Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Minecraft

Minecraft (Page 14)
BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
May 9, 2011, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
The obvious solution is Notes Blocks should be the size of slabs.
How would this be helpful? you cant mix slabs. now if you could do a have material \ half note slab it would help.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 9, 2011, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by BLAZE_MkIV View Post
How would this be helpful? you cant mix slabs. now if you could do a have material \ half note slab it would help.
You must have air over a note block. By making it half the size, you no longer need to leave the block above them open.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 9, 2011, 01:09 PM

I tried to have hidden note blocks and eventually gave up, it was to much work for not much payoff.

Note blocks have been helping out with the 'invisible player' problem as shown by the picture below. What turned out to be Dakar was hitting the notes like crazy just to be a jerk I assume.

...and the finalized front of the lodge, in all its snowy glory.

andi*pandi
May 9, 2011, 01:15 PM

all work and no play makes jack a dull boy all work and no play makes jack a dull boy all work and no play makes jack a dull boy all work and no play makes jack a dull boyall work and no play makes jack a dull boyall work and no play makes jack a dull boy all work and no play makes jack a dull boyall work and no play makes jack a dull boyall work and no play makes jack a dull boyall work and no play makes jack a dull boyall work and no play makes jack a dull boyall work and no play makes jack a dull boyall work and no play makes jack a dull boyall work and no play makes jack a dull boyall work and no play makes jack a dull boyall work and no play makes jack a dull boyall work and no play makes jack a dull boyall work and no play makes jack a dull boyall work and no play makes jack a dull boyall work and no play makes jack a dull boyall work and no play makes jack a dull boyall work and no play makes jack a dull boyall work and no play makes jack a dull boyall work and no play makes jack a dull boyall work and no play makes jack a dull boyall work and no play makes jack a dull boyall work and no play makes jack a dull boyall work and no play makes jack a dull boyall work and no play makes jack a dull boy

reminds me of the overlook.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 9, 2011, 01:20 PM

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
May 9, 2011, 01:38 PM

I just like how he uses Grab instead of F2.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 9, 2011, 01:45 PM

fn+F2 isn't as easy as command shift 3 for me.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 9, 2011, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I tried to have hidden note blocks and eventually gave up, it was to much work for not much payoff.

Note blocks have been helping out with the 'invisible player' problem as shown by the picture below. What turned out to be Dakar was hitting the notes like crazy just to be a jerk I assume.

1. Stand in archway
2. Hold spacebar
3. sek get's freaked out
4. Profit

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post

reminds me of the overlook.
I was really worried about andi there for a second.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 9, 2011, 01:53 PM

I need to install a 'room 237' where mobs can spawn.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 9, 2011, 02:14 PM

Posting here for personal future reference

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 9, 2011, 02:51 PM

I just like how he uses Grab instead of F2.
fn+F2 isn't as easy as command shift 3 for me.
Having my menu bar in the screenshots would drive me crazy. I've actually taken the screenshots folder and added it to my sidebar for easy access/uploading.

Also...sek, are you playing Minecraft full-screen? I tried that a few times and got completely dizzy -- not sure why. FPS games have never bothered me before, but Minecraft is disorienting for some strange reason.

I need to install a 'room 237' where mobs can spawn.
HA...

Posting here for personal future reference
Uh oh...

Also, I'm stealing that.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 9, 2011, 02:53 PM

I play fullscreen just fine. I use smooth lighting and fancy graphics, but keep the draw distance to short to keep it from skipping around.

I tried playing on normal distance but the skipping and FPS lag everytime I would turn around gave me a headache.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 9, 2011, 04:50 PM

SInce I won't be able to keep this under wraps while I build it (well without constructing a giant box) under consideration for my next project:

Edit: looks like a hotlink block. Whatevers.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
May 9, 2011, 05:14 PM

Edit: looks like a hotlink block. Whatevers.
One of these
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=ParasitesLost.jpg&tbm=isch

I play full screen 1600x1024 @60 fps so no headaches. But i'm not running in an iMac or MacBook. Anything over 30 fps when your panning around should be fine.

Hmmm large circles. I don't think i have enough light grey yet to make a proper go at the Marathon symbol. Not a big fan of pixel art though.
( Last edited by BLAZE_MkIV; May 9, 2011 at 05:20 PM. )

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 9, 2011, 05:18 PM

Not a big fan of pixel art though.
Wait, you don't like pixel art? How can you stand this game?

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
May 9, 2011, 05:25 PM

pixel art in minecraft, not pixelish games. ex: lego starwars = fun, yet another picture of megaman != fun
i can easily ignore all the pixel art floating around the WWW.

andi*pandi
May 9, 2011, 08:00 PM

I had it figured out using switches, but then I tried to expand and messed it up. Network kicked me out.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
May 9, 2011, 08:59 PM

I think it doesn't like high latency connections. Dakar rebooted or something and it got better.

andi*pandi
May 10, 2011, 10:25 AM

I fully believe comcast is messing with my internets. </tinfoilhat>

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
May 10, 2011, 11:22 AM

I fully believe comcast is messing with my internets. </tinfoilhat>
I'd bet significant amounts of money on it. It doesn't help that my connection speed drop significantly in prime time hours. But I don't have any choice in the matter.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 10, 2011, 11:29 AM

Link's island from the rail:

Creeper damage to the back...

And immediately thereafter, the front...

Why don't they freaking die in the sunlight?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 10, 2011, 11:45 AM

I think it doesn't like high latency connections. Dakar rebooted or something and it got better.
I do have a pretty scummy connection when it comes to latency, but after the thunderstorms last week it was being spotty everywhere. Since the router reboot the time outs have ceased. (And then I had to update my iMac because Minecraft was inexplicably freezing...)

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
LWhy don't they freaking die in the sunlight?
Because they're fun or challenging or some other poorly thought-out BS.

I have a feeling when I finish my next round of projects I'll be left bitching about mobs spawning on the tops of trees. That's a moronic decision as well.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
May 10, 2011, 12:01 PM

Thats why it's called survival. I know Dakar doesn't like it, but I like how the element of danger keeps you on your toes. I could turn mobs off and all we'd loose is TNT. But spelunking just isn't the same and the coming dusk leads to some panicky running for shelter. If everyone moves far enough away the mobs despawn and then you can come back. Rail lines are good for this. It also forces mid day spawning of passive mobs for the shepherds.
Jawbone: I'm kind of waiting for a spider to join you on the top of your house.

I don't know about your but the ceiling of my tree farm is well lit.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 10, 2011, 12:17 PM

Thats why it's called survival. I know Dakar doesn't like it, but I like how the element of danger keeps you on your toes.
Yet somehow I (and no one else, really) don't bitch about zombies, spiders, skeletons, burning in lava, drowning in water, and taking damage from falling.

Everyone hates creepers because they're griefers. It's that they destroy your stuff, not you. 9 times out of 10 you survive.
(Not to mention they have two other advantages over the other aggressive mobs: They don't despawn in daylight, and they're completely silent)

I don't know about your but the ceiling of my tree farm is well lit.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 10, 2011, 12:58 PM

Because they're fun or challenging or some other poorly thought-out BS.

I have a feeling when I finish my next round of projects I'll be left bitching about mobs spawning on the tops of trees. That's a moronic decision as well.
Thats why it's called survival. I know Dakar doesn't like it, but I like how the element of danger keeps you on your toes. I could turn mobs off and all we'd loose is TNT. But spelunking just isn't the same and the coming dusk leads to some panicky running for shelter. If everyone moves far enough away the mobs despawn and then you can come back. Rail lines are good for this. It also forces mid day spawning of passive mobs for the shepherds.
What if we had a "mob-free weekend" where we allocated tons of resources and built like crazy? Sort of like Black Ops' double-XP weekends.

