Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Sick of Politics

Sick of Politics
djohnson
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2004, 04:53 PM

Has anyone else gotten sick of all the political stuff everywhere? You can't even sit down to watch a tv show without getting inundated with them! Maybe it is just me, but I don't remember all of these ads during the past elections...

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2004, 04:57 PM

Originally posted by djohnson:
Has anyone else gotten sick of all the political stuff everywhere? You can't even sit down to watch a tv show without getting inundated with them! Maybe it is just me, but I don't remember all of these ads during the past elections...
I enjoyed it before I didn't, and now I do.

Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Demonhood
Administrator
Oct 21, 2004, 05:01 PM

i can't wait for it all to be over.
there will be a week of gloating, then a calm, and then we can all move on.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2004, 05:02 PM

I hardly see any ads, but then I have TiVo, don't watch much TV in the first place, and I don't live in a swing state. There are ads here about Indian gambling which annoy the crap out of me, though...

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2004, 05:03 PM

Originally posted by Demonhood:
A week? We'll be lucky if the election itself is settled by 11/9, nevermind the gloating

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 21, 2004, 05:06 PM

Or (perhaps more likely) several drawn-out weeks of partisan nastiness followed by years of bitterness on the part of the losers. I hope it doesn't come to that, but it could.

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2004, 05:11 PM

Well, I consider politics to be an integral part of life.

But I am certainly sick and tired of the current presidential race. We've reached a real low point, IMO.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2004, 05:17 PM

Originally posted by thunderous_funker:
Well, I consider politics to be an integral part of life.

But I am certainly sick and tired of the current presidential race. We've reached a real low point, IMO.
Just wait 'til the election reaches the courts!

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 21, 2004, 05:22 PM

Originally posted by Icruise:
Or (perhaps more likely) several drawn-out weeks of partisan nastiness followed by years of bitterness on the part of the losers. I hope it doesn't come to that, but it could.
You mean like the Democrats since 2000?
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 21, 2004, 05:25 PM

Originally posted by MacNStein:
Yes, I do.

warmspit
Oct 21, 2004, 05:34 PM

Originally posted by MacNStein:
he was probably thinking of the hunting of the president...you know, where repukes got pissed cause chimpboy's dad was a one-termer and spent millions of dollars on a witch hunt of clinton? I'm guessing that was the worst case of a political hissy fit I've ever seen.

djohnson  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2004, 05:49 PM

Originally posted by xi_hyperon:
Just wait 'til the election reaches the courts!
I am just hoping it doesn't come to that...

Turias
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2004, 06:13 PM

I've also gotten to the point where I just can't wait for it to end. Sadly, most of it is brought on by skimming through the topics in the political lounge.

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2004, 07:33 PM

Look on the bright side. We got some great slogans out of this year's elections:

Dems: "Remember 2000!"

Repubs: "Remember Poland!"

Myrkridia
Senior User
Oct 23, 2004, 02:14 AM

T-minus 10 days and counting... I can hardly wait

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2004, 12:29 AM

*bump*

Just two more days... I can't even discuss politics anymore I'm so sick of it!

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2004, 12:42 AM

Originally posted by RAILhead:
I enjoyed it before I didn't, and now I do.

Maury

ROFLMAO

Krusty
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2004, 12:49 AM

I think it will be very interesting if Kerry/Edwards wins. This Pol/War forum has only been around in the Bush admin. I think it will separate the liberal wheat from the chaff, so to speak. Those who really stick to their liberal principals when Kerry goes against them and those who just play defense for "their guy" the way many of the Bushites have for the last coupla years.

Personally, I look forward to holding Kerry's coullions to the fire (some of us just like to be critical )

Link
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2004, 03:36 AM

I look forward to all the republican propaganda Fox News will be spewing out about Kerry once he gets into the white house..

It'll be like Bill Clinton all over again!

I wonder how long they'll wait to make an affair article.
Aloha

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Nov 1, 2004, 08:48 AM

Originally posted by Link:
I wonder how long they'll wait to make an affair article.
Nobody would believe that Kerry is having an affair. There just aren't that many women richer than Teresa to choose from.

tie
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2004, 01:23 PM

Originally posted by SimeyTheLimey:
Nobody would believe that Kerry is having an affair. There just aren't that many women richer than Teresa to choose from.
If it's on Fox news, it's gotta be true! Or on Drudge or worldnewsnetdaily, or whatever today's conservatives' favorite fake news site is.

The "wheat from chaff" argument is a good point. We have seen over the last four years how Bush supporter is generally the opposite of conservative. Big, wasteful government spending, weak national defense, nation-building abroad, poor economic policies. "Four more years" of terrorist attacks, a weak economy, an Iraqi occupation, record deficits -- indeed! The leadership of the Republican party is no longer conservative, and the base (as represented in these forums) doesn't care. I would certainly hope that Democrats wouldn't give representatives who governed so poorly such strong support.

