the problem. That's very good in my book.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2011, 11:13 AM

It's as effective as suing The Pirate Bay. How did that work out?

The most effective strategy is being really, really good at locking up your stuff. The irony of this is, Sony was. They by far held out the longest. Which is part of what makes the legal fallout afterwards such a fiasco. It took them a whole month, month and half to clamp down on the problem. That's very good in my book.
Last I heard the founders were on their way to jail plus they are paying hefty fines. Sounds like we have some suckers that took one for the team and we have another one coming up. If you stick your head in the gun site, be prepared to get shot.

So you think they should just sit back celebrate for holding out and now just let them pirate games, hack online play for people who HAVE paid, and pirate movies?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 5, 2011, 11:15 AM

Last I heard the founders were on their way to jail plus they are paying hefty fines. Sounds like we have some suckers that took one for the team and we have another one coming up. If you stick your head in the gun site, be prepared to get shot.

So you think they should just sit back celebrate for holding out and now just let them pirate games, hack online play for people who HAVE paid, and pirate movies?
Congratulations, for positing an absurd argument I have not made. Got any real debate in ya?

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2011, 11:32 AM

Not a debate, just stating my opinion on the matter nothing more.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 5, 2011, 11:36 AM

Not a debate, just stating my opinion on the matter nothing more.
Perhaps instead of stating your opinion on what you think I support you should just ask me, what with me being right here and all. Unless, of course, you're not actually interested.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2011, 11:43 AM

Did you not see the question mark? The last line WAS the question. You obviously took it personal, which it was not intended to be.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 5, 2011, 11:56 AM

It's an absurd question, not an honest one. Like if I asked if you think all pirates be banned from ever owning Sony hardware or playing video games for the rest of their lives.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 6, 2011, 10:15 AM

Wednesday News: Doomed to repeat history Edition

News: Sony: 'Price doesn't make or kill a platform' - ComputerAndVideoGames.com
"Typically it comes down to; 'how good is the system and how bad do I want it?' And it's not to say that the price of the platform isn't a consideration, but I don't think price makes or kills a platform. Something that's lousy and very inexpensive is not going to be successful. Something that's pricey will ultimately find its audience if there's enough value there."
*spit take* *checks calendar*

I'm resisting the urge to revise my NGP price prediction even higher.

Report: Sony's PlayStation Certified tablet due this summer | Joystiq
Sony's gearing up to release yet another "PlayStation Certified" device by year end, Nikkei reports (via Bloomberg). Sony CEO Sir Howard Stringer confirmed as much to the Japanese newspaper, saying that the Android 3.0 (Honeycomb) tablet will be available in unspecified territories by the end of the summer, with the US receiving the first batch.
The first I've heard of this thing.

NBA Jam: On Fire Edition drives to PSN, XBLA this October | Joystiq
On Fire Edition will benefit from new opponent AI (adapted from the Fight Night titles), revamped visuals and a host of new online features including an online co-op "Road Trip" campaign mode and roster updates. The new AI is promising competition that "learns your tendencies and throws them back in your face."
No mention of price, but are an arcade titles priced higher than $20?

Next EA basketball simulation game coming fall 2012 | Joystiq
the next "real" basketball game from EA Sports won't be here until fall 2012. Nothing makes for a better distraction than (NBA Jam: On) Fire!

"As planned, our next NBA simulation title is in development at our Tiburon Studio in Orlando," EA Sports president Peter Moore said in the announcement. "We have top talent on the game, and we're giving the new development team time to deliver a superior experience. We're making great strides and looking forward to launching a new game next year." That lesson about giving the team plenty of time was learned the hard way: through the near-release and scrapping of NBA Elite 11.
This head scratchingly odd. How do you go from almost releasing a game to delaying it for two years? Did they just chuck Elite and start from scratch? Did they almost release something that ****ed?

