Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Some More Questions For You Folks

Some More Questions For You Folks
Maseeh
Forum Regular
May 3, 2004, 11:58 PM

I had a couple questions for you guys.

1. Which burning program for copying cd's? 10.3 does not seem to have any, when i try to use DISC BURNER from mac os 9 it says could not load panel.

2. Internet speeds are really slow, I bought a stick of 256 ram on top of my 128, And i purchased a 802.11b wireless router, Will this help at all?

That is basically it,

Applefreak01
Senior User
May 4, 2004, 12:27 AM

1. Toast 6 is a great CD/DVD buring program for the Mac. http://www.roxio.com/en/products/toast/index.jhtml

2. The extra RAM will help speed up loading web pages because you'll have more RAM for the web browser to run in. I would suggest that you get a 512MB upgrade. They don't cost that much more and really give the iBook all the memory they need to run Mac OS X and applications. The wireless router really doesn't do anything but provide a wireless connection. You might want to check with your ISP and see if they aren't having problems if your internet seems slower than normal. Or you can try resetting your cable or ADSL modem and see if that doesn't make your internet faster. You can go here http://reviews.cnet.com/7004-7254_7-0.html?tag=tm to test your internet speed and see if you get the speed that you should be getting. For example if your ISP is giving your 768k connection speeds then the test results should be in that range.
[Riding a circus elephant]
Peter: Look Lois, the two smybols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a fat white guy who is threatened by change. - Family Guy

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2004, 12:27 AM

Use Disk Utility to burn CDs. It's in /Applications/Utilities.

RAM has nothing to do with your transfer speeds, but if you're running too many things at once with too little RAM browser rendering will suffer. What kind of internet connection do you have? Adding wireless can only slow you down, by the way.

Applefreak01
Senior User
May 4, 2004, 12:38 AM

The wireless router will slow down your transfer speeds from 100mb/sec to 11mb/sec. If you need to do a lot of file tranfers from your iBook via Airport or wirless you'll be better off with just an ethernet cable.

The more RAM you have the faster your computer will run. Especially with Mac OS X it's RAM hungry. Techincally more RAM wouldn't make your internet speeds faster, but it will make the loading of images, scrolling through long web pages and all the other stuff on web pages seem faster. And if you are running say Mail and iTunes or any other application while you are surfing the web in IE or Safari then you'll start to use Virtual Memory or the Page File which makes your hard drive act as RAM but will slow your iBook down a lot.
[Riding a circus elephant]
Peter: Look Lois, the two smybols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a fat white guy who is threatened by change. - Family Guy

Maseeh  (op)
Forum Regular
May 4, 2004, 05:14 PM

Err

I kinda already ordered the ibook ram, And i got it today, For 40 bucks which was right up in my budget

I could not afford one for 128 dollars/

Is installing ram easy?

Leonard
Professional Poster
May 5, 2004, 03:29 PM

It's been awhile since I've burned a CD in 10.2.x or 10.3.x, but I believe if you just insert a blank CD it will start the CD preparations process for burning to the CD. Then you just drag things to the CD in the finder.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Forum Links
Forum Rules