Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > October 23, 2012 Apple event: "We've got a little more to show you."

October 23, 2012 Apple event: "We've got a little more to show you." (Page 2)
Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 20, 2012, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
The chassis on my Acer cracked 2 weeks ago, my Amex is ready for a 13" RMBP. Don't screw this up with some crazy quirk, Apple.
I cracked my Asus Nexus 7 a few weeks ago, and my Amex is apparently going to pay for the replacement costs. (Purchase protection under 90 days.)

---

Apple always sandbags in some way with an initial release. Either that or it will have some small but irritating technical issue. So, I'm convinced the 13" RMBP is going to have a version 1 limitation. Mind you, even if it doesn't, I probably won't buy it anyway. It sounds like the pricing will be a $500 premium over the regular one. I'll just stick with my SSDified 13" Core 2 Duo MBP for now. Given that my laptop needs are relatively light (MS Office, VPN, etc.) I'm fine with the performance. My main issue with the MBP is the weight. I considered the Air, but I don't like the screen so much on the Air.

In the meantime, here are some pictures of the new 13" RMBP:

http://bbs.weiphone.com/read-htm-tid-5337695.html

It looks like a 13" Air, but with dual Thunderbolt, plus HDMI, and a 2560x1600 screen.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 20, 2012, 12:31 PM

Yea, if the reviews have lagging issues with the 1600p display and integrated graphics I may get the non-Retina or just fix the Acer.

Latest rumors point to a $329 base price for the iPad mini... yow. Does this imply it will be Retina branded with the same pixel density as the iPhone 4?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Oct 20, 2012, 02:01 PM

Yea, if the reviews have lagging issues with the 1600p display and integrated graphics I may get the non-Retina or just fix the Acer.
Latest rumors point to a $329 base price for the iPad mini... yow. Does this imply it will be Retina branded with the same pixel density as the iPhone 4?
It beter have Retina for that price. I was really hoping the iPad mini (with standard iPad 2 resolution) would be around $199 or $249. But if it's $329, I'll just get a Nexus 7 (and the 32 Gb Nexus 7 will be $249 as of October 29).

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2012, 03:00 PM

$329 would be too expensive for me, but even at that price I can see it selling loads.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 20, 2012, 03:04 PM

If they're selling the base mini for over $300 then they're missing the mark. Personally, I think Apple will bring it in at under that price point, between $249 and $279. People have been talking about the €249 leak, and it could be true, but I'd say that's after VAT, and considering Apple's never been one to really cut Europe much of a break, I think $250 is still plausible.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 20, 2012, 04:11 PM

I mentioned this elsewhere, but I think this will suffer the version 1 issues so many Apple products suffer, because Apple often designs for 1-2 generations in the future. I'm thinking this is actually built for Haswell's GPU, but Haswell won't be out until next year. So, why do I say that? Because 13" RMBP pics seem to suggest that the 13" rMBP does not have room for a separate GPU.

And by that time, it will also get 802.11ac. Going with the 13" Retina MacBook Pro in 2012 puts you at the lower end of the totem pole going forward on two fronts: GPU power and WiFi speed.

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
If they're selling the base mini for over $300 then they're missing the mark. Personally, I think Apple will bring it in at under that price point, between $249 and $279. People have been talking about the €249 leak, and it could be true, but I'd say that's after VAT, and considering Apple's never been one to really cut Europe much of a break, I think $250 is still plausible.
I think the base price will be between $249 and $299. If there's a $329 (or $319) price, perhaps that in Canada.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 20, 2012, 05:02 PM

Over US$300 is suicide. Especially if it's a worthless 8GB model.

P
Oct 22, 2012, 03:58 AM

Remember how the rumors on the iPad were that it would launch at $999? The rumor sites generally have a bad record for prices.

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
I mentioned this elsewhere, but I think this will suffer the version 1 issues so many Apple products suffer, because Apple often designs for 1-2 generations in the future. I'm thinking this is actually built for Haswell's GPU, but Haswell won't be out until next year. So, why do I say that? Because 13" RMBP pics seem to suggest that the 13" rMBP does not have room for a separate GPU.
Persistent rumors claim that Apple pushed VERY hard for a "GT3" version of the GPU in Ivy Bridge, but no other OEMs were interested, so Intel killed it. Now GT3 arrives with Haswell instead.

Intel still won't confirm that Haswell will have the Crystalwell "L4 cache"/backside graphics memory. Without that and still stuck on DDR3, there is only so much that better graphics hardware can do. All the design indicates that Crystalwell at least was the plan, but it may have been cut for process issues. The fact that the Wii has something like it is a good sign, however.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 22, 2012, 06:25 AM

I think Apple releases high rumor prices on purpose.

