Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Minecraft

Minecraft (Page 59)
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 5, 2012, 10:13 AM

Oh, I also forgot to mention, I love how Redpower makes redstone more accessible. I made a set of doors that toggles open and closed with a button on each side. And I made it after on 30 minutes of trying to figure it out. Not bad for a noob.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2012, 10:36 AM

Now that doors behave the same regardless of left or right making double doors is much easier. redpower should let you put the wire on the bottom of the blocks the doors are on and power them that way instead of having to do torches to transmit power up like in vanilla.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 5, 2012, 10:41 AM

Ah, but my doors are actually piston activated. I'm extra fancy!

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2012, 10:53 AM

Looking around technic, it seams that basalt jebs doors are the only ogre proof door. I may be able to do retractable stairs too. Need to test how high orges and horses can jump. (Not including pegasi)

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 5, 2012, 10:58 AM

I have to admit, I'm completely clueless as to what you're talking about. Now I know how the non-tekkit people feel.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2012, 12:07 PM

Ogres can break most blocks, iron doors included. They can only break the blocks in front of them though. So if I retract the stairs making the step 1.5 high they can break my stairs and they can't get up. Assuming they can't make the 1.5 jump.

The Mo Creatures mod has pegasus you can breed and tame, or is that tame and breed. Flying Horse > Wall.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2012, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I'm not in a super rush per se, (over the weekend would be cool but still not necessary) but sek definitely is deadset on experiencing tekkit online. I selfishly volunteer to upload my map for the base of the server in the interim – we were talking last night and there is no foreseeable way I will leave the map given the time I've put it. At worst if we can't merge maps we can at least use NEI do get you guys up and running to comparable levels once you scout suitable locations.
Okay small hiccup. I'm gonna have to update to 10.8 'cus the server needs new java. I've been avoiding it because of a few PPC only apps I haven't found or written replacements for. That or I update the NAS to a full FreeBSD instead of freenas. That means the map will go down. Heck I need to update the NAS anyway.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Sep 5, 2012, 06:12 PM

So I've started looking for a mushroom biome. currently at x3271 z-10047... no luck yet. basically I headed off roughly F2 from spawn-ish. 10k out is far enough, methinks. time to zig-zag back.

On the other hand, sure is nice being able to build a nether gate and not mess with anyone else's gates

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2012, 08:51 PM

Okay I have a test tekkit server set up. The trick is its a nonstandard minecraft port so you have to add ":25566" to the address. I need a ginny-pig.

Hoppity
5392/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
This is what happens when a turtle lives for a while.
5393/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
5394/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 5, 2012, 09:15 PM

I'm still awake, I'll sign on.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 5, 2012, 10:38 PM

Worked fine, ran well. Spawn is a plain between two, or perhaps three, volcanos. Along with an NPC village half-consumed by basalt, I shall name it Pompei.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 6, 2012, 05:45 AM

Whoa, already up?

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2012, 07:46 AM

My suggestion would be since Dakar is apparently attached to his village:
Step 1:
Dakar sends me his ~/library/application/support/techniclauncher/tekkit forlder after making sure any ender or alchemy bags type storage is empty.
I switch the server to using that.
Sek sends me the same but all I use is his player info file(s) so all he gets is his inventory. (I need to test the alchemy bags across copies)
Step 2:
Sek finds a location for his factory and I mcedit his building into the world.

I can do the same inventory transfer as Sek if I want to join since there's nothing in my world to be impressed with except the 1600m^2 hole.

Other notes, NEI is disabled and PVP is enabled.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 6, 2012, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by BLAZE_MkIV View Post
My suggestion would be since Dakar is apparently attached to his village:
Step 1:
Dakar sends me his ~/library/application/support/techniclauncher/tekkit forlder after making sure any ender or alchemy bags type storage is empty.
I switch the server to using that.
I won't get home til late tonight. Once I have everything prepped, where would you like me to host it?

Other notes, NEI is disabled and PVP is enabled.
Temporary situation, I assume.

Once my map gets put up, I don't have anything off limits, per se, but my unfinished secret project is downstairs in my lair if you'd like to not ruin my surprise. Otherwise there's two villages discovered, one up for grabs if you guys want it.

How do I locate the original spawn point? I figure I might as well leave a chest there with a couple of flying rings and some klein stars to power them.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 6, 2012, 08:44 AM

Sek sends me the same but all I use is his player info file(s) so all he gets is his inventory. (I need to test the alchemy bags across copies)

Sek finds a location for his factory and I mcedit his building into the world.
Okay, so lemme get this straight.