[QUOTE]Jawbone: I'm kind of waiting for a spider to join you on the top of your house./QUOTE]

Which one?

Yet somehow I (and no one else, really) don't bitch about zombies, spiders, skeletons, burning in lava, drowning in water, and taking damage from falling.

Everyone hates creepers because they're griefers. It's that they destroy your stuff, not you. 9 times out of 10 you survive.
(Not to mention they have two other advantages over the other aggressive mobs: They don't despawn in daylight, and they're completely silent)
Exactly, exactly, and exactly. Creepers are the only mob type that actually feels unfair.

The daytime is supposed to be safe, yet the front and back entrances of my home were taken out at the Minecraft equivalent of 10:00 AM.

Still, I'll be ordering one of these shirts for my little boy:

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
May 10, 2011, 12:59 PM

I built a wall but a 2x2 trench or a fence will stop creepers too. If you don't do anything to secure your perimeter then it will keep happening. Or you can go dwarf.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 10, 2011, 01:08 PM

I'm going to go with a wall, but work on it has halted until I can plan out the rest of the perimeter. I've got to make sure my "back yard" is accessible in all the right places and at the right level. Every time the creepers blow a few craters into the backyard, which is decently-lit for a considerable distance, I lose a little patience and start working on Bonecatrez (or Bone Island...haven't decided) resource allocation.

andi*pandi
May 10, 2011, 01:13 PM

I wish there was stone fence. Or you could paint fence.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 10, 2011, 01:26 PM

What if we had a "mob-free weekend" where we allocated tons of resources and built like crazy? Sort of like Black Ops' double-XP weekends.
That's rather brilliant actually. Or something as simple as "Mob-Free Thursdays".

It's worth noting that no one complained when mobs got turned on... but no one was complaining when they were off, either. Making exploration more exciting is a good thing. It's when it starts to interfere with settled and developed areas that it becomes a real drag.

The daytime is supposed to be safe, yet the front and back entrances of my home were taken out at the Minecraft equivalent of 10:00 AM.
Daytime doesn't need to be safe, per se, but it's just that the inherent trait of the creeper makes it impossible to defend against without a healthy dose of paranoia.

It's also worth noting that with the introduction of weather, those "safe" days are even more uncommon. It hasn't been so much of a problem lately, but those first two weeks "rare" weather was happening 3 out of 10 minecraft days, i swear.

I built a wall but a 2x2 trench or a fence will stop creepers too. If you don't do anything to secure your perimeter then it will keep happening. Or you can go dwarf.
I think it's a reasonable expectation that to work at night, you need defenses. During the day? Not so much.

It's an open-ended game, but to me the focus is the creative/building aspect. Hindering that aspect in a post-creative situation seems completely counter-intuitive, if not dickish. Like deleveling people in an RPG.

I wish there was stone fence. Or you could paint fence.
Uh oh. Now you did it. I compiled a wishlist one day. I'll have to post it later.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 10, 2011, 01:46 PM

I hate creepers as much as the next guy, but without them the game would be pretty easy IMO. Creepers add the necessary zest to keep an open world creation game interesting. Yeah, they blow up your hard work, but half the fun of creation in this game is the painstaking process, which includes chunks of your new home getting blown up.

I've dealt with them more than most at my lodge as of late, and all it has done is made me more effective at securing my exits.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
May 10, 2011, 01:56 PM

How Darwinian of you.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 10, 2011, 02:07 PM

Exactly, exactly, and exactly. Creepers are the only mob type that actually feels unfair.
I forgot to add, even the useless dogs ignore them (and won't attack)! Would a warning bark be too much to ask?

I hate creepers as much as the next guy, but without them the game would be pretty easy IMO. Creepers add the necessary zest to keep an open world creation game interesting. Yeah, they blow up your hard work, but half the fun of creation in this game is the painstaking process, which includes chunks of your new home getting blown up.
Obviously this is all taste, but given your survival bent, I think you're nuts. Gathering all the resources you may want is difficult (read: time consuming) enough. You know what keeps a creative game interesting? Your ability to come up with fresh ideas.