I've decided that I really don't have a need for a smaller iPad, but I would like to purge all 30 pin dock connectors from my house. Having to use both is kind of annoying. #firstworldproblems

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Oct 22, 2012, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Over US$300 is suicide. Especially if it's a worthless 8GB model.
Although imagine the fun Apple fanboys will have in explaining that even with only 8gb there is still some free space leftover. The 32gb Surface apparently has only about 20gb of free space.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2012, 09:11 AM

I've got a Nexus 7 with 8GB of space. if you keep your music in the cloud, that's actually not bad for a media consumption device.

P
Oct 22, 2012, 09:27 AM

An 8 GB version makes sense for education, if it's mostly for books. Wonder if Apple will make an education only 8GB model at cut-rate prices, to catch'em young?
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 22, 2012, 09:56 AM

Except that most e-textbooks are massive in size.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 22, 2012, 10:00 AM

Tart them up for iBooks, and you've maxed the thing out after two classes.

FireWire
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2012, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
In the meantime, here are some pictures of the new 13" RMBP:
http://bbs.weiphone.com/read-htm-tid-5337695.html
I think you mistakenly posted the lyrics to Gangnam style

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 23, 2012, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
An 8 GB version makes sense for education, if it's mostly for books. Wonder if Apple will make an education only 8GB model at cut-rate prices, to catch'em young?

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
Except that most e-textbooks are massive in size.

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Tart them up for iBooks, and you've maxed the thing out after two classes.
epubs are tiny. You guys talking about pdfs?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 23, 2012, 03:38 AM

There's going to be a live stream so I hear.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 23, 2012, 05:54 AM

http://www.apple.com/apple-events/october-2012/

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 23, 2012, 06:21 AM

How long has it been since they streamed one of these? Years and years.

I've always been surprised at how they let the vast majority of their most loyal customers view these events through a live blog.

They spend so much time and energy polishing their message and putting on these shows, and rather then having everyone watch them directly, we get to read everything in paraphrased text snippets filtered through cynical bloggers.

P
Oct 23, 2012, 09:14 AM

I think they stopped streaming when interest grew to the point where semi-functional streams were no longer acceptable. Now they think they can do it again - it's sorta working, but it stutters.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 23, 2012, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by FireWire View Post
I think you mistakenly posted the lyrics to Gangnam style
You can't tell the difference between Chinese hanzi and Korean hangul?

andi*pandi
Oct 23, 2012, 09:24 AM

Hmm, the page has not started streaming yet.

P
Oct 23, 2012, 09:25 AM

First up was a 13" MBP with Retina. Only downside seems to be that it only has integrated graphics. What's the point about dual microphones - some form of noise cancellation?

EDIT: Next was a Mac mini, just an Ivy Bridge update and SSD option.

Now the iMac, which looks thin enough to cut oneself on. Let's just say that I'm fairly sure they've cut the optical drive, and if there's a full-size HDD in there it must be in some for of spacetime distortion.

EDIT again: There is a spacetime distortion. Apparently the iMac is thick enough at the center to make it fit. Even more interesting, Apple seems to have made some form of L2ARC/ZIL (SSD as cache for the HDD) called Fusiondrive. Wonder if we can make that work on any old iMac?

CPU is obviously Ivy Bridge. GPU is either 640M (21.5" base) or 660M (27" base) but the wording makes me think that there are more powerful models available.

P
Oct 23, 2012, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Hmm, the page has not started streaming yet.
You have to manually push the play button.

andi*pandi
Oct 23, 2012, 09:33 AM

I think I've been netnannied.

ha, ipad to the rescue.

fusion drive?

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Oct 23, 2012, 09:40 AM

Still no new MacPro, unbelievable.

P
Oct 23, 2012, 09:42 AM

fusion drive?
Yep, that's the big news. Can't wait to hear what I'll have to do to make that work on this old thing.

andi*pandi
Oct 23, 2012, 10:27 AM

Baby ipads are not as cheap as I'd hoped. Sorry kids, not this Christmas...

Wondering how hard it is to hold in one hand, with the smaller frame/grip area.

P
Oct 23, 2012, 10:43 AM

$329 seems like a price to drive off demand, almost (to avoid lack of stock or cannibalization of more profitable models). I'm sure they could have made it to $299 at least.

Also, thinking about it a bit, I suspect that Fusion drive may be simply Intel's SRT in sheep's clothing. Not because if makes great sense - Apple said that it was built in to ML and they like to do that sort of thing in software - but because my iMac is the last one that doesn't support SRT.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 23, 2012, 10:50 AM

I streamed it over LTE. 1.388 gigabytes.

That's crazy. While the feed was looked amazing in HD and only lagged slightly a few times, I think I would rather have them stream me a scaled down version and use less data.

Anywho...

$329 is too high in my mind. I'd much rather fork over the extra dough and get a 10" iPad. Especially since the Mini has a non-retina display and a much slower processor.

I was really hoping we'd get a "wow" price from them. $329 is not a "wow" price.

I'm guessing that October is the new iPad month from here on out, which makes a lot more sense.

