Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Minecraft

Minecraft
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Feb 19, 2011, 11:41 AM

Anyone else get suckered in? This stuff is addictive. Kind of mad at myself for dying on my way back to my fort with the first gold I found.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 19, 2011, 12:23 PM

My son was sitting there, playing Minecraft and explaining how much he enjoyed the game...and then he said something (loudly!) that I'm sure I never taught him... Lava, trapped, that sort of stuff. I'm resisting only because I have too much other stuff to do to start playing a game I know will superglue me to the computer.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 19, 2011, 08:04 PM

I spent a day once playing the web-based "builder" mode. Damn addictive. So I watched a few videos of full game play, which convinced me to stay far, far way if I want to have a life.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Feb 21, 2011, 08:02 AM

Here's my glass underwater lair complete with hot tub and skylight.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 21, 2011, 09:31 AM

Very nice!!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 22, 2011, 10:19 AM

I tried to play this once, but whatever random site I chose was completely unresponsive to anything I pressed so I ditched it.

If someone has a better link, I'll probably give it a go.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 22, 2011, 03:30 PM

I'll just wait for the iOS version to be released.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 23, 2011, 02:04 AM

Minecraft is made by one guy, in Java. There won't be an iOS version.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 23, 2011, 02:24 AM

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 23, 2011, 05:03 AM

Well shut me down...

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 23, 2011, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
minecraft is made by one guy, in java. There won't be an ios version.
ker-pow!!!

andi*pandi
Feb 24, 2011, 03:44 PM

I tried it awhile back. Addictive, but repetitive. I didn't have the patience to build grand things, considering I never found anything in my hollowed out mountain but dirt. Digging will be much easier on an iPad.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 24, 2011, 04:29 PM

You guys and gals need to be careful. Just say no.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 23, 2011, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Anyone else get suckered in? This stuff is addictive. Kind of mad at myself for dying on my way back to my fort with the first gold I found.
Well, I finally watched a video and felt the temptation to try it myself. I did spend 4 hours on it straight, but I wasn't entirely enamored with the gameplay. Trying to survive seemed like a pain in the ass (every morning I had to do a 50 yd sprint from my front door to escape/lure a spider off my roof) and farming resources (haven't quite got the hang of mining yet) without wrecking the nearby landscape is challenging. I don't wonder if some cooperative multi is the answer here.

And of course, I loathe using keyboard/mouse.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 23, 2011, 12:36 PM

Bought it a few weeks ago, and only spent about 20 minutes it on before realizing I needed to read up on what the crap I'm supposed to be doing.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 23, 2011, 12:47 PM

I had the crafting page on wiki open the entire time. I kept forgetting recipes.

andi*pandi
Mar 23, 2011, 12:54 PM

An ingame way to look up recipes, and see a map of where you are, would be great.

I keep having to build new forts because the world I'm in is covered in snow and everything looks the same.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 23, 2011, 01:05 PM

Snow? That sucks.

I had to rebuild my place twice (frantically) because one of those jerkass ass-plode! dudes kept ninjaing up to me when I working outside. Now it's just Tarantualville (though that, too seems to subsiding). It was awful, too, because after a remodel I had a glass ceiling and the Tarantulas would just spend entire nights staring down at me, taunting me as I worked.

andi*pandi
Mar 23, 2011, 01:56 PM

One thing snowballs are good for is pelting thru windows at tarantulas etc.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2011, 02:51 PM

Put an overhang on the walls and the spiders can't climb on your roof. Then you can bash them through the closed door.

I've been working on a bit of a rail system between my obligatory castle, the pit mine, and a sand dune. I need more iron though so it's back into caves again.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 23, 2011, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by BLAZE_MkIV View Post
Put an overhang on the walls and the spiders can't climb on your roof.
Thanks for the advice, but my abode is currently built into the side of a hill.

Then you can bash them through the closed door.
I am curious how you do that, however.

I've been working on a bit of a rail system between my obligatory castle, the pit mine, and a sand dune. I need more iron though so it's back into caves again.
I was just thinking that I might just create a tunnel through one of the hills, just for hell of it (I could use the cobblestone, too, I suppose).

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2011, 03:44 PM

My first house was to, haven't cleaned up the remains yet. Turn around and back out the door looking up and them hit them in the legs as the move to the edge. I had a lip up top and one below so they'd fall of the roof and then the only way to me was up the 1 ramp.

If you place the door from the outside then you can stand on the block the door is on and attack through the door.