Streets of Rage Remake was eight years in the (re)making | Joystiq
Well, it's less a "remake" and more of a hugely expanded, mostly new game. Remake, built entirely using new code, contains 103 stages, and all the playable characters from Streets of Rage 1, 2, and 3 (with new abilities), along with new characters. New enemies based on the Game Gear games and cover illustrations have been added to the lineup of punching bags. Boss Rush, Volleyball, AI partner mode, and other extras are also thrown in. Oh, and there's a level editor.
I love Streets of Rage. Too bad this is a) On PC b) PC only

It's something Randy Pitchford, boss of Gearbox Studios (Borderlands, Brothers in Arms), has on his mind.

"...the reason [publishers demand multiplayer components] is because they notice that the biggest blockbusters offer a little bit for every kind of consumer. You have people that want co-op and competitive, and players who want to immerse themselves in deep fiction. But the concept has to speak to that automatically; it can't be forced. That's the problem."
Here's the problem, Randy. A loud plurality of gamers look for multiplayer for their gaming enjoyment. Games that only give 10-20 hours of gameplay don't hold value to them. So publishers have two choices: Force the developer to shoehorn multiplayer to add value or cut the price to match perceived value. Guess which option they're taking and why.

Second, gaming is an increasingly social platform, but the writing and design hasn't caught up to making consistently good (or long) co-op experiences. This is why Borderlands was an overnight hit.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 6, 2011, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by the final dakar View Post
wednesday news: Doomed to repeat history edition

news: Sony: 'price doesn't make or kill a platform' - computerandvideogames.com

*spit take* *checks calendar*

i'm resisting the urge to revise my ngp price prediction even higher.
KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHNNNNNNN NNNNNNNNNNNN!!!
all caps
( Last edited by Jawbone54; Apr 6, 2011 at 11:28 AM. )

Leonard
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2011, 11:19 AM

Here's the problem, Randy. A loud plurality of gamers look for multiplayer for their gaming enjoyment. Games that only give 10-20 hours of gameplay don't hold value to them. So publishers have two choices: Force the developer to shoehorn multiplayer to add value or cut the price to match perceived value. Guess which option they're taking and why.

Second, gaming is an increasingly social platform, but the writing and design hasn't caught up to making consistently good (or long) co-op experiences. This is why Borderlands was an overnight hit.
I have to agree with him that I'd rather have a game that adapts the multiplayer to the game, that the multipler isn't just like other multiplayers. For example, Bioshock 2, they modified the game types to fit into Bioshock's style and story. Or another great example, Assassin's Creed Brotherhood. Again they created a multiplayer experience that was truly Assassin's Creed's style.

I don't want to see a multiplayer forced on a single-player game. Could you imagine either of these games with capture the flag?

As for co-op, I'm not really into it yet. It would be better if I had some friends in my timezone. I know Saint's Row allowed co-op for the whole story, but the problem was that if you didn't finish all the missions of the story with the same co-op partner, you wouldn't get some of the co-op achievements. I didn't care for that. I should be able to switch partners and still get my achievements.
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 6, 2011, 11:21 AM

BioShock 2s multiplayer wasn't worth the time. And grab the Little Sister was Capture the Flag.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 6, 2011, 01:41 PM

Seems a little early considering they just finished NFS last year.
Nothing's ever too early when it's Criterion and Burnout.

Been waiting for a sequel to Paradise City for too long damnit!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 6, 2011, 01:46 PM

Early in the sense that it takes around two years to make a good game and its been 6 months since their last one came out.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 6, 2011, 01:48 PM

I didn't see a relase date set yet. Who's to say they weren't working on it the same time they were working on NFS?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 6, 2011, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by KCrosbie View Post
I didn't see a relase date set yet. Who's to say they weren't working on it the same time they were working on NFS?
Unless they increased the size of their studio that would mean each game would take a longer development time. Or it's going to be smaller in scale than Paradise.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 7, 2011, 10:22 AM

Sony Japan denies any earthquake-related NGP delays | Joystiq
Sony's Japanese arm has told the Wall Street Journal that earlier reports suggesting Japan's recent earthquake would delay the release of the NGP in some territories -- including comments made by SCEA president Jack Tretton -- were outright "wrong."

