Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Gloss or Non Gloss?

Gloss or Non Gloss?
Geofries
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 21, 2007, 08:30 PM

The Apple Store in Houston only has Non Gloss 15" MBPs.

Is one significantly better than the other?

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 21, 2007, 09:17 PM

Take a while (a LONG while) and see what the consensus (actually the LACK of a consensus) is here. I have a matte screen on mine and it's great. A classmate has a glossy screen on her 17" and it's great too (and HUGE!). There are some situations where my screen is a bit more readable than hers (lots of ambient light sources), and in other situations, hers shows colors more vividly. I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

However, if you find that there's something irritating about the screen on any Mac you buy, TAKE IT UP WITH APPLE. There should be no flicker, no starbursts, no "graininess", or any other annoying feature in a new Mac's display, so if you find something that's bothersome, have Apple do something about it.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2007, 10:07 PM

As for a consensus, I prefer the matte finish. I have a Macbook and while the glossy screen is ok, I prefer the matte.

jebjeb
Senior User
Jun 22, 2007, 09:17 AM

I find the glossy screens to have more vivid colour but I detest their reflectivity and how much they show up finger prints and smudges.

Much prefer the matte displays.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 22, 2007, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by jebjeb View Post
I find the glossy screens to have more vivid colour but I detest their reflectivity and how much they show up finger prints and smudges.

Ditto.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Geofries  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 23, 2007, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by jebjeb View Post

Interesting. Makes me think of how I have those exact same feelings about my current Mac Book. I can't stand the reflectiveness, and the smudges and finger prints realllly urk me. Yet, I love the colors.

Hmm...is it safe to say that the matte screen is the same as the one on the iBook G4? Cause I used to have one of those, so i can use that as a reference in my decision if theyre the same.

alainmeyer1
Jun 23, 2007, 03:35 PM

I feel that with glossy screens you require less brightness to be easily visible.

But matte is more work. If you spend a long time in front of the screen it may be nicer.

Geofries  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 23, 2007, 04:56 PM

For gaming, because that's going to be a big thing for me, would you guys suggest gloss?

highstakes
Senior User
Jun 23, 2007, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Geofries View Post
For gaming, because that's going to be a big thing for me, would you guys suggest gloss?
I would say go with matte for gaming. I had a glossy screen on my previous laptop, and it was annoying to play Red Alert 2 becuase you could see so much reflection on the screen.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2007, 06:56 PM

I think it's funny how sensitive people get about defending their choice of screen coating.
It's one of the few issues where many people on both sides feel that the other side is a bunch of blind drooling retards.
Go to an Apple Store and see both displays for yourself. It'd be nice if you could take both outside to view them in a non-fluorescent setting, but I doubt they'll let you do that.

jaybert
Jun 30, 2007, 12:16 AM

any other comments on this subject? I have a matte coming in from a campus reseller. thinking if its worth it to bring it to apple and ask if they would be willing to do an even exchange for a glossy one. i plan on going to the apple store tomorrow to check out both and see which one I like more

highstakes
Senior User
Jun 30, 2007, 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
It's one of the few issues where many people on both sides feel that the other side is a bunch of blind drooling retards.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 30, 2007, 08:40 AM

I think it's funny how sensitive people get about defending their choice of screen coating.
Go to an Apple Store and see both displays for yourself. It'd be nice if you could take both outside to view them in a non-fluorescent setting, but I doubt they'll let you do that.
Originally Posted by highstakes View Post
I have to agree with mduell on this. There have been some rather heated debates here about this very subject (I've been way too deep in one of 'em) and it all boiled down to "butter side up" versus "butter side down." Who CARES whether someone else thinks you chose a good screen treatment, as long as YOU do. It's YOUR computer, YOU use it, YOU have to live with your decision. Mduell's advice above is first-rate: GO LOOK AT BOTH FOR YOURSELF, then make a decision.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 30, 2007, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by highstakes View Post
Go read the old threads on this. People become downright virulent over opinions on this.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2007, 09:04 AM

Go read the old threads on this. People become downright virulent over opinions on this.
People seems downright virulent on every subject here including display sizes, hard drive makers, chip set designations,e.g., santa rosa, and of course mb vs mbp, etc.

MattJeff
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2007, 01:21 PM

i like matte
glossy isn't bad, its just not my cup of tea (and im a self-employed photographer so i need correct colors). i agree with going to an apple store to check them out yourself.

jaybert
Jun 30, 2007, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by MattJeff View Post
i like matte
glossy isn't bad, its just not my cup of tea (and im a self-employed photographer so i need correct colors). i agree with going to an apple store to check them out yourself.

actually just did that about an hr or two ago..and have decided to stick with the matte! There was just too much glare on the glossy ones. it could have been the fluorescent lights in the apple store that magnified it, but seeing my reflection on the screen was pretty annoying

On a side note, they still had plenty of iphones as of 11:00am at the willow bend store in plano, tx

VValdo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 30, 2007, 02:09 PM

After hearing a ton of "glossy isn't so bad" comments, I decided to really consider it... up until a friend with a 17" glossy needed help. It was at a coffee shop, and I sat with my back to the outside, and the reflections from the street were really annoying.

So I'm sticking with matte.

W

PS-- FWIW, my friend insists glare is not a problem for him. But also, after using it, the initial "hey the colors are way better" effect kinda wore off for me too.