If your going to dig aimlessly dig down. Most stuff is below sea level. In my pit mine I've removed 20x30x80 of material and only got half a dozen iron. That's allot of stone picks.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 23, 2011, 04:27 PM

If you place the door from the outside then you can stand on the block the door is on and attack through the door.
Ah. Thanks.

If your going to dig aimlessly dig down. Most stuff is below sea level. In my pit mine I've removed 20x30x80 of material and only got half a dozen iron. That's allot of stone picks.
Well, much like the house, the point of the tunnel is creation/decoration/design. I do have a mine I'm opening soon, too (I spent my last moments last night building a grass lined path to it).

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 24, 2011, 11:24 AM

My friend and I finally realized why this is so personally appealing. Back in the day we (he) played Ultima Online. A good deal of the core gameplay (harvesting, crafting, exploring, surviving) is very similar. Occasionally we reminisce of the olden days, and lately sometimes mention going back (found out people maintain private serves, some of which remain in early 2000 game-state), but are dissuaded by the time and effort involved (starting from scratch really sucks).

---

I'm finally starting to understand the game. Which makes me realize Laminar must have sunk some serious time in judging from the items in some of his screens.

So far my biggest gripe in the game is lighting - there's just not enough types. The lack of a campfire is completely baffling. Chandeliers would be nice, too (I did note on the wiki that lanterns were added then removed for some reason). Illuminating everything with torches sucks, because it's repetitive and because they're inefficient.

Have you guys found many dungeons. I only started digging down late last night but I'm wondering how rare they are and how difficult they are to spot.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 24, 2011, 11:33 AM

God, all this talk is starting to pique my interest now...

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 24, 2011, 11:40 AM

Yeah, I was already considering setting up my old iMac as a multi server. A little too much effort for my knowledge level, though.

Most psychotic thing I though of doing (just now)

Lo and behold, people have already done this:

This game is scary.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 24, 2011, 11:43 AM

Ho...ly...crap...

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 24, 2011, 12:24 PM

Did you guys buy the game or what? I'm gonna DL it today and see what the fuss is about, thinking about hooking up a second monitor for the Wiki page too.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 24, 2011, 12:25 PM

Yeah, I bought it. I pirated tons of Sims 2 stuff in past years, so spending $20 on a game like this felt like karma.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 24, 2011, 12:50 PM

Screenshots:

My glass abode. Thinking about starting a farm behind/above it.

The tunnel to nowhere. The draw distance doesn't cover the entire length. I'll show some more (Interior shots) of it when once I spiff it up.

I do have to say, the exit turned out to be a lovely piece of land with ponds, lakes and majestic hills.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2011, 01:05 PM

I don't want to spoil this thread, but to say that I'm disappointed in Dakar and Fatty is an understatement.

I hope the weekend brings some Homefront action, I actually enjoyed joining the cousins across the pond.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 24, 2011, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
I don't want to spoil this thread, but to say that I'm disappointed in Dakar and Fatty is an understatement.
Be disappointed in Homefront. After Monday night's debacle I'm glad to take a hiatus from the frustration and disappointment.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2011, 04:50 PM

Dungeons or caves? For caves look for openings above ground theres should be a few. Actual dungeons are rare. I hit one because it was connected to this huge cave network. Skeletons, killed me twice before I neutered it, now it's and arrow grinder.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 24, 2011, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Be disappointed in Homefront. After Monday night's debacle I'm glad to take a hiatus from the frustration and disappointment.
Truth. 45 minutes without a single match will sour anyone on a game. I plan on trying again this weekend, and honestly, if we still cannot find matches I'm going to sell it back to Gamestop...and I'm dead serious this time. I have a brand new game with a boring single player and a broken multiplayer, what's the point of hanging on? Portal 2 will be out soon enough and this time-sink can hold me until then.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 24, 2011, 07:03 PM

This game is freaking complicated... yet compelling, this could be bad.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Mar 24, 2011, 07:45 PM

I hate this forum??
Just watched some videos after checking the thread, I'll throw $20 this games way

Impressions to come

Edit: I have a feeling this game could ruin the productivity i planned on getting out of my new MacBook air, if only this was much more graphic intensive I would be stuck in excel

