Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Memory is Gone under 9.0.4

Memory is Gone under 9.0.4
Madison
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 11, 2003, 05:41 PM

Hello,

Just updated my father-in-laws' PowerMac 6500/250 from 8.6 to 9.0.4, and now it only recognizes 64mb instead of the 128mb that was there, anyone have any ideas why? The memory has been in for two years and working flawlessly until now...this sucks because the unit was barely usable before, now it's even less so. Any help would be great...thanks.

Tom King

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2003, 12:18 AM

Strange. Have you tried zapping the PRAM?

Madison  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 13, 2003, 04:02 PM

Yes, I have zapped the pram, rebuilt the desktop, so far, nothing has worked. It's the same whether I start with extensions off or on, so I don't think it's a conflict. Looks like I'm buying a new memory chip.

paul kempin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 13, 2003, 09:41 PM

Originally posted by Madison:
Hello,

Just updated my father-in-laws' PowerMac 6500/250 from 8.6 to 9.0.4, and now it only recognizes 64mb instead of the 128mb that was there, anyone have any ideas why? The memory has been in for two years and working flawlessly until now...this sucks because the unit was barely usable before, now it's even less so. Any help would be great...thanks.

Tom King
Here's some advice I picked up from another forum. Some of the the ideas might be some help to you before you buy new memory.

First, try holding the option+command keys down and open your memory control
panel. You should see a radio button for disabling the memory test at
startup ... this affects nothing else, just doesn't allow the rom to test
the memory for problems before booting.
Also, if you have added components lately, esp ram, look for the CUDA button
on the motherboard (it's a red button I think-could be black, usually buried somewhere on the
motherboard near memory chips). Unplug your computer, take out the battery & let it sit for
about 10 minutes (to allow any electricity/static build-up to discharge)
Touch a metal piece on the case & push & hold the CUDA button a few times.
That will reset all the parameters of the computer & help it recognize any
new components as "native".
Change your battery (unless you bought/installed it less than a year ago).
Check to be certain all your ram is seated properly.

Good luck

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 14, 2003, 01:35 AM

I installed a 128MB module that worked on the first boot... Subsequently, the module was no longer recognized, and I continued to operate the machine while it recognized only the previously installed memory (96MBs). One day I booted my machine and it failed to wake the monitor. It was eventually found that the module I had installed was what prevented it from booting. So, try reseating the RAM (as the other poster suggested), and if that doesn't work the module's probably bad.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules