Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > b/w G3 upgrade to Sonet G4

b/w G3 upgrade to Sonet G4
ZSS
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 5, 2004, 11:31 PM

I'm looking to upgrade my b/w G3 with a Sonet G4 processor. Anyone out there done it? Is it a reliable product? Any probs to be aware of?

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 6, 2004, 04:08 PM

Check around the CPU reviews over @ XLR8YourMac.com. The reviews are not good.

Frankly, I would avoid the new upgrades entirely. They cripple the bus speed on the B&Ws from 100MHz to 66MHz, which is insane. I would personally recommend the 900MHz 750FX G3 processor upgrade from OWC for $230. 512k of L2 cache, and it allows the system to continue to run at full bus speed, meaning it is probably just as fast as the $349 Sonnet.

I had one of the 900 G3s myself in my B&W before I sold it. Excellent little processor.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

ZSS  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2004, 12:03 AM

Thanks for your help! I'll check xlr8

djohnson
Professional Poster
Feb 11, 2004, 12:30 AM

Would you suggest the 750fx as a viable processor in a beige g3?

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 11, 2004, 12:44 AM

Depends.

If I had a Beige that I were looking to upgrade, I'd be deciding between the G3 900 for $235 and the G4 533 for $150.

I think overall the G3 900 would be faster since the 7410 series G4 is nothing super-impressive. But then again, it is significantly cheaper and many people who have bought these have gotten overclocks of 600MHz. So, given the price difference, I'd have to recommend the G4. I would normally have never recommended it because only weeks ago it was $200. But the $50 price drop, and the overclock potential have made it quite a nice value.

But if you're still an OS 9 user and want raw speed, then the G3 900 would literally whip the G4 533 since OS 9 is not AltiVec aware. But if you're running OS X, the G4 533 at that price is quite nice as I said, and would be even nicer if you could get 600MHz out of it.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

u3b3rg33k
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 14, 2004, 12:59 AM

I have a powerlogix G4 ZIF 533/550 running happily @ 650MHz. and under insane conditions I hit 750MHz (don't expect to get that.) that card has a convenient rotary dial to change the bus:cpu ratio so it's easy to change, and according to powerlogix (check their site to be certain, always) overclocking + warranty? sure.
also recommending xlr8yourmac.com for reviews of chips.

by the way: B/W or Yikes boards are fussy with temperatures. chip speeds that work in the winter may or may not (likely not) be stable in the summer with stock cooling

ZSS  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2004, 12:58 AM

Thanks, that's good to know. I really do need the G4 becaude the real issue is that I need Altivec for running an external La Cie DVD burner.

Forum Links
Forum Rules