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 25, 2011, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Truth. 45 minutes without a single match will sour anyone on a game. I plan on trying again this weekend, and honestly, if we still cannot find matches I'm going to sell it back to Gamestop...and I'm dead serious this time. I have a brand new game with a boring single player and a broken multiplayer, what's the point of hanging on? Portal 2 will be out soon enough and this time-sink can hold me until then.
Yeah, yeah OK. I posted before suffering last night.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 25, 2011, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Truth. 45 minutes without a single match will sour anyone on a game. I plan on trying again this weekend, and honestly, if we still cannot find matches I'm going to sell it back to Gamestop...and I'm dead serious this time. I have a brand new game with a boring single player and a broken multiplayer, what's the point of hanging on?
Eh, it's not gonna be much better before it's patched.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 25, 2011, 12:03 PM

On topic, I discovered a deep crevasse on the other side of the Tunnel to Nowhere (behind the Majestic Hill featured center left in pic three) and went to town spelunking in it. Feature request: An Altimeter. I think I got down pretty deep, but I'm not sure how far (which is important for mining).

On my second expedition in, I tried to burrow down and create a (slightly) organized descent as I mined. I think I got even deeper than before, but I spent my last 15 min last night mining horizontally because I heard [zombies?] nearby. I don't think it's a dungeon (drat!), but a cavern; I already killed two spiders (one landed on my head) and discovered a skeleton who then fired arrows at me (and I'm not sure how to kill).

On the flip side I'm enjoying laying out roads to all these places I discover. Like I'm civilizing the wilderness (with the benefit of making it easier to navigate). Laying the road to Majestic Hill I also discovered a small hole in the ground right next to a lake. The damn thing is so deep you can't see the bottom. Another adventure awaiting! This game is really rewarding for people who enjoy exploring worlds.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 25, 2011, 02:35 PM

I typically mine down until I hit bedrock. Usually I find enough caves along the way that I can find coal, iron, gold, redstone, diamonds, etc. in the walls, floors, and ceilings.

It's easiest to kill the skeletons with the bow and arrow. I always mine gravel whenever I find it to get the flint, because sticks and feathers are easy enough to come by.

I actually haven't played the game since I got killed in a random cave somewhere and lost a ton of gold and my diamond pickaxe. More pissed about it than anything else.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 25, 2011, 04:00 PM

I typically mine down until I hit bedrock. Usually I find enough caves along the way that I can find coal, iron, gold, redstone, diamonds, etc. in the walls, floors, and ceilings.
Well, I haven't started a "real" mine yet (Actually I did start an organized one early on, but that was abandoned as I tried to piece together resources and build my home). Exploring the hillside crevasse was the deepest I got but those things are a mess to spelunk/navigate/climb.

It's easiest to kill the skeletons with the bow and arrow. I always mine gravel whenever I find it to get the flint, because sticks and feathers are easy enough to come by.
I was afraid of that. I may try to suffocate him in sand and gravel.

I actually haven't played the game since I got killed in a random cave somewhere and lost a ton of gold and my diamond pickaxe. More pissed about it than anything else.
Does your stuff just disappear if you're too far from spawn or do you have a limited amount of time to recover it?

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Mar 28, 2011, 10:28 AM

I am officially addicted, although i do find it necessary to run this game along side mozilla for the wiki.
Didn't have a lot of time this weekend to play but put together my first "home" after spending two nights in a mini cave i built (trying to find coal so i could see)

Few screens for kicks

The room to the left with the double door is housing the all important bed, fantastic. Also has white (snow cube) walls

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 28, 2011, 12:22 PM

That place is pretty gigantic, Bogues. I see you've hung paintings, which outside of the first day, I never even thought of doing. Your house does seem like a haphazard onstruction of cobblestone, stone, and clay(?). Also, I see you have a steel door controlled by switch. Have you tried using a pressure plate? I found it wholly unreliable.

I finally did some exploring this weekend, spurred by a quest to get some Sugar Cane, Clay, and Cactus. I also found a winter biome (Snow and Ice!). This came after several unfortunate encounters with lava that finally caused me to say screw it (good bye clock, I'll miss you). I did manage to find some Obsidian, but I don't have enough diamonds for a pickaxe to mine it.

Did some serious upgrades to my Sand Home that I'll post here later.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Mar 28, 2011, 01:36 PM

Stuff takes five minutes to disappear so if you can make it back in time you can pick it up. I try to keep a second minimum set of gear ready to use when dashing back. For me the bow is a critical weapon. I'll AFK in the skeleton grinder I built around the mob spawner when I need more arrows.

F3 will show your coordinates with your Y axis.

I've been fiddling with a map from the Prehistoric Desert generator a distraction to mining or stockpiling torches.