Did a purchase by mega-publisher Activision have an adverse effect on the culture of Bizarre Creations, the developers of the Project Gotham series?

"We weren't an independent studio making ‘our' games anymore – we were making games to fill slots", Bizarre's former creative director Martyn Chudley tells Edge. "Although we did all believe in them, they were more the products of committees and analysts. The culture we'd worked on for so long gradually eroded just enough so that it wasn't ‘ours' anymore."

Sony today conceding the possibility of the obvious and in a statement issued to GameSpot admits that it is "currently investigating [the network instability], including the possibility of targeted behavior of an outside party. If this is indeed caused by such act, we want to once again thank our customers who have borne the brunt of the attack through interrupted service. Our engineers are working to restore and maintain the services, and we appreciate our customers' continued support."

Getting things back up to full speed shouldn't be too hard for Sony, as Anonymous claims to have stopped its attack on the PS3's online service, a statement on the group's website reading "We realize that targeting the PSN is not a good idea. We have therefore temporarily suspended our action, until a method is found that will not severely impact Sony customers."

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 8, 2011, 10:25 AM

PlayStation emulator for Android goes free and open source | Joystiq
PSX4Droid, the PSOne emulator for Android that got the smackdown from Google recently, has found a surefire way of getting around the ban: Go free and open source. The latest version of the software does just that, skipping out on Google's market completely and putting both the app and the source code online for anyone to download and check out.

Developer "ZodTTD" says that the original Sony complaint only had to do with a trademarked logo that had snuck into the app's icon, but since then, Google has closed both his Android Market and CheckOut accounts, leaving him unable to publish any apps. As a result, he's self-publishing PSX4Droid, and will be exploring other third-party markets to sell the app in. In the meantime, you can go enjoy the new version, which adds better compatibility and performance, though save files from the previous version will no longer work.
Posted because there's something fishy here, though who knows from which side.

EA Sports planning 'persistent' gamer profiles across its titles, all of EA to follow | Joystiq
"We recognize [players] -- that's the persistence -- and their presence there gets its achievements and carries them from iteration to iteration," said Moore. "It's no longer 'buy Madden 11 and then buy Madden 12 and start from scratch,' it is 'take everything that you've done and migrate it and move it along.'"
I don't think I grasp what "everything" is supposed to be. At all.

Minecraft clone coming to Xbox Live Indie Games: FortressCraft | Joystiq

Shiny.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 8, 2011, 02:05 PM

Jawbone, don't read this; Epic Sony Troll ahead

Sony's Tretton: Nintendo systems are 'babysitting tools'- Destructoid
An article on CNN Money has PlayStation boss Jack Tretton talking smack about Nintendo's game offerings. He says that the Wii hasn't aged well, and that he doesn't really see it as competition.

"They're starting to run out of steam now in terms of continuing to be relevant in 2011 and beyond," Tretton says. "I mean, you've gotta be kidding me. Why would I buy a gaming system without a hard drive in it? How does this thing scale? Motion gaming is cute, but if I can only wave my arms six inches, how does this really feel like I'm doing true accurate motion gaming?"

And he doesn't go lightly on the DS line: "Our view of the 'Game Boy experience' is that it's a great babysitting tool, something young kids do on airplanes, but no self-respecting twenty-something is going to be sitting on an airplane with one of those," he says. "He's too old for that."
Never mind that the Wii is running out of steam a year shy of a regular console cycle. With what many would consider crippled hardware.

It's fun to see him trash motion gaming and portable gaming. Good thing you guys didn't release Move in the past 6 months and aren't looking to release the NGP in the next 6.

Forum Links
Forum Rules