Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > So, should I go AT&T or Verizon? ...

So, should I go AT&T or Verizon? ...
cmeisenzahl
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 28, 2011, 03:00 PM

Getting ready to get a new iPhone5 once they hit the streets. I'm currently a Sprint customer but plan to switch carriers even if Sprint gets the iPhone; Sprint coverage at my house is really poor.

So, which carrier should I choose (AT&T, or Verizon), and why? Both look to have equally good coverage in my area.

Thanks in advance!

Chris

mkral
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 28, 2011, 03:49 PM

CM, defintiely depends on which carrier offers better coverage where you work. All else being equal, the AT&T one allows you to surf & talk at the same time, and to travel internationally (although the international thing may be a wash after the update).

I'm with sprint as well, although if they get the iphone, I'll be sticking with them. FYI, if you have good coverage elsewhere & just have problems at home, Sprint will (or at least they did with me) send you one of those femtocells that you plug into your hi speed internet at home. I had to sign another 2 year contract, but they sent the device for free & then waived the $5 charge each month. Completely solved my coverage problems inside the house. (Not trying to convert you, I couldn't care less who you end up with, just an FYI.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 28, 2011, 03:57 PM

I think AT&T and Verizon's prices are quite similar, with Verizon's being perhaps a little more competitive. I care about GSM support so my next phone will most likely be an unlocked GSM phone, but I would never buy another one locked to AT&T because of their discriminatory policy toward iPhone customers who wish to unlock their phones.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 28, 2011, 04:45 PM

VZW.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 28, 2011, 05:56 PM

If you travel outside the U.S., AT&T. If you never leave the U.S., pick whichever gets better reception in your area.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 28, 2011, 06:29 PM

The Verizon iPhone 5 will be a worldphone (the VZW iPhone 4 could have been if Apple bothered to put in a GSM antenna, it has a dual-mode CDMA/GSM radio).

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 29, 2011, 01:37 PM

Is the coverage what the providers claim?

If it is, don't trust it. Ask people with iPhones (that part's important) how their reception is.

amazing
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2011, 06:55 PM

Basically, invite someone with an iPhone of either flavors over to your house for barbecue and drinks and see what reception and speed the flavors get. Don't pay attention to the reception bars--Apple has messed with those to give a more cheerful picture.

Nothing more frustrating than having bad reception at home--unless it's having bad reception at work?

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 29, 2011, 08:09 PM

Verizon. I travelled x-country with my best friend who has an iPhone with AT&T, and it constantly lost signal ie 0 bars, my Verizon flip phone would have 2-3. I am staying with Verizon once the 4S/5 comes out. Can't wait

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 29, 2011, 09:51 PM

Don't forget...on Verizon you can't get data when you're on a voice call.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 29, 2011, 10:33 PM

I've been around the country a fair bit too with my AT&T iPhone 4 and rarely had problems.

The coverage thing is really hard to assess because everybody has their little anecdotal stories. I tend to not weigh them very highly, and since AFAIK the voice and data network are different a lot of people don't realize this and may have had bad experience with one and not the other, and for me I care far more about the data network than I do the voice network.

I hate the Verizon stores and having to go into them to do stuff you can't do on their site. This may have changed, but it used to be a PITA. The AT&T site is far more self-serve.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 30, 2011, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by amazing View Post
Nothing more frustrating than having bad reception at home--unless it's having bad reception at work?
In theory, you can improve this on AT&T with a Microcell.

In reality, apart from the overall bullshit implications of it, I can't say mine works that well. It dies a lot, and calls can be difficult to make. Texts work well* if the Microcell is giving you a signal.

*MMSs can be hit or miss.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Oct 3, 2011, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
I think AT&T and Verizon's prices are quite similar, with Verizon's being perhaps a little more competitive.
I'm not sure that this is accurate. I plan on getting an iPhone for my wife and have been deciding whether to add her to my ATT plan or let her stay on her family's verizon plan. Verizon doesn't have a data plan cheaper than $30 (2gb) while ATT has the 250mb plan and a cheaper 2gb plan ($25). ATT did do away with their $5 and $10 texting plans though.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 3, 2011, 02:38 PM

I say never listen to people on the internet go on about which phone gets better reception, because this is entirely dependent on where you are - Verizon and any other carrier has reception issues in places too, this is just the nature of cell phone service.