PacHead
Baninated
Nov 1, 2004, 01:37 PM

Originally posted by SimeyTheLimey:
A RealDoll� is preferable to Teresa (potty mouth).

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2004, 05:13 PM

Ugh. It's all just one big blur at this point. I hope it doesn't drag out. Even as a Democrat, I'd rather Bush win decisively than Kerry win through challenges and litigation, if it comes down to that.

I'm having a big election night party. Unfortunately I just feel like going into my room and going to sleep. I don't think I can handle listening to Chris Matthews and all the others prattle on all night.

Turias
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2004, 05:55 PM

Tomorrow can't come soon enough.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2004, 06:33 PM

Originally posted by BRussell:
I'm having a big election night party. Unfortunately I just feel like going into my room and going to sleep. I don't think I can handle listening to Chris Matthews and all the others prattle on all night.
That, my friend, is why it is vital to have sufficient stock of one's malt beverage of choice when entering the fray that is election night.

Joshua
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2004, 06:40 PM

That, my friend, is why it is vital to have sufficient stock of one's malt beverage of choice when entering the fray that is election night.
Safe in the womb of an everlasting night
You find the darkness can give the brightest light.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 1, 2004, 06:45 PM

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2004, 07:04 PM

Originally posted by Icruise:

Cheers.

mo
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 1, 2004, 07:19 PM

I thought the 2000 campaign was annoying, but now I come home from 8 hours at work, and there are 11 pre-recorded pleas from candidates/parties on my answering machine. New record for a single day. (Not over yet, either.)

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2004, 07:27 PM

Originally posted by mo:
I thought the 2000 campaign was annoying, but now I come home from 8 hours at work, and there are 11 pre-recorded pleas from candidates/parties on my answering machine. New record for a single day. (Not over yet, either.)
damn 11...i get a few a day from the kerry camp, nothing from bush though.

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

OreoCookie
Nov 1, 2004, 07:29 PM

Originally posted by mo:
I hope you are kidding or at least partly exaggerating. That's brainwash!
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Atomic Rooster
Nov 1, 2004, 07:34 PM

Has anyone else gotten sick of all the political stuff everywhere?
yup...

Demonhood
Administrator
Nov 1, 2004, 07:44 PM

i've gotten automated messages from: Arnie, Guiliani, Jerry Brown, someone speaking spanish, and probably half a dozen more that i've hung up on before hearing enough to figure it out.
and then we've got the door to door people. ugh.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2004, 07:49 PM

Originally posted by mo:
The get out the vote effort seems intense this year. Even I got like 4 calls last night, though they were from relatively minor, local candidates.

mo
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 1, 2004, 07:51 PM

Originally posted by OreoCookie:
I hope you are kidding or at least partly exaggerating. That's brainwash!
No, no kidding. I have:

1. Kit Bond (senator) telling me that his opponent (Nancy Farmer) is a very bad person and that I should vote for him and President Bush;

2. Nancy Farmer telling me that Kit Bond is a very bad person and that I should give President Kerry a Democratic Senate (yes, right afterward);

3. My congressman, who is not in a serious race, urging me to vote for his "friend," a gubernatorial candidate;

4. The other gubernatorial candidate suggesting I vote for her instead (yes, right afterward);

5. A call from the state Democratic Party reminding me to vote;

6. A state senate candidate who wants to tell me that his opponent has parked a bunch of his income in an offshore, tax-free account (pretty disgusting tactic here);

7. A call from the Republican Party (can't tell whether it's state or national) reminding me to vote;

8. A call from the state Democratic Party reminding me to vote for John Kerry (hey, didn't you guys just call?):

9. A call advocating the election of the Republican candidate for Lieutenant Governor (I almost forgot that race);

10. A call urging me to vote "yes" on a couple of amendments authorizing medical marijuana and easing sentencing for marijuana offenses; and

11. A call urging me to vote for a candidate for county sheriff.

They're sort of funny, when you listen to them in sequence.

angaq0k
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2004, 07:52 PM

I think there is a big difference between politics and elections. One is a despicable attention grabbing instrument that is none other than a travesty of democracy.

Do you feel any freer after all these months of campaining?

Actually, I am ready to bet that barely anyone has changed opinion and the content of the candidates speeches was so meaningless that people are relying on their feelings of past images and party culture.

The real politic happens between election periods, and that is when people are least attentive, unless it interferes with their basic needs (food, lodging, jobs).

The fact that people are fed up is very symptomatic, imho, of a fatigue related to kinship with candidates. No one learned anything new of significance to make them change their mind from the day Kerry realy started to speak.

And we if can't remember much from these ads, it probably means that their significance is very low.
"******* politics is for the ******* moment. ******** equations are for ******** Eternity." ******** Albert Einstein

mikellanes
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2004, 08:12 PM

Here it is too funny, I am registered Republican and Nicole is a registered Democrat (we are both Voting for Kerry though) so we get all kinds of calls, I had Jeb Bush call to vote for Bush, We had Puff Daddy and then Spike Lee call to vote for Kerry.

