Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Does this Crash Report look suspect?

Does this Crash Report look suspect?
tmcdanel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2019, 03:21 PM

Macbook Pro 9,2 - Mojave 10.14.2

My MacBook is periodically crashing, only staying up 30 minutes or so. It is just out of warranty this month, ironically.

The screen suddenly goes to black, the drive resets, but no responsiveness. I have to hold the power button to shut off, then reboot.
I have tried the obvious, SMC reset, PRAM reset, reseating the hard drive, reinstalling OSX (it went black & unresponsive at the end of the reinstall process).. and I have other theories like bad fan performance, heat issues, bad graphic card, bad memory.. but I’m not really sure where to go next. But here’s a theory:

Attached is a snapshot of the top of the last Crash Report. (I can’t believe you cannot copy them.) So my question for some bored OS bit-head is:

Does this look suspect?

other system info:
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.9 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 16 GB
Boot ROM Version: 222.0.0.0.0
SMC Version (system): 2.2f44
Serial Number (system): C1MQK108GDJL

reader50
Administrator
Jan 13, 2019, 04:24 PM

It looks like a hardware fault or cooling issue to me. Particularly because a reinstall didn't fix it. Be nice if it's RAM or the HD, as those are the only parts you can swap out.

Have you had the case open yet? Was the cooling system filled with dust? Do the fans run audibly all the time (or always silent)? Peer into the vents - they're hidden on the back, venting back when the screen is closed. With the screen open, some hot air goes up the front of the screen, from under the hinge.

note: if the vents are heavy with dust, do not blow compressed air in from the outside. You have to open the case, and blow the crap out. Not deeper into your Mac.

Run the Apple hardware Diagnostics: hold down "d" during boot. If your local drive does not have a valid copy of the diagnostics (nothing comes up) try holding option-d to load the diagnostics over the internet.

Forum Links
Forum Rules