How about I add some more zest for you: Anytime I come online in a creeper skin, there's a 1/10 chance I will randomly TNT part of your lodge.

I've dealt with them more than most at my lodge as of late, and all it has done is made me more effective at securing my exits.
That's what I look for in my creative games: Making me more effective at securing exits. Sounds like Call of Duty.

How Darwinian of you.
Oh give me a break. If you're interested in survival of the fittest, play a zombie game.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 10, 2011, 02:21 PM

Oh, Laminar was on last night. Did we find out what that scamp did?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 10, 2011, 03:12 PM

Alright, my wishlist, mostly in no particular order:

Altimeter
Barometer

These, along with the clock should also be placeable on walls like ladders.

Paint (Affects smooth stone/wood)
Glass & Obsidian slabs
Smooth stone stairs
Glass doors (Iron frame)
Tinted Glass (wool colors)

Bannister railing (wood/stone/iron)
Fence gates (supposedly in progress)
Fireman's pole
Rugs/Carpets (like paintings for your floor)
Incinerator/Safe disposal (lava powered?)

Patio Torches
Sleeping bag (sleep anywhere, one use)
Campfire (bigger light radius, can be cooked on)
Tent (one time use safe-house)

Iron/Obsidian arrow tips (more damage)
Cobble/smooth stone/Iron Fences (Iron fences can be electrified with redstone)

Underwater suit (double breathable air time)
Underwater light (sealed lamern?)
Hangable light
Brighter light source

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 10, 2011, 03:17 PM

That's rather brilliant actually. Or something as simple as "Mob-Free Thursdays".
Blaze? You game? Your server, your rules.

It's worth noting that no one complained when mobs got turned on... but no one was complaining when they were off, either. Making exploration more exciting is a good thing. It's when it starts to interfere with settled and developed areas that it becomes a real drag.
It's the exploration being a terrifying prospect that kills me. The other day I walked northwest from my fortress/home/whatever as far as I could until mid-day, then had a crazy rush to get back. Alas, I mistimed it, and died after one creeper incident, then a spider rush. Lost about five stacks of sand.

Daytime doesn't need to be safe, per se, but it's just that the inherent trait of the creeper makes it impossible to defend against without a healthy dose of paranoia.
Completely safe? Nah...

But the creepers seem more abundant than they used to be.

It's also worth noting that with the introduction of weather, those "safe" days are even more uncommon. It hasn't been so much of a problem lately, but those first two weeks "rare" weather was happening 3 out of 10 minecraft days, i swear.
Bingo. I almost never feel safe.

I think it's a reasonable expectation that to work at night, you need defenses. During the day? Not so much.

It's an open-ended game, but to me the focus is the creative/building aspect. Hindering that aspect in a post-creative situation seems completely counter-intuitive, if not dickish. Like deleveling people in an RPG.
Creepers definitely provide the "necessary zest" or tension that the game really needs to keep from getting boring, but they need to be balanced a little better.

It's like every movie ever made: you have introduction, establishment of characters, tension, resolution, finale. Without the tension, movies are boring, even if screenwriters follow the plan just a little too closely at times.

Mobs are slightly too abundant, and they shouldn't be out and about all day. For instance...maybe since skeletons and zombies are burned up in sunlight (dawn), creepers could be eradicated around 10-ish. Regardless, I think something needs to be adjusted.

Your lodge is absolutely overrun with creepers. I'm terrified to go outside.

andi*pandi
May 10, 2011, 03:19 PM

It's all the trees. The beautiful, shady, trees.

FYI, it is possible to hoof the rail from the lodge all the way to the sandcastle in time to get all your stuff before it disappears. My home bed became unsafe again and I respawned in the lodge instead.

Ooh, iron fences electified with redstone... that would do those creepers in.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 10, 2011, 03:29 PM

It's the exploration being a terrifying prospect that kills me. The other day I walked northwest from my fortress/home/whatever as far as I could until mid-day, then had a crazy rush to get back. Alas, I mistimed it, and died after one creeper incident, then a spider rush. Lost about five stacks of sand.
I can understand that. To me that just means there a limits more than any direct challenges. I enjoy gauging how far I can go, keeping an eye on the time, deciding whether to try and donkey punch some sheep as dusk approaches, make a wild dash for my place or fight off some hoards.

But the creepers seem more abundant than they used to be.
Yeah, seeing three or four at a time ain't that classy, either.

ICreepers definitely provide the "necessary zest" or tension that the game really needs to keep from getting boring, but they need to be balanced a little better.
Yeah, I was thinking, if they had a daylight mob, an explosion mob, and a stealth mob all seperate, that might be more balanced. Won't pretend to know if I'd bitch less, but in theory...

Creepers could be eradicated around 10-ish. Regardless, I think something needs to be adjusted.
I do find that when it's a creeper convention in the morning if I go below ground for two minutes and comeback up they usually have despawned.

IYour lodge is absolutely overrun with creepers. I'm terrified to go outside.
That goes to another issue with creepers. The only thing worse then them blowing your place up when you're working is them blowing your place up when someone visits.

My lodge creeper-fu is obviously nowhere near sek's and I charged out one morning and cost him the entire front doorstep.

Ooh, iron fences electified with redstone... that would do those creepers in.
That's probably the idea I was most impressed with. Have them do the same amount of damage as cacti and watch mobs kill themselves repeated bumping into them. Might make a great corral for friendly mobs too.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 10, 2011, 03:31 PM

I forgot to add, even the useless dogs ignore them (and won't attack)! Would a warning bark be too much to ask?
Speaking of dogs...I've only seen one in the past several weeks.

Obviously this is all taste, but given your survival bent, I think you're nuts. Gathering all the resources you may want is difficult (read: time consuming) enough. You know what keeps a creative game interesting? Your ability to come up with fresh ideas.
Well, it's like turning off war in Civilization IV (which I've done many times). It's great at first, but after a few hundred years, I get bored and give up. The war just needs balancing -- I doubt Ghandi would've attacked my little country so often in the real world.

How about I add some more zest for you: Anytime I come online in a creeper skin, there's a 1/10 chance I will randomly TNT part of your lodge.
Ha!

That's what I look for in my creative games: Making me more effective at securing exits. Sounds like Call of Duty.
...where you can't secure exits anymore because there are fifty of them in each room.

Oh give me a break. If you're interested in survival of the fittest, play a zombie game.
...yeah, by buying the new DLC in Black Ops and playing the zombie mode with me..............

Oh, Laminar was on last night. Did we find out what that scamp did?
I've seen him log on once. I don't even know where his place is.

Alright, my wishlist, mostly in no particular order:

Altimeter
Barometer

These, along with the clock should also be placeable on walls like ladders.

Paint (Affects smooth stone/wood)
Glass &amp; Obsidian slabs
Smooth stone stairs
Glass doors (Iron frame)
Tinted Glass (wool colors)

Bannister railing (wood/stone/iron)
Fence gates (supposedly in progress)
Fireman's pole
Rugs/Carpets (like paintings for your floor)
Incinerator/Safe disposal (lava powered?)

Patio Torches
Sleeping bag (sleep anywhere, one use)
Campfire (bigger light radius, can be cooked on)
Tent (one time use safe-house)

Iron/Obsidian arrow tips (more damage)
Cobble/smooth stone/Iron Fences (Iron fences can be electrified with redstone)

Underwater suit (double breathable air time)
Underwater light (sealed lamern?)
Hangable light
Brighter light source
The stuff you've listed that I think are needs are:
Altimeter
Barometer
Paint
Glass Doors
Fence Gates
Rugs/Carpets
Campfire
Tent
Cobble/Stone/Iron Fences

and especially the Wet Suit and Underwater Light

Everything else is just would-be-cool.

...except for the fireman's pole. That's just freaking ridiculous.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 10, 2011, 03:32 PM

Oh, and this shit is cool. Our server isn't nearly developed enough to justify it, but damn that's cool.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 10, 2011, 03:41 PM

Speaking of dogs...I've only seen one in the past several weeks.
I had a few around briefly last night. They should allow you to name them. Transferring ownership wouldn't hurt either, but far less key.

Well, it's like turning off war in Civilization IV (which I've done many times). It's great at first, but after a few hundred years, I get bored and give up. The war just needs balancing -- I doubt Ghandi would've attacked my little country so often in the real world.
I get what you're saying.

I've seen him log on once. I don't even know where his place is.
He didn't have a place, that I'm aware of. Though that might have changed last night.

...except for the fireman's pole. That's just freaking ridiculous.
I should show you my "elevator". It's crude, but it gets the job done: A straight shot from my Basement (and every level after) to just above bedrock. So why not add a more realistic mode of transportation that gives iron an additional use. Plus, wheeeeeeeeeee

(I was also speaking with sek this weekend and commented that my inner rail system was defunct because it lacked real efficiency timewise. I feel like elevators are an inevitable conclusion in a game where verticality plays such a large role. Maybe not in the next few months, but definitely in the next two years)

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 10, 2011, 03:41 PM

Oh, and this shit is cool. Our server isn't nearly developed enough to justify it, but damn that's cool.
Oh, wow....no kidding...

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 10, 2011, 03:45 PM

Whoa.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 10, 2011, 03:50 PM

Jawbone and I now control this page.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 10, 2011, 03:54 PM

He didn't have a place, that I'm aware of. Though that might have changed last night.
Would love for him to hop on. I understand he's crazy busy though.

I should show you my "elevator". It's crude, but it gets the job done: A straight shot from my Basement (and every level after) to just above bedrock. So why not add a more realistic mode of transportation that gives iron an additional use. Plus, wheeeeeeeeeee
Oh, I've used it several times. No doubt about it.

The only way I'm in favor of the fireman pole is if you spin wildly while descending.

(I was also speaking with sek this weekend and commented that my inner rail system was defunct because it lacked real efficiency timewise. I feel like elevators are an inevitable conclusion in a game where verticality plays such a large role. Maybe not in the next few months, but definitely in the next two years)
Elevators would clean my place up so freaking much.

I have one last picture before I get back to work. After your graphing paper comment a few weeks ago, I went out and bought a small graphing sketchbook, which has remained in my man-purse ever since. Yesterday, while sitting in the DMV with two hours to kill, what else was there to do but...

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 10, 2011, 04:16 PM

Would love for him to hop on. I understand he's crazy busy though.
Bah, he's not as busy as he is productive.

Oh, I've used it several times. No doubt about it.
Really? Sweet!

The only way I'm in favor of the fireman pole is if you spin wildly while descending.
I checked and it has been suggested on the Minecraft forums. Someone (rightfully) pointed out that ladders perform it general function (with added flexibility), but I'd argue we have object redundancy (see stairs/doors), and the real benefit would be two-fold: Increased descent speed (ladders are a yawn), and ease of use – I find ladders are slightly finicky to start descent. I'd just make a quick right click of the pole start the ride.

Elevators would clean my place up so freaking much.
Giving it some thought, it wouldn't be easy. Presumably, redstone should be involved. and unless there was an ingenious way to control direction, you might require two shafts. Best prototype I sketched in my head was rail, placed vertically, accessed by placing a boat-looking structure that had a fence gate-like entrance.

I have one last picture before I get back to work. After your graphing paper comment a few weeks ago, I went out and bought a small graphing sketchbook, which has remained in my man-purse ever since. Yesterday, while sitting in the DMV with two hours to kill, what else was there to do but...

Is that... Instagrammed? (Also, is that the "modest' new house?)

I finally remembered I had some graph paper the other night. Did some brief sketches for my new project, but in the early going last night not more effective that working stuff out in my head.