The amount of mail is pretty ridiculous too.

Edit: Just (8:05PM EST) got a call from George Lopez urging me to vote for Kerry.
( Last edited by mikellanes; Nov 1, 2004 at 09:06 PM. )

Voch
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2004, 11:05 PM

Here's to being undeclared and mobile-phone only! I made up my own mind about all the ballot items myself...

Voch

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2004, 11:12 PM

Haha. I haven't gotten any calls and only a couple pieces of mail. I guess that's one nice thing about living in a solid red state with only three electoral votes.

vmpaul
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2004, 11:29 PM

No calls, and hardly any mail this year. It's very odd. Maybe because I went from a registered Democrat to Independent this year. Family in Michigan say they can't stand to watch TV anymore. Nothing but hateful ads.

I can't wait for the political shows to calm down. They're unwatchable now. All you get is incessant nonstop campaign rhetoric. This Sunday in response to one question, Senate Majority leader Bill Frist said six times that Kerry was denigrating the troops. SIX TIMES in one response. Not during the whole interview. One response to one question. I started counting after I heard him say it for the 3rd time. He was a robot. And it's just as bad from the Democratic mouthpieces. Although, not as bad as Frist.
The only thing that I am reasonably sure of is that anybody who's got an ideology has stopped thinking. - Arthur Miller

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2004, 11:30 PM

I got a call from Heather Graham suggesting that I vote for Kerry and then come over to her place for a drink.

vmpaul
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2004, 11:36 PM

I'm sure she'll want to see your stub for proof. (your ballot stub, that is).
The only thing that I am reasonably sure of is that anybody who's got an ideology has stopped thinking. - Arthur Miller

Rolling Bones
Banned
Nov 1, 2004, 11:43 PM

It's hard work!!! It's hard to love a woman when you're hard at work and not hard at home.

I know because I seen on TV how hard it is.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2004, 12:42 AM

I heard rumors on the internets of an election tomorrow.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2004, 12:51 AM

Originally posted by vmpaul:
No calls, and hardly any mail this year. It's very odd. Maybe because I went from a registered Democrat to Independent this year. Family in Michigan say they can't stand to watch TV anymore. Nothing but hateful ads.
Always been a registered Democrat, but I just got a call from Arnold Schwarzenegger! He wants me to vote for Bush! Thought I'd pass it along.
( Last edited by itai195; Nov 2, 2004 at 12:56 AM. )

Demonhood
Administrator
Nov 2, 2004, 01:28 AM

i had a congresswoman scoop me ice cream today while she was tabling with other dems. so i guess i'm not entirely sick of it.

UR-20
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 2, 2004, 01:39 AM

I heard rumors on the internets of an election tomorrow.
That's bubkis!

vmpaul
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2004, 01:55 AM

Originally posted by itai195:
Always been a registered Democrat, but I just got a call from Arnold Schwarzenegger! He wants me to vote for Bush! Thought I'd pass it along.
Thanks, I'll consider it.

I feel slighted though. Why can't he call me himself?

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2004, 02:30 AM

Originally posted by angaq0k:
I think there is a big difference between politics and elections. One is a despicable attention grabbing instrument that is none other than a travesty of democracy.

Do you feel any freer after all these months of campaining?

Actually, I am ready to bet that barely anyone has changed opinion and the content of the candidates speeches was so meaningless that people are relying on their feelings of past images and party culture.

The real politic happens between election periods, and that is when people are least attentive, unless it interferes with their basic needs (food, lodging, jobs).

The fact that people are fed up is very symptomatic, imho, of a fatigue related to kinship with candidates. No one learned anything new of significance to make them change their mind from the day Kerry realy started to speak.

And we if can't remember much from these ads, it probably means that their significance is very low.
My opinion changed. As for being sick and tired of the campaign? A bit. But I think I'm going to miss it, too. I hope I'll be able to resume a normal existence.

Writing and reasearching will continue as before, but I'll miss the immediate feedback and many different sources of ideas and the interplay with different personalities from different cultures and backgrounds and the unexpected emotional juice that you don't get in real life with real people because it's just not polite.

In real life I have a few close friends and they are great. But they won't fight me. I love a good fight and I've been getting my fight fix here.

Yeah, that's it...this is like my online equivalent of "Fight Club."
Consider these posts as my way of introducing you to yourself.

Proud "SMACKDOWN!!" and "Golden Troll" Award Winner.

OreoCookie
Nov 2, 2004, 12:37 PM

Originally posted by mo:
No, no kidding. I have:

[Insanely long list of phone calls from various parties]

They're sort of funny, when you listen to them in sequence.
Oh. My. God. I can understand why you are sick of politics now. That's really brainwash.
( Last edited by OreoCookie; Nov 2, 2004 at 12:55 PM. )
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules