Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Minecraft

Minecraft (Page 12)
BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
May 3, 2011, 03:36 PM

In SP I built a room and lined it with wool. Just as I finished lining it, it caught on fire and I died in the inferno. Turns out there was lava 2 spaces behind one of the walls. Since then I use a cactus in my garbage disposal not lava. Requires a little more finesse to install but its worth it.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 3, 2011, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by BLAZE_MkIV View Post
In SP I built a room and lined it with wool. Just as I finished lining it, it caught on fire and I died in the inferno. Turns out there was lava 2 spaces behind one of the walls. Since then I use a cactus in my garbage disposal not lava. Requires a little more finesse to install but its worth it.
Here's my thing, I think lava embers go through different materials. I put an earth block over a pool and my bedroom lining burned away in minutes. I replaced the block with glass (or maybe smooth stone) and placed wood blocks all around it. Nothing happened after two days so I rebuilt the cotton wall. Still standing somehow (Yet I still can't figure out why my cotton mural burned down under even safer circumstances. Maybe there's other lava behind a wall like you said).

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
May 3, 2011, 03:43 PM

Easy enough experiment to perform. I do know that at one point it time it would pass through dirt and stone. I'm not sure about glass.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 3, 2011, 03:45 PM

I'll have to do some more tests on the mural area.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
May 3, 2011, 03:49 PM

Usually it's a waste of time to make wool out of string but with the grinder...

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 3, 2011, 03:51 PM

Or you could make a wall of flaming arrow dispensers.

Alex901
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2011, 06:03 PM

This is my view from above. I have most o f the roof of my temple done just the two towers to do, and the view from the roof is pretty sweet!

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 3, 2011, 06:50 PM

Ha....beat me to it...

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 3, 2011, 06:53 PM

Creeper Isle...

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 4, 2011, 11:30 AM

After last night I thinkI found link's new skin:

I think i now want advance warning before you come to visit. Holy crap were the creepers following you.

---

On a more serious note (and I don't know how this makes sense) with fatty gone last night, i got a ton done on the non-cliffside face of my home (when it wasn't raining). The rear is being modernized with great rapidity and its getting some pretty awesome features. I'd list the additions, but its not complete and better experienced in person. Still, lots of tweaking needed (Automatic doors to a mob spawning area = not good!).

---

Visited the Temple of Time – any place so tall that it's too dark to see the ceiling = awesome. Didn't have the time to get the appropriate view from the roof.

---

I didn't think it was possible, but I think I hit the next level of addiction in this game... I have so many projects lined up:

• Finish Bridge
• More landscaping
• Start some roads
• Reciprocal cart station from fatty's (Delayed until satisfactory design is found)
• Railway to Andi/Jawbone
• Finish Desert Mural (Delayed until satisfactory Sun is designed)
• Finish railway to fatty's (Noteblocks)
• Finish bedroom (Paintings/Bookshelves, misc.)
• Finish/renovate Creeper Isle
• Two other ideas too cool to share yet

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 4, 2011, 12:09 PM

Are you wanting to extend the railway to mine and andi's places underground or above-ground? I've been loading up on iron and wood, and could probably get one to andi's without gathering any resources. A few nights ago, I extended the tunnel to three-blocks wide in preparation for the possibility.

Ah...and I've started a new cottage, just over the waterfall in front of the corporate office. I wanted a smaller, more quaint place that was closer to my neighbors and intimate enough to feel like a small home. The front half of the first floor is done entirely in brick -- hopefully within a few weeks, I'll gather enough clay to finish the entire ground-level wall in it.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 4, 2011, 12:11 PM

I'm heading off in search of new lands as my next move. I'd like to start a new large-scale building project and I simply do not have the real estate to make that happen.

The other night I was wandering around past Jawbone's and found the snow biome area, think I'll make a ski lodge.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 4, 2011, 12:13 PM

Underground, naturally. If I do it right, it will allow continuation to fatty's. It's not a resource problem, It's a design/time/priority problem.

Edit: I'd love to visit a snow biome. Make sure there are guest rooms. Actually that's a great idea – dedicate a section to housing all of us. Give us named/numbered rooms that are ours to decorate/equip as we please (Aside from doors/windows).

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 4, 2011, 03:11 PM

Well i took the plunge and headed for snowy peaks.

Now I'm in a small glass safehouse, god knows where, on top of a very picturesque snowy peak overlooking a snowy valley.

