Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iChat not working after adding VOIP phone service to my network

iChat not working after adding VOIP phone service to my network
ilesh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 3, 2004, 12:09 AM

I got one of those VOIP phones recently. My cable modem hooks into the VOIP box and then I connect my computer to the VOIP box so I am guessing the VOIP box pulls the IP on the outside and then gives the computer an IP. The computer's IP is 172.25.XX.XX. I am guessing this is some sort of internal IP? I have a single computer connected.

When I launch iChat I get the 'The connection to the host was unexpectedly lost' message. If I remove the VOIP box and connect the computer directly to the cable modem then iChat works fine.

Do I need a proxy server? However my cable provider (COMCAST) won't dish out the addresses for their proxy servers.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Ilesh

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2004, 12:43 AM

Originally posted by ilesh:
I got one of those VOIP phones recently. My cable modem hooks into the VOIP box and then I connect my computer to the VOIP box so I am guessing the VOIP box pulls the IP on the outside and then gives the computer an IP. The computer's IP is 172.25.XX.XX. I am guessing this is some sort of internal IP? I have a single computer connected.

When I launch iChat I get the 'The connection to the host was unexpectedly lost' message. If I remove the VOIP box and connect the computer directly to the cable modem then iChat works fine.

Do I need a proxy server? However my cable provider (COMCAST) won't dish out the addresses for their proxy servers.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Ilesh
Did you ever get this figured out? I just got VOIP and iChat is doing the same thing. Oddly enough Adium works, but Adium has never let me correctly do file transfers. It's weird because sometimes iChat connects other times I get "connection lost."

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2004, 12:50 AM

Just a simple port change in the preferences cleared it up fore me!

ilesh  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2004, 02:16 AM

Originally posted by the_glassman:
Just a simple port change in the preferences cleared it up fore me!

No, I never figured it out. I just assumed I needed a router to sort out this issue.

My experience is exactly the same as yours - sometimes iChat works, other times it doesn't (connection lost message). When it doesn't work I have to go through the painful process of unhooking the VOIP box.

Port change in iChat's preferences? At the moment it connects to login.oscar.aol.com via port 5190. Did you just change the port number? If so, what did you change it to?

Thanks for all the help.

Ilesh

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2004, 02:23 AM

No, I never figured it out. I just assumed I needed a router to sort out this issue.

My experience is exactly the same as yours - sometimes iChat works, other times it doesn't (connection lost message). When it doesn't work I have to go through the painful process of unhooking the VOIP box.

Port change in iChat's preferences? At the moment it connects to login.oscar.aol.com via port 5190. Did you just change the port number? If so, what did you change it to?

Thanks for all the help.

Ilesh
I changed the port from 5190 to 5191, seems to be working well so far. Give it a shot.

ilesh  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2004, 02:33 AM

Okay. I will try it. Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Ilesh

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2004, 02:16 PM

Okay. I will try it. Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Ilesh
Any luck? Who are you using for VOIP?

ilesh  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2004, 07:38 PM

Have just moved so will try it when I have broadband again. I have Lingo - works really well. Only had one issue which tech support sorted out quite fast.

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2004, 08:13 PM

Have just moved so will try it when I have broadband again. I have Lingo - works really well. Only had one issue which tech support sorted out quite fast.
I've got Lingo as well and love it! Let me know if it works out for you.

ilesh  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 13, 2004, 10:00 PM

Just reconnected my Lingo box. iChat is working fine now with the change in port number.

Thanks.

Ilesh

Stecchino
Forum Regular
Feb 10, 2005, 01:31 PM

Just reconnected my Lingo box. iChat is working fine now with the change in port number.

Thanks.

Ilesh
Same problem here. I connected my Lingo router and I received the same iChat error. Then I changed the port to 5191 and Voila!!!

Thanks guys, forums are the greatest.

ilesh  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2005, 10:13 PM

Actually, now that I have used iChat for a while I am finding the port number change is only semi-helpful. I find that text chatting is fine but I can;t audio or video chat with anyone.

Ilesh

Stecchino
Forum Regular
Feb 11, 2005, 09:41 AM

Normally, I audio and video chat almost every day in my business and I posted that reply yesterday before I had a chance to test the audio and video chatting. I'll try it out today and let you know.

Stecchino
Forum Regular
Feb 11, 2005, 02:33 PM

I checked this morning and I had a video chat with a co-worker without any complications. I do NOT have an external router, mind you, which makes things simpler.

It simply goes like this:

Cable Modem >>>> Lingo Router >>>> My eMac

Forum Links
Forum Rules