PPS-- caveat: his screen was REALLY dirty, which may have highlit the reflections.

go.mouse
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 30, 2007, 03:25 PM

My 17" MBP has a matte screen. It's almost as bright as the 17" glossy, without any reflections. But for 15" I do think the glossy one is brighter the the matte. It was a tough choice when I was shopping in the Apple Store in Lynwood, WA. 15" or 17", matte or glossy.
Macbook Pro 2.4 17"

voicebox
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 30, 2007, 05:50 PM

Hi-res Matt.
"If you don't like the heat, don't go in the kitchen!"
17" Core2duo MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz 4Gb/160HD Snow Leopard 10.6.8 || 15" PowerBook 1Gz 1Gb/120 HD Tiger 10.4.11|| 24" iMac 3.06Gz 4Gb/2TB HD Yosemite10.10.2

highstakes
Senior User
Jul 1, 2007, 01:58 AM

Man, you were'nt kidding

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 1, 2007, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by voicebox View Post
Hi-res Matt.
That sounds like a new member's nickname!

"Posted by Hi-res Matt: I love my MBP!"

Stout
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 1, 2007, 04:41 PM

I'm also trying to decide the same for myself, but reading all of these posts about it is quite amusing. No matter where you look, or how many different threads, reviews, or blog entries discuss the topic, you'll eventually come to one conclusion. I need to go see the damned things for myself. This is one of those issues where it's personal preference that weighs out in the long run. Glossy owners say that their screen is by far better looking and the color isn't as much of a problem as the inconsistent colors used by different printers anyway. Matte owners say that their color is "true" and their screens don't act like a mirror. So however you shake it up, it's still going to come down to what YOU want. I wish it wasn't this way, since the closest Apple store to me is about 3 hours away, but alas, that's what it comes down to. Take my advice, you may find that a person with no experience in either matte or glossy laptops knows best.

pcryan5
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 1, 2007, 05:58 PM

I got rid of my macbook - the glossy was not usable in many work areas. Matte works for me.

bballe336
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 1, 2007, 09:49 PM

I find the glossy screens almost unusable. So for me matte is the way to go.

voicebox
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 2, 2007, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
That sounds like a new member's nickname!

"Posted by Hi-res Matt: I love my MBP!"

Now why didn't I think of that ...!!
"If you don't like the heat, don't go in the kitchen!"
17" Core2duo MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz 4Gb/160HD Snow Leopard 10.6.8 || 15" PowerBook 1Gz 1Gb/120 HD Tiger 10.4.11|| 24" iMac 3.06Gz 4Gb/2TB HD Yosemite10.10.2

Felix
Forum Regular
Sep 29, 2007, 04:08 AM

So this issue is not a clear yes/no question...

Under what conditions it a glossy screen prefferable?

Movies? Photoshop or iMovie work?

Are the brighter colors more accurate?

A direct comparision in a Mac Stroe did unfortunately not lead to a clear decision, yet. But they had only a stupid demo running with a small movie window in the centre.

Is there a specific programm which I should use to se the difference?

Kidn regards,

Felix
2007 MacBook Pro 2.4 4 GByte RAM 320/7000 HD
2000 Powerbook Pismo G3 500 MHz, 640 MByte RAM, 40 GByte HD, Airport, NewerTech Battery, integrated DVD/CD-R(W) running Mac OS 10.4.11

Tim Collier
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2007, 04:20 AM

Well, for me my MacBook which has the glossy screen is perfectly fine for what I use it for. In my opinion, the colours are more vivid which does matter to me, that's why I like it.

Matte is also great, especially for games. Matte finish looks great on the 24" Cinema Display and has a great brightness.

As everyone has said, it just depends on personal preference. Also, glossy screens are super easy to clean.

VValdo
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 29, 2007, 05:17 AM

I ended up w/a matte and I'm REALLY glad I did. I used a friend's glossy and the reflections were super-distracting. This non-gloss is very very easy on the eyes.

W

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2007, 09:53 AM

vote for Gloss.. I had Matte in the beginning as it was the only choice, but I find the gloss clean up MUCH easier, and are brighter.
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
2 x Macbook Pro's 17" 3.06 4 GB RAM, 256GB Solid State drives
iMac 17" Core Duo 1GB RAM, & 2 iPhones 8GB, and a Nano in a pear tree!
Apple user since 1981

dmcnickle
Senior User
Sep 29, 2007, 11:40 AM

I just got a 17" hi-res glossy and love it.
It is a thing of beauty.

hoobershnooger
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 5, 2007, 03:08 AM

i know four people with macbook pro's and all of them have matte screens. i have a macbook, and i much prefer the matte over the glossy. i really don't like the glare, and i have to clean the screen every few days because of the fingerprints (it's weird how you don't touch the monitor yet fingerprints show up.. hmmm). also, the vibrant display of color is nice, but no deciding factor to me.

loki74
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2007, 04:36 AM

imo glossy is nicer, but only if you dont have a window or bright lights situated where they can cast a glare on your screen. Fingerprints and smudges shouldn't be a problem if you take care of your machine.

and ah.... i DO touch my screen from time to time, and I really NEVER get any visible fingerprints. Mainly dust... but I guess you'd get that on a matte screen too, right?

"In a world without walls or fences, what need have we for windows or gates?"

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2007, 06:59 PM

Personal preference, I chose matte. Most graphics pros prefer matte and consider glossy to view as over saturated and over contrasted, which many consumers do prefer, at least on first view.

-Allen Wicks

Forum Links
Forum Rules