I have no idea how to get back, but I wrote down my house's coordinates so I should be able to trundle back once I get some work done.

Since I am most likely incredibly far away, I will be relying on traditional cart boosters to link this area to my home. It's been very stressful so far, but if nothing else, its a change of scenery, and all this land is hereby claimed for Fatty!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 4, 2011, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Well i took the plunge and headed for snowy peaks.

Now I'm in a small glass safehouse, god knows where, on top of a very picturesque snowy peak overlooking a snowy valley.

I have no idea how to get back, but I wrote down my house's coordinates so I should be able to trundle back once I get some work done.

Since I am most likely incredibly far away, I will be relying on traditional cart boosters to link this area to my home. It's been very stressful so far, but if nothing else, its a change of scenery, and all this land is hereby claimed for Fatty!
Should have brought a compass. Also, what direction did you go?

I'll be around later to chop down a tree on your property (Speaking of which, for those of you who weren't on the server last night, I chopped down 1 tree and got 31 blocks of wood. Insane).

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 4, 2011, 03:28 PM

I headed straight back from behind jawbones, but after that went a little wonky, No idea what true direction i am.

I'll have to use the sun to get back, i think.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 4, 2011, 03:29 PM

A true survivalist!

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
May 4, 2011, 03:40 PM

I still end up bringing up the coordinates and the moving to figure out x & z direction. I don't remember which one is N/S.

I headed straight back from behind jawbones
Back in reference too? Never mind I'll just wait till he builds the track. Don't make the mistake I did though, either bury it or elevate it +2 to keep the cows off it. When you figure out a good starting point i'll show you how to make the simple booster (only track needed) i've been combining with the power track.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 4, 2011, 03:53 PM

I really have no understanding on how to read the coordinates. There's so many damn numbers on that screen. And the graph constantly covers them, too.

I do think cows are part of the challenge, however. Imagine if you were on real tracks and you ran into one.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 4, 2011, 03:54 PM

i know how to make the simple boosters, bit i'll probably bury the track deep underground.

Good news, link set out and found me, and is leaving a trail on his way back.

the view from my lodge-in-progress:

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 4, 2011, 03:55 PM

Pine trees!

Alex901
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 4, 2011, 04:04 PM

So i got on and started working on an underground tree farm, when i find that Sek is out being a pioneer! So he needs some help getting back so i make a torch bread crumb path. Then i have to camp out in a little glass shed. Its pretty nice out there i think he said eventually hell make a railway but i kind of had fun sailing the ocean blue!

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 4, 2011, 04:07 PM

Sweeeeeeeeeeet...

I always forget how massive these worlds are until I go tromping off in some direction and have to return home in a mad rush.

I have an idea of the exact direction he took. I'm assuming the snow is due north, and that would mean the opposite direction of the big "BONE." I'm going to be fighting the temptation to make the trek and see your progress.

I wish you could make a tent in this game for a temporary shelter that you could repack.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 4, 2011, 04:12 PM

Hell, even if it was one use only, that'd be a huge boon. 8 wool + 1 stick = tent

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
May 4, 2011, 04:16 PM

23 wooden planks (or 6 wood), 1 torch and 1 door, assuming you don't want to carve into the side of a hill.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 4, 2011, 04:18 PM

We could carve into the hills along the path, setting up several shelters along the way.

[EDIT] Dangit...I really shouldn't visit this thread during work hours. It makes me want to hop on so bad.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 4, 2011, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
We could carve into the hills along the path, setting up several shelters along the way.
I don't know how far a walk sek's new place is, but if it's less than a day there shouldn't be more than one at the half-way point, to keep things interesting.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
May 4, 2011, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I don't know how far a walk sek's new place is, but if it's less than a day there shouldn't be more than one at the half-way point, to keep things interesting.
Just check for creepers before you start out so they don't chase you the whole way.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 4, 2011, 04:35 PM

Creepers are easy to lose ...but you do give a good idea.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 4, 2011, 05:30 PM

It's less than one day, but it is going to take a lot of track to connect, thats for sure.

Also, check out the creeper convention outside my door.

andi*pandi
May 4, 2011, 05:42 PM

ha!

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
May 4, 2011, 06:32 PM

Arrows will pass through the door. For certain values of close. Plant a cactus near the door and they'll bump into it when they follow you around the building.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 4, 2011, 07:17 PM

I ran out of arrows shooting all the enemies I encountered the first couple of dangerous nights.