I found obsidian too, but it was under a waterfall so I'm betting its a lava lake. You can make it by poring water on top of lava anyways, no pick req. Just be sure where you want it.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 28, 2011, 05:09 PM

My Sand Home is now a Sand Castle, including a moat that leads to a flawed but functioning monster chewer at the bottom.

One of many rooms in the home, this one dedicated to sugar cane.

The Skylight to my subterranean dock.

The sewer-like tunnel that traverses dock to sea.

The exterior, with a crude bridge for passage and lit totems that allow the dock to be spotted from distance for nocturnal navigation.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Mar 28, 2011, 07:03 PM

You need to find some pumpkins for them totems. I'll have to get some screen shots to keep up w/ the jones.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Mar 28, 2011, 07:32 PM

Dakar i've taken your criticism and converted my entire house into pure stone (lots of coal +cobble), looks much better. also added a tree farm close by and I stole your indoor sugar cane factory, good call

Still have not found any "redstone", gold, diamonds. I'm having a hard enough time find iron ore.

Started a rather large tunnel in my house but still have only come away with cobble and coal.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 29, 2011, 10:37 AM

They say don't play this game if you value your time. I say don't even look into texture packs, even if you don't value your time.

That is incredible. It also requires a boatload of modifications and some graphics work that my MacBook likely can't handle. But I'll probably look into it anyway.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 29, 2011, 10:51 AM

Stuff takes five minutes to disappear so if you can make it back in time you can pick it up. I try to keep a second minimum set of gear ready to use when dashing back. For me the bow is a critical weapon. I'll AFK in the skeleton grinder I built around the mob spawner when I need more arrows.

F3 will show your coordinates with your Y axis.
Thanks.

You need to find some pumpkins for them totems. I'll have to get some screen shots to keep up w/ the jones.
Eh, I don't like how the Jack-o-Lanterns look, not that I've seen pumpkins anyway.

Originally Posted by Kevin Bogues View Post
Still have not found any "redstone", gold, diamonds. I'm having a hard enough time find iron ore.
I find the Iron Ore to be criminally uncommon in this game, particularly for something that is common in so many middle-to-high quality recipes. I was calculating that to make a 50 tiles of track (which isn't a lot of distance) requires over four and half stacks of iron ingots. In all the time I've playing I haven't completed three.

Originally Posted by Kevin Bogues View Post
Started a rather large tunnel in my house but still have only come away with cobble and coal.
My best advice for you is to go exploring and look for any dark crevasses and bottomless pits. They'll help guide you deep underground where the better stuff is (I find Redstone to be wholly overrated, which is painful given I run into it more often than Iron at the lower levels).

---

I decided to go mining again since my triple demise this weekend. I ended running into a decent cache of diamonds (4) in some new territory and decided to craft a pickaxe to mine some obsidian. I then mastered a technique to prevent mined obsidian from dropping into the burning lava that was usually below it. I mined over 50 blocks, with plenty of opportunity to get more should I want. I should probably look into making a quick entrance/exit to the magma flows, so long as I can figure out where the hell it would exit above ground (lest I ruin my glorious landscape).

Also I found my first dungeon. Hilariously, it was just 50 yards from a base camp of the first crevasse I explore (and apparently one of the quite rare above sea-eve ones!). Nothing to special in there (some saddles for riding pigs!) but I may look into making a monster trap.
( Last edited by The Final Dakar; Mar 29, 2011 at 11:01 AM. )

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Mar 29, 2011, 11:54 AM

I find the Iron Ore to be criminally uncommon in this game, particularly for something that is common in so many middle-to-high quality recipes. I was calculating that to make a 50 tiles of track (which isn't a lot of distance) requires over four and half stacks of iron ingots. In all the time I've playing I haven't completed three.
I thought so too, genearlly when i do find iron its only blocks of 3/4, not close to enough.
I've hit a good run of goal lately finding blocks of 10/15 close to home.
My best advice for you is to go exploring and look for any dark crevasses and bottomless pits. They'll help guide you deep underground where the better stuff is (I find Redstone to be wholly overrated, which is painful given I run into it more often than Iron at the lower levels).
Thanks,hopefully i have some luck.
Is it better to mine DOWN or into shafts horizontally?

Also I found my first dungeon. Hilariously, it was just 50 yards from a base camp of the first crevasse I explore (and apparently one of the quite rare above sea-eve ones!). Nothing to special in there (some saddles for riding pigs!) but I may look into making a monster trap.
Dungeon?! I didn't know those existed, let alone contained special items. Do tell more, how do i find such dungeon?

Forum Links
Forum Rules