Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > RAM Anyone?

RAM Anyone?
ZSS
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2004, 10:19 PM

I just upgraded my processor in my B/W to a 550 mhz G4. I am running Panther. Its a little faster, but I definitely need more ram (currently running at 512mb). I'm trying to find the most affordable option, but don't want to buy the wrong thing. I know I need 128 pin pc100 SDRAM, but I'm not sure what "non-ECC" or "Unregistered" mean. Also not sure if voltage matters or what terms like "64x64" mean.

Best I can find is 512mb for $85 at:
http://bizrate.compuvest.com/Description.jsp?ItemID=319

Its a generic brand and that carries some risk. I know that cheap RAM may not be the best thing to do, but I don't really know how to judge what is neccesary, what is potentially non-compliant with my machine, and what is a good deal. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
"We are told that talent creates its own opportunities. Yet, it seems that intense desires create not only its own opportunities, but its own talent as well". Bruce Lee

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 16, 2004, 11:29 PM

First off, here is a selection of memory that is guranteed to work in the B&W.

ECC stands for 'Error Correcting Code'. ECC RAM basically does what the abbreviation stands for, it spends more time correcting errors in code. ECC is most common in servers, and very few 'consumer' boards are capable of using it. As far as I know, no Power Mac to date has been capable of using ECC memory.

Unregistered is basically normal non-ECC memory, which is what you will need.

I have never seen an instance where the voltage matters, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

And as far as I know, 64x64 refers to the size of the memory chips on the RAM module and their bit. So, 64MBx64bit. If you've got a 512MB stick of RAM that is 64x64, then it will have eight 64MB 64bit chips across the DIMM. If you have a 256MB 32x64, then it will have eight 32MB 64bit chips.

B&W G3's are not capable of utilizing 64x64 DIMMs, which is why if you put a 512MB 64x64 DIMM in a B&W, it will be recognized as 256MBs since the B&W can only read up to 32x64. 32 x 8 = 256MBs. So, that is why the B&W RAM max is 1GB.

And as far as what brand to go with, I'd recommend any of the RAM from the site I linked above. OWC's own brand of RAM is supposedly superb, they are usually quite picky about what products they carry, so most of their stuff is usually top notch.

And if you can, try to get RAM with a low CAS, such as 2.0 or 2.5 rather than 3.0. The lower the CAS number, the faster the memory is.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Komisar
Mac Elite
May 17, 2004, 05:32 PM

listen 512mb for under 100$ is a pretty good deal where i live.... just a guideline for yaa

ZSS  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2004, 10:13 PM

Very helpful, thanks! I undestand about the 512 registering as 256 in a G3 B/W, but what if its been updated to a G4? I'm betting you're going to say that its an architecture issue and the same rule applies?
"We are told that talent creates its own opportunities. Yet, it seems that intense desires create not only its own opportunities, but its own talent as well". Bruce Lee

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 17, 2004, 10:31 PM

Correct.

Which is why the first Power Mac G4s, the 'Yikes!' series, shares the exact same problem. While it uses a G4 CPU, it uses the exact same motherboard that the B&W used.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

rag on a muffin
Senior User
Jun 9, 2004, 06:36 PM

my dad knows where to shop, he got a b&w with maxxed out ram, 2 terabytes of HD, for $50 USD. he also got a 24" SGI for $50.
Superhero Of The Computer Rage
MacBook Pro 2.16 Ghz, PowerBook G4 12" 1 Ghz (DVI) Dell 24" monitor
Porsche 944, Mercedes 240D (running onWaste Vegetable Oil)

Forum Links
Forum Rules