Also, am I crazy or does no one really care how thin an iMac is. You just stare at the front of it 99% of the time, so who cares. Here's an idea, don't make it so thin, make it so you can open it up and swap components.

The coolest thing they talked about was the Fusion Drive. I wonder if you will be able to set it up yourself somehow using one of these...

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/drive_bracket/datadoubler/

ajprice
Professional Poster
Oct 23, 2012, 10:50 AM

There's a regular Mac mini with quad core now, it was just in the server before. I like this.

The ipad mini costs maybe a bit more than I hoped, but it does start at 16GB and not 8GB that a few rumours were saying.

My old MacBook is getting on now, first thought is to go for a Mac/iPad mini combo. Time to start saving, or flex the plastic

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 23, 2012, 10:55 AM

My first thought was that they were just installing an SSD and HDD and having the OS spread the data about in a clever fashion. It works in the Mini too apparently. Hadn't been aware of a 3TB 2.5" drive though....
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 23, 2012, 10:57 AM

Do we think the new desktop Macs have standard SO-DIMMs in them?

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 23, 2012, 10:58 AM

Pretty stoked about the new iPad mini. I'm seriously contemplating copping the 32 GB wi-fi model for couch surfing, eBook reading, and travel. My 13 inch MBA would then be a work machine only.

OAW

andi*pandi
Oct 23, 2012, 11:08 AM

$229 would have been my price point, or slightly more than whatever the Fire is going for. Don't need cellular, just want to load it with kid movies and replace our aging portable DVD player. For that price I could get two, no fighting. Ah well.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2012, 11:10 AM

Just had to throw it out there that they did in fact update the iPads...

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 23, 2012, 11:17 AM

Gotta be confusing that there is now iPad Mini, iPad 2, iPad.

Don't expect that to stay around long.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2012, 11:24 AM

And what about all of the retina iPads with the old connector and "old" processor?

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 23, 2012, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
My first thought was that they were just installing an SSD and HDD and having the OS spread the data about in a clever fashion. It works in the Mini too apparently. Hadn't been aware of a 3TB 2.5" drive though....
The fusion drive on the Mini is a $250 BTO upgrade and says it has a 1TB capacity.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2012, 11:43 AM

Only flaw with the Mac Mini, is that you loose AMD Radeon from the $799 model, all models are integrated video (Intel 4000) on the entire line.

P
Oct 23, 2012, 11:51 AM

Do we think the new desktop Macs have standard SO-DIMMs in them?
The 27" at least has 4 user-accessible SO-DIMM slots. That comment is conspicuously missing from the 21" specs...

http://www.apple.com/imac/specs/

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 23, 2012, 12:04 PM

It looks like they are at least removable in the 21" since it states 2x4GB

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 23, 2012, 12:11 PM

$229 would have been my price point
They wouldn't see many iPod Touches at $299 if the iPad mini cost 20% less

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 23, 2012, 01:08 PM

Fusion drives don't appear to be available as options on the Server. I guess you can just configure the standard one and buy the Server software though so no biggie.

sdilley14
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2012, 01:11 PM

New iMacs look great! I think they look even better because there were no leaks or mock ups or anything leading up to this...completely surprised. Sure, we do only look at it from the front for the most part, but that doesn't mean that it still isn't a great looking piece of hardware. And of course the internal upgrades are great, too.

The iPad mini is pretty much as expected from all the leaks and mock ups. I still think it looks pretty great. And at that price, I'm very tempted. Keeping it at that $299 mental price threshold might have been in their better interest, but going $29 above that isn't going to stop me if I want it. Sure, I could shell out another $170 to get the full sized iPad...but I think, for my purposes of just couch surfing and traveling, I think something smaller like this is going to be more practical. I have my 13" MBA for everything else. I'm going to have to do a comparison with my iPhone though to see if it is a worthwhile addition...enough of an upgraded experience from using my iPhone to justify the purchase.
2.3 GHz Intel i5 MacBook Pro
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 23, 2012, 01:16 PM

Starting from 339€. Thats $439.

FFS.

andi*pandi
Oct 23, 2012, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
True. But then ipod Touches should be more like $199, amirite?

P
Oct 23, 2012, 02:14 PM

Fusion drives don't appear to be available as options on the Server. I guess you can just configure the standard one and buy the Server software though so no biggie.
Someone at Ars had a theory. You can concatenate two drives in Disk Utility, if you like - software JBOD. We already know that OS X moves files around to put the most used files on the inner track of an HDD. Now say that you make a JBOD of an SSD and an HDD and let that optimization algorithm know where the SSD ended and the HDD started, and then set it to do its magic on all files. Doesn't that sound a lot like Fusion drive?

P
Oct 23, 2012, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
I disagree. These are two very different markets - you can't fit the iPad mini in your pocket.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 23, 2012, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Starting from 339€. Thats $439.

FFS.
Including sales tax.

Forum Links
Forum Rules