My inventory swap is only so I've got something to use while locating my base of operations, and when copying the building over all my machines and whatnot will be copied too?
Or am I loading my inventory with as much goodies as I can hold, including all machines and whatnot?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 6, 2012, 08:55 AM

I'm thinking, if I give you guys a copy of my map points, that gives you some reference to work from, when exploring, correct?

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2012, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Okay, so lemme get this straight.

My inventory swap is only so I've got something to use while locating my base of operations, and when copying the building over all my machines and whatnot will be copied too?
That's what I was thinking. Couldn't hurt to load up any extra space with some High EMC stuff, and in my case a MFE with a electrolozer and cells for IC power.

I'm thinking, if I give you guys a copy of my map points, that gives you some reference to work from, when exploring, correct?
That's a good idea. It worked when i has a bug and lost mine I imported the old ones. Issues: if they're a per user file or not, are they server side or client side etc. Will they be different SMP vs SSP etc.

where would you like me to host it?
Doesn't really matter to me.
How do I locate the original spawn point? I figure I might as well leave a chest there with a couple of flying rings and some klein stars to power them.
My first thought is "/kill" It should be 0,0. I'll log in after the map swap and write it down. Just be prepared for the possibility you'll have to search for home if the coordinates shift. When I started the vanilla server I positioned everyone manually with MCEdit.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 6, 2012, 09:25 AM

The NEI comment was a joke I didn't pick-up on because it was dry text wasn't it? Whoops.

---

I'm also game to offer some resources to you two in the early going, seeing as how you are being set back. I have an energy condenser connected to 4 Mk III collectors I just placed in a tower that I'm happy to lend its use out for. I was just using it to replenish a supply of Diamond Blocks I swear I never used but went missing.

---

I figured 0/0 but wasn't sure. If coordinated do change, I wonder if that won't screw up my waypoints as well.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2012, 09:49 AM

The NEI comment was a joke I didn't pick-up on because it was dry text wasn't it?
Joke? Well the plugin is there and you can use the recipe lookup and such but you can't create items. Do you really want that?

I'm also game to offer some resources to you two in the early going, seeing as how you are being set back.
I have litterally stacks of redmatter in my tekkit world and 2 of the largest klein maxed out. A nice place to put a bed would be the most helpful.

I figured 0/0 but wasn't sure. If coordinated do change, I wonder if that won't screw up my waypoints as well.
That's my biggest concern about the transition, the disruption that may happen if the coords shift. Considering the level of items we have access to and can stick in our inventory it should only be minor.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 6, 2012, 09:56 AM

Joke? Well the plugin is there and you can use the recipe lookup and such but you can't create items. Do you really want that?
Oh yeah. Couple a reasons. For mechanically complicated but completely aesthetic creative endeavors (like my utterly useless but pretty and sprawling oil rig & reserves), for when the game screws me, and to perform experiments (tube/pipe systems, redpower) before going and actually taking the sometimes vast amounts of time it takes to properly create the items.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 6, 2012, 10:19 AM

I have 4 sets of Mk3 Collector arrays (13 Collectors, 5 Relays, one Condensor) so if I am correct in assuming they will copy over without me having to destroy them and stack them in my inventory, EMC will be no problem for me. Like Blaze said, all I need is a spot for a bed am I'm good.

I'm still confused, why would I need anything in my inventory if my whole base is being copied? I'll obviously want my flying ring, and my Klein Star, and my Laser, but past that everything I'll need will be neatly tucked away in a chest somewhere.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 6, 2012, 10:23 AM

I think the implication is the ease and ability to editting your base into the world isn't a foregone conclusion.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 6, 2012, 10:32 AM

Okay, so I'll tear down my quarries, my HV Array, and my energy collectors and put them in my inventory with whatever else fits. That way if something doesn't copy properly making a new one shouldn't be a problem.

If nothing else, I hope the chests copy, especially my diamond chest with "one of everything" in it.

Edit: Also realized that I have a whole separate set of chests for RedPower stuff, yowza, I really hope the copy goes well.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2012, 11:08 AM

Yeah I have no idea of the state of MCedit vis a vi mod blocks

andi*pandi
Sep 6, 2012, 11:18 AM

I'm curious to see what you all have built!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 6, 2012, 11:21 AM

A quick googling indicates it played nice with tekkit 3 as long as you didn't try to create stuff. Copy/paste worked.

Not sure on this slightly newer version.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 6, 2012, 11:22 AM

Yeah I have no idea of the state of MCedit vis a vi mod blocks
Well I could always bring everything over in small, inventory-sized chunks over time, right? Just the sheer amount of machines and piping is overwhwlming to thing about starting from scratch again, but I suppose with enough EMC anything is possible.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2012, 11:49 AM

Pipes are cheap, redstone engines are cheap, even the redpower machines aren't bad. Its the solar panels and the level 3 Industrial craft machines simply because the diamonds in the recipes. The collectors and condensers though are really expensive.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 6, 2012, 11:52 AM

There's always NEI if MCEdit doesn't work, right? You already had to do it once when your save file corrupted.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 6, 2012, 12:04 PM

I've got the essentials shoe-horned in. Expensive piping, Rotary Macerator, Induction Furnace, HV Array, MFSU, Fibre Cable, etc.

Going to tear down the Energy Collector Arrays last, and that should give me one hell of a starting inventory. I still hope all the rest copies to, but if it doesn't it's not the end of the world.

So once I'm set to go, what do I need to send you, and how do I send it?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 6, 2012, 12:06 PM

Man, you guys almost make me wish I wasn't going out tonight. But then if I was home, I wouldn't be able to play my save anyway.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 6, 2012, 12:29 PM

Okay, so I've decided that I'm going to abandon the factory, for two reasons...

First, in order to fill my inventory with my precious things I had to tear down a good portion of the works, so either way I'd be setting back up. Secondly, hopefully this makes the transition a bit easier, as all you need to do is copy my player inventory over and I can get to work, no MC Edit needed for me.

I've got everything I need to re-build. The factory was starting to get a little disorganized anyways, plus I kind of like the setting up phase, especially when everything is already crafted.

I'll definitely need to raid your chests, Dakar, if nothing else but to make copies of materials (glass, wood, etc) for my own uses. I'll also need to use a portion of your base as my own starting area, somewhere I can turn my EMC into building materials to construct Fatty Industries Mk2.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 6, 2012, 12:38 PM

My top floor is the work area, and anyone is welcome to use it. I have plenty of materials and should have enough spare EMC to cover costs. I don't have any expensive projects in mind for the time being, either.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2012, 01:03 PM

Man, you guys almost make me wish I wasn't going out tonight. But then if I was home, I wouldn't be able to play my save anyway.
Well since Sek tore his place apart already can you send your world at least? I should be able to import that at least and he can get started.

Sek: Why did you bring food? The helmet feeds you. Also http://technicpack.wikia.com/wiki/Talisman_of_Repair, there's even a bug in it were it recharges Redower2 batteries and the sonic screwdriver.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 6, 2012, 01:09 PM

No shit eh? I'll find something else to fill that slot, for sure.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 6, 2012, 01:16 PM

I'm not stopping at home after work, that's the problem.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2012, 01:37 PM

If this was TV it would take me 20 minutes to hack your machine and get it.

andi*pandi
Sep 6, 2012, 01:42 PM

tekkit. has. a. sonic. screwdriver?!?!?!?

:o

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 6, 2012, 01:49 PM

One of us! One of us!

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 6, 2012, 01:49 PM

I'm not stopping at home after work, that's the problem.
Oh christ, tell your boyfriends that something needs your urgent attention.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2012, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
tekkit. has. a. sonic. screwdriver?!?!?!?
:o

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
One of us! One of us!
Unfortunately its a "sonic" screwdriver in name only. Though if I ever build a teleporter I know what kind of building I'm putting it in.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 6, 2012, 02:31 PM

Well just let me know what files you need and where to send then, looks like tonight will be a wash anyways.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 6, 2012, 04:24 PM

I'm home. Prepping the World for packaging.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 6, 2012, 05:13 PM

Any recommendations on a file host?

Also, I might as well kill the suspense now, lest it be broken inadvertently. The big project (still in progress):

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 6, 2012, 05:26 PM

Alright, uploading drop box. It's gonna be a while.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2012, 05:46 PM

Even zipped up?

Oh and Sek, while its possibel to convert a level.dat from single player to multi the copy past is only partially implemented so I'm not spending hours doing it. It will have to be the mcedit route if alchemy bags don't work, thats my next test.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 6, 2012, 05:57 PM

I'm on DSL, my upload is pretty pathetic. 5 min to go. I'll start figuring out how to send you the link.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2012, 06:23 PM

Okay I copied the world over and I logged in. It looks like the spawn is -93,,234 but the closest of Dakars quarries with the error is at -295,,458. And the minimap data files are client side. And I cant teleport people to a location till 1.3. Gonna go creative and fly there quick.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 6, 2012, 06:33 PM

What's the server addy because theoldserver:25566 isn't working for me.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2012, 06:35 PM

Okay Fatty is here, try again.

Forum Links
Forum Rules