Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Wireless G vs. N

Wireless G vs. N
MattJeff
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 24, 2007, 08:09 PM

i Know which is faster but does anyone have specs/numbers on these to see just what the speed difference is?
My sister was thinking about giving me her wireless base station but its only up to a G and i wanted to see the difference with G and N before i decide to buy N or accept G.

MattJeff  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 24, 2007, 08:10 PM

not just apples 5x faster either. i mean benchmarks like for diff. apps and tasks. thanks

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jun 24, 2007, 08:24 PM

My DSL connection is 3 Mbps. For generosity's sake, I'll assume yours is 6 or even 10 Mbps. 802.11g is 55 Mbps. N is ridiculously faster than that, but are you even going to notice the difference when G is already most likely over 5 times the speed of your Internet connection?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2007, 08:30 PM

I can't give you any numbers, but I think you'll only see a benefit if you move files over your internal network between computers (both need n) or between your computer and a NAS. Otherwise as CharlesS said, your internet connection (not to mention the servers you visit) is the bottleneck.

MattJeff  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 24, 2007, 10:04 PM

ok so it only helps if im using it to hook up my back up on. sweet, thanks for the help.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2007, 10:06 PM

I am not exaggerating. My N Airport base station gives me throughput about 10 times as high as my G Airport base station.

post_break
Forum Regular
Jun 24, 2007, 10:39 PM

With N i can stream high definition video where as with G I could not without a hiccup. Right now it says that I am connected at 270mb but im sure the speed is much less than that. If you got 55mb out of wireless G then you deserve a handshake.

MattJeff  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 28, 2007, 07:34 PM

amazing

Forum Links
Forum Rules