Also, funny you mention cacti because I don't have this similar problem at my Main Home, with its water-bound location and ring of cacti.

Main lobby of the ski lodge is complete, more or less, next I'm going to add wings. Planning on a 'ski lift' area which is actually the minecart area for coming/going. and two (or three) separate wings for lodging and whatnot. The rooms will be empty wood shells that you guys can decorate as you see fit.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 4, 2011, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
It's less than one day, but it is going to take a lot of track to connect, thats for sure.

Also, check out the creeper convention outside my door.
What, only 6?

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
May 4, 2011, 11:17 PM

Next person heading out that way again, take two stacks of my arrows out to him.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2011, 02:38 AM

Jawbone was the lodge's first visitor today, and seeing as such had his pick of the upstairs master suites in the north wing. Two master suites remain, while 3 regular guest suites are also vacant on the first floor. First come first serve, so get there quick and claim your room. Just knock off the sign, and using the same naming scheme, add your name and the room is yours.

Jawbone also gets my heartfelt thanks for not only pork and arrows, but a shit-ton of raw wood which sped along the securing of the north wing immensely.

The Day's Work

Left to right: Main Lobby, with largely unfinished Fatty's Bedroom above / north wing corridor / north wing. Jawbone has the right corner room, which is the "North Master Suite" and holds a commanding view of the valley below.

Also also, I think I may have run into my first electrified creeper today. Impossible to tell, since he killed me, but the size of the blast was so large it had to be the case. Took out a huge portion of my place when I was building it.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2011, 02:44 AM

Yeeeeeeeah, you can see my paintings through the top/right window. In your face, slowpokes. Thanks, sek.

I couldn't believe how fast sek worked to finish the place. When I got there, I expected a place about half the size that it was, and he even has a great cave/mine set up below already. Crazy...

Also, go Mavs.

andi*pandi
May 5, 2011, 08:51 AM

Looks great! I couldn't get on last night (I blame comcast) so I had to be productive at other things, darn it.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 5, 2011, 09:31 AM

So let me get this straight... the first person to encounter an electrified creeper was in a Snow Biome and if I'm going to get a room I better get on while I'm at work becauseI won't get home until after 7 pm.

Huh?

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2011, 10:38 AM

Everyone is guaranteed a room, there are 6 in total and my bedroom lies above the Main Lobby. Whether or not you get the best view and a vaulted ceiling is the difference.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 5, 2011, 10:47 AM

Yeah, but without the best view, is it worth living?

Also, where are the servants quarters located? I don't go anywhere without my servant.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
May 5, 2011, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Also, where are the servants quarters located? I don't go anywhere without my servant.
Above the main lobby.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2011, 12:16 PM

Bahhhh ha ha

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 5, 2011, 12:22 PM

That's right. I forgot I sent my servant ahead to build an entire ski lodge for me.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2011, 12:50 PM

Heeeeey, wait a minute....

Looks like I might have to booby-trap these rooms to show you jerks who's boss.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 5, 2011, 01:29 PM

Ugh, connection at work is being shaky as hell.

Anyway, go to some point where water must be crossed and got lost. Is it north the entire way?

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2011, 01:38 PM

Once you get to the water head straight north all the way across. The first little island you can see has 3 torches on the right side, they point the way. Halfway on the water you will pass between two sand banks.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 5, 2011, 01:43 PM

Thanks. We'll see if I manage to get back on later.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 5, 2011, 04:09 PM

Well, I'm there, and you wouldn't believe what it took. Apparently the wireless at work has become extremely unreliable since I used it last.

I hope sek isn't adding a second wing just to add more Master Suites, or my efforts will have been in vain. Nice rooms, though. The view is spectacular. Also, JB, I'm the new Chandler and Joey to your Rachel and Monica.

Also, Jawbone, you should save your underwater tunnel efforts for a submereged rail line under the great ocean divide.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
May 5, 2011, 04:33 PM

When digging horizontal tunnels the question is "Do you want to dig deep enough to go under the sand or not." Because believe me sand and gravel makes it a PITA. Especially if there is water too. If your fast you can hold a block, use it to break the sand, and then place it were the sand was faster than than the water can flow into the hole. Still takes 20x longer than just stone and dirt. Sek mentioned an elevated rail so a bridge may be better, pontoon?

Forum Links
Forum Rules