Edit: Add iron ladders to the list.
( Last edited by The Final Dakar; May 10, 2011 at 04:23 PM. )

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 10, 2011, 04:31 PM

Waiting for massive Emails to send, so I lied and I'm back...

Really? Sweet!
You are talking about the "express chute" or whatever you call it, right? With the water?

I checked and it has been suggested on the Minecraft forums. Someone (rightfully) pointed out that ladders perform it general function (with added flexibility), but I'd argue we have object redundancy (see stairs/doors), and the real benefit would be two-fold: Increased descent speed (ladders are a yawn), and ease of use – I find ladders are slightly finicky to start descent. I'd just make a quick right click of the pole start the ride.
I'd bet you have a stripper pole in your house.

Giving it some thought, it wouldn't be easy. Presumably, redstone should be involved. and unless there was an ingenious way to control direction, you might require two shafts. Best prototype I sketched in my head was rail, placed vertically, accessed by placing a boat-looking structure that had a fence gate-like entrance.
Ingenious way to control direction? Get on elevator, have a pop-up prompt screen control desired level, and go...

Is that... Instagrammed? (Also, is that the "modest' new house?)
Instagram

One of my students responded with "Cook me a porkchop!"

And no, this isn't the modest house. This is Bonecatrez/Bone Island...whatever. The new modest house is going to remain in front of my tower.

I finally remembered I had some graph paper the other night. Did some brief sketches for my new project, but in the early going last night not more effective that working stuff out in my head.
When I do it 100% in my head, I'm prone to make minor mistakes, and I hate wasted glass/stone.

Edit: Add iron ladders to the list.
What would be different that would make it worth it? Aesthetics? Durability?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 10, 2011, 04:38 PM

You are talking about the "express chute" or whatever you call it, right? With the water?
"Express Elevator". Yes.

Ingenious way to control direction? Get on elevator, have a pop-up prompt screen control desired level, and go...
Nah, that breaks the current way the game works.

Nerd and/or Hipster

And no, this isn't the modest house. This is Bonecatrez/Bone Island...whatever. The new modest house is going to remain in front of my tower.
Speaking of stripper poles, that place sounds like something from Eyes Wide Shut.

When I do it 100% in my head, I'm prone to make minor mistakes, and I hate wasted glass/stone.
Eh, I'm prone to mistakes either through misclicks or poor counting skills. My creative process is fluid anyway, as what looks good on paper doesn't necessarily translate well once it's within the environ.

What would be different that would make it worth it? Aesthetics? Durability?
I hope you're ****ing with me here.

andi*pandi
May 11, 2011, 09:01 AM

Project Doorbell is complete. This morning my son helped me pick an actual song for the doorbell from his violin music book. Now I need a whole lot of sandstone to finish the temple.

I found an old dungeon someone had already plundered but helpfully left the spawner. Should I destroy the spawner, or try to create a real grinder? It's not possible to move a spawner, is it?

Did anyone install a random note player in my house, or is the game messing with my mind? I could swear I hear a note and no one is near the notes, animals either. :eep:

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 11, 2011, 09:49 AM

Late night. Made a pretty huge mistake that was fairly easily rectified, but one of the dumbest I've made in this game so far. Blah...

Made some headway on Bone Island, though. Hope to start on underwater railways by this weekend.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 11, 2011, 09:50 AM

Project Doorbell is complete. This morning my son helped me pick an actual song for the doorbell from his violin music book. Now I need a whole lot of sandstone to finish the temple.
Your son is already far classier than I am.

I found an old dungeon someone had already plundered but helpfully left the spawner. Should I destroy the spawner, or try to create a real grinder? It's not possible to move a spawner, is it?
I vote for grinder.

Did anyone install a random note player in my house, or is the game messing with my mind? I could swear I hear a note and no one is near the notes, animals either. :eep:
If someone did, that's mighty, mighty sneaky.

Forum Links
Forum Rules