Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Internet Explorer PC in MacBook Pro

Internet Explorer PC in MacBook Pro
Zitax
Forum Regular
Mar 18, 2006, 11:33 AM

Hi, I hope someone can help me with this issue, here is the situation.

I have a security system ( cams ) but they can only be seen in explorer for windows, I have a new MacBook Pro, and Virtual PC dont run there, What options do I have ?

The problem is that the plugin for viewing the cams is just made for windows internet explorer, so thats what I need to get running in the MacBook, I tested the same thing in a powerbook using Virtual PC and it worked, now I am stucked with the MacBook Pro.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks.

©öñFü$íóÑ
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2006, 11:43 AM

i believe there are two realistic options for you....

1) you can try a search on google on how to bypass parts of the new intel-based macs/notebooks so as to install Windows XP... (you may actually be able to install windows, but as for running programs or plug-ins including Internet Explorer, it may or may not work)

2) just wait until Microsoft releases a new MacIntel-compatible version of VirtualPC. I'd bet they're also just waiting until Apple releases the new MacIntel desktops (the ones that'll replace the current G5 desktop).

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 18, 2006, 11:44 AM

Are you talking about CAMS as in the Core Automated Maintenance System? Sorry, you're out of luck. The only way they could get the database back end to do what people wanted was to use a lot (and I mean a LOT) of IE for Windows-only tricks.

There's also the issue of being authorized on a network that is physically allowed to connect to the particular non-public network CAMS is hosted on. You CANNOT access it via the public Internet. It's supposed to be that way.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Mar 18, 2006, 01:58 PM

Your best and simplest method at the moment is to run QEMU the latest unstable build (the download on the RIGHT of the linked page) now lets you install XP. All you need is a XP installer disk and unlike VPC this emu is free.

Forum Links
Forum Rules