Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Help! 1080p external display!

Help! 1080p external display!
danbrew
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 18, 2011, 11:38 AM

i recently finished the basement and ended up putting a 63" Samsung television on the wall. As part of my AV setup I have something called a matrix switch - it will accept hdmi 1.4 input and switch it to the television. I have a windows machine with a hdmi output (Sony Z133) and connects up to my switch and displays on the monitor with no problem. The entire display fits on the screen.

I've been contemplating buying a Mac Mini and using it as a dedicated media box hooked up to this tv full time. Before buying the mini, I bought an apple miniport to hdmi connector and connected my mid-2010 MBP. The MBP correctly identified the receiver (Pioneer VSX-1020) and set itself to 1080p. The default was a 2nd display. I set it to mirror displays, though, and then the top bit and bottom bit of the display was cut off when viewed on the Samsung tv.

Anybody have suggestions on how I might tweak the MBP to get it to "form fit" on the 1080p display? I realize that the mirror might have screwed it up and the video card in the MBP is trying to balance running both displays. The intent is to go to a Mini and have the Samsung be the only display. Anybody using a Mini with a 1080p television? Any tweaking necessary to get the display to fit the 1080p tv? If I gotta tweak, I would prefer to tweak on the mac vs. the tv since I use the tv for other stuff as well.

thanks!

danbrew

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 18, 2011, 01:41 PM

The MBP display AR is taller than a 1080p TV. What resolution were you mirroring?

Why were you mirroing at all? Just set the MBP to output 1920x1080 to the TV and keep the built in display at native res (1440x900 or 1680x1050).

danbrew  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 18, 2011, 02:29 PM

Because I don't want to use the display on the laptop - I have a bluetooth wireless keyboard/mouse that I want to use so I can use the device when in another room (video switched to that room). Using it as a second display means I can't see the finder menus, dock, etc. I think...?

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 18, 2011, 03:48 PM

You can drag the menubar from display to display to change which one is "primary".

-Q-
Feb 18, 2011, 04:04 PM

With your MBP connected to the TV, open up the Display settings in System Prefs - there should be an option for 'Overscan' that will adjust the screen to fit correctly. Your TV probably has this feature in its settings, too but adjusting it on the Mac should be all you need.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 18, 2011, 04:38 PM

Connect Display.

Put Mac to sleep by closing lid.

Wake up Mac using external keyboard.

ibook_steve
Feb 18, 2011, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Connect Display.

Put Mac to sleep by closing lid.

Wake up Mac using external keyboard.
That won't necessarily prevent the overscan.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

danbrew  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 18, 2011, 05:50 PM

Awesome, thanks everyone. Got it working now - had to do a little over/underscan on the display dialog box, but it is working well now. Tried closing the lid of the mbp a few times and it kept powering off - figured out it had to be plugged in to the wall in order to make this work...

Now if anybody has a color profile for a Samsung plasma 1080p tv, I'd greatly appreciate a pointer. Colors are a bit off.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 18, 2011, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
That won't necessarily prevent the overscan.

Steve
I was addressing the mirroring/menu bar subject.

Forum Links
Forum Rules