Talk with people in your area about their service, and make sure you differentiate between the data and voice networks so that you know what low signal they have been getting. In areas where the voice signal is really low but your internet connection you could also always use Skype.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2011, 02:45 AM

I have an at&t iPhone (personal) and a VZW phone (company phone)

I know that here in various parts of Atlanta there are drastic speed differences:

at&t: 5.46 mpbs down, 1.22 mpbs up
vzw: 0.39 mbps down, 0.70 mbps up

Also: The highest iOS version on Verizon is 4.2.10, while at&t is on 4.3.5. So, vzw misses a few things such as iCloud music sync and the ability to turn off 3g and rely on wifi only. 4.2.10 also has a bug with my e-mail address when used with MobileMe. Hopefully these things get resolved in a few weeks when iOS 5 comes out and brings parity to the CDMA vs GSM platforms.

The battery life is noticeably less on Verizon. I don't have exact numbers, but my at&t phone is generally still in the 90% range while at&t is in the low 80% range. (Assuming I'm doing similar things on both.)

Dropped calls is equally bad on both carriers.

Others have mentioned the talk / surf issue on CDMA devices.

GSM is better for international travel.

So, for *my* needs at&t is the way to go. Coverage may change things considerably depending on where you live.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2011, 07:19 AM

Both offer micro-cells when necessary.

Testing friend's earlier iPhones' reception perhaps is a waste, because the 4s will be a new very different antenna system that I expect to be much improved. E.g. at my Tahoe location I get zero signal from my iPhone 3G yet my friend's iPhone 4 works.

I prefer AT&T because they have been reasonably easy to deal with. Especially after 7 previous horrendous years with Sprint.

-Allen

cgc
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2011, 07:34 AM

amazing
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2011, 02:32 PM

It seems that Sprint is running out of money--no idea what that means for a 2-year contract?

Sprint surprises with speedy 4G rollout - Oct. 7, 2011

And the above-quoted rate comparison article forgets that Sprint adds a $10 smartphone charge to every plan, so the totals are $10/month low for Sprint.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 10, 2011, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by driven View Post

Others have mentioned the talk / surf issue on CDMA devices.

GSM is better for international travel.
Can some one with a VZW Iphone confirm this? I was told you can surf and talk using WiFi.

As far as international travel is concerned, The 4S is a world phone.

courtesy of Mobile magazine
45/47

Cold Warrior
Oct 10, 2011, 12:39 PM

Yes, it's a world phone, but Apple's page says provider roaming rates may apply. So unless it's an unlocked model (factory or hacked), it looks like the provider will make you pay their international roaming rates.

Cold Warrior
Oct 10, 2011, 12:44 PM

Ref the topic, do you send international texts? I've had better luck sending and receiving texts with Russia using at&t than I ever did with VZW. Note that it's been 2 years since I've used VZW for texting Russia. I'm not sure if being all-GSM smoothed the communications or what.

Simultaneous cell data + talk is important enough to me to stick with at&t. VZW however has better coverage in rural areas that I find myself in a few times a year. If VZW 3G speeds didn't stink compared to at&t, and they could do 3G data + talk, I'd consider a switch, assuming texting with Russia worked too.

amazing
Professional Poster
Oct 10, 2011, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Yes, it's a world phone, but Apple's page says provider roaming rates may apply. So unless it's an unlocked model (factory or hacked), it looks like the provider will make you pay their international roaming rates.
Yes, but with Apple's marketing, the devil's in the details. Apparently, when you buy a VZW 4S, the FAQ says it has the ability to roam internationally with the "provided GSM microSIM." Any bets that this GSM microSIM is locked to Vodaphone?

On top of that, you will pay:

"NOTE (12:26am): Now that I’ve been through the Verizon sales process, to enable the global SIM option, you have to choose to enroll in a global roaming package, which starts at $30 per month. Chances are, you could do this for a month and cancel — or enroll at a later date if needed be."

2 guesses as to how expensive the GSM roaming rates will be? Will they be the same as a pay-as-you-go microSIMs?

iPhone 4S: Even Unlocked, You Won’t Be Network Swapping This Phone

Forum Links
Forum Rules