Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > [ANN] CreativeBits Widget Paegant 2005

[ANN] CreativeBits Widget Paegant 2005
afterglow
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 13, 2005, 07:35 AM

Thought I would post this here for anyone interested in submitting their own widget or one they think deserves a prize. We're running the compo over at www.creativebits.org for the Sexiest Widget around this year. The general gist of it is below but if you know a widget you think deserves the honour , go ahead and nominate it. Not sure if this is skirting the edges of spam, but there's no penis enlargement pills being offered, just an award for the winners.

With the advent of OS X 10.4, people have been introduced to the concept of widgets as an extra layer of GUI goodness on top of the normal OS. Freed from the Aqua design constraints , these widgets are allowing people to alter the interface to fit the purpose and style of the widget. From the ridiculous (we're looking at you Dancing Homer) to the utterly useful (WidgetMail) there seems to be a growing momentum to build new funsize applications which do increasingly cool things in new ways.

So to salute this new sexiness we've decided to hold a beauty pageant of sorts here on creativebits for the widgets. Leaving the borrowed hairdryers and bitchy comments to one side, we want to find out what widget the CB community thinks is the finest example of design currently in circulation. Unlike those normal beauty contests, we're not remotely interested if the widget wants world peace or a career feeding orphans; we're just after looks. So brains are out and superficial, surface sexiness is in.....

The Process
1. Find a widget that gets you hot under the collar, graphics wise. You can shamelessly plug your own widget or submit something that makes your hand clammy everytime you reach for the F12 key. Whatever widget you think has been planned and executed to perfection, with little finishing touches that Apple would be proud of.
2. Post a link to it in the comments section of the widget post. Just a link will suffice at the moment.
3. After a week , we'll do a poll on the nominated widgets and put up a page featuring the graphic goddesses.
4. The winners get a gold, silver and bronze award for display on their site . And the warm feeling from knowing that theirs is the hottest widget in Dashboard Land.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

mugget
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 13, 2005, 08:14 PM

sounds great! thanks for the heads-up on this. i'll definitely be keeping a close eye on this one...

iraszl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 4, 2005, 08:59 AM

( Last edited by iraszl; Aug 4, 2005 at 09:00 AM. Reason: typo)

mugget
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 8, 2005, 06:48 PM

was i the only one interested in this? :o

well to be honest, i was expecting some seriously jaw-dropping eye-candy. there's some nice widgets, but not as many as i had expected.

i suppose as more GUI people get to making widgets, the graphics will improve.

iraszl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2005, 05:05 AM

I think some of them need to be installed to give it justice. Some of them have really cool animations. Like Transmit and DropFTP.

Forum Links
Forum Rules